rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Questions about my diet and training

So after hitting 89 kg six months ago, I've decided to get my shit together and lose weight so I started eating less and exercised more and now I'm sitting at 83 kg. My goal is to hit 77 kg with muscles, but the past two weeks I've been sitting at 83 kg. Luckily the gym I go to are opening a new branch next to work so I'll be able to make that trip 3-4 times a week instead of the usual 2.

Now my diet used to consist of 40% carbs (rice, pasta, bread) and the rest is divided between veggies and protein (I can eat any type of meat including organs), however after hitting that wall I decided to scrap carbs and just have veggies and protein. After a week of doing that I still didn't lose weight. my upper body is fine, but my abdominal area has that tire of fat that shows off when I sit down wearing a tight shirt and that's the area I'm going for.

Another thing is alcohol, while I don't drink often on my own, social drinking is a norm in Japan when it comes to work and there is pretty much no way to avoid it if you want to maintain good relationships with the managers. Can whiskey be a better substitute to beer?

The last point is muscle training as I seem to have a problem with my arms. I have a good back and chest from playing Judo for almost 10 years, but currently the proportion of my arms to my torso is different. When I wear a T shirt my size, I fill it up nicely but then the sleeves are not filled up due to the size of bi/triceps. Should I start taking whey and focusing more days on the arms? or should I start doing more body weight exercises?

First Principles

Quote: (04-17-2017 09:42 PM)Jack_Smith Wrote:  

First Principles

Thanks, a good read!

I feel like I keep making the same post over and over again...

First off get on a clean diet of: Meat, Seafood, Vegetables, Nuts and Fruit.
This is all you need to build big strong muscles, be energized, healthy and lean as you want.

Second, know that 99% of diet and exercise programs work,
people just have a strange habit of giving up.

Third and most important - be accountable,
post your weekly progress in this thread or pick a Forum Member to PM your progress to.

Useful things for you to research:
Intermittent Fasting
Morning Fasted Cardio
Yoga + Martial Arts

So I see two problems here that are worth addressing, and each have simple fixes.

The weight: Don't worry too much about your macro-nutrient blend. Provided you're getting an adequate amount of protein, (1.5-2G per kg of body mass), the rest of your macro-nutrient split is less important for general weight loss. To lower your bodyfat percentage you're going to have to properly manage your caloric deficit. Do you currently track your calories/monitor your activity level and cardio? If not, this is where you need to start. As far as your beer v. whiskey question? Both pack tons of empty calories so choose accordingly and try your best to budget for booze in your weekly caloric intake. If you need more help with this, I can lay out a blueprint for you.

For your arms: do not waste your time doing a dedicated arm day. You need heavy weights and progressive overload. If you want to build your biceps, chinups are your best friend. Ideally, weighted chinups are even better. These build your arms (and your entire upper body actually), and pack far more stimulus in then a simple bicep curl. For your triceps, focus on barbell movements. Heavy overhead presses are great, especially the push press. Close grip benching as well, is also a huge help.

The above advice is also good. None of this matters if you are not consistent. Fitness transformations take years of consistent effort. If you need me to elaborate on anything that I've said here, do not hesitate to ask.

Arm size follows overall body size, and strength. Never saw a pair of 19" guns on a guy rocking a medium t shirt.

Build your whole body strength up into the stratosphere and get your bodyweight to 3.8lbs per inch of height and your arms will be fucking bigger. Guaranteed.

I started using a calorie intake recorder and I'll start a more consistent exercise routine. My goal is to hit 77 KG by August, so I'll keep weighting myself weekly and posting it here. Thanks for the tips

Quote: (04-18-2017 01:50 PM)Steelex Wrote:  

Arm size follows overall body size, and strength. Never saw a pair of 19" guns on a guy rocking a medium t shirt.

Build your whole body strength up into the stratosphere and get your bodyweight to 3.8lbs per inch of height and your arms will be fucking bigger. Guaranteed.

Never heard of this before but I like numbers. Apparently I got to get up to 277 pounds. Looks like I have a lot of work to do.

To the OP

As far as alcohol, yes, whiskey would be better than beer. Whiskey doesn't have hops in it (or much in the way of carbs either). Hops is a form of estrogen and it does lower testosterone levels. To what degree can be debated, but it does lower test so you'll want to stick to hard liquors.

Whiskey can be mixed with diet soda or other calorie free mixers and you should be alright. Alcohol is a weird source of calories - it will not get stored as fat but it will slow down fat loss. This is because your liver has to deal with it right away from what I can understand.

Social drinking won't make you fat, it's social drinking paired with bar food, pizza and all the other stuff that makes you fat. What blows is that drinking on an empty stomach or in a slightly dehydrated state (easier to be in on a low carb diet) will get you fucking smashed in a hurry. Definitely pull your shots.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (04-20-2017 11:22 AM)Hannibal Wrote:  

Quote: (04-18-2017 01:50 PM)Steelex Wrote:  

Never heard of this before but I like numbers. Apparently I got to get up to 277 pounds. Looks like I have a lot of work to do.

Same here, at 182lbs I apparently still need to put on 90lbs.

[Image: laugh3.gif]

At 182 lbs you are a petite man.

^
Me:
[Image: giphy.gif]

Steelex:
[Image: 99eacc0b3972ab4434c5121fc8eb0639.gif]