rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I bought a boat

I bought a boat

[Image: IMG_1989.jpg]

Found it on Craigslist. Got it for next to nothing because the engine block was cracked. Already purchased a replacement engine and working on the install this weekend. Aside from the engine, it has some of the usual issues for a boat of this age. Faded and oxidized gel coat. A few tears in the vinyl. A previous owner covered the original floor with plywood so I suspect there may be a few soft spots underneath, but as it is now, it's pretty solid. Transom is solid also. I'll get a few seasons out of it before I have to look into any structural repairs, at which point I may just discard it and find another.

Boats get a bad rap for the perceived cost to own, operate, and maintain. I will say this much. Prices on some boat stuff is ridiculous. But you can work around much of it if you're willing to turn some wrenches. The majority of problems that boats suffer from are lack of use coupled with a failure to adequately prepare the boat for long periods of inactivity. Case in point, my cracked engine. This could have been prevented. You don't even have to fully winterize, all the previous owner needed to do was spend five minutes to pull the engine and exhaust drain plugs.

It's been 17 years since I last had a boat. Will update pics once new engine is in and I've spent some more time cleaning it up with the buffer.

I bought a boat

The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I bought a boat

Quote: (06-24-2017 02:29 AM)Suits Wrote:  

The happiest days in the life of a boat owner are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

I'm sure El Mech would disagree with that.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

I bought a boat

Quote: (06-24-2017 02:29 AM)Suits Wrote:  

Depends what type of boat it is.

This one has the potential to cause the OP some trouble but you only live once so fuck it why not. Porscheguy appears to know what he's talking about, and is aware of the pitfalls, it can always be moved on if it becomes too much trouble.

A man needs his hobbies. Enjoy!

I bought a boat

Now you get to test out the implication theory.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

I bought a boat

I work in sales at a large boat dealership/marina. Looks like an old boat, whats the rundown on it (manufacturer, year, engine and drive)?

Old boat + inboards engine + improperly maintained = potential nightmare.

It sounds like you have mechanical knowledge which is good, marine labor ain't cheap.

I bought a boat

Good on you that you didn't buy a Zebra instead.

I bought a boat

Inboards are rare in the UK and small boats with them make big money. A small cheap boat and trailer would be £1-2k for something half sensible with a working outboard. An inboard engine on a small dory is a project of mine for one day- a decent petrol outboard drinks the petrol like a fish, so a diesel running on red would be well worth the time.

A buddy of mine picked up a small boat and trailer combo for £600 earlier this year. As we hauled it down the road to the slipway there was an almighty crash as this outboard fell off the back- the whole transom had snapped off. Bodged it with some screws and 2*4, fixed the engine (only damage was a broken safety switch which was soon bypassed) and went out on it [Image: lol.gif]

We fixed the transom properly with a good bit of oak and fibreglass later.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

I bought a boat

It's a 1990 Wellcraft. It's from the old plant in Sarasota. Made before they were bought by Genmar. Back in the day, Wellcrafts were among the best of mass produced boats for everyday people.

It's got a mercruiser 4.3, and a alpha 1, gen 1 drive. The engine is one of the shittiest 4.3 engines they made. No vortec fast burn heads, and no balance shaft. My replacement engine is a Mercruiser 4.3TKS. It has vortec heads, balance shaft, serpentine accessory belt drive, and of course the TKS feature which makes starting it as easy as if it had fuel injection. On the new engine, a change in carb and intake should bring it up to 225HP. As it stands now, it's at 190, which is fine.

The largest engine option in this model (196 Eclipse) was a 305 (5.0, GM not Ford). Wellcraft built the engine mounts to be one size fits all. So putting in a small block chevy would be not very hard. I had thought about going that route once I realized my block was cracked, but it would have required an outdrive swap, and it 5.7 Mercruiser engines aren't cheap.

The outdrive is a gen 1 alpha 1. It appears to be in excellent condition given its age. It looks like someone changed the zincs on a regular basis, and the skeg is mostly there. If it gives me any trouble, I'll take a shot at one of those chinese made SEI outdrives.

I bought it because:
1. I really like the look. To me, it looks fast sitting still. Everyone who has seen it in person has commented on what a good looking boat it is.
2. It looks like it spent the majority of its life receiving a high standard of care and maintenance. It looked like it was only in the past few years that someone had become neglectful.
3. It was cheap enough, so if I got it home and decided that it wasn't worth it, I could have sold the outdrive and trailer and broken even on the deal.
4. Transom is solid. Floor may have a few questionable spots, but the transom is good, and if there are any structural issues looming, I've got another 2-3 years before they become an issue, and in that time, I'll deal with them or move on to something else.

Aeroektar, do you work for MarineMax?

I bought a boat

This thread reminded me of a film I watched again recently.

[Image: 3c7f3bd4eb9eab882e1450896a76b3b3.jpg]

Watching the propeller chop up that magnificent craft was horrible, even if it was no doubt just a mock-up.

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

I bought a boat

Sounds like you know what your doing and what to look for, I've seen a lot of guys get in way over their heads. Hope it turns out to be a worthwhile project for you. I don't work for Marine Max but it's that region.

I bought a boat

I lived 6 months on a Bayfield 36 when I was a kid. Was some of the most fun I ever had.

Enjoy the boat!

I bought a boat

A lot of people get in over their heads for a number of reasons. The financial is the easy one. They buy something they can afford to make payments on, but cant afford, or don't want to spend the money on upkeep, storage, quality canvas, etc. These boats fall into disrepair quickly and the owners do nothing but piss and moan for years after they sell it.

People who get in over their head buying something unmanageable. They saw their boating fun increase when they went from a 14 footer to a 19 footer. So they assume that going up to a 24-26 footer means that much more fun. Plus you've got a salesman pointing out the tax benefits because it has a shitter and a propane stove. In making this move, you've got something that requires a bigger truck to tow. You may not be able to store at your house. You can rent a slip but leaving it in the water drastically increases your maintenance costs in addition to the slip rental. It may not plane fast enough to pull a skier, and it's really too small for more than an overnight with two people. Boating becomes less fun and more about logistics and upkeep.

I feel a lot of pity for the dreamers who buy basket case boats. My neighbor just got a rinker captiva 212. Its like mine but about 2' longer. It uses a 5.7 engine, maybe even a big block. It looks like it's been parked under trees for 2-3 years with no covers. There's huge rust stains below the through hull exhaust fittings. I hope it has a drop in cockpit liner, and that any drains stayed clear or that thing will need a new floor, stringers, and maybe a transom.

A lot of people focus on the engine and outdrive with used boats. On outboards, I understand. A new outboard in the 200hp range can cost $15K. On stern drives, I think rot is the more pressing issue. I can go on Craigslist and find used engines all day long. If your floor is rotten, odds are your stringers are rotten and then your transom needs attention to. Are you ready to completely disassemble the boat to repair? How good are your carpentry and woodworking skills? Are you ready to spend $3K on epoxy and polyester resins? I've got to stop typing and go get the updated steering ram installed so I can get this engine in.

I bought a boat

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

I bought a boat

Sam Malone on Cheers loved boats. He said, "babes on waves." Use it for your game. You get them into bikinis, and that's half the battle. It should work well if look good in a swimsuit.

I bought a boat

Here's a close up of the pic I posted above. Take note of the heavily oxidized gel coat.
[Image: IMG_2003.jpg]

This is after spending several hours with the rotary buffer, some high VOC rubbing compound that feels like it has sand in it and smells like kerosene, and an aggressive heavy cut wool pad. I've never had so much compounding residue left on the ground after buffing something. You won't get these results doing it by hand or with a DA polisher. Only a rotary can cut aggressively enough to get these results.

[Image: IMG_2014.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2016.jpg]

Installed the updated steering actuator tonight. Engine goes in tomorrow. BTW, you can see both engines in the second pic. The one in the background is the old one. The new one is in front. And yes, that's a gantry for lifting the engine. No hydraulics, just a simple chain hoist. Takes about as much effort as opening a heavy set of winter drapes.

I bought a boat

I just wanted to warn OP that he's potentially doxxed himself in one of those images. It's not easy to pick out but it's there if you look hard enough. [Image: angel.gif]

I bought a boat

Used to do a lot of sailing before I started my family. Some great times had, both with regard to game and friends. Boats are most often depreciating assets and as such getting it as a prop for game is a bad investment. You need to be able to enjoy the life associated with boating/sailing and that includes all the time around doing maintenance.

It's a lot if time spent and undoubtedly something that requires passion. If you have that however you'll be well served with some great moments.

I bought a boat

Quote: (06-24-2017 07:55 AM)Cobra Wrote:  

Good on you that you didn't buy a Zebra instead.

The two happiest days in the life of a Zebra owner are the day they buy it and the day the eat it.

I bought a boat

Looks a lot better already. If you got it at a good price an are doing the maintainence, it sounds like a good plan. Really, what is the downside?

I bought a boat

Quote: (06-25-2017 06:06 AM)Hypno Wrote:  

Looks a lot better already. If you got it at a good price an are doing the maintainence, it sounds like a good plan. Really, what is the downside?

The fuel costs.

I'm the King of Beijing!

I bought a boat

Quote: (06-25-2017 01:22 AM)porscheguy Wrote:  

This is after spending several hours with the rotary buffer, some high VOC rubbing compound that feels like it has sand in it and smells like kerosene, and an aggressive heavy cut wool pad. I've never had so much compounding residue left on the ground after buffing something. You won't get these results doing it by hand or with a DA polisher. Only a rotary can cut aggressively enough to get these results.

Wow. That turned out great, she looks sharp! Now I want a boat!

I bought a boat

Leonard, if you're referring to the first pic with the hull numbers, it's no big deal. They've changed, and tracking those changes is not as easy as tracking license plates on cars.

As for fuel costs, it holds 40 gallons which should last a weekend.

I don't buy stuff like this for use as game props. I bought it because I like boating.

I bought a boat

Quote: (06-25-2017 10:52 AM)porscheguy Wrote:  

Leonard, if you're referring to the first pic with the hull numbers, it's no big deal. They've changed, and tracking those changes is not as easy as tracking license plates on cars.

If only it were that simple.

In this instance it's a classic case of not paying attention to the perils of reflective surfaces. Obviously someone else was taking the photos and OP thought he was out of the shot, yet...

Here's the original:

[Image: nzps86L.png]

One part in particular caught me eye.

[Image: ZH87SYg.jpg]

So I deglossified that small portion and adjusted the contrast.

[Image: IJCp2wd.png]

Then I adjusted the tint and the vertical hold, and bingo.

[Image: xvoHuV6.png]

I'll give you this. You certainly seem happy with your purchase and I commend you for making sure you acquired a floatation device. Safety first!

I bought a boat

Quote: (06-25-2017 10:58 AM)Leonard D Neubache Wrote:  

[Image: nzps86L.png]

And I thought you were referencing the tower in the distance, and wondering how an Aussie even knew about that:
[Image: 12-17-09-002-768x1024.jpg]

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung