rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Facebook adds Snapchat-like feature to WhatsApp

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/20/whatsapp-status/

"WhatsApp could put the brakes on Snapchat’s international growth with today’s launch of WhatsApp Status, a new tab for sharing decorated photos, videos and GIFs that disappear after 24 hours. It’s another Facebook-owned Snapchat Stories copycat, but the twist is that it’s end-to-end encrypted like WhatsApp messaging."

The newest Whatsapp update just came out and it is moving away from being a messaging app to a snapchat clone. They removed the "contacts" tab in favor of a "status" tab meant for snap chat style updates. If you want to use whatsapp to actually talk to people like it was originally meant for you have to use a search function to find an individual contact. The contact list tab has been removed. I tried downloading an older version but I couldn't get past the "inaccurate date and time" error. It is a real pain in the ass to use now, if you haven't updated yet don't. If someone out there knows a legit work around to share it would me much appreciated.

I used to love WhatsApp because of how great it was. It was a 50 man team running an app with millions of users, that shit is wild and impressive enough for me to use already. Everything was great, there was peace, and harmony in all of conversations with my friends.

Then FaceBook took it over. All of a sudden I couldn't even launch the app on my phone with out it crashing. When the crashing stopped, my messages wouldn't send out. I couldn't even use the app for it's purpose, messaging. Finally, when I thought that blackout was done, I couldn't receive messages. My friends would be trying to contact me as WhatsApp was the easiest way for them to do so, but the second checkmark would never happen..

I haven't used it since then and I'm glad I stopped.

The chat part seems the same though, looking at it now. There is still a contact list button, its just to the right of the search button. So really all they did was add the status part.

Come on, it's like Tinder moments used to be. If I was using online dating like most of you guys, I would use this to my advantage. Go to a bar, share a video of where you are, wait for the messages to come in, reel them in.

It's definitely fucking gay. The whole point of it was that it was a straight-up messaging app, now they fagged it up with facebook-style "Status" newsfeed social network bullshit.

Og all the things to make people look down on WhatsApp, its this?

WhatsApp and facebook have the ability to link your facebook account to other people (such as girls from tinder) by merely adding your phone number to your contacts if you have the facebook App or use your phone number to log into facebook.

No offence but I use whatsapp, and nothing has changed on my app.

Edit: I just noticed the part about it having to be updated. Eventually it will auto-update so I guess we should look for another app for foreign messages. I loved whatsapp because it uses very little data. Everybody around the world uses it. I even use it in the middle of nowhere towns across guatemala. Lets see how much more data it eats up after it updates. The above posts are right about it now going to become about attention #$#$ and fake "status". Anybody know of any alternatives to whatsapp?

I think Vibr is an alternative messenger but I don't have any experience with it yet.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

I use both Viber and Whatsapp. Still haven't updated whatsapp so I cannot say whats going on.

Nothing is going on, app works just like usual, plus added functions. Nothing was taken away, this thread is clickbait.

I updated whatsapp and from what I can gather, contacts tab disappeared and instead "status" tab with snapchat like function appeared instead.
Also, my contacts duplicated and whatsapp lists even those who don't have whatsapp which is irritating.

Just get the original messaging app, BBM and be done with it. No risk of exposing your phone number and it's available for both Android and IOS.

Mine didn't have the contacts button for a while.

It updated again some time today and the button reappeared.

All this shit seems to go in a direction so women can triangulate who else you are banging.

It's still private and one-on-one communication. But expanding the status function does increase the potential for girls' attention whoring and establishing social status among their peers rather than focusing on the app's main purpose, namely for me to fuck them.

I noticed this as well. Was wondering where my contacts disapeared.

Just noticed today. Whatsapp used to be way better back in the days - they are taking Snapchat direction, which isn't a good thing. Everyone knows that there are plugins to save those snapchats so them vanishing after 24 hours is bullshit.

Anyway, you shouldn't trust anything made / bought by Facebook. It's end to end encrypted, but I'm pretty sure that Facebook has a copy of the private keys somewhere and will gracefully hand them to government agencies who request them. Facebook used to be a honest social media site, but the US government has transformed it into a huge intelligence-gathering platform with 2 goals:
1) Making money
2) Gathering all private messages, posts, thoughts, and personal informations from users and put them in a database where the government can access the data

If you want real privacy, use Signal. Whatsapp isn't private anymore, and Facebook even suggests contacts that are on your Whatsapp - the best way for girls to know who you are banging.

tl;dr - Whatsapp is REALLY starting to look like it's owned by Facebook. I'll be looking for an alternative.

Early summary - a status can now be a still or moving image. You'll be using more data. Contacts list has moved. You can't open a profile pic with a single touch, as used to be the case. I don't see the text version of a contact's status anymore.

Agree with a couple of posters. WhatsApp used to be very handy and cheap, with a simple layout.
I updated yesterday. early impressions are that the owners want even more activity on the app. Girls especially with their naturally vacuous minds will be updating their status regularly.
My phone is a Xiaomi. I easily track my data usage from the notification shade, and it's gone up, due to opening a contact's picture/video update. Same will apply when you update your status. More data, People.

Quote:Quote:

you shouldn't trust anything made / bought by Facebook

From the wikipedia web page about the beginning of Facebook, a quote on Zuckerberg trying to steal password:

He examined a history of failed logins to see if any of the Crimson members have ever entered an incorrect password into TheFacebook.com. In the cases in which they had failed to log in, Mark tried to use them to access the Crimson members' Harvard email accounts, and he was successful in accessing two of them.

Use "Signal". It's simple and super secure.

Quote: (02-25-2017 02:59 PM)Akwesi Wrote:  

It's still private and one-on-one communication. But expanding the status function does increase the potential for girls' attention whoring and establishing social status among their peers rather than focusing on the app's main purpose, namely for me to fuck them.

Very important: WhatsApp now shows who has even LOOKED at your 24-hour status updates. So it's a new way to make you look thirsty if you're constantly checking on girls' updates. It's also a way to tell if girls who you've texted have actually added you to their contact list.

I looked at an update from a long-stale contact in South America who I never banged and a few minutes later she texted me for the first time in months, yet she wasn't into the conversation at all. Just a validation hit for her.

By the same token, I posted a short video status and got 5 views.
1 - from a current plate
4 - from stale contacts now in beta-comfort LTRs lolol

I wish more forum guys used Signal Messenger. It is much more private which will eventually be a concern for our group chats.

From http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2494534,00.asp

There are few apps that can claim an endorsement from Edward Snowden, but Signal Private Messenger is one of them. This Android app rolls secure text messaging and encrypted voice-over IP calls into a single package that works as a full-fledged SMS replacement app. It looks good, is easy to use, and will keep all your messages safe and secure. It's one of our Editors' Choice winners for Android secure messaging apps.

Signal Messenger works for both Android and iPhones.

Quote: (02-26-2017 12:20 PM)BootNootly Wrote:  

Very important: WhatsApp now shows who has even LOOKED at your 24-hour status updates. So it's a new way to make you look thirsty if you're constantly checking on girls' updates. It's also a way to tell if girls who you've texted have actually added you to their contact list.

I looked at an update from a long-stale contact in South America who I never banged and a few minutes later she texted me for the first time in months, yet she wasn't into the conversation at all. Just a validation hit for her.

1 - from a current plate

Do you think she'll stick get notified if you merely view her profile? There should be a privacy setting to turn it off.

Quote: (02-26-2017 01:08 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

Quote: (02-26-2017 12:20 PM)BootNootly Wrote:  

1 - from a current plate

Do you think she'll stick get notified if you merely view her profile? There should be a privacy setting to turn it off.

Roosh, viewing her avatar or profile status should not trigger a notification AFAIK. Just the 24-hour temporary status on the new Status tab.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-w...s-feature/

So it works in the same way as Snapchat, where you can see specifically who views a Snap.

I got burned by Snapchat and their Quick Add feature that scans your phone contact list. I clicked the X for a girl but it proceeded to add her. These apps force you to be neurotic with concealing your privacy.