rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

I need to write a resume & cover letter to a previous employer

I used to have a fantastic job for the auto-industry where I went from town to town inspecting dealerships. I was in an LTR at the time, and despite having a few opportunities, I did not take full advantage of my situation. One of the dealership owners I met asked me if I were married, I replied "no, I have a girlfriend though." He then said if he were me he'd have a different girlfriend in every town... the wheels started to turn. Sadly, it was a contract job, and shortly after it ended and I was no longer needed.

Well, this company is hiring right now, and I figure if I can just get back there life will be great, and sooner or later I'll be back on the road. When that happens, expect daily reports, and if I make it to your town you know you've got a reliable wing.

So, I'm not asking for anyone to write either of these for me, or for generic tips, I'm looking at what I should/shouldn't say to get back with this company and how to make my app stand out. Hoping some of the experienced business minds on this sight can help me out here.

10 Tips for a Better Cover Letter

Hello.

CJ, can you get an insider recommendation? Do your old bosses/co-workers/friends etc. still work there? if so could you contact them and ask them to forward your resume to the guy in charge of hiring. This can get your resume out of the pile and put you on the fast track to an interview.

In the letter, highlight that your experience matches the job 100%. Since you've already done it before, your learning curve will be much smaller than a fresh applicant. Add your subsequent experience to this and show off any new skills you might have picked up.

Also, point out that you are seeking a position that lets you gain experience across the country, and that you welcome the travel aspect of any job with the firm. Most companies worry that travel requirements will turn candidates off.

Finally, Customer Referrals. If it's the same job, it sounds like it required establishing relationships with dealership owners. Could you ask some of them for referrals if they still know you? A customer referral might be something no other candidate may offer. Even if you can't, in your interview, you can play up the fact that you had well-established relationships with several dealerships - a conversation about a town/dealership that both you and your interviewer visited can help them bond with you set you up as a frontrunner.

Just think back to what made the bosses happiest when you worked for them. Think up all the ways you could be really good at the job you already did. Make sense?

Then think of the best job after you got let go that would give you the kind of experience you need to be really successful at the job. Then make that job up, and get prepaid phone cards from other states on the internet and give phony references.

Remind the existing bosses how much of a runaway success of a dealership inspector you were when you worked there. Sell it so they don't check. It's been a while, so they probably forgot.

If you need a reference you feel free to send me a private message.

It's dog eat dog out there.

Aloha!

I don't think I can get an insider recommendation, my old bosses have both moved on, and my buddy who helped me get the first job is long gone. I worked almost entirely out of the office, so that's why this is tricky. As for the dealers, I only met with each one once, so I had to make the contact and make sure they were cool with me taking photos of their facilities. Some were more cooperative than others, but again, I don't really have a solid contact, as I haven't done this stuff in 5 years.

I've got some ideas though, and I appreciate all the advice/link, hopefully this goes well and I can get back into doing something I actually enjoy.

I would strongly emphasize in the cover letter your experience with doing this type of work. In this bad economy, who wants to train someone new when they can hire a person who is ready to go from day #1? That's the question I would keep in mind while typing my cover letter. Emphasize your familiarity with the industry, practices, and skills required for the job. Also, think about those specific skills and/or knowledge required for the job that you know only an experienced candidate would now, and tell them about it. Do not hesitate to give a "I would like to highlight my experience doing xxxxxxxx" in your cover letter in order to direct their attention to your specific skills/knowledge that give you an advantage over other candidates. Good luck.