rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Staying fit in LatAm

Staying fit in LatAm

The consultancy with which I will be working in Shanghai will allow me to work remotely from anywhere in the world after my first year of being trained.

After touring China and SE Asia I will make a move to Latin America for the first time. Three places I definitely want to go to are Mexico, Colombia, and Brazil.

I get the feeling that cuisine in these places are deep fried, carb heavy, and full of pork. Has anyone felt that it was difficult to not get fat in these countries?

Staying fit in LatAm

youngmobileglobal -

If you are trying to get people thin, please focus on America.

Specifically the young female population.

Staying fit in LatAm

YMG,

Don't worry. The food is generally fresher and cleaner then what you will find in the US. Most of it is locally grown and raised without all the additives and preservatives that is used in America.

I actually lost weight in Mexico and Brazil. I think the main reason was the lack of preservatives and chemicals used in the food. They still produce food the old fashioned way. No genetic engineering, artificial ingredients, etc.

Be sure to stay away from the American Style fast food places.

Mexico: Beans, rice, fresh meat, salsa made from fresh veges, tortillas = very healthy

Brazil: Amazing meat, rice/beans, more amazing meat = perfect food for gaining muscle

If you are worried about fried, carb heavy food there is one country you should avoid....

The USA!

We are the most obese people on Earth.

Staying fit in LatAm

Haha G, I was asking this question more for myself and less for the local populace.

Thanks for the answer Giovonny. For some reason I remember Roosh commenting on Colombian/Latin food and it didnt sound very healthy.

I guess it all comes down to daily choices of what to eat. It's nice to know that there are some staples that are healthy.

Staying fit in LatAm

Quote: (08-09-2011 06:08 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

I guess it all comes down to daily choices of what to eat.

Exactly,

No matter what country you are in, you should avoid a lot of fried and carb heavy food.

You can get fat in any country in the world. You can get skinny in any country in the world. It all depends what you choose to eat.

Staying fit in LatAm

Quote: (08-09-2011 06:08 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Haha G, I was asking this question more for myself and less for the local populace.

Thanks for the answer Giovonny. For some reason I remember Roosh commenting on Colombian/Latin food and it didnt sound very healthy.

I guess it all comes down to daily choices of what to eat. It's nice to know that there are some staples that are healthy.

Ha.

Yeah, agree with Giovanny 100%.

Food is mad healthy in Mex and Colombia if you want it to be.

"I remember Roosh commenting on Colombian/Latin food and it didnt sound very healthy"

Roosh will tell you himself that he is no expert on food.

Staying fit in LatAm

To me, a lot 'sexy' brasileiras look plain fat. If it ain't that way today, it might be heading that way...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnew...-2022.html

Staying fit in LatAm

Argentina is actually a great place to eat heathily and happily.

Grass-fed beef is delicious and plentiful, same with the local red wine. Veggies are everywhere and cheap. We hired a lady to come to our apartment and prepare our vegetables so we could eat healthy greens that usually require a lot of preparation, so that all we had to do is open the fridge. We even taught her to prepare some of our favorite dishes like Shirazi salad!

Staying fit in LatAm

YMG,
I can only speak about Brasil and I'll say that each time I went there, I lost weight upon my return because the food is healthier and because I was more active there. Food is delicious, just make sure to stay away from the american fast food jonits and some of the local fast foods and the deep fried stuff that the bahianas sell. It's delicious but not healthy at all as it's very deep fried in a ton of oil.
Any sport you can imagine/fancy, you can easily do it in Brasil with the exception of sky and winter related ones for obvious reasons. Get involved with a local football team and have fun and you'll get in shape in no time. Not to mention capoeira or ju jitsu. Or you can take samba lessons and it'll be a terrific work out with the added bonus of having girls flock to you. [Image: wink.gif]
Of the list you mentioned, Brasil will be by far the funnest and most exciting of all, but not the cheapest. Before you get to Brasil, hit me up and I'll give you good tips. Speaking of Brasil, I'm starting to really miss it as I haven't been there in 2 years which would have been unthinkable for me a few years ago. But then Asia came and stole my heart...[Image: wink.gif]

Staying fit in LatAm

Gringoed,
Great idea about hiring a cook and teaching her/him your favorite dishes. Btw, you persian man? There are lot of persians in BKK but 99% are FOBS from Iran, not the coolest types tough.

Staying fit in LatAm

Is Samba intense enough of a cardio workout to match something like muay thai or boxing?

I haven't found a combination that can compete with muay thai + weights to keep me fit.

I would love to do Samba. This is a weak comparison, but there is this franchise dance product/class called "Zumba" that is popular in the US that apparently is helping a lot of people lose weight.

Between fighting, lifting, dancing, and banging, I think I'd have enough going on fitness wise in Brazil to stay fit.

In terms of food, as we all agree, it comes down to individual choices. My main question was more like this - if I'm hungry and want to run downstairs to get a quick bite to eat, in Philly my closest two options were Philly cheese steaks and pizza. In Thailand my choices are pineapples and chicken skewers. You see what I mean? It's all about choice at the end of the day, but it's nice to have fruit and chicken skewers widely available everywhere in Thailand. It's one of the reasons why I think this is the best place to get in shape - assuming that you stay away from the party scene. That's one of the reasons why I left Bangkok - moving farther and farther away from my fitness goals in addition to not getting much work done.

Staying fit in LatAm

I wouldnt worry about.

You can always workout, play sports, and dance. That will keep you more than fit imo

Staying fit in LatAm

Brazil BJJ

Most major cities in Colombia have a department of sports. Sort of like the athletic center of a University. I was looking up Judo/BJJ/MMA classes. Manizales, Pereira have at least judo and a lot of other sports.
Medellin, Bucaramanga, Bogota have good BJJ gyms.

Argentina has BJJ gyms in Cordoba, Buenos Aires, haven't looked too deeply into Argentina.

That is, if you're into BJJ.

Check out bjjglobetrotter.com

Staying fit in LatAm

I lived in Mexico for over a year, so I kinda familiar with the local cuisine and it depends heavily on where you stay within the country as its diverse as fuck. Bascially its way healthier on the coast because of all the seafood and fish and not so healthy in the highlands (eg Mex-City). This being siad, keep in mind that eating those tortillas all day is not healthy at all. Its pretty much like eating wonderbread and they come with every meal, literally every meal! I gained like 20lbs during my stay in Mex-City and I was exercising and did play basketball a lot for my uni. On the other hand, I partied hard and generally lived a not-so-healthy lifestyle...One last thing, Mexican food is great!!!

Staying fit in LatAm

Quote: (08-09-2011 07:16 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Is Samba intense enough of a cardio workout to match something like muay thai or boxing?

I haven't found a combination that can compete with muay thai + weights to keep me fit.

I would love to do Samba. This is a weak comparison, but there is this franchise dance product/class called "Zumba" that is popular in the US that apparently is helping a lot of people lose weight.

Between fighting, lifting, dancing, and banging, I think I'd have enough going on fitness wise in Brazil to stay fit.

In terms of food, as we all agree, it comes down to individual choices. My main question was more like this - if I'm hungry and want to run downstairs to get a quick bite to eat, in Philly my closest two options were Philly cheese steaks and pizza. In Thailand my choices are pineapples and chicken skewers. You see what I mean? It's all about choice at the end of the day, but it's nice to have fruit and chicken skewers widely available everywhere in Thailand. It's one of the reasons why I think this is the best place to get in shape - assuming that you stay away from the party scene. That's one of the reasons why I left Bangkok - moving farther and farther away from my fitness goals in addition to not getting much work done.

Yes, samba offers you a huge calorie loss (around 300/h). Go to a samba school rehersal and you will see what I mean. If you go out and you are not sweting or tired... well you were not dancing.
And food... Don't to you know that B' girls secret to be awesome is eating rice/beans everyday? I will never forget the day I told a German that I eat the same thing for 20 years... He laugh. There are pleanty street markets around town, you can go to Mercado Municipal (every town has one, here is SP is a must-go). Stay away from Mc Donalds, Outback and those stuff... And please forget Starbucs. I hate when I see gringoes in the line. to know a country is about their food more than culture itself.

Deixa que essa fase é passageira, amanhã será melhor você vai ver a cidade inteira seu samba saber de cor!

Staying fit in LatAm

Quote: (08-09-2011 05:56 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

YMG,

Don't worry. The food is generally fresher and cleaner then what you will find in the US. Most of it is locally grown and raised without all the additives and preservatives that is used in America.

I actually lost weight in Mexico and Brazil. I think the main reason was the lack of preservatives and chemicals used in the food. They still produce food the old fashioned way. No genetic engineering, artificial ingredients, etc.

Mexico: Beans, rice, fresh meat, salsa made from fresh veges, tortillas =
very healthy

Brazil: Amazing meat, rice/beans, more amazing meat = perfect food for gaining muscle

I respectfully disagree. Brazilians eat a TON of RED COW MEAT!! A TON! Red meat should be avoided at all costs if you ate looking for a physique worthy of a male-stripper or athlete!

I did not ever walk the streets of Brazil and see muscle bound guys. They were either skinny ir fat with the MINORITY looking like their beloved soccer star in Spain.

Another thing I notice. After they hit 30 years of age, their physique starts to go downhill from all that red meat.

If you want to build muscle: your proteins should be from wild caught, WHITE FISH, nuts and berries. NOT RED COW MEAT

I'm almost 40, abd I still look like a college running back!

Mixx

Staying fit in LatAm

I lost around twenty pounds my first few months in Colombia without even trying. The food is much healthier here, I would venture to say that even the fried stuff here is not as unhealthy as American fried stuff. The diet is a lot of rice, beans, eggs, arepas, chicken, beef, and potatoes. The biggest struggle you will have is with vegetables or salads in restaurants, it is not that common. But there is a lot of fruit and natural fruit juices. Roosh was talking about street food like buñuelos and empanadas, and yeah, go easy on that stuff. But a typical lunch here is cheap and pretty healthy.

Staying fit in LatAm

Quote: (08-09-2011 05:56 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  

YMG,

Mexico: Beans, rice, fresh meat, salsa made from fresh veges, tortillas = very healthy

If you are worried about fried, carb heavy food there is one country you should avoid....

The USA!

We are the most obese people on Earth.

I agree entirely with giovonny's statement.
For all the people here concerned with weight gain, the primary reason North Americans gain weight are THE PRESERVATIVES in the food.

You can go to these third world countries and the people are generally trim and fit. Do they do all these fitness exercises? Fcuk no. It's the food, the food, the food.
Abs are built in the kitchen and so is a good body.

If you eat properly in these third world countries, you will be even better than you were in America.

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Staying fit in LatAm

Here is another Hot tip:

Hit up the Mercados in Colombia.

Those things are ill.

I used to think that the farmers markets in California were dope.

Until I started hitting up the Mercados in other countries.

The Mercados in Spain make the farmers markets in California look like a joke.

Staying fit in LatAm

"the primary reason North Americans gain weight are THE PRESERVATIVES in the food."

Thats something I've never heard before. I hear they can cause other problems but not serious weight gain. Do you mean ADDITIVES in general?

Staying fit in LatAm

Brazil and Argentina use the same ranching and farming methods as the United States. It wasn't so 5 or 10 years ago, but farmers are using genetically modified crops and the feedlot (grain-fed) beef industry is growing considerably. The primary reason people are fat in the US is the amount of calories they eat, the types of foods (red meat, potatoes and simple carbs as opposed to lean proteins, vegetables, and complex carbs), binge drinking, and sedentary lifestyle (car culture, couch potato lifestyle). Everything else is rationalization.

Don't let Green Peace faggots fool you. GM foods are not the problem. Processed foods are. Usually high in calories with shit nutrition. It's easy to eat clean and healthy. Maybe not the EASIEST way, but it's not nearly as hard as fat idiots make it out to be.

Staying fit in LatAm

Quote: (08-10-2011 09:17 AM)MiXX Wrote:  

If you want to build muscle: your proteins should be from wild caught, WHITE FISH, nuts and berries. NOT RED COW MEAT

Good point Mixx. Limit your red meat. White meat (fish and chicken) is much cleaner.

This allows you to build muscle and keep that summer time 6 pack!

Staying fit in LatAm

the meat in brazil and argentina is free range beef, which means that they move around feeding on grass, instead of stuck in a "pigpen" eating genetically modified corn and sitting in their own piles of sh*t.

However this means that people eat a lot of meat there, which is not healthy. Check out these posts:

http://www.baconismagic.ca/food/argentina-food/
http://www.baconismagic.ca/argentina/mea...-are-sexy/

I'd say that the rest of Latin America barring the Carribean (due to a lack of expert knowledge of Carribean Latin countries), is healthy, but just be careful of fried foods, lard, too many carbs etc. The latin population in the US is NOT thin, but the Latin population in Latin America is thinner than the general American population. Just make sure to complement your dishes with additional fresh veggies and fruits as Latin diets are very rice, beans and meat based.

Staying fit in LatAm

"Brazil and Argentina use the same ranching and farming methods as the United States."

Why does food taste more "real" there?

Update:

"the meat in brazil and argentina is free range beef, which means that they move around feeding on grass"

So which is it?

Staying fit in LatAm

Quote: (08-09-2011 07:16 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

My main question was more like this - if I'm hungry and want to run downstairs to get a quick bite to eat, in Philly my closest two options were Philly cheese steaks and pizza. In Thailand my choices are pineapples and chicken skewers. You see what I mean? It's all about choice at the end of the day,

YMG,

So, In Philly, your options were bad and in Thailand your options were good. Yet, in Thailand, you still gained weight?

This tells me that you are not serious about getting in shape. Don't they have grocery stores in Philly? If you were serious about getting in shape, you would go to the store and buy some fresh fish, chicken, etc. That way when you get hungry, you wouldn't have to rely on the local fast food scene. Its very hard to get and stay in shape if you are always eating out.

Getting in shape, is just like travel and business. You have to plan and prepare. You have to do research. Failing to plan, is planning to fail. Alot of athletes say that "the kitchen is just as important as the gym".

Quote: (08-10-2011 10:18 AM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Yeah nutrition is huge. That is the reason why I went to Bangkok, did a shitload of muay thai, and got FATTER.

You went to muay thai camp and got fatter!!!

You must have been eating bad food and drinking alot.

And, this is with plenty of healthy fast food options (chicken and fruit skewers)

It sounds like you need to improve your DISCIPLINE!

If you can't lose weight in Philly and you can't lose weight at a muay thai camp in Thailand, don't expect Latin America to be any easier. Every country has good food and bad food. Its your responsibility to control what you put in your mouth.

I think you might be trying to do too much at the same time. You are trying to get in shape, build your business, and party. I don't know if you can do all of that simultaneously. Maybe you should just party hard for a little while until you are ready for a break. Then settle down and grind out some work. You can't party and get in shape at the same time.