rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

People asking you to watch their shit

One of my biggest pet peeves is when I'm in a coworking space and some random person asks me to watch his or her computer, their bag, or any of their shit while they go do whatever for an indeterminate period of time.

This to me is symptomatic of the bitch ass culture of victims we have now.

Ask another person to take responsibility for your possessions, your rights, your obligations, your family, your success, your health, your government, your safety.

Because you don't have the balls or brains to take matters into your own hands.

So when I have to step outside to make a sales call and somebody jacks your laptop, it's now my fault right?

Fuck that.

I tell people who ask me - and I practice what I preach - that if you're worried about somebody taking your possessions while you're gone, take your possessions with you.

And I look them dead in the eye and we can start some shit if they don't like it.

I'm sick of these weakling men pouting like girls when I say no to babysitting their belongings.

Take responsibility and stop expecting others to take it for you.

[Image: original.gif]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

I bet you freak out when people park in front of your house too.

Tell them you're a kleptomanic

This is the male equivalent of a fat girl complaining about how so many guys are creepy and hitting on her. Tone down the outrage a couple of notches.

Vincent, I think you need a some of these, next to you where you work:

[Image: main-qimg-96f71551c2a986d319e5a081f24721..._webp=true]

[Image: vacations-travel-airline-travelers-trave...82_low.jpg]

[Image: 817-88866.jpg]

[Image: poster-theft.png?t=1411573836-171986]

[Image: 66241074.jpg]

[Image: 45721516.jpg]

So watch the damn bag/computer/whatever. It's not like it's really costing you anything. If someone does that to me and I have to leave I just leave. Really how often does this even happen? I could say maybe once a year, if that.

No, what really annoys me is when people don't use turn signals, drive in the rain/dark without their headlights or under the speed limit, or fuck up a parallel parking job so bad that my car won't fit. People drive for shit.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

If you're going to be there anyway, what's the harm. Like Gmac said, if you gotta leave, you gotta leave. I would tell them just like that!!

"I'll watch your shit but if you're not back and I have to leave, you're on your own".

Quote: (01-04-2017 04:56 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

I don't have a house.

And I drive a scooter.

So no. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Quote: (01-04-2017 06:35 AM)n0000 Wrote:  

This is the male equivalent of a fat girl complaining about how so many guys are creepy and hitting on her. Tone down the outrage a couple of notches.

Buddy I know you're trying to sound cool but you and I both know that it's a spurious comparison.

Come on... [Image: smile.gif]

A fat girl *wants* dudes to hit on her and feigns outrage for attention.

I do *not* want to watch strangers' belongings and I'm annoyed at being asked to do so on a regular basis.

Am I complaining? Sure.

Does it get me attention? Yes, incidentally. This is a F.O.R.U.M.

What you missed is the fact that it's also relevant social commentary indicating a widespread abnegation of any and all personal responsibility.

And the frat girls you reference, unaware of the irony, are the ones who love to cry rape about a drunken hookup.

They represent one of the more egregious symptoms of the exact same root cause:

Shirking responsibility for your actions, your property and your life and throwing them onto others.

Capisce?

Quote: (01-04-2017 07:55 AM)Gmac Wrote:  

So watch the damn bag/computer/whatever. It's not like it's really costing you anything. If someone does that to me and I have to leave I just leave. Really how often does this even happen? I could say maybe once a year, if that.

No, what really annoys me is when people don't use turn signals, drive in the rain/dark without their headlights or under the speed limit, or fuck up a parallel parking job so bad that my car won't fit. People drive for shit.

Haha those are all legit beefs.

Nah it happens weekly, I have an online business and work from cafes and coworking spaces every single day.

To your other point, I disagree that it doesn't cost you anything.

You may feel fine walking away when you've given your word to watch somebody's things but if I agree to watch your things I'm staying put until you get back.

Well, maybe you have to take a wicked shit and you'll be in there for an hour.

Or maybe you run into a friend and start catching up and lose track of time?

Meanwhile I'm waiting around like a jackass while I have other things to do.

A courteous person would quietly take the minute or so necessary to fold their computer into their bag, and take their belongings with them.

I don't even understand how people can not feel utterly embarrassed to make an imposition like this on a stranger.

From AtlasSociety:

Quote:Quote:

Principles give us a practical grasp of the fundamental facts in a given situation. Of course, principles are harder to apply. Since they represent knowledge, we have to think in order to apply our principles to the circumstances at hand. This is as true of principles of engineering or chemistry as it is of principles of morality. But properly applied, our principles allow us to act on our full grasp of relevant facts. When we act on principle, with integrity, we act not on the incentives of the moment, but on our full understanding of long-term expediency. Recognizing this enhances our sense of being in control of our lives, and of being able to succeed in our aims, which augments our self-esteem. When we make a habit of acting on sound principles, we incorporate our moral orientation toward happiness into our own characters. Thus it is by thinking in principles, and consistently acting on that understanding, that one becomes a person of principle.

Do you have a house? Do you have any idea how infuriating it is when someone blocks your driveway and you cannot even pull your own car out of your garage?

It's bad enough to make me want to keep a bulldozer parked in the yard with a sign (in English and Spanish) on it that says, if you block my driveway, your vehicle will be moved.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Quote: (01-04-2017 09:16 AM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Do you have a house? Do you have any idea how infuriating it is when someone blocks your driveway and you cannot even pull your own car out of your garage?

It's bad enough to make me want to keep a bulldozer parked in the yard with a sign (in English and Spanish) on it that says, if you block my driveway, your vehicle will be moved.

[Image: $_35.JPG]

Close enough. Sadly my "curb" runs 300 meters and my driveway exits in three places so unless someone holds a country music festival next door then I wont have a chance to try it out. [Image: undecided.gif]

Anyway TK, I though you'd just be all like...

The public will judge a man by what he lifts, but those close to him will judge him by what he carries.

Wasn't this topic once addressed in a Seinfeld episode? I can't remember what the result was.

I only read the OP, and this is at a coworking space?

What if I need to go to the bathroom? I'm supposed to pack all my shit up and put it all into my backpack, go to the toilet, then come back 5 minutes later, and unpack everything again, is that what you're saying?

Bro, I think you've got some kind of bug up your ass. It's not a big deal nor is it something to get bent out of shape over.

I'll be happy to watch someone's shit as long as they come back within a reasonable amount of time.

By the way, 2000th post!

I get this a lot too.

I've made it a habit to respond with: "I'm about to leave "
or the sarcastic, "That's too much responsibility for me"

problem solved.

two scoops
two genders
two terms

Lighten up, Francis.

"I'm going to be getting up soon, so someone else would be a better choice."

Quote: (01-04-2017 08:44 AM)VincentVinturi Wrote:  

Haha those are all legit beefs.

Nah it happens weekly, I have an online business and work from cafes and coworking spaces every single day.

To your other point, I disagree that it doesn't cost you anything.

You may feel fine walking away when you've given your word to watch somebody's things but if I agree to watch your things I'm staying put until you get back.

Well, maybe you have to take a wicked shit and you'll be in there for an hour.

Or maybe you run into a friend and start catching up and lose track of time?

Meanwhile I'm waiting around like a jackass while I have other things to do.

A courteous person would quietly take the minute or so necessary to fold their computer into their bag, and take their belongings with them.

I don't even understand how people can not feel utterly embarrassed to make an imposition like this on a stranger.

Then my advice is to say "No, sorry I can't watch your stuff." That's not so hard now is it?

Me, I don't care. I'll walk away. I don't owe a stranger my "word" but then again I probably wouldn't agree to begin with. Give a "false-time constraint." [Image: lol.gif]

Or course if it's a cute girl, you can always just tell her you can't be trusted to watch her things.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

I've had the same problem. These people always take way longer than you would expect if they were just going to the bathroom or buying a coffee. And the minute they ask me, I feel the desire to go to the bathroom myself, go somewhere else, etc. and I can't. It's torture.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

This us usually preceded with a question - "are going to remain here for the next xx minutes?" Then if you answer with a yes, it fallows with "Watch my staff then, please?"

I always answer no to this first question because I know what is going to follow.

It's not that I don't want to help but by Murphy's law almost every time I think I will be staying in one place for a certain amount of time - circumstances change and I have to leave earlier then expected. Often I realize I have to go to the same place the person asking to watch over stuff is going, too.

Quote: (01-04-2017 09:59 AM)CleanSlate Wrote:  

What if I need to go to the bathroom? I'm supposed to pack all my shit up and put it all into my backpack, go to the toilet, then come back 5 minutes later, and unpack everything again, is that what you're saying?

You're free to do whatever you want.

You can even leave your things where they are, which is what I usually do.

If you're not comfortable with that, then by all means pack them up real quick, do your business and return.

Is *that* a big deal for YOU?

I mean it takes a minute tops.

If you don't want to pack up your things because it's a bother for you, that's your business.

But I don't see why it should be another's.

It's inconvenient I know, and god forbid you are inconvenienced a little whilst working from a laptop halfway across the world on this marvel of an invention called the internet sipping coffee that was picked by an Ethiopian who earns $1 a day...

BUT it sounds like you are the one getting bent out of shape because I'm unwilling to accept the proposition that it makes somebody a jerkoff if they don't blindly agree to take on your responsibility.

In other words, you feel entitled to take a leak and have another person look after your things while you're gone simply because it's inconvenient for you.

I'm not saying you can't ask somebody but I reject this expectation that they should do it or that if they decline they're somehow dirtbags.

Also, it's a bit familiar.

Bro, I think you've got some kind of bug up your ass. It's not a big deal nor is it something to get bent out of shape over.

So I've got a bug up my ass because you don't want to be inconvenienced with the onerous task of looking after your own possessions?

Maybe it's not a big deal to you because you think I'm talking about watching some dude's laptop.

Extract the principle from this pedestrian scenario.

And ask yourself whether it isn't indicative of the general trend of our society to dump responsibility on others.

It's simply a matter of degree.

Asking people to watching your things is on the far left of the spectrum while asking others to subsidize your entire life via at-gunpoint government taxation is on the far right.

They seem so far removed from each other yet they both originate from the same premise.

Further, consider this:

Private property is sacred.

Because your property is something that you've earned through your toil.

I feel a deep uneasiness to be asked to care for a stranger's property.

If something should happen to it, even through no fault of my own, I will still be responsible because I gave my word.

I will have been responsible for the theft or damage of something that I hold sacred.

What do communist regimes do when the come into power?

They take your property.

I'll be happy to watch someone's shit as long as they come back within a reasonable amount of time.

That's great but because you're happy to watch someone's shit doesn't mean another person is happy to watch your shit.

And how by the way do you define "reasonable amount of time"?

According to whom?

The person who is gone is much more inclined to believe that the duration of time they were gone was "reasonable" than the person watching their things with places to go.

That touches on yet another point which is that other peoples' time is valuable.

And watching your stuff is a responsibility.

There's a reason security guards get paid a salary.

Congrats on your 1000th post. [Image: smile.gif]

I mean, they're only asking for you to watch their laptop while you take a piss. They're not asking for you to grab the yoke and do a carrier landing at night.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

How about if you were in a platoon at the Battle of the Bulge? "Covering fire!" "Pfft, cover your own fire..." XD

Lighten up man, the fact that somebody asked you to watch their Chem 101 book while they go down the hall to grab a Snickers bar from the vending machine isn't symptomatic of any culture except the one where people in your community are friendly and not totally narcissistic.

I agree with OP.

For me, the dislike stems from the way in which some strangers practically expect you to babysit their shit. The entitlement is strong.

But I don't take it personally. I usually just say I'm leaving and then continue to do my thing.

Quote: (01-04-2017 11:23 AM)Space Cowboy Wrote:  

I mean, they're only asking for you to watch their laptop while you take a piss.

You're only seeing from your side.

I agree that they're "only" going to take a piss.

So if you're ONLY going to take a piss, take your laptop with you real quick.

It's as inconvenient for somebody who doesn't watch your things as it is for you take your laptop with you.[/quote]

They're not asking for you to grab the yoke and do a carrier landing at night.

I wouldn't so much mind that.

Doing things for your brothers, who have earned that title, and under danger circumstances is amazingly rewarding.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

What has a stranger done to deserve your love?

And if you can give it to a stranger just like that is it even worth anything?

I'm all for politeness but quoting song lyrics is hardly a refutation of a point.

How about if you were in a platoon at the Battle of the Bulge? "Covering fire!" "Pfft, cover your own fire..." XD

Haha bro are you really making such a silly comparison?

Lighten up man, the fact that somebody asked you to watch their Chem 101 book while they go down the hall to grab a Snickers bar from the vending machine isn't symptomatic of any culture except the one where people in your community are friendly and not totally narcissistic.

Dude I'm perfectly light.

And I reject the implicit accusation that I'm somehow uptight because I don't agree with the prevailing notion on this issue.

Second, you're conflating friendliness and absence of narcissism with a refusal to accept responsibility for random strangers.

I'm perfectly friendly about it, it's in fact usually the guy who asks me to watch his stuff who cops an attitude when I politely decline.

The very fact that this post is pushing peoples' buttons confirms to me that I'm onto something haha

VV I disagree with everything you said. You're not taking responsibility for their stuff if they ask you to watch it. It's not like you're signing a legal document saying that you'll take responsibility for their shit for a set period of time.

Speaking of which, how long does it take to get a coffee or go to the bathroom? 5 minutes, tops? That's a reasonable amount of time, and yes, that's according to myself. If I have to leave and the person hasn't yet come back, I just leave. Too bad.

As for whose getting bent out of shape, you're the one who started this thread and wrote a novel to my response (and others). Again, it's no biggie so I'll just agree to disagree.

P.S. it's 2000 posts, not 1000. [Image: wink.gif] Ok, now 2001st...

For a while I was using the city library everyday to work on programming projects on my laptop. One day a middle eastern looking homeless dude complete with long beard and white taqiyah cap asked my to watch his backpack while he went to the bathroom. I didn't think much of it and agreed, but after about 10 minutes had passed and he hadn't come back I started getting legit concerned that it might be a bomb. I was actually contemplating calling security for a few minutes there before he finally returned.

I think it is fine to ask someone to watch your stuff for you, but you gotta be quick about it. Taking longer than about 5 minutes is just rude and bad etiquette. Also, ever since that middle eastern incident I always have these thoughts of terrorism in the back of my mind which makes me somewhat hesitant now.

George: "I hate it when people ask me to watch their stuff. Why should I watch their stuff? It's THEIR stuff. I'm doing important work!"

Jerry: "So a little human decency is too much for you? You can't watch someone's phone for even five minutes?"

George: "Five minutes, five minutes! How do you know? They could go outside and get hit by a bus. Suddenly, I'm in charge of their phone until they leave the hospital. That could be weeks! Now I'm carrying the phone around, charging it, answering messages, it's endless Jerry, endless!"