rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

New Zealand (Auckland) vs Canada (Vancouver) for an Indian?

Hi there,

Few weeks back I had posted about my hopeless situation in India with regards to how annoying the mentality of the people here is and how desperately I want to get out of here.

Just to give you a gist of things - I am a 30 year old , healthy, athletic and professionally successful guy living near Mumbai, India.

I've finally decided to make a move as I'm sick of this country mainly due to reasons that affect my personal life. Professionally, I'm doing well and have been self employed for last 3 years.

Here are the two choices I have:

1. Go to Auckland for a one year Masters in Marketing and take the usual study+settle route to get a PR.

I know it's beautiful there and all that but what I'm more interested is in the work part of it since that will be important to me till I feel settled there.

So for the people who stay or who've been to Auckland, do you think it's a place that is gradually developing commercially or is it actually the way people stereotype it - a laid back town that cannot be compared to Canadian/US cities?

2. Go to Vancouver by applying for a PR from India. I have a strong profile and am confident of getting it. Good part here is that I won't be required to even study.

But I've heard the unemployment rates are very high there. I'm already an MBA with around 4 years of total experience.

Here are some additional points:

1. I can't stand extreme cold weather.
2. I'm mainly looking at Digital Marketing Industry for jobs.
3. Though I'm a loner, I do like people around me. Can't stand very isolated places.
4. Unlike people here, I'm not too picky about girls. I'm more than happy with 5s and 6s as long as they have a good nature and are open minded about things., especially open relationships.
5. Ultimate aim is to settle and then eventually start my own photography business there.
6. My english is very good and i have a 8.5 average on IELTS (pardon the typos in this post though hehe).

I have just submitted my visitor visa for New Zeland and within the next three months, will be travelling to both these places for a week to see them for myself.

But would also love to get some opinions here.

Thanks.

Quote: (05-23-2017 03:19 AM)testos111 Wrote:  

Hi there,

Few weeks back I had posted about my hopeless situation in India with regards to how annoying the mentality of the people here is and how desperately I want to get out of here.

Just to give you a gist of things - I am a 30 year old , healthy, athletic and professionally successful guy living near Mumbai, India.

I've finally decided to make a move as I'm sick of this country mainly due to reasons that affect my personal life. Professionally, I'm doing well and have been self employed for last 3 years.

1. Go to Auckland for a one year Masters in Marketing and take the usual study+settle route to get a PR.

I know it's beautiful there and all that but what I'm more interested is in the work part of it since that will be important to me till I feel settled there.

So for the people who stay or who've been to Auckland, do you think it's a place that is gradually developing commercially or is it actually the way people stereotype it - a laid back town that cannot be compared to Canadian/US cities?

2. Go to Vancouver by applying for a PR from India. I have a strong profile and am confident of getting it. Good part here is that I won't be required to even study.

But I've heard the unemployment rates are very high there. I'm already an MBA with around 4 years of total experience.

3. Though I'm a loner, I do like people around me. Can't stand very isolated places.
4. Unlike people here, I'm not too picky about girls. I'm more than happy with 5s and 6s as long as they have a good nature and are open minded about things., especially open relationships.
5. Ultimate aim is to settle and then eventually start my own photography business there.
6. My english is very good and i have a 8.5 average on IELTS (pardon the typos in this post though hehe).

I have just submitted my visitor visa for New Zeland and within the next three months, will be travelling to both these places for a week to see them for myself.

Thanks.

[Image: laugh3.gif]

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Quote: (05-23-2017 03:19 AM)testos111 Wrote:  

Thanks.

I'm an Aucklander who's dying to get out because of many factors. I feel the laid backness of Kiwis is very underestimated. It's like Aussie on steroids(chill roids?). I don't know if work/your field is viable here. But you will find NZ to be very suffocating as contrary to what Kiwis will brag there's virtually nothing to do and Kiwis have very flat boring personalities and will take offense when you point it out. They also have close to zero ambition. They do not give a fuck about the hotness of the girls they fuck, so the girls are pretty gross. Imagine all the complaints you read on RVF about Aus and it's worse here(well the competition probably isn't as bad and the girls are less aggressive, which I guess is good).

Some of my foreign friends got me to read this anti-NZ(for immigrants/expats) site to get me to understand what a lot of foreigners think. https://e2nz.org/

If you don't like cold weather you have to keep in mind NZ is retarded housingwise. Every civilised country has central heating as standard; we have wooden shacks we call houses and we're proud of that total garbage. You will be very cold indoors in the winter. There's pretty much no insulation so I have to wear multiple jackets and long pants inside and it's 10C or lower indoors at times at night or in the morning, and my situation is not out of the ordinary(I live in an upper middle class area, but in a shitty uninsulated house, which is decently common) However offices should be heated so that's nice.

You will have to pay out of the ass for rent and you will have to have flatmates and the city is so shitty you cannot justify paying that much for basically nothing. I only do this because I'm living with parents and they pay everything. If I had to pay my way I would be looking to leave ASAP.

If you do not have a Kiwi personality(ie lame and conformist/susceptible to groupthink- but not judging if you are), it's VERY isolating. Many foreigners I know have been here years and not have a single Kiwi friend despite trying. I myself am semi-Kiwi and struggle too. The upside is that Auckland has a high foreign % relative to the rest of NZ.

It's very good that you aren't picky about girls, because they are gross. However do keep in mind most Kiwi guys have even lower standards than that.

The vibe I get with NZ is it's way too chill, there's too much tall poppy syndrome, and they don't care too much about value. They cannot differentiate quality that well, and have a really high boredom tolerance. If you want to make it big or decently big with your photography business/skills here, forget it.

Edit: Also I would suspect as a Fobbish guy with an accent(correct me if I'm wrong) you will be decently heavily discriminated against datingwise because many girls complain about Indians being too sexual/forward(Kiwi guys pretty much don't make moves at all).

Visited both Cities numerous times, and honestly I'd pick Vancouver out of those two. Auckland is so laid back and the slow pace of life will probably kill the ambition in you.

I grew up in Auckland and left the city just after I turned 20. Pretty much have to agree with what The Catalyst says, especially with the NZ girls perception of Indian guys. The girls are pretty average as well, but the good news is that I never saw too many dudes picking up so the competition is low.

I'd make the move to Vancouver, you're going to be able to do more shit, with more people, and more money to burn (as you'll jump straight into working)

Definitely Vancouver.

You don't have to worry about extreme cold in Vancouver, it isn't like the rest of Canada in that aspect although it does rain a lot there.

OP,

Go to Vancouver. This

Quote: (05-23-2017 04:44 AM)The Catalyst Wrote:  

I'm an Aucklander who's dying to get out because of many factors. I feel the laid backness of Kiwis is very underestimated. It's like Aussie on steroids(chill roids?). I don't know if work/your field is viable here. But you will find NZ to be very suffocating as contrary to what Kiwis will brag there's virtually nothing to do and Kiwis have very flat boring personalities and will take offense when you point it out. They also have close to zero ambition. They do not give a fuck about the hotness of the girls they fuck, so the girls are pretty gross. Imagine all the complaints you read on RVF about Aus and it's worse here(well the competition probably isn't as bad and the girls are less aggressive, which I guess is good).

Some of my foreign friends got me to read this anti-NZ(for immigrants/expats) site to get me to understand what a lot of foreigners think. https://e2nz.org/

If you don't like cold weather you have to keep in mind NZ is retarded housingwise. Every civilised country has central heating as standard; we have wooden shacks we call houses and we're proud of that total garbage. You will be very cold indoors in the winter. There's pretty much no insulation so I have to wear multiple jackets and long pants inside and it's 10C or lower indoors at times at night or in the morning, and my situation is not out of the ordinary(I live in an upper middle class area, but in a shitty uninsulated house, which is decently common) However offices should be heated so that's nice.

You will have to pay out of the ass for rent and you will have to have flatmates and the city is so shitty you cannot justify paying that much for basically nothing. I only do this because I'm living with parents and they pay everything. If I had to pay my way I would be looking to leave ASAP.

If you do not have a Kiwi personality(ie lame and conformist/susceptible to groupthink- but not judging if you are), it's VERY isolating. Many foreigners I know have been here years and not have a single Kiwi friend despite trying. I myself am semi-Kiwi and struggle too. The upside is that Auckland has a high foreign % relative to the rest of NZ.

It's very good that you aren't picky about girls, because they are gross. However do keep in mind most Kiwi guys have even lower standards than that.

The vibe I get with NZ is it's way too chill, there's too much tall poppy syndrome, and they don't care too much about value. They cannot differentiate quality that well, and have a really high boredom tolerance. If you want to make it big or decently big with your photography business/skills here, forget it.

Edit: Also I would suspect as a Fobbish guy with an accent(correct me if I'm wrong) you will be decently heavily discriminated against datingwise because many girls complain about Indians being too sexual/forward(Kiwi guys pretty much don't make moves at all).

is spot on. Auckland often features on lists outlining cities with the highest living quality in world: It's beyond ridiculous if you ask me.

Once you're in Auckland, go climb Mt Eden on a fine day - you'll quickly see that Auckland is a, what I call, "fake city": A CBD that tries to imitate the one of a big American city, and endless one-family homes making up its suburbs. If you leave the CBD, especially in the late afternoon or evening, you'll be hard pressed to find people on the footpaths for kilometres, it's just cars and buses because nothing is happening outside the CBD, save for a few tiny local centres such as Takapuna and venues that happen to be outside the CBD.

Another thing is the horrendous transport situation. People living in the North Shore commute up to two hours if they work in the CBD - yes, this is up to two hours sitting in a car to cross a distance of a few kilometres. By some measures the traffic congestion is worse than LA, NYC or some cities in Europe. The bus network is extensive but doesn't work very well, buses are often not on time and don't turn up at all. The suburban commuter train is too expensive for what is is, leaving getting around by car - which is what everybody is doing unless they can't afford it. Trying to get out of Auckland on a Saturday morning and back on a Sunday night (weekend trip) is a nightmare too.

Everything else was said by The Catalyst already. As Indian you'll have a hard time with girls too:

a) Bitch shields of Kiwi girls are high - I've been in the country for four years and still wonder how they justify their shitty attitudes, especially given their looks. Kiwi guys don't seem to mind though.
b) While there are plenty of cute East Asians in Auckland, most of them won't even look at you - many are pretty xenophobic towards Indians.
c) This leaves Indian immigrants and tourists. The latter often doesn't stay long save for the backpackers that found a job in town.

NZ is no good for making money, but it can provide a great relaxed lifestyle to those who look for it. I live in a medium-sized city where prices are not through the roof (yet) and make the most of the country’s amazing outdoors while I'm here, but I’ve decided last year that I’ll leave soon. Travelling anywhere is expensive being based here, family too far away and coming from Europe I just miss all the opportunities that don’t exist here.

If anything NZ is probably an easy way for you to obtain a Western passport, but I don’t know what Canada offers in that regard and with your profile and requirements, I’d stick to the latter.

I've never been to Auckland but go Vancouver

As a fellow East Indian guy but older at 46 I would say Vancouver.

If you got the looks and game you should better with the gori's then the Indians usually but not always.

Keep us posted on how you make out

Hi Testos
Agree with the terrible traffic.
As for the rest of the comments, plenty of opportunities there if you have your act together. I have a close friend there who is a self made multi millionaire and have a another person I know who started a business and is the same. I don't find the girls attitude any worse than here in Australia. A lot of people blame the city they're in instead of getting off there butt and having a go.

You already have an MBA, and you're considering another master's in NZ? Bad move. Go for a full time position with your current education, and bust your ass to succeed.

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage

I can't thank all of you enough for your replies since it has resulted in my plans doing a 180.

I was secretly hoping that people would have said good things about NZ since that option would have been easier for me.

But deep down I knew Vancouver was the better place and so it has turned out.

I think this is the perfect example of how a single thread on this forum can change lives.

Just submitted my TRV application for Canada. Will be in Vancouver by the last week of June.

Not sure why you chose those two options out of all the places in the world but whatever. Haven't been to Auckland but I'll give you the 411 on Vancity since I've lived there for 15 years.

As a visitor you'll probably like it for a short time, especially if you're there during June July August. Will also depend heavily on what part of the city you decide to stay. Parts of DT, Yaletown, False Creek, Kisilano is prime but come at a high premium. Rental prices are laughable for what you get. Too tier prices for second and third tier...everything.

IMHO Vancouver might be one of the most overrated cities on earth. It's a city that believes it's own hype. Overpriced, cliquey and aloof. Ethnically diverse yet compartmentalized and isolated from one another. Shit tonne of Chinese and Indians, straight FOB or phony ghetto wannabees. Not to mention the city is decidedly left even for Canada.

If you're there year round, enjoy the eight months of wrist slitting weather.

I live in Vancouver. I love it, even having lived in many other places, I still come back here. Its not perfect, but if you work hard and find your place here its amazing.

I grew up with a lot of Indians, mostly Sikh from Punjab. Most of them are going to be in the suburbs where they stack mad cash. Hands down young browns make a lot of cash here in Vancouver.

In my neighborhood now, most Indians are not Sikh, which was strange to me at first. There are a lot of good paying jobs in IT downtown where a lot of them work. With your credentials and some good style and swagger there should be good opportunities here. This is a hardcore networking city, so if you get this down, you will do well here. Most Vancouver just take what they can get and then go home and bitch on reddit.

Apologies for bringing this up again but I have to make a decision in the next 48 hours!

I have secured admission in a local college for a 1 year fast track course in Auckland and my visa docs are almost ready. The course starts in mid November. I really don't know what I will do after the course. I have a photography teaching business here in India and I'm thinking of doing that in Auckland as it is allowed to start a business on a post work study visa.

Also, I'll be open to job opportunities but I'm not sure what kind of jobs to expect in Auckland as I've been hearing that the opportunities are quite limited.

The second option I have is to apply for express entry and get a Canadian PR. I got a really good score in my IELTS English exam and my chances of getting the PR can be pretty good although I haven't started the application process. If I do it today and everything works, I can get the PR within the next 8 months.

So I'm really confused as to what step to take.

Auckland is almost in my hands but it comes at some cost, especialy considering that I already have a masters so basically for 1 year I will just be wasting my time in some unknown college.

The Canadian PR way will cost me 1/10th and I will be eligible to start my business in Canada or look for a job the moment I land. But the downside is that I may not get the PR too so it's not sure.

What do I do guys?

I really want to get the fuck out of India so I'm really thinking of just heading to Auckland as that's the easiest and fastest route.

I'm really at my wit's end as far as this issue is concerned. Haven't faced a tough decision like this ever in my life.

Any sort of help would be appreciated.

Again, I really don't recommend coming to Auckland. However I don't fully understand how bad India is so it's quite possible that if you have a marginally higher chance of getting in here it might still be worth it anyway. If you do come here I'll gladly show you around.

Quote: (09-23-2017 01:02 AM)The Catalyst Wrote:  

Again, I really don't recommend coming to Auckland. However I don't fully understand how bad India is so it's quite possible that if you have a marginally higher chance of getting in here it might still be worth it anyway. If you do come here I'll gladly show you around.

Thanks man. Yeah, when I look at Auckland on Google street, it seems like quite a deserted place and that's what is scaring me.

Quote: (09-23-2017 01:16 AM)testos111 Wrote:  

Quote: (09-23-2017 01:02 AM)The Catalyst Wrote:  

Thanks man. Yeah, when I look at Auckland on Google street, it seems like quite a deserted place and that's what is scaring me.

It is.

Toss a coin and see if you agree with the result.

Does going to NZ rule out going to Canada later? OK the economy might not be as strong in NZ but in my humble opinion if you can't find opportunities in a city of a million or so people there is something wrong. The price of real estate is insane but at least the boom has peaked.

Not as cold as Canada in winter but plenty of cool wet days in Auckland. If you like like stuff like fishing great location. I don't live there but have friends that do and visit often. Quite like the place and NZ in general.

NZ are getting strict on PR from studying, particularly if you are Chinese or Indian. Kiwis are fed up of the mass migration from Asia and you may experience hostility. Choose Canada.

Quote: (09-23-2017 12:57 AM)testos111 Wrote:  

Apologies for bringing this up again but I have to make a decision in the next 48 hours!

I have secured admission in a local college for a 1 year fast track course in Auckland and my visa docs are almost ready. The course starts in mid November. I really don't know what I will do after the course. I have a photography teaching business here in India and I'm thinking of doing that in Auckland as it is allowed to start a business on a post work study visa.

Also, I'll be open to job opportunities but I'm not sure what kind of jobs to expect in Auckland as I've been hearing that the opportunities are quite limited.

The second option I have is to apply for express entry and get a Canadian PR. I got a really good score in my IELTS English exam and my chances of getting the PR can be pretty good although I haven't started the application process. If I do it today and everything works, I can get the PR within the next 8 months.

So I'm really confused as to what step to take.

Auckland is almost in my hands but it comes at some cost, especialy considering that I already have a masters so basically for 1 year I will just be wasting my time in some unknown college.

The Canadian PR way will cost me 1/10th and I will be eligible to start my business in Canada or look for a job the moment I land. But the downside is that I may not get the PR too so it's not sure.

What do I do guys?

I really want to get the fuck out of India so I'm really thinking of just heading to Auckland as that's the easiest and fastest route.

I'm really at my wit's end as far as this issue is concerned. Haven't faced a tough decision like this ever in my life.

Any sort of help would be appreciated.

hey man, its some tough decision you have got. Two issue for you to think about, 1. would you be paying for your degree in nz? This a possible con for nz BUT 2. How confident are you of getting a job in canada without a canadian job experience or a canadian qualification even with a PR. I believe if you are not working in the oil fields or mineral industry, it might be tough getting a job but other members with more knowledge on the canadian job industry have to chime in.

If you do decide to spend the money to study in nz, you have the chance to get a local qualification and some time to improve your social circle in a decent sized city. Have been to auckland and while it gets deserted outside the city center, there are things happening in the city if you get involved. I know east asian people who ended up dating/marrying kiwi girls so its not impossible but you got to put yourself out there, differentiate yourself from the rest of the foreigners and take the initiative to make friendship with kiwi guys. Compared to australia it seems foreign guys in nz have it better if you display value.

But, for long term prospects canada is closer to the US and Europe

Thanks everyone. I've made up my mind.

It may sound like a negative and defeatist decision but I've decided to cancel my visa process for the course in Auckland.

Instead, my new plan includes travelling to Vancouver and Auckland, each for 2 weeks, in October and December respectively.

Actually travelling to these places should give me a better idea of what I want.

Have already started my tourist visa application for Canada so I want to get started as quickly as possible and hopefully by the end of December, I will have a better idea of what step to take.

Does it sound like the right decision?

Quote: (09-24-2017 12:14 PM)testos111 Wrote:  

It may sound like a negative and defeatist decision but I've decided to cancel my visa process for the course in Auckland.

Instead, my new plan includes travelling to Vancouver and Auckland, each for 2 weeks, in October and December respectively.

Actually travelling to these places should give me a better idea of what I want.

Have already started my tourist visa application for Canada so I want to get started as quickly as possible and hopefully by the end of December, I will have a better idea of what step to take.

Sounds like a decent plan, especially for Auckland you have to really be here and see if you can handle it before you commit too much.

Hopefully I'm free when you're here if you want to meet. If it happens that I can't manage to follow through at least you got a free taste of Kiwi flaking [Image: angel.gif]. No but to be fair I'm much less flaky that most Kiwis.

Quote: (09-24-2017 12:14 PM)testos111 Wrote:  

Sure why not!