rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Fitness Fail: After four years of lifting weights, I still look like sh*t

As I'm coming up on my four year anniversary of getting into weightlifting,
thread-5908-...#pid490255
I think it's time to be honest about my progress...

Fact is, lifting did very little for my physical appearance, and gaining weight during linear progression just made things some things worse. I definitely need some kind of diet help and a change up of things.

As far a muscle goes, I'm sure there is some, but I don't "look like I lift" or even remotely like I spent 3 days a week for over three years in the gym. I've seen girls who do CrossFit who look more muscular.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

I was going to say, I'd say your diet is probably a mess and needs fixing big time. You should probably post a typical daily schedule of your diet and I'm sure the more knowledgeable gentlemen here will be able to critique it and breakdown what you need to do. I'd guess you don't cook a whole lot and eat out way too much for starters. As is often said, you can't out exercise a bad diet.

Yeah.
If you have been lifting for 4 years and not seeing the type of results you want then:

1. You're not as consistent as you think you are in regards to workouts, diet or recovery.
2. Your lifting program is shit. It's not intense enough to force your body to change.
3. Your diet needs a major overhaul. Whether you are bulking up or looking to cut down food ultimately determines what your body looks like.
4. Your Test levels are too low (results of diet and lifestyle) go to a doctor and get them checked out.

Quote: (06-13-2017 07:01 PM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Yeah.
If you have been lifting for 4 years and not seeing the type of results you want then:

1. You're not as consistent as you think you are in regards to workouts, diet or recovery.
2. Your lifting program is shit. It's not intense enough to force your body to change.
3. Your diet needs a major overhaul. Whether you are bulking up or looking to cut down food ultimately determines what your body looks like.
4. Your Test levels are too low (results of diet and lifestyle) go to a doctor and get them checked out.

From personal experience, I was consistent with StrongLifts 5x5 and ate clean and didn't make as much progress as I should have after a year and a half.

I'm on TRT now, consistent with MadCow and eating all kinds of shit, and it's made all the difference.

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

I think 3 days a week is about the minimum you can do and still expect results. I say that from experience, because that's all I used to do, but I wasn't seeing the results I wanted from it. Now I do 5-6 days a week, and the added volume has worked wonders for me.

Ok, how far did your lifts go in that 4 years?

Be honest. What do you squat now and what do you bench?

I can tell already that the reason you look the same is because you fucked up.

The reason you didnt see any results is because you dont want to lift weights. You had no dedication.

In my opinion, you should try some new activities instead since you have no passion for lifting weights. Try calisthenics, boxing, biking, surfing etc. Do something that you love doing and the results will follow.

I remember when I first starting lifting weights at 13. I saw a big dude in the gym repping 225 on the bench. I knew I would get there one day--and I did, but it took 10 years! And three years later I only bench in the ~mid 230's.

The primary reason my progress was painfully slow, and I presume it is the same case for you, is due to 'Fuckarounditis'.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html

Essentially, you're not focusing on progressive overload. Like Steelex above wrote, how much do you bench and squat? I bet you don't bench 1.5x your bodyweight. Moreover, your bench has probably increased little over the last 4 years. Work relentlessly to hit the 'Intermediate' strength standards listed--then the advance goals, and beyond.

Pick a boring workout routine (PM me if you want some PDF's) and just focus on getting stronger and stronger. I've been doing the same 2 workouts for about a year now. They are 12/16 week programs that focus on increasing compound lifts, but also include assistance and bodyweight work.

I am a huge fan of Jason Ferruggia as his programs really work for me. And as a hardgainer they will work for you too. Check out his website here:

http://jasonferruggia.com/how-to-build-muscle/

I recommend joining his inner circle but don't want to shill for a product.

And remember: This will take years! Just be patient, and keep focused on getting stronger. Strength is not entirely linearly related to muscle growth, but if you bench 300+ I doubt your chest will be tiny.

Do you have a food scale?

If you look like garbage I'm assuming you're fat and you are eating too much.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Quote:Quote:

Moreover, your bench has probably increased little over the last 4 years.

My bench went from 135x5 to 252.5x5.

Maybe Starting Strength was not the best program for OP to fit to his expectations, it have been said multiples times here that SS is not for body building so if OP is hoping to get six-pack and chiseled body he took the wrong way...

The 4 years mark is what bother me the most:
Why did OP continue on his program if after one year his gains were not hinting through the results he wanted to have ?

Tell them too much, they wouldn't understand; tell them what they know, they would yawn.
They have to move up by responding to challenges, not too easy not too hard, until they paused at what they always think is the end of the road for all time instead of a momentary break in an endless upward spiral

You can bench 250 5x5 and don't look like you lift? 250 isn't a ton of weight but I find that hard to believe. Is your form perfect? Or do you just have fat over the muscle?

Most men can't bench that much, if your form is good and your other lifts are balanced, I'd think you just need to clean up your diet and lose the fat and youll be fine.

I've used a few different programs. Starting Strength was only for part of the first year.

My problem is that he gained 130 on his bench after 4 years.

That's pretty shitty. Like shitty shitty shitty.

Quote:Quote:

Or do you just have fat over the muscle?

Yup, I have belly and chest fat. But I doubt too much muscle is there.

The most important thing to do is to cut back on simple carbs and sugar along with a good workout routine. your simple carbs should not exceed more then two slices of bread a day or one bagel and maybe a white potato. Complex crabs like brown rice or sweet potatoes are fine but I noticed they cannot replace the energy loss that simple carbs can so that is why you might consider very limited simple carbs. Fat from meat is also a good replacement for carbs in general but more difficult to come by. Obviously you need to cut your sugar intake to near zero but some fruit a few times a week is not going to kill you.

Cutting back on alcohol is also a good idea but you don't have to quit to be in at least OK shape. I am in very good shape and a lot of it has to do with when I make a concerted effort to drastically reduce personal drinking except for special occasions, socially when appropriate (which is rare), or dates picking up women. I noticed that when I quit drinking consistently, I lost about 10 lbs. in the first week without changing my workout routine.

A good summer routine is to find some king of incline and run up it as fast as you can 3-4 times a week. I live nearby a small butte about 1.5 miles to the top (800') and I improved from 21 minutes to 11 by the end of the summer. On days I did not run, I would do a 20-45 body weight/cross-fit workout (also with legs). By adding legs to the cross-fit will boost your gains but also makes the routine very tough and I did not do weights because I wanted to loose excess weight. That is basically the best way to loose weight and eventually you will have the tools to figure out other great workouts.

I would definitely suggest doing an 8x8 squat workout at least once a week. That is the number one thing that can boost testosterone naturally. Right now I box so I don't really do weights except for some light lifting but no leg workout can replace squats including jump ropes and mini-squats.

Also I suggest upping your protein intake to at least 90 grams a day. Meat is expensive but I get at least 25% of my protein from it. Chicken and fish is the best and leanest.

Most of looking fit is diet and working out is just the side benefits to look even better or be stronger. Carbs and sugar are the biggest before alcohol. Coffee is also a good energy replacement.

Combine the diet with good leg workouts you will be looking good in no time.

Nutrition is huge. I've only started a breakthrough recently after years of little progress.

If your diet isn't spot on, your progress will be significantly limited... whether you're trying to lose weight or build muscle.

What is your body fat %, height and weight?

just post a picture, dummy. or are we just supposed to guess what your fat body looks like?

I don't exercise as much as I used to before....but I keep dropping weight just by 1 - Not eating late (Thanks Giovonny) 2 - Not eating fast food 3 - Not drinking soft drinks 4 - Watching what I eat.

The only stuff I do for now is cardio.

Cattle 5000 Rustlings #RustleHouseRecords #5000Posts
Houston (Montrose), Texas

"May get ugly at times. But we get by. Real Niggas never die." - cdr

Follow the Rustler on Twitter | Telegram: CattleRustler

Game is the difference between a broke average looking dude in a 2nd tier city turning bad bitch feminists into maids and fucktoys and a well to do lawyer with 50x the dough taking 3 dates to bang broads in philly.

***HIRE A COACH***

Even if it's just for 3 months.

Get a very good coach, in person if possible, but if not online, who will give you a set workout and nutrition plan to follow. One who will provide you at least email support, and update your program on a regular basis.

If you haven't made progress in 4 years your problem is most likely consistency. It could be low testosterone, so get that checked (cheapest place I've seen: https://www.discountedlabs.com/testoster...-regular), but not being consistent with your training or diet is most likely the cause. In 4 years of even shitty training and half assed diet you should have made some pretty noticeable improvements.

Having a coach to hold your hand and keep you accountable for a few months will probably be the best thing you can do for yourself.

Twenty percent of fitness takes place in the gym, the other 80 percent takes place in the kitchen.

Get your nutrition right bruh.

Take care of those titties for me.

Honestly, anybody who has trained for 4 years solid could make great gains. If you were consistent and pushed that whole time you could have been incline pressing 350-400 or better for reps.

The issue is that you really just went from beginner to barely intermediate in 4 years, and your body reflects it. And your diet was bad so you got fat.

Fucking why??

It may not only be consistency, but maybe you aren't pushing your body hard enough.

How many days do you go a week?

You could do 20 lb bicep curls until the cows come home, and your biceps won't grow. But if you push yourself until your rep fails on the last set, then add a little more weight every time, you will see gains.

I used to go 2-3 times a week, but mostly I was just fucking around.

Only when I started going 5 days a week, doing compound lifts (squats, pull-ups, bench, etc) and adding weight until near-failure on the last set, refusing to stagnate on one weight or number of reps, did I start gaining.

Not to brag, but it's only been three months. I've already gotten big and well on my way to getting jacked.

Clean diet? That goes without saying.

Clean slate has it figured out. Grind those reps.