rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Moving to NY for 1+ months to job-hunt and game?

I am a fresh grad with an MS in STEM but have found the job hunt for data science/quant jobs to be a total pain. I've applied for jobs for a year and gotten just 2 offers. I accepted one of them in the Bay Area but resigned (the other one came just after I accepted that 1st offer, and I didn't want to quit right after starting). I also was quite unhappy with the horrible ratios here

I've applied to many positions in NY but gotten no in-person interviews yet. A few companies would only hire local candidates. I at least got on-site interviews for companies in other cities like Chicago, LA, SF, Austin, etc.

But the reason I want to be in NY is because from browsing this forum it sounds like hands-down the best place to game in the US. I figure if I spend 1-2 months in NY and still can't get a job, at least my game skills should dramatically improve due to the abundance of targets and because I'm a beginner to game. I also really like that there's many foreign girls in NY as I prefer European and Asian girls. However, I don't know a single person in NY

I heard that if I use Airbnb and look for rent in Brooklyn or Manhattan the rent shouldn't be too bad and I'll live close enough to approach many girls

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea or a horrible one?

I think you should wait to land a job first, before moving there. NYC is the most expensive place on earth and living there without any income will leave you broke. This type of thing would work in Texas, Minneapolis, etc where rent is cheap, but not NYC. Keep applying and I'm sure you'll get a hit eventually. Maybe put something on your resume about relocating to NYC soon on your own dime to be closer to family.

Do not mix business (job search) with gaming women. You will end up doing only the later.
Focus on getting that job first.

I'm astonished that there are people (even foreigners) that move to this city without any kind of job. It's bad enough here with a job when it comes to expenses. New York has a lot going for it but it's not worth putting oneself in a worse financial situation.

Also, focus on improving yourself and your game where you are now. There may be a lot of targets in New York, but it's not some magic potion for a beginner.

Yes I was just in NYC and I had some people ask me for free data science work just to buff up their resume. Seems competitive.

Ignore the fear, follow the successful. Get a job bartending in the neighborhood where the people you're looking to work for frequent if you do not get a job in your desired area right away.

Consider the following:
http://wallstreetplayboys.com/managing-y...ll-street/
Quote:Quote:

anyone who can type over 50 words per minute can work for a temp agency and work as a bartender for income. Think about that one. Where do well off bankers cool off? Probably a good idea to work at a high end bar where there are a bunch of finance people and hook them up with girls/drinks. Wait… that is exactly how another one of our writers got his job… by being the “favorite” of a high roller in Manhattan… 6 months later the guy explained that he was a Managing Director at a Bulge bracket bank and offered him an analyst internship. Look around you… Is there anyone around you doing well? Then why are you even in that area.

If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is.

Disable "Click here to Continue"

My Testosterone Adventure: Part I | Part II | Part III | Part IV | Part V

Quote:Quote:
if it happened to you it’s your fault, I got no sympathy and I don’t believe your version of events.

Quote: (06-29-2016 07:05 AM)Rocha Wrote:  

Do not mix business (job search) with gaming women. You will end up doing only the later.

This is what I was going to say. Just do one. Preferably the job search.

If you really want something, it's better to do more than less. Pump your chances as much as possible, and that means putting in as much time as possible. Keep it simple.

Quote: (06-28-2016 10:59 PM)kongzi Wrote:  

But the reason I want to be in NY is because from browsing this forum it sounds like hands-down the best place to game in the US.

I thought that was Atlanta? lol

http://www.returnofkings.com/85102/5-rea...sexual-men

I figure if I spend 1-2 months in NY and still can't get a job, at least my game skills should dramatically improve due to the abundance of targets and because I'm a beginner to game.

Yeah man NYC can be great for beginners. I started game when I was 18, but I had moved away from NYC when I was 16. If I had gone to college down there instead of in Orange County holy shit I would have been a monster!

but that notion can also be a bit deceptive. I think girls have more of an attitude here. Simply because it's not as safe, bums and crazies are on certain corners, and people trying to hawk you stuff daily. It's not Iraq, but some girls tend to be on their guard here. You have to be aware of this if you're a beginner and it will make starting out a little more challenging.

This is on the street, though. Indoors things get better. I kinda wish I came when more bookstores were still around. R.I.P Boarders.

However, I don't know a single person in NY

check the NYC meetup thread. People are busy but hopefully one of us can help you out [Image: smile.gif]

I heard that if I use Airbnb and look for rent in Brooklyn or Manhattan the rent shouldn't be too bad and I'll live close enough to approach many girls

Consider a hostel. If you just wanna practice approaches for a while (which is what I am currently doing), A hostel would be great. It can be a cheaper place to stay for a job search as well.

If you're really hell bent on doing both, I would suggest job hunting from 8am-5pm and then appraches from 5pm-830 (if you're doing this in the summer you'll have the advantage of more daylight). The weekends are all yours.

Another radical idea: Save up some cash, spend at least two months here in a cheap craigslist room, and ONLY do game. You will be amazing in a very short time!

Just a thought [Image: wink.gif]

Good luck!

I am a fresh grad with an MS in STEM but have found the job hunt for data science/quant jobs to be a total pain. I've applied for jobs for a year and gotten just 2 offers. I accepted one of them in the Bay Area but resigned (the other one came just after I accepted that 1st offer, and I didn't want to quit right after starting). I also was quite unhappy with the horrible ratios here

I've applied to many positions in NY but gotten no in-person interviews yet. A few companies would only hire local candidates. I at least got on-site interviews for companies in other cities like Chicago, LA, SF, Austin, etc.

But the reason I want to be in NY is because from browsing this forum it sounds like hands-down the best place to game in the US. I figure if I spend 1-2 months in NY and still can't get a job, at least my game skills should dramatically improve due to the abundance of targets and because I'm a beginner to game. I also really like that there's many foreign girls in NY as I prefer European and Asian girls. However, I don't know a single person in NY

What do you guys think? Is this a good idea or a horrible one?

Horrible idea (unless your parents are footing the bill for you to live in NY and just "game" or you have a lot of money - talking 10s of 1000s of $ at the minimum if you will have no source of income upon arriving)

1) Like others have said, NY is horribly expensive - anywhere worth living (below Harlem in Manhattan but more ideally downtown Manhattan or maybe parts of Brooklyn right outside Manhattan like Williamsburg) you are dropping $2000-2500+ on your own place... and that's just rent alone (not to mention things like security deposit, etc). You need at least $4000-5000/month to get by and have a decent lifestyle that is conducive to picking up chicks vs. living way out in Queens/Brooklyn and/or with roommates

2) I don't know what you mean by "beginner to game" - that could mean anything from virgin to approach anxiety to I don't know - but 1-2 months isn't gonna make you a pussy slayer. I don't know where you are living now (I'm guessing Bay Area from your post?) but I'm sure there are some girls for you to try and smash

The pick up your shit and move somewhere might be more plausible in other cities but not NY given the insane living expenses (IMO it's not even worth moving to NY if you aren't living in prime Manhattan with your own place)

Also, I would argue getting a job and getting settled financially is much harder than "working on your game." I would definitely prioritize that first. Not to mention things will go a lot smoother when you got some $ and less financial worries vs. living in some shithole apartment with 3-4 roommates

New Post:
Men’s Style Guide: For Guys Who Want to Get Laid

You aren't getting laid because you still believe in "game".

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

https://whiteknightrises.com/start-here

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)

Not a good idea.

As others have mentioned, New York is too expensive to just pick up your things and hope for the best there. Not only that but the job market in New York City sucks. I lived in NYC a decade ago but finding a job there was frustrating. I did find a programming job but the pay was an absolute joke. Fortunately, I stayed with my family so I didn't have to stress over paying rent. I had to move to a different area to get paid anywhere near what I was worth.

If employers want a local candidate, get a local mail forwarding address or make up an address and apply for as many jobs as possible before you move. If you insist on coming to NY before getting an offer, at least have a bunch of interviews lined up before you arrive. Tell the employers you are currently visiting parents and will be back in NY on X date if they ask you where you are and when you will be available for face to face interviews.

The job market is very competitive as well. Don't count on getting an offer even if you are interviewing with a few companies. Just like women are flaky, so are employers.

About housing - your best bet for a short term is probably getting a room on airbnb. Consider staying in the suburbs and check out google maps for commute times to Downtown/Midtown where most jobs are.

Summer may be slow for finding work, so it may be a good idea to do prep work/applications before end of August and then moving to NY around August/September time.

Also, other posters are right that finding a good job is a lot more difficult than finding girls. Not that finding girls is easy either. There's too much hype about NY, but it's not for everybody.

Quote: (06-29-2016 07:05 AM)Rocha Wrote:  

I disagree.

I've gone 'door to door' job hunting before. I'm looking good, suited up, and I need to practice my charm and banter. I've found many parallels between landing a job and a chick.

I think it's a horrible idea. If you are going to look for a job then look for a job. It's too distracting to find a job and "learn" how to game girls. Attempting both of these things is a recipe for mediocrity. After you find a job you'll have plenty of time to work on gaming.

so where should I look for jobs? I've already sent many applications to companies in NY and the bay area. I heard Denver, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, Kansas, Minneapolis, and Austin are also good places for tech jobs. Which of these have the best F/M ratios?

Quote: (06-30-2016 12:45 AM)kongzi Wrote:  

so where should I look for jobs? I've already sent many applications to companies in NY and the bay area. I heard Denver, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Austin are also good places for tech jobs. Which of these have the best F/M ratios?

I would definitely avoid Boston and the Bay Area if you want to get laid. Those are two of the biggest SJW/feminist strongholds in the nation. I live just south of Beantown and while there are some lookers around here, overall the women are straight-up abrasive cunts, and game pretty much shuts down for four months out of the year as girls go into hibernation for the fierce winter. I don't know much about Philly.

I've been to Pittsburgh a few times, and while I didn't have much of a chance to game, it didn't immediately strike me as being someplace that would be hostile to it. Anectodally a buddy of mine met his girlfriend on an online dating site there, and she's pretty hot and seems like a solid LTR girl.

It's not really the ratio that matters so much. Toronto, DC, and Boston all look pretty good...on paper.

If you have the balls, bankroll, desire, and opportunity to move to NYC for a month or few to look for a job and some pussy go for it.

Worst case scenario you blow a few thousand dollars, get rejected by every company you approach, and jerk off every night because your game sucks.

Best case scenario you find a great job that pays your bills and more, you bang broads from all over the world, and you live in/near the baddest city in the world until you are ready for something else.

Reality will most likely fall somewhere in the middle.

What have you got to lose? A few months, a few grand, and the realization that you maybe aren't good enough to cut it? Then you just turn to plan b, which is most people's plan a, getting a mediocre job in a mediocre city, chasing mediocre pussy.

On the flip side, somebody is getting that job in NYC, somebody is banging that cute Eastern European au pair, and somebody is swinging their dick around NYC like they own the place. Might as well be you Kongzi.

I'm in the same boat as you, OP

Quote: (06-30-2016 12:45 AM)kongzi Wrote:  

so where should I look for jobs? I've already sent many applications to companies in NY and the bay area. I heard Denver, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, Kansas, Minneapolis, and Austin are also good places for tech jobs. Which of these have the best F/M ratios?

Look into the forum for more information on the states you want to go. Or search for information outside the forum. You should definitely listen to the advice most people are giving you here. As far as were you should go, it depends on what you want. If you want a state with great outdoors, choose Denver. If you want a "weird" state, go to Austin (Although, seeing the info in this forum, both have bad F/M ratio). Research and verify everything you need.

Lastly, good luck