rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to cultivate a more productive mindset?

I searched the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for. Very recently I've become aware of the importance of observing your ratio of (information) consumption versus production. Of course most people are big consumers, they consume information coming from TV, Facebook, websites and even books without producing much back.

What I mean by consumption is "inward flow of information" from the outside world into your brain, and what I mean by productivity is not in the conventional sense. A realtor can be "productive" without producing anything. An accountant produces reports and such but this still is a routine task without much creativity. However people like writers, architects, (some) artists, etc produce really new stuff. (I don't mean to bash the realtor or accountant, I'm just talking about productivity that involves creativity.)

Honestly I like consuming far more than producing even though my livelihood depends on productivity (I work in theoretical science). It's not just about making a living, I believe being productive is an essential part of feeling good about oneself as a man. So I'm wondering how I can develop a more productive mindset. I stopped watching TV and using Facebook a few years ago but I found something new: the Manosphere ha ha ha!

It seems to me meditation is a good exercise for increasing productivity (in the sense that I stated above) as it shuts down the flow of information from outside into your mind and it also stops you from regurgitating useless everyday memories so makes it easier for your mind to create its own. Any other ideas? Please note that I'm not talking about tricks to make a more productive use of one's time, but about how to cultivate the mindset so that one's default mode be productive instead of consumptive.

A whore ain't nothing but a trick to a pimp. (Iceberg Slim)
Beauty is in the erection of the beholder. (duedue)
Grab your life by the pussy.
A better question to ask is "What EXACTLY do I want out of life and what EXACTLY am I doing to get EXACTLY that? If you can answer that question truthfully you will be the most Alpha motherfucker you will ever need to be. (PapayaTapper)

Good idea for a thread.

As you say cutting out distractions like TV and Facebook is a pretty good starting point, as is regular meditation for helping to create an optimal mindset.

Creating a routine conducive to productivity will produce benefits. Get up at the same time every day, create a morning routine, set aside time slots for certain tasks. Limit alcohol intake. Instil good habits into your life.

NLP could also help, a quick search on youtube for 'Productivity NLP' throws up several videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...tivity+nlp

There is also an abundance of literature on this subject. A quick google search throws up numerous books, such as:

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
Work Smarter: 350+ Online Resources Today’s Top Entrepreneurs Use To Increase Productivity and Achieve Their Goals, by Nick Loper
The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More With Less by Richard Koch

Seek and ye shall find.

Cultivate discipline. The older I get, the more certain I am that discipline is at the very core of happiness and personal freedom.

Life is pretty hard, and it's natural for us to want to coast at every opportunity we get. I think by nature I am particularly guilty of this. The thing I have done that has had the single greatest effect on my life, my mood, and my personal resilience, is to deliberately introduce things into my life which force me to be disciplined.

For example, I made the switch to training first thing in the morning. I now lift, do conditioning, or do yoga, every single morning before 0615. Most mornings, when my alarm goes off, I do not want to get out of bed and train. This is compounded by the fact that I do not actually need to be up at that time. I could hit snooze and take another hour or more. But I have elevated the discipline above comfort and convenience, and so every day I start my day by deliberately overcoming the desire to pick the easy path.

It's more than just picking a routine, though I agree with Lagavulin above that a routine is highly beneficial for your mental state. It is about putting yourself in positions where you stake your pride on consistently making the hard choice.

In a way, what works for me is turning this into a kind of game or competition against some of my worst attributes. So I set two alarms - one I have to get out of bed to turn off - and the second one is set to go off 5 minutes after the first. When I wake up, the goal is to beat the lazy voice inside my head, and make sure I'm out of bed by the time the second alarm goes off.

If you're anything like me, you will naturally rationalise the bad choices you make as being generally inconsequential in and of themselves. Making discipline the highest virtue, on which your pride rests, throws these rationalisations into stark relief as the excuses they are. When discipline for its own sake becomes the goal, it is much easier to concentrate on getting things done - not because the thing, of itself, is important, but because the discipline is important.

If you ever find yourself truly at rock bottom, with everything seemingly compounding to make life very tough, you might have the frightening realisation of just how alone you really are (even if you're lucky enough to have family who love you). At times like these, a firm commitment to a disciplined life can keep you level, and help you find the resilience to persevere. I believe this is because when you prize discipline you concentrate much less on how you feel. You simply have to pick the disciplined action in the moment, and the work continues to get done. When life is complex, and unrelenting in what it throws at you, you can simplify things a great deal by simply redoubling your commitment to being disciplined. In my experience, there is a surprising amount of solace and comfort to be found in it.

^^Excellent post^^

I think by nature I am also guilty of coasting, I've realised though that it is detrimental to the satisfaction and sense of fulfilment I get from life. It's much better to be striving to get better, go further, pushing against and overcoming challenges. That's what makes you feel alive, and lets you get the most from life.

Out of curiosity H1N1, what time do you get up in the morning and go to bed at night? Do you keep to the same routine at weekends? Have you actually finished your workout by 06:15?

Quote: (08-13-2017 03:10 PM)Lagavulin Wrote:  

Out of curiosity H1N1, what time do you get up in the morning and go to bed at night? Do you keep to the same routine at weekends? Have you actually finished your workout by 06:15?

Ah, should have been clearer. I am up at 0600, and training by 0615. I am generally in bed before 1130, and shoot for 11. I do keep to this routine at weekends, though if I'm out with friends I may get to bed a little later. I still wake up at the same time, regardless of how much sleep I have had. This makes it a greater test of discipline and one I enjoy passing more because of it.

I should mention though that I have a very peculiar constitution. My system is unusually tolerant of stress, conflict, aggression, chaos etc. However, it is remarkably intolerant of any kind of substance, and goes into fairly serious, immediate and prolonged revolt at the introduction of booze or drugs. Consequently, these play almost no part in my life, and that does simplify things. I am also naturally highly functional on minimal sleep, even for extended periods. Again though, if I have a single bottle of beer it has a marked effect on me for 24 hours, including exhaustion, becoming incredibly morose, etc etc.

Because of these traits, this arrangement works for me. And since I basically don't drink or do drugs, it becomes a win-able battle to wake up after minimal sleep and train (though I will modulate my training to ensure I don't get injured). It may not work so well with other people's lifestyles.

I need to get back to this kind of routine myself. I spent about 6 months getting up at 0530 and training first thing due to work and commute restrictions. I felt the benefits of this lifestyle change very quickly, in particular going to bed at the same time every night and waking up at 0525 every morning without the need of an alarm.

I would generally lie in a little longer at weekends but be up and about for 0630. It's incredible how productive you can be at this time on Saturday and Sunday mornings, which also has the added benefit of freeing up time on your evenings and the rest of your weekend.

I stopped doing this gradually when I moved closer to work, have resolved to begin again. Hence my early rise this morning.

Do you train on an empty stomach?

Yes, I do train on an empty stomach. Obviously, training earlier and with no food, the weights I use are less than they might be later in the day. It doesn't seem to affect progress. I am moving close to the weight I was moving when I trained later in the day, and I am certain that were I to train later in the day now I would have increased my working weight respectably.

I also don't really eat carbs, unless I'm out/with family, etc. The first thing I do when I get in from training is to slam a high fat, high protein breakfast. Usually bacon, eggs, avocado, tomato, and cottage cheese. I don't really like eating too soon after I wake up, so this arrangement suits me.

Early starts work for me too. Up at 5:30. A Large glass of water. 20 mins stretching. 10 mins of Spanish (beginner). Dressed and then cycle to the local swimming pool. Swim 1km. Cycle to work, eat a bowl of porridge ready to start at 7:30 a good hour before all the other Muppets get in. Much more productive when my day starts like this.

Quote: (08-14-2017 02:57 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  

Yes, I do train on an empty stomach. Obviously, training earlier and with no food, the weights I use are less than they might be later in the day. It doesn't seem to affect progress. I am moving close to the weight I was moving when I trained later in the day, and I am certain that were I to train later in the day now I would have increased my working weight respectably.

I also don't really eat carbs, unless I'm out/with family, etc. The first thing I do when I get in from training is to slam a high fat, high protein breakfast. Usually bacon, eggs, avocado, tomato, and cottage cheese. I don't really like eating too soon after I wake up, so this arrangement suits me.

I may have to give this approach a try. Even when I have trained early in the morning I have always at least had a protein shake and a bit of fruit 20 minutes beforehand.

I have read on the forum about the benefits of fasting but it is also something I have never tried.

It is interesting that even though you can lift less weight, as I have also found with an early morning routine, that progress is more or less unaffected.

Food for thought.

Im with H1N1 here, productivity is just an idea you have the discipline to follow up on.

I like the idea of the personal bank account, you make deposits by keeping promises to yourself, even little ones. You withdraw by slacking. Willpower just like everything else is habit.