rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Nicaragua 2017 Trip Report

Hey folks,

I know there's some content already on Nicaragua but most of it is a few years old. Figured I'd try and add some value after an awesome 3 week long trip down there. I'll touch on general need-to-knows, three of the main cities (Managua, Leon, San Juan Del Sur), tourist+local game, etc.

About me/background: 25, white, athletic, 6'2/210. I do well in Canada/USA, etc. Although I'm relatively new to the "game" world. Pretty sure most of my past lays were in spite of myself. Onward and upward.

General

Cost of Living

Still exceptionally low, it's almost comical. Nicaragua is now THE poorest country in the western hemisphere. Yes, it was surpassed by Haiti. I got to know a couple intelligent locals and they dismally explain the level of high-government corruption that completely marginalizes 80% of the population.

Local currency is the cordoba. 30 cordobas = 1 USD. I found it easier to use cordobas than USD, but both work perfectly. With USD you run the risk of vendors selling you stuff at tourist prices.

Taxi from the airport in Managua to anywhere in the city: $20 (this is a tourist trap; it can be avoided by leaving the airport on foot and hailing a street taxi.

Street taxis: <4$ to go anywhere. Super cheap, had no issues at all. As long as you can say "cuanto cuesta por holiday inn express" and understand the number reply, you're good. They won't speak English. In Nica, taxis do not give you a private ride. They'll pick people up on the way, drop them off first if it's closer, etc.

American style hotel room: $100 - these are priced for tourists obviously.

Fast food: 5$

Local food: 4$ or less, with hidden gems for 2-3$ for full, delicious meals.

Touristy type tours: normal tourist trap prices, anywhere from $20-100 depending on the type of tour.

Bottle of Flor de Cana local rum (40oz): 5-7$. By far the cheapest decent rum I've ever had. You can pay about double this price for Smirnoff.

Beer at bars: if it's a local bar, say in Managua, you're looking at under 1$. I went to a random Pink Floyd tribute night at a local bar with a girl I pipelined and was the only white dude there. Beers were 25 cordobas (83 cents) and the bartender did not understand at first when I told him to keep the change. If it's a tourist/hostel bar in Leon/Granada/San Juan Del Sur, you're looking at 40-50 cordobas ($1.50).

Renting an apartment is easy to do. In San Juan/Leon, two of the most popular expat spots, you can get a city centre 1 bedroom for like 300$. Don't use the internet for this. Go down there, meet expats, get connected. It'll take you like 3 days, tops.

Culture+Safety

In general, I find Nicaragua to have two sides to it. Every main metro area has a "propped up" portion to it. Managua in particular, where you can stay at a nice Holiday Inn with 24/7 security and walk easily to the nearby mall and feel (mostly) at home. I couchsurfed with a local for a few days (not for financial reasons, but to genuinely get the local flavour). When I told the receptionist at the Holiday Inn where I was going, she thought I was nuts. Nonetheless, I convinced her to get me a cab and off I went. Basically ended up in the fucking ghetto, where 25 year old white dudes may as well be aliens. I got stared at like I was wearing a toaster on my head. Children running around naked, wild dogs scavenging, beggars knocking on doors, houses that are lucky to have a tin roof that doesn't leak or windows that actually close. This is how most most Nicas live.

The girl I stayed with was pretty cool and quite hot. She earns about $500USD per month and is comfortably middle class while supporting herself (she is a rare one not living with her family). Got the notch. Decent lay. We returned to her palce at like 11pm the first night I stayed, and as we were entering a big brawl broke out in the street. Like 10-15 kids all aged 12 and under got into it. Dogs going apeshit. People in houses visibly closing gates/locking doors. Nuts.

People in Nicaragua are not overly educated. Thus, the level of English is extremely low. In the tourist areas, you'll get a bit, but not much. Do yourself a favour and spend a few weeks on duolingo before coming here, it will help. The only place I found reliable English was at hotels and hostels. The ones that do speak English generally go work at call centres where they can make good money (like 400-600USD a month).

Many locals live on a couple dollars per day. They feed their family with beans and rice and plantains. If you like to be generous, as I do within my means, you can absolutely make their day with money that you wouldn't even notice you misplaced. I bought an ice cream from a vendor for 20 cords, he was super haggard and had facial deformities. Gave him 100 cords to keep the change. Dude fucking cried.

In the tourist areas, you'll be quite safe. I spent a lot of time in San Juan and Leon, and a day in Granada, and at no point did I feel remotely unsafe. Managua is a slightly different animal (I'll discuss when I list the specific cities).

Keep in mind that you're still in Central America, although Nica is THE safest country in CA. People are still dirt poor and white people flashing money still present obvious targets. I'm a pretty big dude (6'2, 210 lbs, muscular but not shredded), so maybe that's why I felt secure. Nica men are tiny. There is NO workout culture here. Lots of beer bellies combined with paltry linguini arms. The dudes are fucking ugly and weak. I saw maybe two bouncers who were bigger than me the entire trip.

Gaming Locals

I don't have much worldly experience with game, outside of Canada-USA-Mexico. That said, I found Nica girls to be generally easy. They do, however, fall into two distinct categories.

First, you have the shy, innocent, virgin-or-close-to-it, 19-23yo who lives with Mom and Dad. Sometimes this barrier will be too great, but usually if you treat them well, pay for the drinks, they'll lust for your lifestyle and for you. Get them back to a hotel and they're yours. Do not try asshole game with these girls. There's no need.

Second, you have the independent woman who has finally (at like age 25+) broken free of mom and dad. These girls are so DTF it's hilarious. I pipelined one on Tinder. Chatted with her for a couple days. She literally took a shuttle from San Juan to Managua, met me as I got off the plane, and gave me my flag at the hotel within 90 minutes of landing. Awesome lay.

Nica girls are very feminine, but the hot ones are tough to find. As mentioned before, visual aesthetics are a low priority here. Nobody takes care of themselves, they're mostly ugly. But, like anywhere, there are diamonds in the rough. Find them. Fuck them.

Cities

Managua

Managua is, by all accounts, a fucking dump. Generally ugly city, no real town centre to speak of, not a place you want to spend more than a few days. Only reason I did is because I wanted the local feel and I had pipelined a few girls here. I stayed at a hotel for 2 nights and couchsurfed for 2 nights.

Walking around is rather tough. Crosswalks don't exist, stop lights are treated like a suggestion. Be prepared to run across busy streets when you see the slightest opening. Traffic is horrible and drivers go fast. That said, I didn't feel unsafe being in taxi's, etc. I actually found that the drivers were pretty good.

As a white guy/obvious tourist, you'll be told not to walk anywhere at night. I risked it, didn't have any trouble. If I had a daughter, I'd still tell her to stay the fuck away.

The best nightlife in the city is at Gallerias Santo Domingo, which was 1km from my hotel. It's a huge, well developed mall. There's multiple bars/clubs and I had a great time here. Booze is pricier though, like up to 3$ per drink (lol). I went to like 3 different bars here, can't remember the names. All were solid. The crowds here are definitely your upper-middle+ class Nicas. Well-dressed, decent looking, etc. Majority of Nicas simply can't afford to go to these places.

There's more nightlife near the Metrocentro mall in central Managua, but I didn't make it out here. I'm told it's fairly similar to Gallerias SD.

The Managua port is the hot tourist spot. It's been very recently overhauled and is actually quite nice. It's absolutely lined with security/police, as the government tries to maintain order/normalcy to cater to the tourist dollars it desperately needs. There's go-karting here which was fun, for 10$. Numerous bars/restaurants and tons of tourists+locals. I recommend visiting it once. It's walking distance from city hall/a big castle, which will essentially complete your sightseeing in Managua.

Managua is more expensive, in every way, than other Nica cities. For that reason, and for it's general shittiness, I recommend a quick visit only.

Leon

I'll start off by saying that I fucking love this city. If I ever decide to become an expat, I will seriously consider moving here.

Population: about 200,000
Safety: high
Cost of living: cheapest I saw in the country

I stayed in a private room at Bigfoot Hostel for 5 nights and had a blast. Did the lavashot challenge (which is a brutal 15-second downing of 4 shots of rum infused with hot peppers for up to two weeks, disgusting). Got a sweet t-shirt though.

Met some expats here living in a decent 1 bedroom for 350 a month, wifi included.

Bigfoot hostel was great. The party was on at night, on-site restaurant had great food, if mildly overpriced (5$ for a full meal). Beers were dirt cheap, 1$. This is the hostel famous for volcano boarding. I did it and highly recommend it. You hike up the most active volcano in the Americas and then board down it on a toboggan, trying for the fastest speed. I hit 64km/h, second fastest of the day. This is a great social setting for pipelining. I got friendly with an Aussie chick and got the lay that night.

Hostel game is covered very well by DigitalNomad, so I won't get into it. That said, private rooms are a necessity for easy pulling.

The only clubs in Leon worth visiting are called Bohemios and Oxygene. They're standard clubs and you'll find tourists and locals. Had a decent time at both.

Disclaimer: I got sick as fuck after eating, of all places, McDonalds. I had been eating local Nica food for several days and had no issues. McDonalds glued me to the toilet. I later found out that the McDonalds in town has a horrible reputation for this. Avoid it (which will be tough because it is the ONLY late-night food choice).

I loved the vibe of Leon. Super walkable, friendly people, a bit more English, super safe. Highly recommend it.

San Juan Del Sur

San Juan (nobody refers to it as San Juan Del Sur) is the tourist hub of Nicaragua. It attracts tourists and expats from all over the world.

To put it lightly, tourists here are put on a high pedestal. It is technically illegal to smoke weed in public. And to drink in public. And to piss in public. Illegal for the locals, that is. As a tourist, you have almost free reign. The town is small (7,000 people + tourists) and is completely and unequivocally sustained entirely by tourism. I am approximately 80% sure I could have walked up to a local, in front of a cop, punched the local in the face, and he would have went to jail, not me. I'm not an idiot, and I try to be extremely friendly with locals anywhere, but that's how well tourists are treated here.

Getting around San Juan is hilariously easy. Nobody obeys the rules of the road, there aren't really any signs, but everyone drives cautiously. Saw zero accidents and felt 100% safe crossing the road at all times. I even rented a quad one day and a dirt bike another, drove around comfortably. It's very safe here.

Some restaurants are expensive. Avoid them. There's a few (ask around, I don't think they have names) that offer hot local meals served to you for 60-80 cordobas (2-3$). I'm talking full meals: rice, chicken, plantains, salad, beans, cold drink. These places were awesome and I ate at them every day.

You can get a grungy city centre apartment for about $350. A house for $500+. A nicer apartment will be about 500 as well, but they're hard to find. If you aren't picky, you can live down here for next to nothing.

The internet can suck sometimes, and the power will go out randomly. May not be suitable for someone who needs extremely reliable internet to work remotely.

Beach is awesome. I took surfing lessons and had a blast. I took my quad out to one of the neighbouring beaches (the one in town is not good for surf) about 15km away. Rented a board and bought a lesson for 2 hours ($20 total). Then had drinks with some other Canadians at the beach bar. Good times.

Sunday Funday

The epitome of partying in Central America. I've partied in Vegas and Cancun, probably the two largest nightlife hubs in the Americas, and Sunday Funday comes close. You pay 30$ for a ticket (or $15 if you're staying at Hostel Pachamama like I was). This gives you a welcome drink, a shirt, and access to all 4 locations plus transportation in what is an epic 12 hour long pool crawl. The first location is at Pacha, and I was able to pull a British girl at 1:30pm up to my room. This girl was also staying there so it was easy. You won't be able to take non-quests into dorms, in ANY hostel. You need to pay for them.

If you go to San Juan, and you want easy access to chicks from all over the world, you can't miss Sunday Funday. I was very close to pulling a hot Israeli (there are plenty of them here) for my second of the day but couldn't ultimately get her to abandon her boyfriend back in fucking Colombia.

Anyway, I crashed by like 10pm, as I had been partying and fucking relentlessly for 13 days straight, catching all sort of bacteria sharing beer pongs and doing other silly shit. I was virtually comatose by the end of the night. On the toilet, alternating between puking and shitting. Yeah, I overdid it, but it was great.

There are two main night venues in town, both on the beach. The first, and most popular, is Iguana Bar. Decent club with decent prices, you'll have fun here. Full of tourists and locals. The other is about 300 feet from it, also on the beach. This one is the final bar of Sunday Funday, so I only made it here for like 20 minutes.

Few other misc points about San Juan:

-this is a fun town with a great vibe. You can approach any group on the beach with a bottle and drink with them. It's that easy to make new friends. If you're someone looking to improve your social game (not just your pulling game, although they are very related), go to SJDS.

-There are dudes all over town selling sunglasses. These are drug dealers. (You can also buy sunglasses though). I don't do drugs, but I was told that many people bought blow which was fake/weak, if that matters to you.

-Don't shop at the main grocery store. It's stupid expensive. Shop at the small markets/street vendors.

-the whores come out at night. They're sneaky too. I almost got fooled by one. She wasn't aggressive, and I figured she was just a drunk local hitting on me. Only after many minutes did I realize she was a whore. It's tough though, because if you ask, and she isn't, they'll be all offended. Truth will eventually come out though. Pretty sure she offered to blow me for 10 bucks. I did not oblige.

Anyhow, that's all I have. Hopefully I added some value and hopefully the post isn't too long. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to hit me up. I have gotten a ton of valuable info lurking this forum for months in my quest to enhance my game; I hope this serves as me giving back, even slightly.

CJM

Great datasheet, Nicaragua has been on my list for a long time. Have you heard anything about Omepete or Corn Islands game/party-wise?

I think you mean Ometepe, and yeah I have. Several people I met had went there and spoke highly, same with the Corn Islands. Both of those places are considered higher luxury type places, so you'll pay more, especially at Little Corn Island. Gamewise, I really don't think you can do better than San Juan. So many tourists, decent locals, and constant turnover as people come and go. You won't find many locals on Ometepe or the Corn Islands; it's just too expensive and inconvenient for locals to get there (other than employees of course). Expect primarily Canadian/Aussie/Western European tourists.

Another place I neglected to mention is called the Surfing Donkey hostel. It's about 30 mins by taxi from Leon, and then you need to take a boat to get there (like 5 minutes). It's amazing. Surfing, horseback riding, beach sports, and the most beautiful hostel I've ever seen. Feels more like a resort. Decent party vibe at night too, but all tourists and pricey for a hostel.

Great Datasheet.

You have any cheap Language schools there as it's one of the cheapest countries in Latin America? ( And by cheap i mean 5 $ an hour for private classes)

Ah, glad you asked that. Totally forgot to mention it. But yes, I did look into it and may someday go back for it. The best deals are for full immersion. Generally that'll include 20 hours of class per week (9-1 Mon-Fri or whatever), homestay with a local family including meals (some, maybe not all), plus weekend cultural trips. All for like 250-300USD per week. That's huge value. If you wanted a similar program in French Canada to learn to parle francais, you'd be looking at 3x the cost.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publica...agua.shtml

^Some good info here. If someone on the forum was interested in doing this at some point (I seriously doubt you'll find a better deal anywhere in the world) I would definitely consider joining.

Quote: (07-25-2017 10:16 AM)CJM Wrote:  

Sunday Funday

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/michaelporfirio/status/847204333456424961][/url]

Just kidding, great datasheet OP.

Quote: (07-25-2017 03:27 PM)CJM Wrote:  

Ah, glad you asked that. Totally forgot to mention it. But yes, I did look into it and may someday go back for it. The best deals are for full immersion. Generally that'll include 20 hours of class per week (9-1 Mon-Fri or whatever), homestay with a local family including meals (some, maybe not all), plus weekend cultural trips. All for like 250-300USD per week. That's huge value. If you wanted a similar program in French Canada to learn to parle francais, you'd be looking at 3x the cost.

^Some good info here. If someone on the forum was interested in doing this at some point (I seriously doubt you'll find a better deal anywhere in the world) I would definitely consider joining.

Good info OP. Honestly, i'm not interested in full immersion ( only 10 hours private classess each week ) would be in my interest. So Spending only around 50 $ each week for classes would be the goal.
I will figure this out but i see that most of the programs are immersion programs.

Quote: (07-26-2017 02:51 PM)SpursFan741 Wrote:  

Quote: (07-25-2017 03:27 PM)CJM Wrote:  

Good info OP. Honestly, i'm not interested in full immersion ( only 10 hours private classess each week ) would be in my interest. So Spending only around 50 $ each week for classes would be the goal.
I will figure this out but i see that most of the programs are immersion programs.

In Granada

Classes one-to-one in Granada:

20 hours, 4 hrs per day, 5 days a week: $110 USD
(groups of 2 people: $180).

10 hours, 2 hrs per day, 5 days a week: $60 USD
(groups of 2 people: $100).

Hourly Rate: $7 USD per hour
(groups of 2 people: $12 USD per hour).

http://www.spanish1on1.net/

I remember walking by this place.

Great sheet. This is an accurate portrayal of what I experienced there. Here's a video from the Sunday Funday I went to for those who are curious:
https://www.facebook.com/thedronebrother...615781159/

Currently Nicaragua endures civil unrest leaving over 100 death, due to Ortegas response. Anyone in the country?

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=5BB475B6

girls like this there, would not fuck for free.

Quote: (07-27-2017 02:34 PM)DigitalNomad Wrote:  

Great sheet. This is an accurate portrayal of what I experienced there. Here's a video from the Sunday Funday I went to for those who are curious:
https://www.facebook.com/thedronebrother...615781159/

Same shit like kho phi phi and kho phangan with full moon parties. I fucking hate backpacker trash.

@sync- Then don’t go, thanks for your very informative 78th and 79th posts to the forum.

@lime I’m curious how it is right now as well. Still planning to go for New Years this year but the political situation is definitely creating some doubts.

Quote: (06-01-2018 05:12 AM)DigitalNomad Wrote:  

@sync- Then don’t go, thanks for your very informative 78th and 79th posts to the forum.

@lime I’m curious how it is right now as well. Still planning to go for New Years this year but the political situation is definitely creating some doubts.

Why go to Nicaragua to fuck ugly western girls. I would concentrate on local girls.