rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Creep Show: The Top 15 Creep Tells

ScienceDirect: On The Nature Of Creepiness

Quote:Quote:

FROM greasy hair to licking your lips frequently or standing too close to someone’s friend, these are the top personal habits which make you seem “creepy” to others.

A groundbreaking new study on the nature of creepiness, which found that clowns, taxidermists, funeral directors and sex shop owners are among the world’s creepiest occupations, examined non verbal behaviour or traits.

The study found that men are more likely to be seen as creepy than women, and that females more often perceived sexual threats in a creepy person.

“On the Nature of Creepiness” by US psychologists Francis McAndrew and Sara Koehnke showed that unusual non-verbal behaviour and unpredictability increased a person’s creepiness.

Among the top personal traits of creepy people were that they had greasy or unkempt hair, they had long fingers or that they wore dirty clothes.

Other creepy physical features were having bulging eyes, had very pale skin, had bags under their eyes, had a peculiar smile or were very muscular.

Creepy behaviour included standing too close to your friend, laughing at unpredictable times and making it “nearly impossible for your friend to leave the conversation without appearing rude”.

Also in the top 15 behavioural traits of creepy people was the person who “relentlessly steered the conversation toward one topic”, and someone who dressed too formally for the occasion.

In a total of 44 personal aspects that people found creepy in others, having visible tattoos or not looking a person in the eye when they spoke to you featured, along with the degree to which a person was steering a conversation toward sex.

Other creepy behaviour included touching a friend too frequently, and nodding too frequently.

In studying occupations, the researchers found that professions connected with death, such as taxidermy and funeral directors, connected with a fascination for sex, such as sex shop owners were creepy.

Taxi drivers, unemployed people and members of the clergy were also high on the list. But clowns were the creepiest of all.

One final question the researchers made in their survey was “do most creepy people know that they are creepy?”

The majority of people responded with the answer no.

The purpose of the study paper was to psychologically explore the common but unpleasant human experience of “being creeped out”, which can make people feel not only uncomfortable but physically cold or chilly.

McAndrew and Koehnke, who work at Knox College in Galesberg, Illinois, also looked at just what factor our “creepiness detector” was warning us about.

“A mugger who points a gun in your face and demands money is certainly threatening and terrifying, [but] most people would not use the word ‘creepy’ to define this situation,” the researchers said.

“It is our belief that creepiness is anxiety aroused by the ambiguity of whether there is something to fear or not.

“In the mugging situation, there is no ambiguity about the presence or nature of threat.

“It is only when we get confronted with uncertainty about threat that we get ‘creeped out’.”

The researchers found that “creepy” is different to “terrifying”, but still is related to the mechanisms humans have developed to protect them from harm at the hands of predators or enemies.

“If you are walking down a dark city street and hear the sound of something moving in the dark alley to your right [and] it turns out that it is just a gust of wind or a stray cat,” then your alarm bells have rung for nothing.

But because humans do err on the side of caution by reacting to these factors, we are heightened to respond to people who make us feel uneasy.

“It would be considered rude and embarrassing to run away from an odd person who has done nothing overtly threatening, but, on the other hand, it could be perilous to ignore your intuition and remain in an interaction that is dangerous.

“This ambivalence leaves you frozen in place, wallowing in unease.”

TOP CREEPY BEHAVIOURAL TRAITS

*Standing too close to your friend

*Having greasy or unkempt hair

*Licking your lips too frequently

*Wearing dirty clothes

*Having a peculiar smile

*Having bulging eyes or bags under your eyes

*Dressing oddly or being overdressed for the occasion

*Having very pale skin

*Laughing at unpredictable times

*Having long fingers

*A person who makes it nearly impossible for your friend to leave the conversation without appearing rude

*A person who relentlessly steers the conversation toward one topic

TOP CREEPY OCCUPATIONS
1. Clown
2. Taxidermist.
3. Sex shop owner.
4. Funeral director
5. Taxi driver
6. Unemployed
7. Clergy
8. Janitor
9. Garbage collector
10. Guard
11. Writer
12. Actor

Interesting stuff. Only confirms what we knew about the arbitrary nature of one's perceived creepiness in relation to their level of social awareness/adept. There's a few points it can't harm to be aware of. Not surprised writer or actor squeezed into the top 12 either.

"The results are consistent with the hypothesis that being “creeped out” is an evolved adaptive emotional response to ambiguity about the presence of threat that enables us to maintain vigilance during times of uncertainty."

Remember - if he's cute, its flirting; if he's not cute, its harassment.

TOP CREEPY OCCUPATIONS
1. Clown
2. Taxidermist.
3. Sex shop owner.
4. Funeral director
5. Taxi driver
6. Unemployed
7. Clergy
8. Janitor
9. Garbage collector
10. Guard
11. Writer
12. Actor

13. NASA test pilot

Other creepy physical features were having bulging eyes, had very pale skin, had bags under their eyes, had a peculiar smile or were very muscular.

I could see intimidating, scary or off putting but how exactly does that make someone creepy?

And then after reading the rest of the post, it's only socially inept people who are creepy. Something we all know.

7. Clergy

WTF?

“Nothing is more useful than to look upon the world as it really is.”

Quote: (09-30-2016 08:30 PM)XPQ22 Wrote:  

TOP CREEPY OCCUPATIONS
1. Clown
2. Taxidermist.
3. Sex shop owner.
4. Funeral director
5. Taxi driver
6. Unemployed
7. Clergy
8. Janitor
9. Garbage collector
10. Guard
11. Writer
12. Actor

13. NASA test pilot

[Image: lol.gif]

Quote: (09-30-2016 10:48 PM)911 Wrote:  

7. Clergy

WTF?

I think that applies more to catholic priests than to protestant ministers or rabbis. Probably the reputation of priests being child molesters.

On the flip side of things, being "unpredictable" is a great way to defend yourself from shit testers and actually affords you to call someone out and put them in their place.

Sure, on my end, being "socially inept" is actually an act, especially when I know I'm being set up.

"Dirty appearance?" Lazy asses. Like they do physical labor, and I work graveyard. I HAD to walk to the nearest McDonald's just to get food, only to be disrespected like this? Fuck this attempted monopoly on gender roles by your own women, wankers. This is fucking exactly why I always wish England would forever be a Viking colony instead, just to keep your unruly women in check.

“If you are walking down a dark city street and hear the sound of something moving in the dark alley to your right [and] it turns out that it is just a gust of wind or a stray cat,” then your alarm bells have rung for nothing."

Oh, so basically, anyone who has to walk to a the next eatery in the middle of the night is a 'creep'? This is not Victorian England anymore, where eugenics was implemented because Englishwomen of the time were being unruly cunts, to the point any Englishman falsely accused of being Jack the Ripper guarantees himself exile off of England.

Addendum: this 'research' screams Anglo female CODES, it's infuriating.

http://faculty.knox.edu/fmcandre/SPSP_Cr...-paper.pdf

Of course, Knox College is a LIBERAL arts school.

Tim in real life I walk around dirty during some breaks at work, I kinda just accept I look like shit at these times.

Also, I'm 6'3" overweight but very strong. I generally carry a weapon walking around. I see someone else walking around at 3am in my lower-middle class suburb I assume they're up to no good and avoid, common sense IMO. I myself won't be out that late unless I'm fucked up, I figure if I'm a little less predictable myself forget cutting other people any slack.

Edit: hate to pile on but "dirty in the middle of night = creepy" really is not a bad social norm.

14. University academics using taxpayer money to produce studies on the existential nature of "creepiness"

I think being social is so fundamental to a woman's nature (the Manosphere calls them herd creatures for a reason) that seeing poor socialization skills, especially poor social skills in men (who are viewed as bigger and stronger and more dangerous), creates strong negative emotions.

Quote: (10-01-2016 10:14 AM)Sumanguru Wrote:  

I think being social is so fundamental to a woman's nature (the Manosphere calls them herd creatures for a reason) that seeing poor socialization skills, especially poor social skills in men (who are viewed as bigger and stronger and more dangerous), creates strong negative emotions.

I mean, it probably was fundamental, at one point.

For my part I find girls who sit in the club texting all night, and can't even pull their eyes away from the screen long enough to have a normal conversation, extremely creepy.

Why don't you marry it, if you love it so much?

Science loves any theory that exaggerates shit about men.

When it comes to figuring out the tells for crazy women, we have to compare notes and figure it out for ourselves on forums like this.

Notice that a lot of the things that are creepy about men are often things that can be fixed easily, not like any woman cares enough or can even get past her personal laziness to tell guys she knows that a little soap, water, posture, and eye contact practice could fix up their whole lives.

I hate the word creepy. It is overkill most of the time, and involves picking on the weak.

It is only a short leap from creepy to rapey, and we all know where that kind of melodrama and pageantry is leading society.

First off, a lot of the time when a woman is telling you about a creepy guy she saw that day, she is really bragging, in that dorky fruity way girls have of not realizing that having a weird person attracted to you is not something to brag about.

Just the other day I was talking to a pretty cute girl in her twenties who is a case manager for an agency that helps integrate people with serious mental issues back into society, and she was fucking humblebragging that sometimes she has to reassign her clients because they fall in love with her!

This is total hamsterese, because what she really wants to say is: All guys want me!

In her dim female way, she knows she can't get away with that, so she figures it is more humble to slip it into a conversation about her work life, and ends up achieving nothing by telling me that depressed men who haven't had any sort of relationship in years, male or female, even friends, fixate on her. (Like they also fixate on any woman who is nice to them, the clerk at the dollar store, the receptionist at the place where they sell plasma.)

That is the first problem. Woman will often take any attention they can get, and brag about it, and slipping the word creepy into the mix is just a way of softening their braggadocio, so some poor slob is being unfairly painted as a freak just so she feels like she isn't really bragging when she is bragging.

The second problem, obviously, is that there are a lot of guys out there who could tweak their look a little, rediscover their natural masculocity, and be fine. Instead, they are being demeaned with a label that they take on board, that woman parrot not knowing how it can affect a man, and that white knights and orbiters make their battle cry in order to hide their own shortcomings.

There are really and truly creepy people out there, men and women, and anyone can pick up on it. This modern watered down version is just status signalling in a way that can fuck up an awkward guy's life just to score points.

Fuck this scientist and his study. Why didn't he come up with terms like the thousand cock stare or the slut tell?

Because he was too busy trying to prove to women he isn't creepy.

Edit: I just looked the co-authors up. This is the dude writing about creepy:

[Image: photo.jpg]

Now, he is a full professor at Knox College:

Cornelia H. Dudley Professor of Psychology at Knox College.

So at least he has his career in order.

His homepage:

http://www.frankmcandrew.com/

His co-author?

[Image: 1a0745c.jpg]

Did her undergraduate at the same university.

She now works at Walgreens![Image: tard.gif]

Her Linkedin:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sara-koehnke-5112ab34

This sad little bitch boy wrote this whole paper to prove to an ex-student that he isn't creepy! And he gave her an co-author credit to boot. I am sure she doesn't think he is creepy now. Women love guys who give them shit they don't deserve.

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung

Quote: (10-01-2016 12:16 PM)debeguiled Wrote:  

Science loves any theory that exaggerates shit about men.

When it comes to figuring out the tells for crazy women, we have to compare notes and figure it out for ourselves on forums like this.

Notice that a lot of the things that are creepy about men are often things that can be fixed easily, not like any woman cares enough or can even get past her personal laziness to tell guys she knows that a little soap, water, posture, and eye contact practice could fix up their whole lives.

I hate the word creepy. It is overkill most of the time, and involves picking on the weak.

It is only a short leap from creepy to rapey, and we all know where that kind of melodrama and pageantry is leading society.

First off, a lot of the time when a woman is telling you about a creepy guy she saw that day, she is really bragging, in that dorky fruity way girls have of not realizing that having a weird person attracted to you is not something to brag about.

Just the other day I was talking to a pretty cute girl in her twenties who is a case manager for an agency that helps integrate people with serious mental issues back into society, and she was fucking humblebragging that sometimes she has to reassign her clients because they fall in love with her!

This is total hamsterese, because what she really wants to say is: All guys want me!

In her dim female way, she knows she can't get away with that, so she figures it is more humble to slip it into a conversation about her work life, and ends up achieving nothing by telling me that depressed men who haven't had any sort of relationship in years, male or female, even friends, fixate on her. (Like they also fixate on any woman who is nice to them, the clerk at the dollar store, the receptionist at the place where they sell plasma.)

That is the first problem. Woman will often take any attention they can get, and brag about it, and slipping the word creepy into the mix is just a way of softening their braggadocio, so some poor slob is being unfairly painted as a freak just so she feels like she isn't really bragging when she is bragging.

The second problem, obviously, is that there are a lot of guys out there who could tweak their look a little, rediscover their natural masculocity, and be fine. Instead, they are being demeaned with a label that they take on board, that woman parrot not knowing how it can affect a man, and that white knights and orbiters make their battle cry in order to hide their own shortcomings.

There are really and truly creepy people out there, men and women, and anyone can pick up on it. This modern watered down version is just status signalling in a way that can fuck up an awkward guy's life just to score points.

Fuck this scientist and his study. Why didn't he come up with terms like the thousand cock stare or the slut tell?

Because he was too busy trying to prove to women he isn't creepy.

Edit: I just looked the co-authors up. This is the dude writing about creepy:

Now, he is a full professor at Knox College:

Cornelia H. Dudley Professor of Psychology at Knox College.

So at least he has his career in order.

His homepage:

http://www.frankmcandrew.com/

His co-author?

[Image: 1a0745c.jpg]

Did her undergraduate at the same university.

She now works at Walgreens![Image: tard.gif]

Her Linkedin:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sara-koehnke-5112ab34

This sad little bitch boy wrote this whole paper to prove to an ex-student that he isn't creepy! And he gave her an co-author credit to boot. I am sure she doesn't think he is creepy now. Women love guys who give them shit they don't deserve.

Ping Pong. You nailed it.

[Image: discussionclosed.gif]

Sounds like this was written by a bitch boy. Dirty clothes and being out at night woooo muscles too so scary!!

Dressing oddly or being overdressed for the occasion

*Having long fingers

Rest in Piece suiting up and finger banging a girl in the bar or back alley.

Creepy = not attracted. Plain and simple. If a girl finds you attractive, she'll want you to stand close, to steer the conversation toward sex, if she's into TV vampire queer look she'll want pale skin, she'll think unkempt hair is a sign of an unpredictable or carefree attitude, etc.

And ANY career choice will be "cool" if she's into you. I know a dude in a shitty band living in his parent's basement who has a steady stream of chicks. Sure a Dubai porta potty won't be into him but some girl will...and that's the whole point. Always be approaching. Some broad will find your "creepy" quirks attractive.

Quote: (10-01-2016 12:16 PM)debeguiled Wrote:  

This guy…oh boy. Here's the lecture that he gave two weeks ago (September 16th and 17th) in Santa Fe, New Mexico: http://www.santafejung.org/091617.html

A quick synopsis...

"Recently, I gave an invited lecture and facilitated a workshop on "Alpha Males" and the violence of young men at the C. G. Jung Institute in Santa Fe, New Mexico."

[Image: facepalm2.gif]

"Action still preserves for us a hope that we may stand erect." - Thucydides (from History of the Peloponnesian War)

Fuck. He's been to Santa Fe? Now I can't, in good conscience, go there.

Carl Jung

Not sure if i can take this thread seriously.

Meaningless unless it distinguishes between male and female.

When women say "creepy," they mean a man who is sexually unattractive and obviously thirsty.
Being unattractive usually means being ungroomed, unsymmetrical, fat, sick, poor, having negative prestige (e.g. janitor,) having submissive body language, having deferential behaviour, or being eager for sex in a way that implies it's very rare for him.
The sky is blue, by the way.

When men say creepy, it has more to do with uneasiness.

It's funny. If this creep took his essay on creepiness seriously, he might have learned some game.
Instead he just increased his creep factor.

After the pic posted of the author above, the article reads as a diatribe of self hate

two scoops
two genders
two terms

What is the deal with these well established academics macking passive aggressively on semi-hot young women, and pretending they are colleagues?

Like, I mean come on, Phillip Zimbardo, the freaking mind behind the Stanford Prison experiment, iconic psych study bro, teaming up with some pointless bint to write something:

[Image: MX8sCOcs.jpeg]

https://nikitacoulombe.com/about/

My background is in psychology and fine art, and I have degrees in both from the University of Colorado. After University, I worked closely with social psychologist and past APA President, Philip Zimbardo, for several years. Phil has been a great mentor and friend and has taught me a lot about human nature. He also encouraged me to do more writing on the topics I’m passionate about. Together we co-authored a couple of books.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157324...MGC4XNJARU

She is a hamster, I mean, artist:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nikitacoulombe

I wish these older guys just took the time to get some game!

If you just fuck her, she would be happy, and instead, you are hovering over her, pretending to be her mentor, giving her co-author credits she doesn't deserve.

It's okay, Zimbardo-bro, have sex with her.

She wants it.

Why are you pretending she is a scholar and hovering over her shoulder, revising a manuscript she doesn't really understand, getting close but not too close, pretending you don't want her calves over your shoulders?

Why are you spending frustrating nights listening to her ever changing random opinions like they have any merit on any planet let alone earth?

She is waiting for you to fuck her, and you are too timid to pull the trigger.

Zimbardo-bro, you are letting all of us down.

Your are still in the game and you don't even know it.

Carl Jung

Quote: (09-30-2016 10:48 PM)911 Wrote:  

7. Clergy

WTF?

For many of us, we only meet priests at funerals and weddings. An association with either is enough to creep me out...

The article mentioned that it's "creepy" when people refuse to let a specific subject die, or keep bringing up a certain topic. Heartiste Agrees:

Rule #2: Don’t Force Conversation Topics.

Men have a thermal exhaust port. We are too logical. No, seriously. Logic is great for building bridges that won’t collapse and for inventing calculus, but it’s horrible as a mental facility for managing relationships or persuading women to see your point of view.

(Women have a thermal exhaust port, too: Their emotional bonding and subsequent rationalization for their feelings that blinds them to a man’s true motives.)

Logical thinking is how theories are formulated, arguments are devised, and solutions are hard-won. Men, by dint of years of exposure to their own natures, have resilient egos which can withstand blows by opposing forces and regroup for another day of adventure and creative-destruction. Unlike women who retreat to deeper delusions when their egos are struck by reality, men can, to varying degree, take an ego shock in stride and incorporate new evidence that will accrue to their personal advantage.

That male trait which is a gift in non-romantically infused contexts is a handicap when the opposing force is an alien who doesn’t play by the rules of logic. That force is female self-love, from which all absurdities of thought and peculiarities of reason flow.

So what happens when the unstoppable force of male logic meets the immovable object of female self-love? You get what we in the seduction business call a stubborn refusal to let an orphaned conversation thread die out when it isn’t being received well by female company.

We’ve all seen this happen to some hapless over-logical male: The triumphant quasi-announcement of a scintillating conversation topic nursed in a split second judgment that the gathered will be amazed by his wit and wisdom, the forthright glee with which it is presented for studio consumption, the leaking of confident airs from his demeanor as he too slowly realizes no one is reciprocating his energy or spring-boarding off his brilliance, the stuttering follow-up as one or two congregants, usually women, ricochet unpredictably into new topical territory, the prison of silence that muffles him as he surrenders to the reality that the crowd has MOVED ON.

And then, the most awkward moment, the anti-climax he will regret for months if he is young and for an hour or two if he is older and giving less fucks about life’s sadistic pop quizzes. That moment, after the conversation has fully turned and spasms of fresh vigor have been injected by girlicues following their bouncing bubbly balls, when he throws himself, bellyflop style, onto the organic rhythm of the back and forth with a last-ditch effort to impose his previous stream of concreteness. And, naturally, the reddening splash turns to reddening hue as eyes of pity shot with capillaries of contempt answer his logical insistence with an ocular writ of cease and desist.

He is humbled, and his allies in male logic abandon him as the women take the lead to rescue a souring scene. As go the tingles, so go the tumescents.

If you get what you think is a winning conversational theme in your head, be prepared to abandon it at a moment’s notice. Like De Niro* might say about seduction, don’t get attached to a topic you aren’t willing to drop in ten seconds flat, if you feel the female heat around the corner.

(*Running ref gag.)

Let threads die. Don’t attempt to revive threads at a later time. Don’t beat a fun time over the head with your genius insight that the world is fated to endure. Don’t hammer home a message when the crowd has decided it’s time to talk about something else. If you can master the art of artfully dodging your own bull-headed self-loyalty, you can learn to appreciate the percolating jazziness of verbal foreplay. It’s a talent that comes second-nature to women, but which men — especially autist spectrum men — have to work at to achieve the same level of instinctive grasp.

If you feel that headstrong voice egging on your ego to drive home a point, don’t listen to it. Avoid its tempation. Choose strife. Accept that conversations and social pressures will be chaotic, and that from this bubbling froth of flirty banter that is outside of your narrow mental alleyways and that flourishes under both your simultaneous command and acquiescence, real desire can erupt, like a solar flare.

Women measure a man’s mate worth by many more variables than just his shoes or square jaw. They measure his wit, his grace under pressure, his adaptability. Can he steer discursive switchbacks with confidence? Can he quickly disown colloquially limp lows while claiming careening conversational highs as his own? These tells of a man’s alpha nature — and yes, they are the distinguishing hallmarks of the alpha male personality — are subtle enough to be missed by other men with eight-cylinder powered logical minds, but are magnified to outsized relevance by intuitive women with a million years of evolution to guide them toward the vessel of their orgasmically up-sucked überseed.

One trick I have learned that has helped me avoid the error of forcing conversation topics is to relinquish a flowering thought at the moment when the crowd wants to hear more of it. Better to err on the side of leaving a topic stranded close to a high note rather than beating it to death past its expiration note. You are not a stand-up comedian with a captive audience and a mic; you are a man in a group of people all more or less equally competing for air time. Use the floor wisely. Your wit should be a gift, not a chore.

"Does PUA say that I just need to get to f-close base first here and some weird chemicals will be released in her brain to make her a better person?"
-Wonitis