rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cali/San Gil

Cali/San Gil

Hi all,

I hope it's ok for me to start a new thread.

I'm headed to Cali for the first time, though I've been going to Colombia for work/pleasure a half dozen times over the last 12 years. (Mostly Bogota, but I've been to Medellin, Santa Marta, Cartagena.)

I'm well past the hostel scene, and am looking for recommendations on where to stay. (Generally, which neighborhood, and more specifically, a hotel recommendation.) I've been recommended Penon or Granada. $50 USD is about what I'd like to spend, if possible. I like to stay flexible, so I don't know if I want to do flat rental, in case I get bored and decided to move on to other places.

My salsa game is weak. Is it all salsa, or can someone recommend a more chill hipster/artsy bar to get me started my first night? If you know Bogota from a few years back, think Escobar Rosas or even the Antifaz from way, way back.

Has anyone tried San Gil? I might go there to do some kayaking. I expected there'll be the usual backpackers and some Colombians on holiday, but seems to be a pretty quiet town.

I know I'm new here but have enjoyed reading the threads. I'll post a trip report when I get back to contribute. Thanks.

Cali/San Gil

Some advice / thoughts

Make sure where ever you stay will allow you to bring chicks back at night.

My salsa game is weak as well. I dont know how old you are but id find a club that plays reggeatton or bachata (much easier than salsa) if you wanna dance.

Not sure how long your gonna be there but id an account on http://www.colombiancupid.com/. Nice to have females already lined up.

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to your trip report. Suerte

Cali/San Gil

Not sure about nice places to stay in Cali. Honestly, I didn't think the city was all that impressive, sort of flat and ugly. I had a good time at the fair which takes place around Christmas.

People in Cali dance Salsa very very well. Lots of fancy footwork. You'll be cut some slack as long as you are not hopeless, since the expectations for a gringo's dancing ability are normally so low. Take some lessons when you get there and you will improve. Let's face it, you're not gonna be an expert anytime soon, so just relax and have fun with it. The one night I was not dancing in Cali I went to a metal bar, which was right off the main nightlife district on the Sexta. If there was gonna be a hipster bar in Cali, it would probably be near all that stuff. Anyway, here is a list of venues, and it looked like there's an "indie" one on there: http://cali.vive.in/noche/cali/articulos...27715.html

San Gil is a blast. I am not Mr. Extreme Sports by any means, but I went rafting and did paragliding, which was amazing. The condors flying in the mountains were at my eye level, and the people and trees down below were like figurines in a toy train set. I didn't have time, but I also recommend the cable car at Chicamocha Canyon, from a distance it looked incredible. Also, the portions of food are huge here, one plate was enough for two or three people.

As far as girls, San Gil is not really a big enough place, but it is only an hour away from Bucaramanga, which is well-known for having a lot of pretty girls.

Cali/San Gil

Quote: (08-09-2011 10:34 PM)picpro Wrote:  

Hi all,

I hope it's ok for me to start a new thread.

I'm headed to Cali for the first time, though I've been going to Colombia for work/pleasure a half dozen times over the last 12 years. (Mostly Bogota, but I've been to Medellin, Santa Marta, Cartagena.)

I'm well past the hostel scene, and am looking for recommendations on where to stay. (Generally, which neighborhood, and more specifically, a hotel recommendation.) I've been recommended Penon or Granada. $50 USD is about what I'd like to spend, if possible. I like to stay flexible, so I don't know if I want to do flat rental, in case I get bored and decided to move on to other places.

My salsa game is weak. Is it all salsa, or can someone recommend a more chill hipster/artsy bar to get me started my first night? If you know Bogota from a few years back, think Escobar Rosas or even the Antifaz from way, way back.

Has anyone tried San Gil? I might go there to do some kayaking. I expected there'll be the usual backpackers and some Colombians on holiday, but seems to be a pretty quiet town.

I know I'm new here but have enjoyed reading the threads. I'll post a trip report when I get back to contribute. Thanks.

http://calirentals.net/north.html

I'll be going to Cali soon also to settle some business...I haven't bought my ticket yet .....but I will most likely be in Cali the end of Aug. or the middle of Sept.

Cali/San Gil

Someone mentioned Bucaramanga, as it turns out I'm going there too to get to San Gil. Might even base out of there.

So Bucaramanga hotel recommendation/data sheet are needed too. Though nightlife is apparently abundant, it shouldn't be so vast that it is too hard to figure out.

Thanks for the help.