rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

For Those Interested in Anything Related to Photography

I appreciate so much having access to the info on this forum. This is an effort to give a little back.

This is an invitation to ask me any question(s) you may have surrounding photography. It could be anything related to photography - travel photography, post-processing, gear questions, business or hobby, posing, work schedule...like I said, anything.

I have had a small photography business for the last 8 years that has provided financially for me and some others around me; I may not be the authority on all things photography, but I should have enough experience/knowledge to answer most of your questions.

I did search the forum and did not see a thread like this, hopefully I did not miss anything.

Please ask, I will keep an eye on this thread...

Hey, thanks for creating this thread. I am an aspiring videographer. Do not have many questions as of now since I need to buy a camera first. M I want to buy a canon t5i with a 50mm lens for portrait photography. What other recommendations do you have mate?, I have a very limited budget since I live in Colombia, cheers!

Quote: (05-12-2017 11:36 AM)lonewolf1992 Wrote:  

Hey, thanks for creating this thread. I am an aspiring videographer. Do not have many questions as of now since I need to buy a camera first. M I want to buy a canon t5i with a 50mm lens for portrait photography. What other recommendations do you have mate?, I have a very limited budget since I live in Colombia, cheers!

Hey lonewolf,

T5i is a fine camera for someone just starting out, just want to make sure you understand that it is a crop sensor camera - meaning that a 50mm lens will, practically speaking, become an 85mm lens when mounted on any camera with a crop sensor (T5i included). T5i sensor basically takes any lens focal length and multiplies it by 1.6. A 200mm will have a field of view equivalent to a 320mm mounted on a full frame, 35mm would be almost 50mm and so on and so forth. Disregard if you already knew this.

The changes with focal lengths can be a good or bad thing, depending on what you are after. Another factor (which is not subjective) is the quality of images you will get out of a full frame sensor vs crop sensor. You will get higher quality images out of a full frame camera, this goes for photo as well as video. I know you said you are on a budget, but if you can wait to save a bit more, I would strongly recommend you go for a full frame camera. Longterm you will probably save money anyway. Also used cameras are not bad as long as you can get a hold of shutter count, as the shutter is usually the first thing to go. I do not know what the camera repair situation is like down there, but getting a new shutter is not the worst thing in the world $$-wise.

Where are you in Col? My fam is from BOG and I have been several times. Good luck with everything.

Hey Araveug what do you think about mirroless cameras ?

A few of my friends have the Sony A7RII (granted I'd go lower on the scale maybe a 6300)

This would be my first big purchase of a professional camera - I kind of know the basics.

The majority of my shooting would be while traveling on my Harley (think landscapes/action shots) or maybe some portraits here and there.

Hey buddy thanks for posting, this is right up my alley as I'm looking to get into photography. While I want to get into photography the DSL I would pick up would probably be used as much if not more so for videography so want to make sure I get a DSLR that has an active mode so I can see on the computer, ideally a flipout screen though not a dealbreaker if it doesn't have one, and I'm kind of cheap so not looking to spend a ton.

Would you suggest I buy something lower end new and spend my money on lenses or buy somehing better quality but used?

I saw costco they had a Nikon D3400 with two lenses and some accessories, is this any good? https://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3400-DSLR-...13565.html

Lastly, can you give me a few bullet points on mirrorless vs dslr? I've read on forums and hear critics of both side but curious to hear which you would choose.

Quote: (05-12-2017 03:22 PM)kaotic Wrote:  

Hey Araveug what do you think about mirroless cameras ?

A few of my friends have the Sony A7RII (granted I'd go lower on the scale maybe a 6300)

This would be my first big purchase of a professional camera - I kind of know the basics.

The majority of my shooting would be while traveling on my Harley (think landscapes/action shots) or maybe some portraits here and there.

Mirrorless cameras are great. Mirrorless could be great for you specifically if most of your images are captured while you are on the road - almost all mirrorless are smaller than their slr counterparts. As far as image quality goes, neither will help/hurt you too much - just a different style of camera. That said, make sure features of any individual model are what you are looking for. Last thing about mirror vs. slr, a lot of older/low-tier models do not have the multiple focus points that almost all slr's do. I am not sure how this has changed over the last several years, as I have not been following the mirrorless game lately. Something to look into if you are serious about the 6300.

The A7RII is a beast (quality/capability-wise). It is also full-frame - see my answer to first post above (focal lengths etc.) - full frame is the way to go if you are thinking you are the kind of person that will stick with hobbies for a while. The 6300 is a crop sensor (NOT full-frame), eventually, if you stick with it, you will feel the pull to step up to a full-frame sensor. But who cares, maybe you start small and go big later, or maybe you get over photos after a short while. Up to you. To clarify, I'm not encouraging purchase of A7RII specifically, just full-frame.

Enjoy those Harley travels.

Quote: (05-12-2017 03:45 PM)jamaicabound Wrote:  

Hey buddy thanks for posting, this is right up my alley as I'm looking to get into photography. While I want to get into photography the DSL I would pick up would probably be used as much if not more so for videography so want to make sure I get a DSLR that has an active mode so I can see on the computer, ideally a flipout screen though not a dealbreaker if it doesn't have one, and I'm kind of cheap so not looking to spend a ton.

Would you suggest I buy something lower end new and spend my money on lenses or buy somehing better quality but used?

I saw costco they had a Nikon D3400 with two lenses and some accessories, is this any good? https://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3400-DSLR-...13565.html

Lastly, can you give me a few bullet points on mirrorless vs dslr? I've read on forums and hear critics of both side but curious to hear which you would choose.

I would rather have something that is higher quality (due to any number of potential features) but may need a repair (90% it would be shutter) sooner than later than get a lower quality, but new, kit. If you insist on a new body, then get used high quality glass (lenses) - lenses have way more of a direct impact on your images/versatility right our of the gate. As far as that Costco kit goes, it just depends on what you are setting out to do. Are you going to try and make some money? If not, you can have fun with that thing, mess around and capture some decent images. Nobody charging market rates would use something like that, however. I am not insulting anyone who has a camera like that or discouraging you from buying it.

Re mirrorless, see my previous response. I know my previous post does not have a ton of details, but I am no expert on mirrorless, I just know the basics. I have only used SLR cameras simply because that is where I started and have not felt need to switch for any substantial reason. It would mean all new bodies and lenses, too much of an undertaking for me. If I were just getting into photography now, I would definitely give mirrorless real consideration - mostly due to slightly better portability, all the travel photography I do (personal hobby, not work).

Thanks for the question, hopefully my answer was helpful.

I would start with older full frame cameras like nikon d700. Just ignore those new model cameras in 3000 and 5000 something unless you want to be one of those dads walking around on his neck shooting Auto. You just cant go back to crop sensor once you felt that shutter sound from full frame.
$
Put money in Glass. It doesnt really depreciates esp if you buy it used.

Sony A7 series is great if you plan to shoot videos too. Its favored by hipster photographers these days i believe.

To OP, how did you start charging decent money and getting clients?
I just wanted to do something on the side but its just ridiculous how much they are offering.
(Craigslist gig section. Usually no pay or under miminum wage. Competition is very high too)

Did you set up a nice website and just wait for customers who are willing to pay?

Great thread idea. I have a few questions:

1. I'm planning on doing some major traveling. I'd like to take tons of pictures (something I've never done before). Would you recommend a photography course (maybe something online on coursera)? Do you have other resources you would recommend to people? I have no understanding of lighting, depth, and anything else art-related.

2. Since I'll be traveling, I'm hoping to pack as lightly as possible. What would you recommend the minimum is in terms of gear? Is it just a camera? For reference I'm hoping to take landscape, scenery, and monument type of pictures.

3. I have a pretty high budget. If you had to buy a camera/gear for a 3-4 year hobby (maybe longer, my total traveling is expected to be at least a year, if not more), what would you get? Assume price isn't a question, yet the pictures are mostly for internal satisfaction and maybe Instagram.

Not happening. - redbeard in regards to ETH flippening BTC

The best way to learn how to take good pictures is to realize what makes good pictures, look through photobooks and bodies of work from great photographers who's style you admire, study the composition, the subject matter, the light, the color, the tones, everything. Then shoot shoot shoot. Eventually, probably years later, things will start to really make sense.

Everyone who starts out thinks they're taking great pictures that in most likely hood completely suck and are boring, thats not what people want to hear but its the truth. You can dwell over what new camera to get and then finally come down to "the one" that your so convinced is right for you, and in the end it doesn't make a damn difference. An expensive camera or a large kit with a myriad or lenses and focal lengths to choose from isn't going to turn anyone into a great photographer, in fact the paradox of choice is likely to overwhelm people leading to too much experimentation and never finding a personal style. New photographers (even people who have been shooting for years) dwell over choice, none of that matters. In fact in the arts its often the limitations that feed creativity.

New photographers should really ask themselves what it is they like in pictures, what it is they want to create, and then decide the MINIMAL setup they need to get started exploring that. If your being honest with yourself you'll probably realize almost any camera made in the last 5-10 years will do.

Get nikon d810 with 70-200mm lens. It will work with everything.
Learn as you shoot. Youtube will teach you more.

Im guessing you will get eventually tired of carrying a camera and even pulling it out of a bag frequently.

There is a lot of labor in shooting photo. Its more important than your knowledge (can you wait till right time to shoot landscape scene, can you walk a lot more to find better angle etc)

After shooting, how are you going to manage files (my raw files were 78mb per pictrue), and edit it? This consumes time too

Just get nikon J series [Image: confused.gif]

Quote: (05-14-2017 03:56 AM)Genghis Khan Wrote:  

1. I'm planning on doing some major traveling. I'd like to take tons of pictures (something I've never done before). Would you recommend a photography course (maybe something online on coursera)? Do you have other resources you would recommend to people? I have no understanding of lighting, depth, and anything else art-related.

2. Since I'll be traveling, I'm hoping to pack as lightly as possible. What would you recommend the minimum is in terms of gear? Is it just a camera? For reference I'm hoping to take landscape, scenery, and monument type of pictures.

3. I have a pretty high budget. If you had to buy a camera/gear for a 3-4 year hobby (maybe longer, my total traveling is expected to be at least a year, if not more), what would you get? Assume price isn't a question, yet the pictures are mostly for internal satisfaction and maybe Instagram.

Quote: (05-14-2017 12:24 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

Im guessing you will get eventually tired of carrying a camera and even pulling it out of a bag frequently.

There is a lot of labor in shooting photo. Its more important than your knowledge (can you wait till right time to shoot landscape scene, can you walk a lot more to find better angle etc)

After shooting, how are you going to manage files (my raw files were 78mb per pictrue), and edit it? This consumes time too

The overwhelming majority of amateur photographers are never going to be able to truly utilize a sensor with that many megapixels, or even all the advanced features that thing possesses, for someone who probably doesn't even understand the exposure triangle yet, that shits major overkill.

And a 70-200 on that camera means your only option is telephoto, arguably the least versatile focal range. On top of that, its a massive lens and body, have fun carrying that along for your travels.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Hey bud, tell us more about your photography business if you wish! I'm curious

I use an iPhone. I shoot lots of great video. I used to be more into photos, but gave up on it. I was only selling to stock photo websites. Not much money for the effort though its residual.

Do you have your own website? There's no real alternative to YouTube for video. I'm always having problems with them (really google not YouTube) because I log in from different IPs all over the world.

Was thinking of starting my own video sharing site but I think the bandwidth would be expensive.

^^^ seconded, the 70-200mm is not really useful as it's a telephoto. I bought an older nikon 70-210mm for 140$, I'm not spending 1400$ on a 70-200mm your better off with a 24-70mm if your going to spend that much $$. Anyone have experience with olympus mirrorless cameras? they're more compact and lighter, but the 24-70mm equivalent the 12-40 is cheaper than the nikon 24-70mm.

Also, anyone knows how the sigma 24-70mm measures up? I'm interested in buying one since it's so cheap compared to the nikon or tamron counterparts.

Quote: (05-13-2017 08:24 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

I would start with older full frame cameras like nikon d700. Just ignore those new model cameras in 3000 and 5000 something unless you want to be one of those dads walking around on his neck shooting Auto. You just cant go back to crop sensor once you felt that shutter sound from full frame.
$
Put money in Glass. It doesnt really depreciates esp if you buy it used.

Sony A7 series is great if you plan to shoot videos too. Its favored by hipster photographers these days i believe.

To OP, how did you start charging decent money and getting clients?
I just wanted to do something on the side but its just ridiculous how much they are offering.
(Craigslist gig section. Usually no pay or under miminum wage. Competition is very high too)

Did you set up a nice website and just wait for customers who are willing to pay?

My story is just that, mine; everyone's mileage WILL vary. My first target was weddings (have not shot a wedding now in over a year, my own choice). When I first got into this stuff, a lot of people around me were getting ready to tie the knot. My very first weekend of shooting was the result for me putting out 'free engagement session' offers to some people who knew some people who were engaged. I did two for free, then started to charge a very low fee. The first wedding I shot totally on my own was the wedding of a couple of friends of mine; they wanted photos but were not picky and their budget reflected that - they paid me $1,000 to shoot their wedding. At the beginning it is fun, you are passionate and excited to really put into practice everything you've been learning (by assisting established pros), but there is also a lot of pressure because you need every gig to produce some portfolio-worthy images (so you can charge more $$). All the while, I am building up my blog and facebook presence. I slowly built up my portfolio and upped my price every few weddings. It was hard, I am over simplifying a bit. Word of mouth is powerful, I had some clients whose weddings led to several more (like a pyramid).

Another very important factor is where you are located - I am in Orange County. Compared to the USA overall, almost everyone here has money and, in many parts of the southern cali as a whole, people are willing pay more for what they want (or what they perceive they want). Weddings are a big business in LA/OC/SD counties, a huge business.

I am not sure exactly what is going up on craigslist these days, but what you describe sounds terrible. I did run into some clients who said 'Well this guys i offering everything you are for 1/3 the price, can you match?'. Well, the truth is it SEEMED to them that he was matching my services, but the reality is, they could not match my quality, customer service, references, portfolio etc. Did everyone buy it when I told them that? Not a chance. But you gotta call their bluff and be ready for them to walk away if they wont pay you what you want (I was always ready to negotiate a bit, but not down to craigslist numbers). If you are in business for yourself for a long enough time, you become at least proficient in noticing the signs of a bad client. Don't touch them, you'll get burned. Decent clients are out there. I have heard some bad stories from former 'craigslist clients', but also some good ones - it is simply a mixed bag.

I have also collected over the years a decent group of teams that I photograph. The systems are a bit more complicated, but there is still great $$ potential in this. I am now focused (punny) on architectural/design photography and have shot hundreds of commercial properties - caught a big break on that because I impressed the right extended family member. Once you get a foot in the door, you claw your way through that doorway. Got a drone too for this work.

1. Online resources can be great, but I did more hands on learning. A course would be fine, but there are plenty of free resources (I know money is not an issue for you). I am sure youtube has tons of basic and cheesy yet practical videos. Quickest way to understand the way photographers see the world and the way their gear sees the world would be to hook up with a photog and snap some images together - go work with one, become an assistant. Obviously not everyone has time for that - got any photographer friends? Even once you grasp something intellectually, it does take time to put it into practice with consistent success. If you do some research online or hook up with someone in person but still have questions, feel free to PM me. I don't mind helping out.

2. Some photographer put out a book several years ago called 'The best camera is the one you have with you.' I am sure you get the idea. I did 4 weeks all over germany with my iphone 6s Plus as my primary camera. I used my full sized rig (canon 5dIII) a handful of times, but I knew my logistics would only leave me frustrated if I forced myself to try and use my canon 100% of the time. mobile phone cameras are dong amazing things these days. There are even companies producing lenses just for iphone cameras (moment lenses are best I've seen)and delivering great results. In short, the minimum is taking a phone with a decent camera - you'll still have a lot of fun capturing some frames. The next step up from there would be investing in some phone lenses. I know it sounds like bs, but it ain't. The other thing about mobile phone photography is that it is very streamlined with social media, obviously. No messing around on your comp to edit photos, convert formats, cropping, etc. Snap pic on phone, maybe a quick edit/touchup on phone, then right to instagram (which you mentioned).

3. I cannot give you specific models but some specific ideas. I would look for a full frame mirrorless camera and a high end zoom lens (probably around the 24-70mm area). Don't get caught with a mirrorless cam that has slow focus/few focus points (look into it). I know money is not an issue for you, but this gear gets expensive and sometimes, based on principal, people will seek out used gear. Used lenses barely lose value and can sometimes gain value depending on company's product pipeline. For many, it is the way to go.

Enjoy your travels.

Aeroektar has it right. Most photographers get way too obsessed with their gear and settings, never really learning about what actually makes a great picture. Photography is an art, not a science. The key is composition, the arrangement of objects within the space. Your control as a photographer is fairly limited. Your main levers are choosing the subject and how you are framing it within the picture. Lighting and posing also come into play for certain kinds of photography. Again, composition is everything. You want there to be a balance, so the objects of visual interest are distributed evenly across the space, and that any imbalance is carefully calibrated and intentional. Try taking many versions of the same image with slight variations. Go through them carefully and try to understand why a certain one is better than all the others. Over time, you will develop a sense for what "feels right". Some of the best compositions of all time came from the painters Cezanne and de Kooning, carefully study their works and try to understand why they are so good. The principles of what makes a good image are universal across all mediums.

Also check this out, free online lecture from Stanford professor:
https://sites.google.com/site/marclevoylectures/home

Quote: (05-14-2017 02:23 PM)Le Siamois Wrote:  

Hey bud, tell us more about your photography business if you wish! I'm curious

I started off shooting as an assistant with a well-established local photographer that did mostly weddings and some portraits/commercial stuff on the side. That is probably the one context in which I learned the most. Once I started getting my own weddings, it is a pretty quick to engagement sessions or even portraits etc.

Having grown up playing lacrosse in my area (through college), I still had a decent network in that world. I put some feelers out and quickly got a couple of clubs to bring me in as their 'photo day' guy. Once you get a couple of teams, you really have to screw something up to not branch out due to parents having kids in different sports, siblings etc. The sport things is a little complicated with many moving parts and details. There is very little loyalty there - this is part of my livelihood, but to the decision makers in the clubs, they do not care which photographer does the images.

After a couple of years making money as a photog, I used an extended family relationship to get my foot in the door at a local well known commercial real estate brokerage. I photographed a massive portion of their (then) current and previous portfolios - it was awesome. They flew me to vegas, phoenix - so many fun projects. Just writing about this gets me pumped. It was pretty good times.

Fast forward a few years...
Could not get out of shooting weddings fast enough so I started a side business while I nurtured the other aspects of my photo biz to the best of my abilities. Now I still have some teams and groups while I am putting most of my 'new biz' efforts into architectural/design photography.

I still very much love taking photos as a hobby, specially travel photos.

Quote: (05-14-2017 02:36 PM)Travel Museums Wrote:  

I use an iPhone. I shoot lots of great video. I used to be more into photos, but gave up on it. I was only selling to stock photo websites. Not much money for the effort though its residual.

Do you have your own website? There's no real alternative to YouTube for video. I'm always having problems with them (really google not YouTube) because I log in from different IPs all over the world.

Was thinking of starting my own video sharing site but I think the bandwidth would be expensive.

iphone is a great cam for photo/video. great because you always have it with you.

I do have a couple of sites with my portfolios up.

You are aware of vimeo, right? I have used it for some stuff. It is perceived as being geared more to creative, artistic types.

Quote: (05-14-2017 12:58 PM)aeroektar Wrote:  

The overwhelming majority of amateur photographers are never going to be able to truly utilize a sensor with that many megapixels, or even all the advanced features that thing possesses, for someone who probably doesn't even understand the exposure triangle yet, that shits major overkill.

And a 70-200 on that camera means your only option is telephoto, arguably the least versatile focal range. On top of that, its a massive lens and body, have fun carrying that along for your travels.

nobody, except some niche professionals, should be concerned either way about megapixels. As long as it has 10-12 plus you can do 99% of anything you would ever want to do.

70-200 is def not a good choice for travel photography. Agreed.

Any suggestions for a cheap camera less than 100 bucks .
I just want something I can take some pictures while I'm on a road trip. I can get something more expensive later .

They no longer make film cameras eh?

I'd get a vintage camera also.

First of all, shoutout to Araveug for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.

I'm trying to take photos similar to the ones in these people's instagram, specifically the first guy.

https://www.instagram.com/followtheraven/
https://www.instagram.com/levitatestyle/?hl=en

Right now I have a Gopro Hero 4 Black, a Leica X2 and my daily Samsung S4 camera. On my last trip I used my Gopro a lot with a selfie stick however you could tell I was using a selfie stick. Now I want to learn how to use a dedicated tripod to up the photo quality. I figure a camera on a tripod with a remote would be the best way to go to achieve the photos above.

With the Leica, I always found that the photos I took had a weird look to them. It's probably because I don't know how to use the lens. I was thinking about just selling it and using the money towards a Sony RX100 which looks like it has more features in a more compact package which would mean I'd carry it around more.

Another alternative would be to get a screen for the Gopro and to compose the photo that way and then remove the fisheye afterwards however the quality wouldn't be as good I'm thinking.

How would you take photos like those examples above without a photographer following you around?

I have a basic understanding of composition, aperture, shutter speed, iso, etc. For the latter 3 my sticking point would be how to work all 3 together better. With the Leica since the shutter speed and aperture have their own dials, I would play a lot with different combinations of the 3 to see what the camera did. Getting a solid tripod I think would really make a big difference in my photography to begin with. I have a very cheap and thin aluminum one I got from amazon for my Gopro and already see the immediate results however I wouldn't put a more expensive camera on it.

It's about whether you can afford it or not.

Why do you need pilot watches when you are not a pilot.
Why do you need high end down jackets when you are not climbing Himalaya
Why do you need $$$ light weight bicycle if you are not an athlete.

It's because you can simply buy one, you just want nice things and you want to show off etc. Whatever that is, it's their money.

2 million megapixel is enough for web use. I use stills from my video camera for instagram. it's about 2 mil and it's just enough. I sold my d800 because I realized everybody was doing the same thing with dslrs and I thought stills from video camera produces more unique look. (cinematic look)

70-200 is a very good lens for portraits. It's also a good lens for street photography since you don't have to get close to the subjects. This lens make you look like a pro. I wouldn't go to well paid shoot with little prime lens because people who don't know about camera, will just judge you based on your gear. You need a decent gear even if you volunteer to shoot (work for free) at some events too. They will brush you off if you got some beginner setup.
Guys with cameras on streets check out each others gear. You can buy the nice one if you want to feel better when it comes to that staring at each others' gear situation.

Do I sound absurd? but what's the point if you see a kid with professional setup and say 'I bet he can't maximize his camera. I can shoot better pics with my d5500'
Is that a Jealousy?

At the end of the day, getting into photography with professional gears is Cheap. (as long as you are not talking about phase one and hasselblad)

Just try not to develop the taste for film camera. (movie camera)
That's a whole different world.

Quote: (05-14-2017 12:58 PM)aeroektar Wrote:  

Quote: (05-15-2017 06:14 PM)ShotgunUppercuts Wrote:  

Any suggestions for a cheap camera less than 100 bucks .
I just want something I can take some pictures while I'm on a road trip. I can get something more expensive later .

They no longer make film cameras eh?

I'd get a vintage camera also.

No recommendations at that price, off of the top of my head. Best thing would be to use your smartphone cam and buy some accessories with that $100 (remote shutter release, gorillapod etc.). If your phone sucks, then upgrade it with that $100. The camera alone would make it worth it, plus you get a sweet new phone.

There are film cameras out there, if that is your thing. Not sure who is making them. Plenty of used ones, though.