rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Rio de Janeiro and Salvador Brazil Carnival 2017 Datasheet

I'm sure there are a few of these data sheets out there, and I realize this won't be useful for a year, but it's fresh on my mind and I think it will be quite helpful.

What: Carnival is a giant celebration around the world in the days leading up to Lent. It differs from city to city and country to country, but what I'll be focusing on are the two biggest Carnivals in Brazil, Salvador and Rio de Janeiro.

Safety: A fanny pack will be the best purchase of your carnival. Keep a condom, 100-200 reals, and a phone you don't mind losing. I recommend an old iPhone 4 or 5, you can get a SIM card for $15 with unlimited whatsapp. If you catch someone pick pocketing you, don't try to fight. They will be with a group and that's a quick way to end your carnival. Grab their hand and push it away. If you see a fight, scatter from it. Be careful using google maps for directions. One minute you might feel safe, the next you are in a Favela or on a bridge full of crackheads (that happened). Just be smart and if something doesn't seem right, get out of the situation as quickly as possible. Bring sunscreen, lots of it. 30spf isn't even enough if you are light skinned and you sweat it all off really quickly. Also drink a bunch of water. 35 Celsius combined with lots of alcohol and not enough water leaves a lot of people miserable at Carnival.

You will hate Brazil carnival if:
- You are a germaphobe. You will be waking in literal piss and making out with girls that have kissed quite a few guys already
- You aren't ok making out with 16 and 17 year olds. Age of consent is 14, I'll draw the line at 16 though.
- You get attached to a female quickly. You'll go get a beer and when you return she's making out with another dude.
- You hate sweating profusely. Rio carnival can be as hot as 37 Celsius.

Getting the Kiss:
In a span of about 7 hours between two Blocos, my buddy (roosh forum member as well) and I nearly kissed 100 Brazilian women. This strategy is tried and tested, and trust me, the more you talk the less chance you have with Brazilians.

Step 1: walk up to the group and ask if they speak English. If they say yes, ask their name. They'll ask where are you from. Sometimes only 1 of a group will speak English. She'll get a big smile on her face and swing her body around so it's facing you. Alternatively the friends will grab a girl and push her towards you and say she does. She is the target. If no one does, ask for Spanish if you speak it. Alternatively jump straight in to step 2 with the one you think is hot.

Step 2: At this point either you or your wing will have gravitated to one more closely than the other. The wing then says Beija (kiss) to the unclaimed girls and starts to quietly chant Beija over and over. Normally it doesn't take long, but more and more people join in until it's too much to bare. If she is really against it you can try for a peck or settle for a cheek kiss. Once the first one gets his kiss, you can ask a second for a Beija and she'll either be in or the chant will start again. Depending on the time of the night, this will be basically the end of the interaction.

Step 2 alternative: No one has gravitated particularly and one girl seems into both, just straight up ask her who she wants to make out with. Hint: it'll be the one that made the initial approach, regardless of looks.

Step 3: Collect a whatsapp or Instagram, tell them you want to have a drink with them later in the week, one last makeout and good bye.

Note: at any point if a girl holds eye contact with you, touches you with something, pulls on part of your costume, or shows any interest at all, walk up confidently and start kissing them. I was a block from my hostel and a girl on the sidewalk held eye contact, I walked up, no words were said and a minute later she was against a wall with her hand down my pants and mine down hers. Another time we were in McDonalds at 4 in the afternoon and I started chatting up a girl. A minute later we were making out. (Side note: last night (5 days later) she finally accepted my Instagram request and opened with a Portuguese "hey my good looking love" followed by "I want to be with you." Of course it happened to be the day I left for Buenos Aires)

Also, there is no point in getting jealous it she's making out with another guy right after you. That's what they do, it's the equivalent to hugging someone in the USA and you wouldn't get mad at a girl for hugging someone after she hugged you, would you?

SALVADOR:

Overview: Carnival in Salvador is legit. It doesn't hold back. You need to watch your back at all times, anything in your pocket will be gone within an hour, and you need to avoid the 1984 style marching military police that won't hesitate to start kidney punching you if you get in their way when they are marching through the seas of people. Disclaimer: if you are a gringo they will probably not punch you, rather use their stick to slide you out of the way.

All that said, it's also really fun. There are 3 different areas where the parties happen, although Barra seems to be the go to one for the type of people this forum will be looking for. Basically there is a giant parade with 3 options. The cheapest option is free, just walk with the parade and find a float with music you like. We did that a few nights and had a fantastic time. The 2nd is a bloco, which is a roped off moving parade float. It has bathrooms and open bar and you choose one with the music or artists that you like. It can be 1000s of people inside, so it's possible to lose your friends inside.. not a bad idea to have an area within it to regroup. The final option is Camarotes which starts at about $250. These are stationary bars along side the parade. Think about the two story bars on Bourbon Street with everyone hanging out on the balconies. This includes everything from food to drinks to massages, and can include a-list DJs. Both of the latter options include a tshirt which acts as your ticket. You can also leave and enter both as much as possible, so you aren't just limited to talking to the people inside. Some people also create their own Blocos with rope as well.

Logistics make it a bit tough to get laid here for multiple reasons:

1- You probably don't want to go out alone here, so unless you have a group you are with, hostels may be the way to go. Unfortunately it'll be about the same price as splitting an airbnb, and your chances of getting laid get chopped by probably 66%.

2- Much of the Salvador parties is based on either Blocos or Camarotes, which aren't cheap, with the good ones costing up to $1000. You most likely won't be convincing a girl that paid $300 to leave before the night has run its course.

Where to stay: as close to Barra as possible would be ideal. Galaria 13 was an amazing hostel with delicious breakfast and a pool, but expensive during carnival week, in the wrong neighbourhood, and no guest policy. I also met some amazing people there, so I can't say I regret it. Cabs are non existent at the end of the night, and the only way to get a girl back will be taking separate moto taxis.

Cost: beers are 2 reals each, or 3 for 5 if you push it. Caipirinhas are R$5-10. Accommodation is around $70 usd per person if you split an airbnb or for a dorm room at a hostel. The street meat is delicious and very inexpensive.

Women: the people in salvador are very dark skinned. Luckily if you aren't a fan, there will be lots of girls visiting from other areas so you'll be able to find what you are looking for, just not in the same quantities as Rio.

RIO DE JANEIRO
Rio's Carnival is basically a never ended series of Blocos in different neighborhoods. The website wikirio.com.br as well as their app lists everything you need to know about each bloco, which range from my favorite (and many Brazilians' favorite as well) Sargent Pepper, the stationary Beatles cover band bloco, to a marijuana bloco, to Super Mario bloco. They can range from 100s of people to 10,000s of people. Basically you meet at a start point and the parade marches through the streets with everyone in tow. Some, including my favorite, are set up more like a festival experience with a fixed stage. All along the route there will be food and drink vendors. Some of the Blocos start at 8-9am so don't expect to sleep much. There was one that I had made out with 25 girls before 2pm. I napped afterwords, and am still feeling the sunburn 6 days later.

Where to stay: if you stay at a hostel, you need to stay at Books hostel. It's ridiculous. If you want to bang multiple gringas, this is your place. I slept with 4 girls from the hostel in 6 days, and that was with dedicating basically all of my time to Blocos. If you want to bang multiple Brazilian girls, this is not your place. All that said, if you want to combine the best of both worlds, rent an apartment in Lapa, head over to books to party (open the public), find a couple good wings, plant some seeds with the gringas for later, and don't get sucked into the giant gringo parties where you end up waiting on the street for 2 hours every time you try to get a group together for the Blocos.

Transportation isn't bad in Rio, and logistics are going to vary bloco by bloco so you would be fine in Copacabana, Ipanema, Gloria, or a few other neighbourhoods. Lapa is probably one of the better spots for the nightlife however.

Cost: Beers are R$3 for 10, caipirinhas are 5-10 depending on the size, and tequila shots are 5. Accommodation is $60-100 usd per person if sharing an Airbnb, or $60-80 usd for a dorm.

Women: much more light skinned than up north. You still get some dark, and overall darker than the average American, but for me the further south the girl was from, the better looking I found her to be. Endless gorgeous 17-20 year olds in skimpy clothing. Take advantage of the day time, the quality drops a lot after 10-11pm as the younger ones go home. This is different than salvador since in salvador the party doesn't start until the evening.

Final thoughts:
I recommend staying at least a full week after carnival ends. The Blocos continue until Saturday (there is a massive one at 9am the Saturday morning after carnival ends) and if you follow the above guide you'll have dozens of contacts to follow up with. 10 days would probably be even better. I'm guessing I'd have had about 4-5 more closes at least if i had through next weekend. Every time I go on Instagram I have 3-4 messages from girls I met.

Don't be a pussy. The one who makes the approach is the one that has the best success. I think most people would say my wing is a better looking guy than me, but I ended up with the hottest one on basically all of the sets I opened.

Don't gringo party it up. You are paying so much money to be there, if that's all you want to do just go to a party hostel in Eastern Europe or one of the cheaper South American cities. Or to Rio any other time during peak season, Books will always be a shit show.

Find a good wing or two and make moves. Anything more than 4 or 5 people and it becomes a logistical nightmare to get moving and stay together. If someone is dragging you down, ditch and move on.

Get a SIM card. It'll set you back like $20 for a gig and unlimited whatsapp. Do that everywhere, not just carnival. It's such a minor investment to be able to catch that late night whatsapp or tinder message. I hear too often about people who get home to find out they were being messaged by a girl that wanted to meet up.

Turn your normal pick up brain off. A friend and I were so damn frustrated the first day of carnival because everyone was making out, and we were getting shut down after a really good "western style" 10 minute pick up attempt. I'd estimate you have two freebie sentences, then it's -10% chance every sentence after that, with the odd exception.

Edit: my results were 7 lays in 11 days. 3 Brazilians, 2 Aussies, a Danish girl, and a Brit. See my personal thread for how those when down

Quote: (03-05-2017 01:36 PM)DigitalNomad Wrote:  

Turn your normal pick up brain off. A friend and I were so damn frustrated the first day of carnival because everyone was making out, and we were getting shut down after a really good "western style" 10 minute pick up attempt. I'd estimate you have two freebie sentences, then it's -10% chance every sentence after that, with the odd exception

Well said and 100% true.

Pensive and analytical guys will get eaten alive in Brazil. Take everything you've learned and throw it away, start from scratch,

You: "Hey , you're hot, give me a kiss."
Her: Ok.
You: Nice meeting you, hit me up later if you want to party.
Her: Whatsapp me.

Quote: (03-05-2017 01:46 PM)LINUX Wrote:  

Turn your normal pick up brain off. A friend and I were so damn frustrated the first day of carnival because everyone was making out, and we were getting shut down after a really good "western style" 10 minute pick up attempt. I'd estimate you have two freebie sentences, then it's -10% chance every sentence after that, with the odd exception

Well said and 100% true.

Pensive and analytical guys will get eaten alive in Brazil. Take everything you've learned and throw it away, start from scratch,

Yep. My cousin lives in Savador Brazil. At 14yo he already fucked over 30 girls. He just grabs girls n makes out

How much harder is it outside of carneval season?

Do girls with boyfriends generally also make out with guys left and right?

Well said and 100% true.

Commenting based on multiple Carnavals in SP (similar to Rio's bloco culture):

I actually tend to do worse during Carnaval than the rest of the year exactly because of the above. This year I had a breakthrough and did way better.

Although "turn your normal pick up brain off", in some ways you need to turn your normal brain off, period. You can get away with almost anything during Carnaval, and honestly you don't last long enough for the marathon of blocos if you're not either intoxicated or give a fuck.

I very often roll solo to clubs here, but in my opinion wingmen are essential during Carnaval. Not just to tackle friends or help watch your back, but also as hype men starting the "Beija" chants, doing stupid dances, and overall contribuiting to get you into the party vibe. In normal circustances I'm a sniper, but during Carnaval if you're not having a blast picking up girls gets wayyy harder. One or two guys is all you need, and the squad should agree that you're working together but the primary goals are individual.

Going with an elaborate costume is beyond unnecessary. It's too hot, crowded and humid. If you're wearing one, go with something low effort. Like if you want to dress as a doctor, just wear a stethoscope and put your white apron on top of swimming trunks.

I saw some hilarious, easy to make costumes that were great openers. One was a group thing - a few guys spray painted dots on their shirts, like dominos, and made a big dice out of cardboard. They'd ask girls to throw the dice and they had to kiss whoever the number was.

Another dude had a Twister costume.

[Image: Twister-Costume-For-Adults.jpg]

Girls would spin the wheel and touch him wherever the arrow pointed - but he glued a quarter to the arrow so it would always point to his dick. [Image: icon_lol.gif]

Personally I don't ever wear a costume, just an open colorful short sleeve shirt showing my chest/six pack, shorts and flip flops.

Rather, I found that bringing props worked much better.

This year I bought some water pistols and they were a hit. I opened dozens of girls by squirting water on them. When my buddies squirted them, I'd step in front and go "I'll protect you", hug them tight and go for the kiss. With large groups of girls, I'd also teach them how to squirt water on someone without them realizing and we'd howl at how they can't find whoever did it.

I also had a necklace with a ring on it and would ask girls to see if it fit on their fingers, and if it did we had to get married.

Most approaches should last 30s or less. But depending on the situation it could go up to, say, 2-3 minutes - like if there's a group and everyone is sorting things out. Beyond that it's not worth it.

I spent carnaval in Belo Horizonte this year. So many of these tips are universally true there as well. The "beija" chants are absolutely fucking gold. Once your crew, and by-standers start peer pressuring the girl, it's almost impossible for her to say no.

Thanks for the great data sheet, will likely go to one of these cities for Carnaval next year.

Quote: (03-10-2017 09:10 PM)Carbon Migrant Wrote:  

I spent carnaval in Belo Horizonte this year. So many of these tips are universally true there as well. The "beija" chants are absolutely fucking gold. Once your crew, and by-standers start peer pressuring the girl, it's almost impossible for her to say no.

Thanks for the great data sheet, will likely go to one of these cities for Carnaval next year.

Are you still in Belo Horizonte ?

Anyone in Rio the moment? I arrive on Tuesday for 10 nights, will be solo staying in Ipanema. Up for hitting the beach, gym, food/drinks, nightlife etc. (In decent style/shape, good bankroll, do well in clubs but not much experience daygaming)

Well said and 100% true.

That only works if you are:

a) Foreigner
b) Good looking

Since we are like 2 weeks out I'll give this a quick bump. Anyone gonna be around this year? I'll be in Rio from the 7-17th. Got a condo in Lapa this year so logistics are going to be much better than a 10 bed dorm haha.

Quote: (01-22-2018 04:54 PM)DigitalNomad Wrote:  

Since we are like 2 weeks out I'll give this a quick bump. Anyone gonna be around this year? I'll be in Rio from the 7-17th. Got a condo in Lapa this year so logistics are going to be much better than a 10 bed dorm haha.

I'll be in Rio. Will be staying around the Copacabana/Ipanema area.

I'll PM you the week of.

I'm going to Rio for 2 nights (Leblon area), then Muzambinho Carnival for 5 nights (college carnival), then Florianópolis for 3 nights.

I've been to Carnaval in Rio twice and this year I'm going to be in Manaus, arriving Monday and staying through the festivities... Anyone else going to be there by some slim chance? [Image: cool.gif]

Wonder how well these tactics work for black guys ?

Quote: (01-25-2018 03:33 PM)manly5000 Wrote:  

I've been to Carnaval in Rio twice and this year I'm going to be in Manaus, arriving Monday and staying through the festivities... Anyone else going to be there by some slim chance? [Image: cool.gif]

Hi dude, just for curiosity: Why are you going to spend the best Brazilian holiday in a city without any carnival tradition and that no one else goes?

Manaus itself is by far the easiest place in Brazil to get laid, you can get 1 new notch per day without any big effort, but it´s far, very far, of being a good carnival spot. Actually, local people try to get out to other spots, like Rio or Salvador, during this part of the year.

Their "carnival" is the Parintins Festival, a folklore party in late June that drags lots of tourists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parintins_...e_Festival

Quote: (01-25-2018 07:15 PM)Dafffy Wrote:  

Those tactics work for anyone with a athletic body (would say that being strong is better than being handsome in Brazilian Carnival) and an alpha attitude. Colour doesn't matter.

Quote: (01-25-2018 07:15 PM)Dafffy Wrote:  

From my experiences I have to agree with a lot of what the OP and Linux about pickup game during carnival. Throw out everything "Western wise" you think about out the window down there.

I can't vouch for Rio or other cities but in Salvador it was a HUGE culture shock to see "caveman pickup game" happen in person.

Guys literally grabbing women like a slab of meat or as their piece of property for groping/kissing. I'm was like no way on earth the amount of things i saw would fly back home.

I was like: "Nooooo don't do that she's gonna slap you and there's going to be so much trou----, oh wait a minute I can't believe it....she's not resisting!"

Local brazilian guys were cool as a MFer to me, they would wing for me when the language was a problem. Or when I needed a good kick ass dose of reality that I needed to be more macho/alpha/open to be more like them and forget my inhibitions or uncertainty.

Quote: (01-25-2018 09:36 PM)Banna Wrote:  

I can't vouch for Rio or other cities but in Salvador it was a HUGE culture shock to see "caveman pickup game" happen in person.

It´s pretty much the same in Rio and in all other cities with "street carnival" (ouro preto, diamantina, porto seguro, olinda, etc).

Welcome to the biggest party on Earth! [Image: kissy.gif][Image: kissy.gif][Image: kissy.gif]

A few things I'd like to chime in with the OP's great post.

Yes Salvador is a chiefly black city, but if you like the more typical "Southern Brazilian look" and if you don't mind forking out the few extra bucks the camarotes are where to get your "Loirinha" fix...you go in any camarote and you wouldn't even think you were in Salvador. Theres a lot of EDM played. There are few black people in the camarotes. I'm pretty sure it'd be a challenge to convince girls to exit there. But many were stunners.....far higher quality than on the route. A fellow Toronto guy I met down there liked to just stand outside the camarotes and game the girls coming in and out.

I disagree with the OP......I LOVE the logistics during carnival. I never had to travel anywhere other than foot during the week. I got really unlucky upon arrival, then lucky in terms of accommodation. A Baiano living overseas put me in touch with a guy that flaked on a apartment rental and I was walking around Porto Da Barra with luggage and nowhere to go for the next month or so....but look and behold there was a woman walking on the street waving a sign saying "Aluga temporada". We chatted and she ended up putting me in a apartment.....to my surprise almost across from the lighthouse at the start of the Barra/Ondina route which was better than where I was originally going to stay.

Over the next few days I saw quite a few locals walking around offering apartments for rent.

I agree...this way of accommodation is risky but it worked for me big time.

Being right on the route facing the ocean is ideal, girls were more than happy to exit the crowd and come take a breather....which led to some easy action. I won't ever forget swooping that visiting Pernumbucana out the pipoca at like 1am doing the deed, sending her in a cab and then following Carlinhos Browns trio electrio til sunrise.

Finally if you're a gringo that's white then the policia militar won't bother you as much. I can easily pass for a typical black Baiano and they don't differentiate I've been barreled over, pushed aside and jabbed in the ribcage with those tonfas they use to sweep through the hordes of people.....or to break up brawls.....which are countless that week.

But I love being in the muvuca of the pipoca regardless!!

Quote: (01-25-2018 10:10 PM)Titus Wrote:  

Quote: (01-25-2018 09:36 PM)Banna Wrote:  

It´s pretty much the same in Rio and in all other cities with "street carnival" (ouro preto, diamantina, porto seguro, olinda, etc).

Welcome to the biggest party on Earth! [Image: kissy.gif][Image: kissy.gif][Image: kissy.gif]

I try to tell these guys in my city to check it out but they're dead set in their ways and don't want to branch out culturally.

I am South American too but only geographically....culturally our country (Guyana) is more in common with the West Indies/Carribbean. And the majority of us head over to Trinidad & Tobago that time of year. Which many Carribbeans consider "The Greatest Show on Earth".

I find it laughable to draw any sort of comparison to any carnival in the West Indies vs what I experienced in Salvador. Those other ones with all due respect feel like child's play. The longest duration street carnival in the West Indies you can find is 2 days.......Whereas in Salvador its a marathon of 6 days and nights. I needed like a week after to rest up, lol. I consider Brazilian carnival like the Rose Bowl in Pasadena......the granddaddy of them all.

I'm open to other carnivals but I know from experience I'll never experience anything on that scale elsewhere.

Bahia.....O melhor carnaval do Mundo!

Quote: (01-25-2018 07:57 PM)Titus Wrote:  

Quote: (01-25-2018 03:33 PM)manly5000 Wrote:  

Hi dude, just for curiosity: Why are you going to spend the best Brazilian holiday in a city without any carnival tradition and that no one else goes?

Manaus itself is by far the easiest place in Brazil to get laid, you can get 1 new notch per day without any big effort, but it´s far, very far, of being a good carnival spot. Actually, local people try to get out to other spots, like Rio or Salvador, during this part of the year.

Their "carnival" is the Parintins Festival, a folklore party in late June that drags lots of tourists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parintins_...e_Festival

Mainly because I've wanted to go to Manaus and do an Amazon expedition for years now. Plus I have a thing for "off the beaten path" places for events like Carnaval so looking forward to seeing how the Sambodromo in Manaus compares to Rio! The reports of easy lays certainly doesn't hurt either... [Image: cool.gif]

Surprisingly big list of blocos there also, should be interesting!

You will hate Brazil carnival if:
- You are a germaphobe. You will be waking in literal piss and making out with girls that have kissed quite a few guys already
- You aren't ok making out with 16 and 17 year olds. Age of consent is 14, I'll draw the line at 16 though.
- You get attached to a female quickly. You'll go get a beer and when you return she's making out with another dude.
- You hate sweating profusely. Rio carnival can be as hot as 37 Celsius.

Very correct but this is valid for the whole year, in the Carnival it only exacerbates(a lot).

One information lacking in your data sheet is that girls out in the Carnival want SEX, stop kissing hundreds. Kissing is pointless in the Carnival.

Quote: (01-28-2018 02:07 PM)hipster Wrote:  

One information lacking in your data sheet is that girls out in the Carnival want SEX, stop kissing hundreds. Kissing is pointless in the Carnival.

I disagree. In street carnival (such as Rio or Salvador), girls want sex, but timing and logistics play major roles.

Girls won´t leave before she ended partying with her friends or to go to a place far from the party or far from where she is staying. If you ever went to any major city in Brazil during carnival, you know how logistics sucks, with lots of "blocos" happening at the same time, streets closed, thousands of people wandering in the streets, overcrowded public transportation, huge traffic jams, etc

So the best shot to get laid is kissing as many girls as possible, so that the odds of finding one eager to leave are higher.

I´d guess that more than 80% of the guys that go to a "bloco" will kiss dozens of girls, but won´t get laid... and believe me, it´s not because they didn´t tried hard to pull them, it´s only a matter of wrong timing and logistics.

Quote: (01-26-2018 10:14 PM)manly5000 Wrote:  

Mainly because I've wanted to go to Manaus and do an Amazon expedition for years now. Plus I have a thing for "off the beaten path" places for events like Carnaval so looking forward to seeing how the Sambodromo in Manaus compares to Rio! The reports of easy lays certainly doesn't hurt either... [Image: cool.gif]

Surprisingly big list of blocos there also, should be interesting!

Admire your courage. Good luck, bro!

I´m sure you´ll slay lots of local chicks. Look forward hearing your report!

Quote: (01-29-2018 12:00 AM)Titus Wrote:  

Quote: (01-28-2018 02:07 PM)hipster Wrote:  

I disagree. In street carnival (such as Rio or Salvador), girls want sex, but timing and logistics play major roles.

I don't go to street Carnival at all but i've been before, in Rio every time i go out to a party/club/pub at the Carnival official dates i bang someone and it could not be easier. But with those teens you probably won't get there. When it comes to blocos In Rio there are blocos like Bloco do Sargento Pimenta(very popular) or Bloco do Bar Bukowski where the average age is higher. Both are Rock oriented blocos but the audience is diverse, and that's all i know really. I hate Samba, Axé, Pagode and the likes.