rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Rocketeer Sequel-Reboot: Pilot to be Black Female

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vi...rks-915037
Quote:Quote:

The project, in the early development stages, is being looked at as a sequel-reboot and will be headlined by a black female character.

The Rocketeer is ready to blast off once again.

Walt Disney Studios is developing a reboot of the 1991 action adventure movie, hiring Max Winkler and Matt Spicer to pen the script, which is being titled The Rocketeers.

The project, in the early development stages, is considered a sequel-reboot and, in a modern-day twist, will be headlined by a black female character.

Brigham Taylor, who produced The Jungle Book with Jon Favreau, is producing along with Blake Griffin of the L.A. Clippers and Ryan Kalil of the Carolina Panthers. Griffin and Kalil are partners in a new venture called Mortal Media and approached Taylor with the idea for the reboot.

Rocketeer was based on the popular 1980s indie comic by Dave Stevens and, like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, was a loving homage to the serials of the 1930s and 1940s.

The story followed Cliff Secord, a stunt pilot who discovers a rocket pack and suit to die for and become embroiled with mobsters and Nazis, as well as Howard Hughes and the FBI.

The Joe Johnston-directed movie starred Billy Campbell as Secord, Jennifer Connelly as his aspiring actress (a Betty Page homage) girlfriend, Timothy Dalton as an Errol Flynn-type actor who is a Nazi spy and Alan Arkin as Secord's mechanic.

When the movie was released, it grossed only $46.6 million and came in fourth in its opening weekend (it was pummeled by Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, City Slickers and Dying Young). Its performance was considered a disappointment by the studio and its creative team.

But a rare thing happened: The movie took on a life of its own, engendering a massive following who loved its un-ironic, bright and straightforwardly heroic take on characters, all abetted by a score by James Horner.

When Disney hosted a 20th anniversary screening of the movie in Hollywood's El Capitan Theatre in 2011, fans — many in Rocketeer costumes — lined up for blocks.

It was around that time that the studio began mulling a reboot of the movie, but sources said it sought a way to differentiate it from another rocket-propelled flying hero: Iron Man.

The new take keeps the story in a period setting and offers a fresh view on the characters. Set six years after the original Rocketeer and after Secord has vanished while fighting the Nazis, an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African–American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War.

Tendo Nagenda and Chaz Salembier are overseeing the project for Disney.

Winkler, the son of Fonzie actor Henry Winkler, wrote and directed the 2010 indie comedy Ceremony, which starred Michael Angarano and Uma Thurman. He has also directed episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and New Girl.

Spicer is Winkler's producing and writing partner. The two have a coming-of-age drama titled Flower, with Zoey Deutch and Adam Scott, in postproduction, which Winkler directed. They also wrote Magic Camp for Disney and The Adventurer's Handbook for Focus.

The duo is repped by CAA, Management 360 and Jackoway Tyerman.
[Image: facepalm.png]

Finally...a filmmaker is brave enough to bring us the exploits of one of the many young, female African-American pilots from World War II that were so instrumental in defeating the Axis powers.

It's about goddamn time.

"Modern Twist" is all I needed to read.

Hollywood can't make anything original anymore so they recycle old bullshit.

If they are trying to differentiate from Iron Man, they are going about it all wrong. Iron Man already is a black female college student.

Two thoughts:

1. Why reboot a flop movie that has no Brand Value amongst the mass moviegoer audience, especially when every time Hollywood makes a decision based upon 'fan loyalty' to a niche brand, it doesn't translate into bums on seats.

2. The casting means they've lost the increasingly-important Asian market.

Hopefully she'll be hotter than the black ghostbuster woman.

I'll be honest, i'm ok with this if she's attractive.

Quote: (03-05-2016 02:42 PM)SudoRoot Wrote:  
Fuck this shit, I peace out.

The original score by James Horner made that movie come alive with MAGIC. Too bad they're already shitting on the legacy.

I remember taking the VHS tape to a friend's house who had a 4 channel pro-logic surround system, DAMN!

Bought the laserdisc at a garage sale a while back, good memories.

[Image: ld-thumb.png]

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.

This casting is lame.

Quote: (07-28-2016 04:27 PM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  

And this sentiment is lame too. I miss the days when all anyone gave a fuck about was the domestic market.

What else from my childhood can they rape?
I loved that watching that movie growing up.

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""

Two thoughts:

1. Why reboot a flop movie that has no Brand Value amongst the mass moviegoer audience, especially when every time Hollywood makes a decision based upon 'fan loyalty' to a niche brand, it doesn't translate into bums on seats.

I think the answer to question 1 is that Hollywood is completely out of ideas. They see a trend of making reboots of movies 20 to 30 years ago that young children today have never heard of. I didn't see the rocketeer 25 years go, but box office mojo says it made 45M in the USA with a 35M budget and zero information available about worldwide theater numbers and dvd infomation, but it probably wasn't that much. It had Jennifer Connely who would have been extremely hot back in 1991. If they had a really amazing idea on how to reboot the film to make it better, then I would get it. But they are like "let's make her a black female, that will generate huge numbers!"

Quote: (07-28-2016 04:48 PM)the high Wrote:  

This casting is lame.

And this sentiment is lame too. I miss the days when all anyone gave a fuck about was the domestic market.

That would be extremely shortsighted. Look at the warcraft film, it make almost nothing in the USA, but made 300+Million in china. Does that make it worth making? Absolutely. I didn't know warcraft was that popular in China, but apparently it is.

(((Max Winkler)))
(((Matt Spicer)))
(((Chaz Salembier)))

Not saying he's not wrong, just that it's lame. That's part of the reason why [mainstream] movies are so ass nowadays; you have all these markets to pander too.

I'm curious how the Black Panther movie coming out, with a majority Black cast, will do internationally. Probably have Scarlett Johansson with the biggest picture on the poster in China even though she only has a two minute cameo.

They'd be a lot better off making straight carbon copy remakes with new cast than doing all this social justice casting and narrative bullshit.

When are we getting a Ronda Rousey as Rambo reboot?

Quote: (07-28-2016 04:58 PM)spokepoker Wrote:  

What else from my childhood can they rape?
I loved that watching that movie growing up.

Well, at some point the Outrage-Meter just stops working....to pay too much attention to it just gives Hollywood too much power over us. This isn't going to stop any time soon, so categorise appropriately and stay focused.

Лучше поздно, чем никогда

...life begins at "70% Warning Level."....

Quote: (07-28-2016 05:27 PM)weambulance Wrote:  

When are we getting a Ronda Rousey as Rambo reboot?

Readies his "Saving Private Rhianna" quip....

At this rate they'll be re-making Straight outta Compton with British white kids at Eton College who go on a trip to some working class East End boroughs for work experience.

It would be a great way to blow it back......remake "Jackie Brown," "Shaft," and "Black Dynamite" with all-white casts.....Irish, even [Image: lol.gif]

an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African–American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War.

Let me guess.... hum.... another evil white man? Guaranteed!

Obviously these idiots didn't learn anything from the Ghostbuster disaster that is set to lose millions of dollars. Or the failed Supergirl TV show that has been dumped by CBS onto the weak CW network.

Quote: (07-28-2016 06:25 PM)username Wrote:  

an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African–American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jet-pack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War.

Let me guess.... hum.... another evil white man? Guaranteed!

Obviously these idiots didn't learn anything from the Ghostbuster disaster that is set to lose millions of dollars. Or the failed Supergirl TV show that has been dumped by CBS onto the weak CW network.

Supergirl, probably could have been an effective tv show for cbs but she wasn't busty enough.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M840c836d4de690480e8cd0b12e0be...=300&h=300]

the supergirl on Smallville, they could have just given her a series of her own.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M982cd38af229e1d2a7d3ad932ac11...=155&h=153]

Not that the cbs supergirl is not hot, but she needs more chest.

Having read the old and new Rocketeer material, this is really sad. A true-to-the-comics Rocketeer would appeal to everyone just like Captain America the First Avenger.

Every time I read about new reboot or series that is heavy handed on leftist's bull, I think about Frank Zappa's comment on the music industry.

This classic video on Zappa talking about the music industry is can be seen in the flops coming out of Hollywood today. The creative forces think they know better and believe their ideology superior to the masses. They live in their own little world that is separate from reality. When Tinseltown is in ruin, its only when their delusion are broken.

Quote: (07-28-2016 05:02 PM)eradicator Wrote:  

... It had Jennifer Connely who would have been extremely hot back in 1991.

From "Career Opportunities" (1991)

[Image: 34146-Jennifer-Connelly-Career-Opportunities-Horse.gif]

[Image: wb2.gif]

Quote:Darkwing Buck Wrote:  
A 5 in your bed is worth more than a 9 in your head.

Quote: (07-28-2016 10:04 PM)Sam Malone Wrote:  

Quote: (07-28-2016 05:02 PM)eradicator Wrote:  

... It had Jennifer Connely who would have been extremely hot back in 1991.

From "Career Opportunities" (1991)

[Image: 34146-Jennifer-Connelly-Career-Opportunities-Horse.gif]

Jennifer Connolly was special

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
– Bruce Lee

One must give value, but one must profit from it too, life is about balance

Quote: (07-28-2016 06:55 PM)eradicator Wrote:  

Supergirl, probably could have been an effective tv show for cbs but she wasn't busty enough.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M840c836d4de690480e8cd0b12e0be...=300&h=300]

the supergirl on Smallville, they could have just given her a series of her own.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M982cd38af229e1d2a7d3ad932ac11...=155&h=153]

Not that the cbs supergirl is not hot, but she needs more chest.

I can really start watching these girls, but the media doesn't like to hire them.

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
– Bruce Lee

One must give value, but one must profit from it too, life is about balance