rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How can we use plastic economically?

Hey Guys,

So I was going through my News Feed this morning and I saw this video

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/vid...343862774/

One statement is:"By 2050 there could be more plastic in the ocean than fish"

Coming from an eastern european country where people don´t think that much about sustainability etc. I can only agree on this statement. The streets in the city where I am born are full with plastic bottles and plastic bags and so on.

So now my question, is there really no process, no solution, no concept to use plastic economically? I found pages like the following:

http://www.boredpanda.com/plastic-bottle...ing-ideas/

But this seems to me too hipster and not that suitable for daily use.

I also know, if someone already would have a solution to this than he probably would sit with a mexican chic on his lap and a beer in his hand and would not give a single fuck about this forum. But ja, I am excited to hear your thoughts about that.

We use it for as little products as possible best only for some durable goods that get re-used. You can even make petrol out of plastic again.

For most current uses like water bottles, cars etc. you can have 2 super-green alternatives:

1) Hemp:

Look how fucking durable that is. No plastic is as good as that. That was probably an even bigger reason to restrict hemp (also as medicine it is far better than it seems).

2) Banana peels:

[Image: download-1.jpg]

Perfect for water bottles.

There are probably some other truly bio-friendly materials. But hey - better buy it all from the globalists who then later accuse you everyone of polluting the earth. Meanwhile they deliberately block the better alternatives. That is called blame the victim in parlance.

We could go back to glass bottles which would suit me fine as long as they're lead free. Booze bottles are already glass so why not just go back to it for soda, milk and juice?

Quote: (12-07-2016 01:25 PM)GrapeApe Wrote:  

We could go back to glass bottles which would suit me fine as long as they're lead free. Booze bottles are already glass so why not just go back to it for soda, milk and juice?

Because of weight. Shipping stuff is expensive. If you go back to glass more of your shipping costs is moving the container that holds the product, than the product itself.

Quote: (12-07-2016 01:59 PM)Hell_Is_Like_Newark Wrote:  

Because of weight. Shipping stuff is expensive. If you go back to glass more of your shipping costs is moving the container that holds the product, than the product itself.

Maybe aluminium then? I know I prefer soda from a fountain and beer from glass but not sure how it'd work with milk or water from aluminium.

Quote: (12-07-2016 02:22 PM)GrapeApe Wrote:  

Quote: (12-07-2016 01:59 PM)Hell_Is_Like_Newark Wrote:  

Maybe aluminium then? I know I prefer soda from a fountain and beer from glass but not sure how it'd work with milk or water from aluminium.

Cost. Refining of aluminum from bauxite is extremely energy intensive (electricity). Thermoplastics are easy to make, easy to dispose of, durable, and made from a readily available chemical stock (natural gas, oil).

The video below is a presentation to Waste Management and covers the world of plastic (WM sells recycled plastic to China). You might find it interesting:

I wish they WOULD go back to glass. I remember the days when soda and Gatorade were in glass bottles. I don't know why but it just tasted better from glass. I won't drink that stuff from plastic.

Uzi

Quote:Quote:

Coming from an eastern european country where people don´t think that much about sustainability etc. I can only agree on this statement. The streets in the city where I am born are full with plastic bottles and plastic bags and so on.

Is there a...connection between your nickname, and a city in which you reside in?

[Image: biggrin.gif]

Lot of FUD in that original article. The oceans won't be filled with plastic by 2050 anymore than the 19th century predictions that we would burn all of the trees on earth.

Predictions like that fail to grasp that technology and behaviors change over time. 2050 is thirty four years away.

Let's go back in time 34 years ago to 1982. I bet if we look up predictions from that era we'd find equally dubious predictions about what the 00s would be like. Things like peak oil, melting polar ice caps, rising sea levels, and other such jokes.

The MSM would be smart to stop trying this, but they'll never learn.

There''s a variety of things we can do with plastic, prevention,reuse,recovery and disposal is the hierarchy.
Hell is like Newark is right with his video. The reason we send it back to China is mainly because we can't deal with it ourselves.
Think about a plastic bottle. It has a variety of different components from the bottle cap to the glue used to stick the label on it. This all makes it extremely expensive to recycle in terms of electricity and human hours spent sorting it all out.
The reason China takes it back is simple: Energy and Money.
Everyone seems to forget that your average plastic bottle is made from fossil fuel, which can be unleashed through pyrolysis, incineration or my newestate favourite: Gasification.
They used to use gasification to create "town gas" from coal. But now we can use it on waste like plastic.
Basically the process is that you throw a lot of plastic/waste into a sealed vacuum and you combust it in a near oxygen less state to break it down in three major components: Carbon dioxide, methane and Hydrogen.
This gas called syngas, short for synthetic gas, needs to be cleaned but can be used to provide electricity and heat for the grid or you can further process it into fuel or chemicals etc.
Syngas has the calorific value of about a quarter of that of natural gas. So that's one thing we can actually do to get some actual financial value out of our waste plastic.
I have links too if anybody is interested, just ask but I'm just onmy phone so it's quite difficult to post them.