rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Autoimmune and food sensitivity thread

I've had trouble eating a lot of food due to several chronic conditions. However I tried a version of paleo recently called AIP or autoimmune paleo. You get rid of alcohol, chocolate, nightshades, certain spices, nuts, seeds and dairy. After a month you reintroduce problematic foods one at time and see what you react to. Those foods you remove for good. So that for me was dairy and most likely nuts but I'm awful about keeping nuts away. I felt fantastic during that month almost symptom free, I was eating super restricted but it was difficult to maintain.
http://autoimmunewellness.com/category/a...-protocol/
http://www.phoenixhelix.com/

I bought the phoenix helix book which I recommend since it too the point.

Last time I was at my GI I got some info regarding a food sensitivity test called an ALCAT which tests 200 or more foods depending on what you pay for it. Its about 500 bucks so its a quite a decision. Its tells you what your sensitive too and a nurse than tells you what type of diet you need to do based on the results. There is a newer test called an MRT which is a little more but 400 bucks for the advice. I was wondering if anybody here has food sensitives or interested in it.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname...id=30#what

Goes over the difference between and food sensitivity and food allergies. I think if your eating foods you have trouble digesting it makes it harder to gain or lose weight too. Your body doesn't react the way you expect it in my experience.

I found some good videos on Alcat and MRT

Alcat

MRT

What you need to do for test.

Quote: (07-18-2017 09:23 PM)kbell Wrote:  

...and most likely nuts but I'm awful about keeping nuts away.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5TTKyn6nuPqYkcJXWgc_...HMLx4V5v0c]

This concept is something everyone should try at least once. It basically gives your body a hard reset.

In the past I've tested cutting various foods out of my life with great success. My diet is fairly good now and I've been counting calories with no restrictions. I'm eating all the groceries in my kitchen now and within the next couple days I'm going to try completely restricting all soy and corn products. It'll be tough finding some items soy-free and corn syrup-free but I'll just make my own sauces or whatever if I have to.

Coconut nectar with some salt or fish sauce gives a similar tastes without the problems of soy. Not quite the same but can be good. Corn reminds me of vanilla taste wise so that might help for replacing it.
[Image: CCS-00201-5.jpg]

Nice catch on the phrasing.

This is a good video on "12 bad foods to avoid" (and why) from a naturopathic perspective:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9WCzq-a1z7A

Eliminating dairly, gluten, corn, and soy have been huge for me to heal from IBS and ezcema, along with essentially cutting out oils, fried foods, and soy.

Not sure if the links above cover FODMAPs but that covers foods that can cause digestive problems, and night shades are in the group of FODMAPs.

Also recommend watching "Wheat: the UNhealthy whole grain" by Dr. William Davis, M.D.

You should also be very careful to avoid additives like MSG - often hidden on lables under other names - and aspartame.

Quote: (07-18-2017 09:23 PM)kbell Wrote:  

I've had trouble eating a lot of food due to several chronic conditions. However I tried a version of paleo recently called AIP or autoimmune paleo. You get rid of alcohol, chocolate, nightshades, certain spices, nuts, seeds and dairy. After a month you reintroduce problematic foods one at time and see what you react to. Those foods you remove for good. So that for me was dairy and most likely nuts but I'm awful about keeping nuts away. I felt fantastic during that month almost symptom free, I was eating super restricted but it was difficult to maintain.
http://autoimmunewellness.com/category/a...-protocol/
http://www.phoenixhelix.com/

I bought the phoenix helix book which I recommend since it too the point.

Last time I was at my GI I got some info regarding a food sensitivity test called an ALCAT which tests 200 or more foods depending on what you pay for it. Its about 500 bucks so its a quite a decision. Its tells you what your sensitive too and a nurse than tells you what type of diet you need to do based on the results. There is a newer test called an MRT which is a little more but 400 bucks for the advice. I was wondering if anybody here has food sensitives or interested in it.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname...id=30#what

Goes over the difference between and food sensitivity and food allergies. I think if your eating foods you have trouble digesting it makes it harder to gain or lose weight too. Your body doesn't react the way you expect it in my experience.

Thanks for sharing this. I also have long term conditions (gut and bowel) and I've been following the Autoimmune Protocol. I've been following the guidance of Sally Ballantyne outlined on her website (https://www.thepaleomom.com/start-here/t...-protocol/) and her book "The Paleo Approach" (very science heavy, if you like that kind of thing).

I had the same struggles as you do regarding giving up nuts. I managed to compensate by eating lots of avocados and drinking coconut milk smoothies. For me the key is to keep my intake of healthy fats high to curb food cravings.

Apart from the avocados and coconut milk my diet includes steamed non-starchy vegetables and boiled eggs. (Eggs are not strictly AIP but I don't have any issues with them). I also have kefir and bone broth every day.

I've definitely noticed an improvement in my conditions following this diet. I used to find it hard to stick to but it's gotten easier with time. My symptoms return if I cheat so that keeps me motivated.

I haven't had any food sensitivity tests yet. I was considering having an IgG test or a stool test. (Explanation here: https://draxe.com/leaky-gut-test/). If you do have a food sensitivity test please report back on how it went.

I'll look into the two books you recommended.

How do you do AIP while traveling Rob?

I'm not sure how FODMAPS works every time I read it seems a very complicated set of foods to avoid, but it supposed to reduce gas which is one of the primary problems of IBS. The gas will hurt and can't be released for hours, so it can be excruciating.

This poster seems to like MRT a lot better. ALCAT is a much older test 30 years old it sounds like. More reliable and consistent results.

https://getwellified.com/mrt-vs-alcat/

Phoenix Helix isn't a big fan but if used with AIP diet can help fine tune the diet.

I decided on MRT since the results seemed more consistent from what I've read. I'm going to do the test that is 150 different foods and additives. Through the company its $595 for that test or the next test down which is 120 foods is $495. There is a nutritionist near where I live who is affiliated with MRT called LEAP certified. LEAP is the meal system they make based on the sensitives. The nutritionist can get the test for me for 100 less and has the kit in her office. I have 1.5 years worth of daily food data in myfitnesspal app so hopefully she can access that somehow. I figure it would be wise to work with one for this type of endeavor since it may be more complicated than Paleo. I see her next Wednesday.

http://nowleap.com/test-profiles/

That is a list of all of the foods tested.

Gave the blood today, it was four vials. I almost passed out on the 4th vial and took awhile to recover. I never liked doing blood tests and this was longer. 27 bucks in exact cash for the draw, and they shipped out the box for me to fed ex earlier than if I want to a local fed ex. It needs to make it to the lab in a day since its not frozen or refrigerated. In the vials is some sort of citrate liquid that mixes with the blood. After I get the results I meet up with the dietician and that is when the tricky part starts. This will be a hard diet. Very limited and I have to make everything for awhile.

So 9 days after my nutritionist got the results. Just saw her today. Onions and green peppers is one of the most reactive foods I have and its the basis of a lot of my favorite meals. I might not be able to eat them ever again. The plan is divided into 6 phases which could take up to 6 months. Best case scenario I get relief after 4 days. Each phase is supposedly 7 days long but with the amount of foods per phase it could take 12 days. Phase one which I will start sometime next week has like 20 foods total maybe a bit less. She allowed olive oil which would normally be on phase 3 since I needed a method of frying. When I get to phase 2 which I scheduled to see her again, I add foods one a day. I believe in the later phases you add foods every 3 days since they are more reactive foods to see if you have a reaction to the food. You have to make everything too, so you have to be motivated enough by autoimmune pain to survive this diet. Its one of those 100% ones.

I also have to journal all the foods I eat and the symptoms. No limitations on the amount of food.

Any idea how to prepare lamb, tilipia and pinto beans without oil, using salt, pepper, mint, garlic and cane sugar?

Butter, coconut oil if frying. Also consider a slow cooker with just the meat's natural fats and minimal oils / added fat. I love my bachelor chique slow cooker.

I'm not a big fan of beans but have them on occasion. If you're not reactive to pintos then you can soak and cook them.

So you're not allowed to have salt because why?? Sensitivity? Salt provides essential elements to the body and I don't see a reason why you can't have it, certainly NOT for 'blood pressure' reasons. I like Italian seasonings, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc. Also asian / Thai spices.

I get you on onion and green pepper sensitivities - I haven't done the testing you have but I can tell my body is sensitive.

Please look up Dr. Wallach on Youtube, his 'Somebody needs to go to jail' two-part series is very worth watching. Also check out the Blood Type Diet through Dr. D'Adamo's website. The recommendations for me as Type O really do help understand what my digestion is ancestrally used to vs. what taxes or harms it.

Please also watch the '12 bad foods' video in my signature. I would not over-use olive oil as it's almost certainly going to be rancid if not fresh-pressed (like that day). Butter / lard / ghee are safer and especially void of milk solids, ghee is very digestive-friendly. This is to the best of my knowledge, hope it helps you out. But cutting out salt seems totally unnecessary. You may want additional medical opinions (non-Western) such as through naturopath & blood type-based along with what your testing has revealed.

I'm allowed to have salt at the start, not butter or coconut oil for some time. I think I can use tallow and schmaltz in phase 2.

Ground lamb is delicious. I like it way more than beef.

I'd just grill some lamb burgers with salt and whatever spices you like that you can use.

I never eat talapia so no idea on that, but I'd assume you can just bake it with salt and whatever and it will taste fairly neutral.

I've recently found out that coffee is a problem for me.

I read this article, as I've recently started getting some localised eczema, and there are only a few things that I've introduced in that time frame as regular parts of my diet. Coffee is one of them, and since cutting it all the eczema has gone away.

http://www.flawlessprogram.com/coffee-ca...breakouts/

Coffee is an irritant and a stimulant that I've also given up with very happy results: improved digestion, better sleep, more natural energy through the day, and reduced eczema as well. Thanks for sharing, H1N1.

I started the diet today. Made some almond milk from scratch with a table spoon of sugar. 1 cup almond 4 cups water and a tablespoon of sugar. The leftover meal I'm using for the tilipia which I will use garlic and avocado oil on.

I used the majority of the milk to make tapioca pudding with like 1/2 cup sugar. I will eventually replace sugar with prunes or mangoes.

I was diagnosed with a crippling autoimmune disease about 3 years ago. The doctors wanted to put me on the biologic treatments that cost 1200/ month. After research I decided to take the diet and natural supplement route and manage my disease with diet. I am basicly eating paleo and my disease is in remission. I also have quit coffee, caffeine, Processed Sugar, ALcohol only in small doses infrequently, .

In addition to diet I have found that a balance of bacteria in the gut is important as well as a gut barrier....i dont really know hat this all means but I take the following supplements that I SWEAR by and would reccomend to anyone ,

1. Bone broth 2-3 times per week
2. Liver 2-3 times per month
3. Black Seed OIl 1 teaspoon 2x a day (high quality)
4. Fish oil also high quality 2x per day
5. Tumeric with black pepper tea every day.

Im not a doctor so IM not sure what of these supplements does or doesnt do , All I can say is that I am living my life in remmission from a serious disease and the doctors are amazed ( I think doctors are basicly full of shit so that doesnt impress me)

I hope this helps and would be happy to share any info that could help fellow members here.

I'm off coffee to see if it works, yerba mate instead. I need to give it some time, but my caffeine intake is substantially down I can tell.

That guy Glidden is more quack than doc; it's not that he's super wrong about each topic (batshit crazy re: chemotherapy though) but it's that he has realized he fulfills a role and need for a lot of the pro-inflammatory community and I think this is a feedback loop that throws blame everywhere. After watching a lot of his videos, I'm very skeptical of his takes. On some he is just flat out deceptive.

So its been a bit longer than a week since I have been on the diet. I only made 2 contamination mistakes in the beginning but have figured out ways to avoid that. I cook my foods separately from other people and put them in containers separate from others. . So far I have more energy, less fatigue, and positive self affirmation actually work somewhat now. Digestion is still bizarre and unreliable and I dream about the foods I can't eat. I also dream more now too and remember parts of the dreams. Exercises seem a little easier too. I'm tired of eating the foods but they taste good except rice protein.

Kid Twist you are clearly biased toward western medicine - I think you're in the system? Naturopathic medicine has been helping people far longer than allopathic and with fewer or no side effects. It's very simple really: man-made chemical cocktails have side effects and often do more harm than good. Chemotherapy most of all. Doctors receive insane kick backs on prescribing treatments, the more expensive the better. The FDA is a fucking joke. It's just utterly corrupt and never addresses the core problem of why the body broke down to begin with.

Emergency medicine is great if you have a broken bone or gun shot wound. But cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and most every Western ailment are treated like "how many toxic drugs with two pages of side effects can we give this stupid sucker? How much of their body can we cut out? because that's how you really solve the problem!" It's a huge joke and anyone with eyes can see it. Some of us have been around for a while and seen the MD system of "disease management" fail miserably. So shut the fuck up about quackery if you can't admit this. Your opinion on quackery needs to include the rates of MD induced disease, dysfunction, and death. Otherwise you're just shilling for the establishment.

My sister is an MD and I know how her attitude morphed into one of an arrogant cunt as she got closer to adding those letters after her name. So sad!

Nutritional supplements and dietary changes address our health needs from a fundamental level without introducing toxic chemicals. ND medicine assumes the body knows how to repair itself and it supports that process.

===

Kbell, very happy you're seeing progress. Are you taking supplemental selenium of at least 300 mcg / day? Did you watch any videos by Dr. Wallach on YouTube? "Somebody needs to go to Jail" is my favorite.

I'm eating tons of almonds, cashews and tilipia which I believe are high in selenium. Can't add to much stuff until its allowed back in. I'm taking some basic supplements like magnesium, NAC, meds, and ginko. Haven't watched it yet. Will check it out. I'm also eating cane sugar used in the almond tapioca. About a cup of sugar in like 8 cups of tapioca which is still too sweet for me. Haven't tried making it with mango or apple as a sweetener yet.

That video on the 12 bad foods was pretty nice. Although I'm not giving up bottle oil or grilling. Never thought that drinking carbonated beverages would affect stomach acid but it makes sense.

So I saw the nutritionist last friday and now I'm phase 2-5. I can add back any food, one a day from phases 2-5, but I'm just sticking with phase 2 than procede to 3 when ready since how inflamed I have been the last few years. If I have a reaction to any food I stop adding foods for 3 days, than try another food. The reactive food can be retried a week from the initial reaction. I made chicken fat (schmaltz today) using a 1 lb of grass fed chicken skins. It yielded about 1/4 cup of schmaltz which seemed less than I expected. The gribenes (fried chicken skins which are by product of rendering) are some of the tastiest food I have ever had. Its somewhat salty but the flavor is so rich its hard to describe. They are as crunchy as fried chicken but thinner and rich flavor due to the schmaltz. They used to be a staple of kosher cooking before the saturate fat scare of the 50s.

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/schma...-gribenes/

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017...d-gribenes

I used a method where you add enough water to coat most of the chicken skins and you simmer covered until the water is mainly used up, than you cook uncovered to finish up the water. I than strained the fat and cooked the skins until very crispy. I might try these dry methods next. My goal was to use the fat in a chicken stir fry.

Almost a month in since last time. I fill out a survey of symptoms strength each time I see the dietician. I start at 87, last time was 60 and this time was 56. So slowly getting better. Had some slow digestion which has caused some crazy depressive thoughts, but I think I might have that under control for now. Its hard to tell if that is do the low fiber at the time or gut structure issue. I have 38 foods left to introduce until phase 6 which is a rotational diet and where I believe I can add in untested foods. Also the dietician wants me to do a bloodtest at that point to see if I have nutritional deficiencies which I probably do. My weight is hovering around the 6 lbs weight lost since starting. I'm not low carb at the moment, not enough variety of food yet for that.

Had quite a wild ride. My weigh lost is like 12 lbs and now not budging. Sometimes you get hidden foods that give weird reactions and lots of foods that give gut pain. I don't do well with seed foods or relatives of onions. Milk makes me low energy so it might be good to drink some occasionally at night. I'm pretty much done introducing the original 5 phases (adding back the tested foods) and am starting the 3 day rotation diet. Basically any food you eat one day you can't eat the next day, but its more complicated than that. I will read the book to find out more, the dietician doesn't follow through on emails so disappointed on that. Have to figure out a lot of this stuff myself. My energy has been low lately and digestion weird. May be dehydrated.

I had a colonoscopy and one of the major structural changes to my gut has either gone away or non issue now. I see my GI doc in February to find out more and get some more results in a few weeks. The diet may have helped this or the new meds. Its hard to tell, but I was worried I was going to need surgery.