rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hostel Data Sheet

Hostel Data Sheet

Typed this up to give aspiring travelers an idea of what to expect with hostels, as well as some tips I've learned from staying at probably 100 different hostels and working for 3 months at one.

What:
Hostels are a cheaper versions of hotels, typically aimed at backpackers. Although there are a few in larger cities in the US and Canada, they are much more common in other countries around world. Typically there will be a mix of dorms, ranging from 4 beds to 16 beds, and also private rooms. There will normally be a communal kitchen and social room as well.

Who you meet:
Your typical person staying at a hostels will be 18-30 years old. There is definitely a prototypical backpacker, and that's your long hair, heavily tattooed hippy type guys, and tattooed, slightly overweight, 5-6s for girls. Don't expect your average LA aspiring model to be staying at hostels, a lot of the girls you meet will be extremely average and sometimes a bit dirty from a lack of showers or not doing laundry. Good party hostels will also have more guys than girls, sometimes significantly so.

All this said, you'll also meet more than enough attractive women at hostels from all over the world. I've slept with women from Ukraine, Germany, Norway, Denmark, Malta, Argentina and Chile along with god knows how many Americans, Brits, Canadians and Aussies. To help your odds, a lot of the guys at hostels will be pretty beta or have terrible game. There are a few people that sleep with the majority of backpackers, and you'll know them when you see them. Your biggest competition will be the hostel staff, which will make you feel like you are competing with Leo DiCaprio sometimes, because they are basically celebrities. On that note...

Working at hostels:
There probably aren't many jobs in the world that allow you the opportunity to sleep with as many women as you will get if you work at a party hostel. Depending on the hostel, you'll be required to work between 2 weeks and 3 months. Expect to work either for free or less than $50/week, but you'll get free accommodation, possibly food, laundry and bar discounts as well. If you are spending too much money on a long vacation, this is a good way to stall the expenditures for a few weeks. Double check with other staff members on the rules though, some hostels prohibit staff from sleeping with guests. On the other end, the one I worked at allowed 30 minute "sex breaks," because a guest getting laid is a happy guest.

What to look for:
When I book a hostel, the first thing I search for in google is "party hostel (city)." Then you will want to check ratings on Hostelworld. Typically you'll be looking for 85% or better, and ideally with quite a few reviews, >250. At the end of this I'll include a list of my favorite ones from around the world. A lot of the best party hostels have public bars. They will also set up drinking games or pub crawls around the city. If getting laid is a priority, you may have to sacrifice some comforts. My main priorities when choosing a hostel are 1. Fun 2. Location 3. Cleanliness. More on this below, but I would rather stay at the best hostel in a dorm than a mediocre hostel with a private room. On Hostelworld "fun" isn't a rating category, but "atmosphere" will likely correlate quite well.

Hostel conversations:
Backpackers are a open, social bunch so you can basically walk up to anyone to talk or sit at any table with other people. It's lame, and its repetitive, but it's easy... basically all conversations in hostels start in this manner: Where are you from? How long are you traveling? Where have you been/are you going? If you can't keep that conversation going from there, you haven't travelled enough or you need to work on your conversational abilities because once you have the answers to those questions that's ammo for a bunch of conversations. Alternatively you can be the rare one that doesn't follow this train of questions, but she'll probably take it there anyway.

Logistics:
You need good logistics to get laid at a hostel. I'll do my best to address as many issues as possible.

Security:
Your first barrier to entry will be getting the girl into the hostel. Obviously if she is staying there, this isn't an issue. Some hostels may not be too strict due to a lack of night security, but that is more common in smaller hostels, not the big party hostels. Wristbands are the most common way they confirm whether you are a guest or not. I'll intentionally "lose" my wristband the 1st or 2nd day, while actually just pulling it off and putting it in my wallet. Then when going back with a girl, you can put it on her. You can do this with slide cards as well, but you may have to pay a $5 deposit or something, not the end of the world.

Where to get it in:
How adventurous are you? The one thing with hostel sex is it isn't always the most comfortable sex. The shower is probably the best option if you are in a dorm room. The dorm is the next option. Always take a bottom bunk, that way you can hang the sheet up like a screen. I've also seen everything from the luggage room, to behind curtains and reception, to out door patios.

Pro-tip- If you can afford it, private rooms are the way to go. They normally cost about 2-3x as much, but you'll increase your chances so much. If I'm in a private and I'm making progress with a girl, I'll drop that in conversation early on just to plant the seed. I met an Aussie girl at a hostel last week and she wanted to go back to my room about 20 minutes after meeting her, and 2 minutes after I told her I had the matrimonial suite. Security may also be more lax on a private if you haven't managed to secure an extra wristband because they are normally meant for 2 people.

Another tip is to keep a bottle of alcohol in your room. There is a line that has gotten my laid more times than I can count "I have a bottle in my room, let's go take a shot." If she agrees, I normally close about 2/3 times. If it's early enough in the night, you'll also likely come back to an empty dorm room. If you can bring alcohol in, you can buy a 12 pack of beer and give em out to the other guests. Doesn't set you back much and all of a sudden everyone likes you and wants to chat, and you'll get enough reciprocal drinks to make it worth it.

Drinking game tip- Ring of Fire/ Kings Cup/ Circle of Death is a good one for a big group at hostel. Make sure you are in charge of the rules. Make one of the cards- I use the 10- never have I ever. If you get the chance to say one, use "never have I ever had sex at a hostel." I've changed my targets after that before because the one I thought was quiet and shy put a finger down. Slept with her an hour or two or so later in the shower. Not that you can't be the first to accomplish this for them, but if they've done it before they'll do it again.

When backpacking, or in life in general, have a god damn condom with you at all times. I don't care if you are going for coffee at 9am, have one. Every time I hear about a guy who brought a girl back to a hostel and didn't close because he didn't have a condom I went to punch him in the ribs.

If you reach the end of the night with no luck at the bars, it never hurts to sit in the common area and check your phone or have a beer. People will slowly come trickling in and sometimes you can grab an end of the night desperation lay. I've seen that and heard stories about that more than enough times to assure you it's worth it.

One final thing with party hostels:
You don't necessarily have to be staying at the hostel to go the bar. If you decide to do the airbnb or hotel route, the hostels with public bars can be an amazing place to pick up. Similar to how you can slyly mention you have a private, it works well to mention you have an airbnb nearby. What girl wants to sleep in a 16 bed dorm when you can share a queen bed with you and get laid as a bonus.

My favorite party hostels for getting laid:

Retox - Budapest
The shenanigans here is off the charts. Pub crawls or boat parties every night. Drink you way out of the room- which the one I did consisted of an entire room of topless girls, while one was getting fucked while blowing someone else, and another couple fucking next to them. Had a 3 in one day hat trick there. I think I was 4/6 overall, but after the 3rd day I stuck with one for the rest of the time.

Loki- Cusco, among other locations
Drinking games every night. Tons of Peruvian gringo hunters. I was 5/6 there and incredibly closed to 7/6.

Madhouse, Prague
Great social hostel, designed to allow guests to interact and party. Group dinners. Nightly pub crawls. A black painted hangover room for recovery. Sex themed room names. Only closed 1/4 there,

Greg and Toms Party Hostel- Krakow
Nightly parties or pub crawls. Group dinners. A staff of women that all consistently sleep with guests. They even let you check out a few hours late for a small fee if you are too hungover to get out of bed.

Pink Palace- Corfu, Greece
Probably one of the most historical Poosey Paradises of the 90s, when over 1000 guests would be there and everyone leaving wth at least one conquest, if not public blowjobs on the bar or sex on the booze cruise. Unfortunately due to cancellation of trains and declining Greek tourism it's a fraction of what it was. But even then, you won't find many places better for June and July. If you have pretty good game, expect something close to a lay a day there.

Rising Cock- Lagos, Portugal
The name implies what to expect, fun, sexually based hostel. Pub crawls nightly, byob outdoor patio with drinking games. Twice a week booze cruises. I was 2/4 there but a third was promised if I hadn't had to catch a bus right after the booze cruise.

Naked Tiger- San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Fun times at the pool, Sunday Funday's are absolute madness, and the city overall is just the right vibe for pulling. Strict security at night cock blocked a lot of people. 4/6 overall.

Hostel Data Sheet

Nice sheet. Would be awesome if you could list some more hostels you liked, as I am sure you have been staying at plenty of hostels

Hostel Data Sheet

Repped for this awesome information, most of which I didn't know.

Can you give us some more information on how the process of getting a job for free accommodation and food works at some of these hostels?

Have you used a Hostel in Reykjavik and if so would you mind sharing?

When you do get a hostel job, what do the hours look like? I would imagine it would kind of suck to have to work the shift every night when people are normally out at bars/clubs.

If you get employment at a hostel, do you have to speak the native language or is English enough?

Answers to those questions would be greatly appreciated as chances are if I can get a good deal at a hostel in a city I'm interested in I might take a trip this summer, or else I'll end up waiting a year or so.

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-21-2017 02:20 PM)StackGsMan Wrote:  

Can you give us some more information on how the process of getting a job for free accommodation and food works at some of these hostels?

When you do get a hostel job, what do the hours look like? I would imagine it would kind of suck to have to work the shift every night when people are normally out at bars/clubs.

If you get employment at a hostel, do you have to speak the native language or is English enough?

Answers to those questions would be greatly appreciated as chances are if I can get a good deal at a hostel in a city I'm interested in I might take a trip this summer, or else I'll end up waiting a year or so.

You can use websites such as helpx or workaway. They will tell you exactly what they are looking for in terms of hours, benefits, and language requirements.

Another option is to just walk into hostels and ask if they need help, most are very used to this type of arrangement.

Don't forget to make this worth your while though. In my opinion saving $10 a day isn't worth working for 5 hours, especially if you are going to have to stay in the hostel on a Friday or Saturday night. Make sure to confirm hours and such.

Hostel Data Sheet

How long at a time do you usually stay in a hostel? Just a few days or long term? I could see myself staying in a hostel for a few nights but would want a kitchen at some point.

Great sheet too!

Hostel Data Sheet

Great data sheet.

Do you normally get paid under the table in cash or just stay for free while working? I know some countries have strict labor laws for people on tourist visas.

Hostel Data Sheet

If you are down with making no money but having access to DTF chicks then working in a hostel is a good thing, I've seen lots of very average guys working in hostels clean up without even trying too hard.

Hostel Data Sheet

Thanks for this! My first hostel gig starts tomorrow, hoping to collect some flags. Unfortunately I'll be in a shared room but I don't mind getting creative with it [Image: wink.gif]

Hostel Data Sheet

I hate staying in hostels but I'll stay at one for 1 or 2 days to get to know the people working there.

Something that has worked for me many times (including last weekend) is having a private room or apartment near a party hostel or near the night-life district that the hostel goes crowd goes to.

Casually mention to girls that you aren't staying at the hostel. A lot of the girls want to get banged but don't want to do it in a dorm room.

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-21-2017 02:57 PM)Spidey Wrote:  

You can use websites such as helpx or workaway. They will tell you exactly what they are looking for in terms of hours, benefits, and language requirements.

Another option is to just walk into hostels and ask if they need help, most are very used to this type of arrangement.

Don't forget to make this worth your while though. In my opinion saving $10 a day isn't worth working for 5 hours, especially if you are going to have to stay in the hostel on a Friday or Saturday night. Make sure to confirm hours and such.

Thanks for the great advice. Today was my first exposure to working in a hostel as even being a possibility, and your info helped a lot. I am going to look into what you recommended for the destinations I am interested in. I am not currently working, so if I find something that fits what I am looking for I'd definitely take up the offer for June and July.

Hostel Data Sheet

For second-tier or third-tier cities, do you recommend staying in a hostel or finding a similarly priced airbnb? Generally how full are hostels in second-tier and third-tier cities?

Hostel Data Sheet

The process for getting a job basically consists of asking and talking to current employees. It's a pretty high turnover position so they are normally looking, especially if you come staff recommended.

English was enough at my hostel in Greece but it's dependent on where you are and the demographics of the Hostel for sure.

Hours are dependent on the Hostel as well. I worked basically all night every night but sex breaks made it alright. The guys I met at loki alternate between day shifts and night shifts.

Reykjavík can't help, I stayed at an airbnb. There's a hostel with a rooftop bar that does a good pub crawl though.

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-22-2017 02:13 AM)DigitalNomad Wrote:  

The process for getting a job basically consists of asking and talking to current employees. It's a pretty high turnover position so they are normally looking, especially if you come staff recommended.

English was enough at my hostel in Greece but it's dependent on where you are and the demographics of the Hostel for sure.

Hours are dependent on the Hostel as well. I worked basically all night every night but sex breaks made it alright. The guys I met at loki alternate between day shifts and night shifts.

Reykjavík can't help, I stayed at an airbnb. There's a hostel with a rooftop bar that does a good pub crawl though.

Great info, thanks. Today was the first day I ever gave the Greek Islands any serious thought even though a friend of mine is Greek and always talks about them. I've been reading all day and it looks like I might just have to take a trip to the Pink Palace in Corfu in June or July. I wouldn't want to work through the night though, so I might just pay ($20 a night isn't bad).

I don't mean to derail this thread, but can you give some details on your time in Corfu? I'm having a little trouble deciding which of the islands to go to, but so far Corfu looks like it has it all.

Hostel Data Sheet

Solid data sheet. I'm mostly moving to apartments or hotels when i am with a girl while travelling but 25% of the time stay in a hostel. Some great memories with girls from all over the world with my accent especially catching the attention. Always stayed in private room solo. Any time a girl has heard about the private room and shower it's a done deal.

Had no problems with bringing girls back in some hostels and the only issue I've come across is staff wanting a fee for bringing a girl back but its minimal £5-20 which is easily dealt with.

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-22-2017 12:56 AM)Agrippa Wrote:  

For second-tier or third-tier cities, do you recommend staying in a hostel or finding a similarly priced airbnb? Generally how full are hostels in second-tier and third-tier cities?

Generally I stay at hostels if I can. Some of the best ones can be in 2nd and 3rd tier cities as long as they are on the tourist circuit. Small cities might only have one or two, but more full since the options are limited. For me, a private at a hostel just opens up a few more doors, and if there is no talent you can proceed as usual with locals

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-21-2017 11:16 PM)QuitoBandito Wrote:  

Thanks for this! My first hostel gig starts tomorrow, hoping to collect some flags. Unfortunately I'll be in a shared room but I don't mind getting creative with it [Image: wink.gif]
The one I worked at I remember times when 4/5 of us in my room were all in bed with girls. Depends on your coworkers, but I'd imagine if they work at a hostel they will be pretty open minded

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-21-2017 02:57 PM)Spidey Wrote:  

The one I worked at was working from 11-12, then 6-3am or so, 7 days a week. We got all meals covered, housing, and 50 euros a week, as well as drinks discounted to 1 euro. That said, by "working," 10pm on was just getting wasted and fucking, and occasionally making a lap to pick up empty glasses or sweep up a broken glass. The weekends working there were actually the best and busiest times. Definitely depends on your job though, I sure wouldn't want to be working reception or something like that .

Hostel Data Sheet

Here's likely one of the top three pieces of advice anyone has ever given me.

My first time in a hostel, I had just arrived and was wondering about the dynamics of hooking up while a room full of other travelers sleep all around you. A Scot I had been hanging out with told me he banged a Colorado girl the night before in his room.

I said, "Where did you do it? In the bathroom?"

He says, "Naw man, in the damn bed with everyone else in the room listening."

I was like, "That rocks. That's some ballsy shit."

He said, "It's like this, mate... Do you want to be polite or do you want to get laid?"

That night I hooked up with a drunk girl in the bed next to me with everyone else still in the room, and I've never had any shame about it since.

Hostel Data Sheet

I would be eternally grateful if someone came up with an algorithm how to avoid hostels densely occupied by obnoxious Australians.

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-22-2017 01:10 PM)BrewDog Wrote:  

Here's likely one of the top three pieces of advice anyone has ever given me.

My first time in a hostel, I had just arrived and was wondering about the dynamics of hooking up while a room full of other travelers sleep all around you. A Scot I had been hanging out with told me he banged a Colorado girl the night before in his room.

I said, "Where did you do it? In the bathroom?"

He says, "Naw man, in the damn bed with everyone else in the room listening."

I was like, "That rocks. That's some ballsy shit."

He said, "It's like this, mate... Do you want to be polite or do you want to get laid?"

That night I hooked up with a drunk girl in the bed next to me with everyone else still in the room, and I've never had any shame about it since.

I like hostels and I have seen the potential to hookup, I just have to ask, if you have the money, why bang on the dorm instead of getting your own room? seriously why would you even have sex in the dorm instead of at least using the bathroom? I don't think i'm a picky guy, but come on... I think the sex would be hotter without having to do it in the darkness and with the girl trying to not moan.

Also I don't know if it is just me, but I don't feel completely comfortable sleeping around a bunch of strangers I don't know. I guess a room it can be more expensive, but probably not a lot more than a private apartment. Still I don't know if being on the same room actually gives you an advantage of having an excuse to be around instead of the social zones.

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-22-2017 06:31 PM)Bycicleguy Wrote:  

I like hostels and I have seen the potential to hookup, I just have to ask, if you have the money, why bang on the dorm instead of getting your own room? seriously why would you even have sex in the dorm instead of at least using the bathroom? I don't think i'm a picky guy, but come on... I think the sex would be hotter without having to do it in the darkness and with the girl trying to not moan.

Also I don't know if it is just me, but I don't feel completely comfortable sleeping about a bunch of strangers I don't know. I guess a room it can be more expensive, but probably not a lot more than a private apartment. Still I don't know if being on the same room actually gives you an advantage of having an excuse to be around instead of the social zones.

It's very easy to meet girls at hostels. Especially in the same room. You wake up to find 4 girls in your room that you don't know, and after chit-chat for 5 minutes they'll invite you to do stuff. And then drinky drink later and then bangy bang.

If it's a group of girls from the same city that all know each other, then it makes it a bit cumbersome, because they don't wanna seem whoreish in front of a bunch of girls they will still have to see back home. But the random single traveler chick or some girls that just all met on the road... that's a good recipe for a hookup.

And if I ever get a prior notion that something is going to happen with me and some girl, I do go switch out to a private room.

Hostel Data Sheet

Quote: (02-22-2017 05:42 PM)Merengues Wrote:  

I would be eternally grateful if someone came up with an algorithm how to avoid hostels densely occupied by obnoxious Australians.

Lonely Planet confirms that this is impossible.

Hostel Data Sheet

Hey Digital, can you give some details about your time in Corfu? I've done some research and Pink Palace is on the central Western portion of the island, but I've read that different Europeans tend to congregate in different parts of the island (Scandinavians in Corfu town, British in Kavos, etc.).

Is it easy to get around the Island and get access to the other parts?

Also how good would you say the lay rate is if one is to spend a decent amount of time at the Pink Palace, but not participating in any activities that have to be paid for?

I am heavily considering going for either one or two months this summer to the Greek isles and I'm trying to see where would best satisfy my goals in going, which are primarily to get flags and secondarily to get notches. Oh, and also to see the beauty of that part of the world XD

Hostel Data Sheet

Sounds about right.

I worked at a couple of hostels throughout Europe in my early twenties. It's quite literally like shooting fish in a barrel, you have a revolving door of women coming and going who are generally there to get drunk, party then leave after a couple of days and since you're working there, know the city/language and best places to visit you automatically have a lot more social capital.

That being said over time I found myself seeking out local's more and more. These days I don't think i'd feel too comfortable in hostels, especially party ones. But god damn it was fun when I did.

I can second Retox, that place is on another level. It's too much for me, I mean I get that it's a party hostel but jesus christ.

Hostel Data Sheet

The Panama hostel lunas castle is a really good party hostel, The club/bar is downstairs, don't expect sleep on the weekends....This video was filmed while I was there it really capture my experience in Panama

Quote: (01-06-2015 04:37 AM)Kingsley Davis Wrote:  
You can bring broads to logic but you can't force them to think.