rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Learning a language: a proven life-changing decision

I was inspired to start this thread by a post from Godzilla (yes, the fire-spitting monster mightily prowls the forum) :
thread-37535...pid1327344

"I guess come to think of it, I could try to spend my time learning Russian...
Another life decision, that in the end, probably doesn't matter."

So, as I obviously disagree with the beast's end-statement (probably doesn't matter), I wanted to ask you for proofs of the contrary, ask you for your own life experiences on how, learning a foreign language, has indeed changed your life!

I mean, those of us who learned, for example, Chinese, Russian, even Spanish, it so changed our lives, enabling us to travel and even work and settle in various, different countries - and of course, opening immense opportunities with foreign women...[Image: banana.gif]

So, if you can illustrate this with your own real-life stories, related to learning languages and the resulting life-changes, please do...

Quote: (06-18-2016 04:15 AM)Going strong Wrote:  

I was inspired to start this thread by a post from Godzilla (yes, the fire-spitting monster mightily prowls the forum) :
thread-37535...pid1327344

"I guess come to think of it, I could try to spend my time learning Russian...
Another life decision, that in the end, probably doesn't matter."

So, as I obviously disagree with the beast's end-statement (probably doesn't matter), I wanted to ask you for proofs of the contrary, ask you for your own life experiences on how, learning a foreign language, has indeed changed your life!

I mean, those of us who learned, for example, Chinese, Russian, even Spanish, it so changed our lives, enabling us to travel and even work and settle in various, different countries - and of course, opening immense opportunities with foreign women...[Image: banana.gif]

So, if you can illustrate this with your own real-life stories, related to learning languages and the resulting life-changes, please do...

Bit off topic (and it won't change my life, but who knows, Georgia could be a cool place to retire - and has very attractive visa rules), but I am currently trying to learn the georgian alphabet (that I find very elegant), as I have a high interest in the Caucasus region, which is for me the most captivating area of the planet (today more than 50 ethnic groups still call the Caucasus home, and it's quite fascinating that people who live sometimes at only 40 kilometers from each other don't speak the same language, don't use the same alphabet, and understand each other just when they speak russian).

A fascinating study indeed. Chechens don't speak the same language as Dagestanis, who don't speak the same language as Ingushs, who don't speak the same language as Georgians, who don't speak the same language as Azerbaijanis, who don't speak the same language as Ossetians, ect ect ect ... not even talking of the sub-groups in each language family - North Caucasian languages, South-Caucasian languages, Turk-Caucasian languages, ect. Just in just one republic, it can exist a dozen of ethnic groups and subgroups who speak different languages, like in Dagestan where there is Avars, Dargins, Kumyks, Lezgins, Laks, ect.

Stalin has a lot to do with that situation, as he created those independant republics and states (Georgians, Armenians and Azerbaijanis are the only Caucasian people that have their own independent states, the others have republics within the Russian Federation) under the principle "one people, one alphabet, one language, one nation". Soviet linguists even created specific alphabets for some ethnic groups that had a language but no alphabet, based on Cyrillic letters or a modified Latin alphabet.

The history of this region on the peripheries of Turkey, Iran and Russia, that has been an arena for political, military, religious, and cultural rivalries and expansionism for centuries is truly captivating. And notably through linguistic studies.

For example, Abkhaz, spoken in the breakaway Abkhazia part of Georgia, may be related to Hattic, which was spoken in Anatolia in classical times. There is even a dialect of Aramaic, a Semitic language that of course was the native tongue of Jesus.

"Imagine finding yourself in a predominantly mountainous region that is about the size of Spain. To your amazement, you discover dozens of different nations, each with its own language and alphabet. Why, in some places, people living in neighboring villages cannot understand one another! Medieval geographers must have felt similar amazement, for one described just such a region—the Caucasus—as “a mountain of tongues".

Straddling the Caucasus Mountains between the Black and Caspian seas, this region’s location is at a crossroads of continents and civilizations, which has given it a long history and rich culture. Its people are known for their respect for older ones, their love of dance, and their warm hospitality. But many visitors find the most fascinating aspect of the Caucasus to be its wide variety of ethnic groups and languages—more languages, in fact, than are spoken in any other region of its size."

Taking it easy in the Caucasus [Image: cool.gif] (sorry pic totally off topic !! [Image: smile.gif] but indeed, Georgia is a cool place)

It's weird but i'm sure most of the non-native english speaker can attest that learning english can change a life.
for me at least it did...
most of my friends, i'm talking 98%, don't know english, and as a result they are clueless in very important parts of life (game, self-development, career, politics). informations and knoweledge is little and non-abundant like in the us, so they are basically forced to do what people and parents tell them, which is always a bad advice!
i was fortunate enough to pick up english pretty quick and discover all sorts of things and now instead of ending up in blue collar job (nothing wrong with it!) like my parents wanted, i am now working towards a more ambitious career.
that's it, english saves lives.

Quote: (06-18-2016 05:55 AM)Il Sorpasso Wrote:  

most of my friends, i'm talking 98%, don't know english, and as a result they are clueless in very important parts of life

I teach English and I see this all the time -- professionals who don't see how their lack of good English is holding them back careerwise. International companies interview a bunch of candidates and end up hiring the one with the best English, not the one with the strongest professional skills.

Non-professionally, English is important for being able to learn about any hobby or area of interest you have. Like this forum, for example. The quantity and quality of how-to videos in English far exceeds those of other languages.

Absolutely agree. I can't count how many Latinas I banged because of my language ability. As outlined in another thread, I just go to Couchsurfing, look up travelling Latinas in my area, shoot them a message in Spanish/ Portuguese and if they respond, it's like taking candy from a baby.

In the past couple of weeks, I banged 2 mexicanas and 1 argentina that way. All of them were 7+ chicks and I guess that they were getting bombarded with messages. Mine stood out because I look as germanic as it gets and yet can speak Spanish like a chilango.

As Nelson Mandela put it: "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.."

English is the most important language world-wide. If you want to use software/program/read scientific articles, you need to know it. Compared to Chinese it is easy to learn. Is it even possible to program in "Chinese" aka Chinese word for "loop"?

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

(probably doesn't matter), I wanted to ask you for proofs of the contrary, ask you for your own life experiences on how, learning a foreign language, has indeed changed your life!

I had wanted to start a similar thread, but with a different theme.

I had noticed that learning a second language allowed me the opportunity to pick up a second personality of sorts. My word choice and manners when speaking the second language while still someone similar are quite different from when I speak English.

I learned the basics in college, but I taught myself how to actually speak Japanese through trial and error in various bars while living in Japan.

The biggest life changing "click" for me was when I finally came to the realization I had become fluent. I was on vacation in Korea and had ended up pulling this Japanese girl. She spoke no English, but was fluent in Korean and Japanese. After returning to Japan I noticed that I was able to not only speak to her at length but in a relaxed mood with no real hiccups in the conversations. There was no real need to pull out a dictionary, and the typical choppy conversation you initially have in a new language was all but absent.

This opened up the real Japan to me, which in turn allowed me to show it to those who visited me as well.

I was happily able to completely ditch the foreign crowd who never cared to learn the language, as your 4 closest friends are what you become that was nothing I wanted in my life.

Not long after that I had the chance to notice how easy it was the swap personalities out. I'd hear from time to time from my friends as we walked together and then they would suddenly stop and look surprised saying, "Hey, you know [name] I totally forgot you were a foreigner for a while."

This also helped me with training. Both Judo and MMA, the coaches would go out of their way to help me knowing that I could actually converse with them rather than try to teach me things through simple body movements with no explanation behind their purpose.

Learning Spanish has been the greatest thing that I have done to date. Not only do I save money/get free drinks and stuff at the local latin restaurants/markets in my city..... but as illustrated by many... it has opened up a plethora of opportunity with gorgeous Latin women abroad and in the USA.

There are many reasons as to why learning a foreign language is great. I am a more well-rounded person and just seeing the joyful expressions of the Spanish-speaking immigrants when I am back home on vacation makes it worth it.

It is a very enjoyable experience speaking in another language and you will definitely feel a huge sense of accomplishment when all is said and done. It's definitely an eye opening experience to the world and a great added bonus to the resume.

Quote: (06-18-2016 09:55 AM)cascadecombo Wrote:  

(probably doesn't matter), I wanted to ask you for proofs of the contrary, ask you for your own life experiences on how, learning a foreign language, has indeed changed your life!

I had wanted to start a similar thread, but with a different theme.

I had noticed that learning a second language allowed me the opportunity to pick up a second personality of sorts. My word choice and manners when speaking the second language while still someone similar are quite different from when I speak English.

I learned the basics in college, but I taught myself how to actually speak Japanese through trial and error in various bars while living in Japan.

The biggest life changing "click" for me was when I finally came to the realization I had become fluent. I was on vacation in Korea and had ended up pulling this Japanese girl. She spoke no English, but was fluent in Korean and Japanese. After returning to Japan I noticed that I was able to not only speak to her at length but in a relaxed mood with no real hiccups in the conversations. There was no real need to pull out a dictionary, and the typical choppy conversation you initially have in a new language was all but absent.

This opened up the real Japan to me, which in turn allowed me to show it to those who visited me as well.

I was happily able to completely ditch the foreign crowd who never cared to learn the language, as your 4 closest friends are what you become that was nothing I wanted in my life.

Not long after that I had the chance to notice how easy it was the swap personalities out. I'd hear from time to time from my friends as we walked together and then they would suddenly stop and look surprised saying, "Hey, you know [name] I totally forgot you were a foreigner for a while."

This also helped me with training. Both Judo and MMA, the coaches would go out of their way to help me knowing that I could actually converse with them rather than try to teach me things through simple body movements with no explanation behind their purpose.

Very interesting, the point you're making about how a second language that you master, will also slightly change your personality (especially when you're using it, abroad). I guess this is something common people used to sense, to perceive, in the past, when they didn't trust a leader who could speak a foreign language.

I mean, not so long ago, when I was a kid, French people for example would have disliked a president who'd have spoken fluent English (or any other language), because they understood that it means: he is not anymore 100% one of them, he has another, slightly different personality (and allegiance?).

(That is I guess, and for example, the reason you don't hear Obama speak Arabic, or well, you very rarely, if ever, hear V.Putin speak German...)

Anyway, myself, when I speak Russian, I do feel an immediate Alpha boost in my personality... is it because of memories of past successes achieved in FSU? is it the sheer power and beautiful complexity of this superior language? is it becoming, suddenly, kind of part of a strong, resilient Alpha people? I don't know, but it works!

Any additional language you learn makes you smarter. I am actually trilingual but plan to learn some more, just for culture sake and perhaps getting laid, still TBD. I currently speak French, English, and Thai.

However, learning a second language requires strong commitment, right learning methods, and total immersion. IMO it would be very hard to learn a language if people around you don't speak it, but some people have done it. I was able to go from "no speak Thai" to writing political opinion texts in under a year in the right conditions.

There is a very old mindset in the Anglosphere that makes English speakers think, "I speak the universal language so people should speak it too". This is totally wrong, and I think that everyone should at least be able to speak 2 languages. No need to be bilingual, but at least, be able to converse in another language.

I know Russian is popular here among forum members. But whatever language you choose, it'll make you smarter, feel better, and help you in everything.

We have an old joke in my hometown that goes,
"How do you call someone who speaks 3 languages?" -- Trilingual
"How do you call someone who speaks 2 languages?" -- Bilingual
"How do you call someone who speaks 1 language?" -- American

Even learning relatively 'small' or 'useless' languages like Estonian or Swahili will open many doors that you don't know exist at this point.

Each language I have learnt has added another dimension to my life.

Quote: (06-20-2016 03:56 AM)Tresor Wrote:  

Even learning relatively 'small' or 'useless' languages like Estonian or Swahili will open many doors that you don't know exist at this point.

Each language I have learnt has added another dimension to my life.

Do you mind expanding?

Quote: (06-20-2016 03:34 AM)Rawmeo Wrote:  

However, learning a second language requires strong commitment, right learning methods, and total immersion. IMO it would be very hard to learn a language if people around you don't speak it, but some people have done it.

I agree that a strong commitment and good methods are important, but immersion is neither necessary nor sufficient to become proficient in the major world languages (English, Spanish, etc.). Lots of people develop good skills (at least B2, upper intermediate) without having first lived where the language is spoken. ("Immersing" yourself in the language by studying a lot, 'thinking in the language' and watching media in that language is not immersion per se.)

Even with decades of immersion, failure is possible. Lots of adults never really learn the language of their new country. I'm thinking of the immigrant grocery clerks in the US who ask "You want bag?" They can communicate but not accurately.

For beginners, immersion is a particularly poor choice. Without a base in the language, you can't absorb most of what you hear around you. A better plan is to take a course first to get to advanced beginner or lower intermediate. Once you do that, you'll be in a better position to benefit from an immersion environment.

There is a very old mindset in the Anglosphere that makes English speakers think, "I speak the universal language so people should speak it too". This is totally wrong, and I think that everyone should at least be able to speak 2 languages.

For most native English speakers, especially Americans, not learning a second language is a rational decision. For short trips, you can get along in most places with only English. Obviously the situation is different if you plan on extended travel or living abroad.

I've been working on Russian and Spanish at the same time. It's not ideal, but it's been working for me. Being able to drop your english, and switch into conversation in another language is pretty awesome. While I'm not fluent in either (4/10 Russian), (6/10 Spanish), people are still impressed when you speak to them in their native tongue.

Not to mention the benefit learning a new language has on the brain.

But whatever language you choose, it'll make you smarter, feel better, and help you in everything.

Learned a bit of romanian (and know pretty well Romania), which is a quite easy language for us french, italians, ect. Didn't make me smarter nor changed my life. However, it helped.

My romanian language basics:

tits : tzitze
ass : fund, cur
to fuck : a fute
pussy : pasarica
dick : pula

Here are a few things to say to her :

- esti foarte draguta : you are very attractive (beautiful, charming, ect)
- imi placi foarte mult : I like you a lot
- ai un corp minumat : you have a nice body
- ai ochi frumosi/ tzitze frumosi/un fund frumoso : you have beautiful eyes/beautiful tits/a beautiful ass
- vreau sa-ti mananc pasarica : I want to eat your pussy
- ai pasarica uda : you have a wet pussy
- vreau sa-mi sugi pula : I want you suck my dick
- ma exit : it makes me excited
- vreau sa te fut : I want to fuck you
- vreau sa te fut pe la spate : I want to fuck you from behind

And a few things she might say to you :

- linge-mi pasarica : lick my pussy
- intra : come inside
- fute-ma: fuck me
- ia-ma din spate: take me from behind
- repede : faster
- incet : slower

For the romantics :

- iubirea mea :my love/darling
- te iubesc : I love you

Admittedly, my romanian is quite limited.

^^^^^^^

Ok, my bad, this last post was bit over the top ...I know most of you guys are interested in more academic and intellectual topics. [Image: smile.gif]

Beyond speaking English as a foreign language, what is your motivation to learn more other languages? English is necessary for everyone. Speaking and actually staying fluent in a third language does not make sense from a cost/benefit standpoint, if you don't plan to live in a country where the language is spoken. Staying there, say, 3 months a year, could also be sufficient motivation.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

If structured properly adding new language ability can be transformational.

I double-majored in a language in college, and the skill changed my life more than anything else I've ever done.

My second language got me in the door of, and helped me make, on average, about 10k-20k each year more than I would have if I didn't have a second language (i'm in a mid-level investment industry position w/o going into the details).

I've read many novels in their original language, that have enriched my life.

I ended up with a lot of p***y falling into my lap (mostly work & travel girls - new batch every year) that I would have never had access to without my language ability.

It took a lot of work, though - you always need to be on top of learning, reading, staying up with pop-culture (to keep your references fresh) to keep language mastery at its peak. If you don't love it, you can still learn and get good rewards, but you really need to put effort in and become proficient for you to obtain life-altering rewards and that requires love for the language and the gifts it brings.

Quote: (06-20-2016 09:20 AM)ElFlaco Wrote:  

Even with decades of immersion, failure is possible. Lots of adults never really learn the language of their new country. I'm thinking of the immigrant grocery clerks in the US who ask "You want bag?" They can communicate but not accurately.

For beginners, immersion is a particularly poor choice. Without a base in the language, you can't absorb most of what you hear around you. A better plan is to take a course first to get to advanced beginner or lower intermediate. Once you do that, you'll be in a better position to benefit from an immersion environment.

""You want bag?" They can communicate but not accurately.", Or they're actually threatening to send you their bagman?... Unless it's a female foreign cashier, and she's asking you if you want a... bang [Image: wink.gif]?

[Image: large_1k6D7VBPftQwJPI6g9DAuAo2bXb.jpg]

For beginners, immersion is a particularly poor choice. Without a base in the language, you can't absorb most of what you hear around you. A better plan is to take a course first to get to advanced beginner or lower intermediate: Golden advice. Many beginners make the (lazy) mistake of saying, Hey I'll go to this or that country and start learning - in some painless, miraculous, sponge-like way? - their language. It does not work like that, you first need to learn some serious grammar, on your own.

Japanese
I lived in Japan for a couple of years over a decade ago. My Japanese was minimally conversational by the time I left, and my comprehension was not great outside of business. Not putting a greater effort and not taking lessons reduced the quality of my experience living there. Even though I never became fluent it opened up new ways of thinking and understanding things. Today it is certainly good to make a girl fall off her bar stool or shock a tourist.

Spanish
I learned Spanish in the US with Dominican and other Latina GFs, on the street, and in workplaces in Miami. I am very fluent and can hold conversations on any subject with any type of Spanish speaker (Argentine, Venezuelan, Cuban, Spanish etc.) It has opened up many many new experiences that I would have not otherwise been able to have. It has made friends and colleagues easy about being "themselves" around me because if you are around Latinos you will notice many of them will not speak Spanish if you are the only non Spanish speaker. Even if there are 8 Latinos and 1 gringo they will all stiffen up and speak English out of courtesy. I have conducted entire over million dollar transactions in only Spanish. I have broken into markets people called impossible for an American because of having learned Spanish. I can speak and understand a special Miami mix of Spanish and English switching within sentences. I made a Brazilian girl's jaw drop the other day because she has known me a while and "didn't think you could speak Spanish." Most of my Latin America travel was after moderate or fluent Spanish ability and this makes the travel easier and opens the door to more depth of experience. For pickup or game, with tourists you can use it right away to let them know you will be able to communicate. For locals in the US you keep it a secret until the appropriate moment.

Portuguese
Working on it.

Chinese or Korean or Russian
Dream list.

So to answer GS question it DOES make a difference. It is one of the ultimate tools in business, game, and life.

Learning languages should be part of every man's personal development; not only does it challenge you, the benefits from speaking several languages are numerous.

English: World's most widely spoken language. As someone has mentioned above,

Quote: (06-18-2016 05:55 AM)Il Sorpasso Wrote:  

It's weird but i'm sure most of the non-native english speaker can attest that learning english can change a life.
for me at least it did...
most of my friends, i'm talking 98%, don't know english, and as a result they are clueless in very important parts of life (game, self-development, career, politics). informations and knoweledge is little and non-abundant like in the us, so they are basically forced to do what people and parents tell them, which is always a bad advice!
i was fortunate enough to pick up english pretty quick and discover all sorts of things and now instead of ending up in blue collar job (nothing wrong with it!) like my parents wanted, i am now working towards a more ambitious career.
that's it, english saves lives.

Mandarin: Although Mandarin is my native language, I prefer speaking English and have not had as much opportunity to use Mandarin. I used to read works of chinese literature and philosophy when I was younger, but have stopped in recent times. Being able to speak mandarin has come in useful so many times with girls from China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore etc who didn't speak English. I've also realised that when I speak Mandarin, I think differently and express myself, which I would otherwise not, differently from if I were to speak English, even though I were to elucidate the same point I would in English.

Cantonese: Same as Mandarin. Less useful, because less people speak it. Having said that, it has 6 tones compared to Mandarin, which has 4 tones.
I looked into learning Thai, which has 5 tones, and realised that I nailed all the tones quite easily, in spite of the fact that I've never received proper training in pronounciation.

Russian: Not as intimidating as it seems. Numerous Russian-English cognates like Doctor, Engineer, Match etc... As someone else has mentioned above, I do feel more alpha when I speak Russian. I have to work on my accent, grammar and conjugation. But, having said that, it is a huge DHV when I speak Russian to Russian girls.

Notwithstanding this, there are again, many more benefits to speaking Russian than chasing pussy. My goal is to reach fluency within 5 years so that I may read works of Russian literature, prose and philosophy.

Korean: I am contemplating learning Korean purely to talk to Korean women. I'm not sure if my knowledge of mandarin would help me with learning Korean, but nevertheless, I will have to decide if it is worth investing in.

I was always in awe of people who could speak more than one language, even if their second language was English. Making progress towards the very people I am in awe of does wonders for my own self-esteem and self-actualisation.

The fact that Polish is a difficult language also brings that extra challenge, challenge being something I have generally sought in the past 5 years because I spent my early 20's rotting away on video games and porn.

So far results have gone no further than impressing people and making me have a unique property compared to my native compatriots, I haven't been on any dates with non-English speakers nor entered a career where Polish is required.

Quote: (08-21-2016 01:36 AM)AntiMediocrity Wrote:  

I was always in awe of people who could speak more than one language, even if their second language was English. Making progress towards the very people I am in awe of does wonders for my own self-esteem and self-actualisation.

The fact that Polish is a difficult language also brings that extra challenge, challenge being something I have generally sought in the past 5 years because I spent my early 20's rotting away on video games and porn.

So far results have gone no further than impressing people and making me have a unique property compared to my native compatriots, I haven't been on any dates with non-English speakers nor entered a career where Polish is required.

Can you elaborate on having a unique property?

Quote: (08-21-2016 04:42 AM)Agreddor Wrote:  

Can you elaborate on having a unique property?

If it wasn't obvious already, I meant property as in characteristic. Not housing property, heh.

So the learning curve and practicality of learning Polish is so high and low respectively that many, many non polish natives are completely averse to learning Polish, even at a basic level. Even guys who have dated a Pole for 5+ years and lived here for just as long barely know a word. So it's not just my native compatriots, however it goes without saying that I will be compared to British stags or UK love migrants moreso than Italians, Spaniards et al.

So speaking in Polish demonstrates immediate value. Even if it's simply "Sorry but I don't understand, my Polish is poor. I'm English" (Przypraszam ale nie rozumiem, słabo znam Polski. Jestem Anglikiem), you will 95% of the time be returned with "łał, bardzo mowicz po Polsku (Wow, you speak very good Polish) or some derivative of that.