rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Trade skills/ Union work

Trade skills/ Union work

Hello everyone,

I want to start out by saying thanks to everyone who has contributed to this section of the forum. It has helped me IMMENSELY and I have learned heaps of useful information in transforming my life around.

I'm currently in my mid 20's and have been living in Colombia for the past few years. It's been great but I'm itching to go back home (USA) and earn money and set up a good lifestyle for myself.

To keep this short, I have decided that a good way to go would be to learn a trade skill and then open my own business. I am deciding between becoming an electrician and becoming AC qualified or getting into pipefitting/plumbing and if becoming an apprentice in a union is the best way to get started in the field as far as skills/income potential. Also, being bilingual in Spanish/English, I would like to get into a growing trade field where I could work with immigrants and use my language skills.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Trade skills/ Union work

I'm an eight year member of the United Association of plumbers and pipefitters and will likely stay with them until I can retire. I'm not sure if things work differently in the US but basically if you want to join a union then look up the nearest local and stop by to introduce yourself and see if they are accepting apprentices. You may have to write a test, do a drug and alcohol test then wait for a call and you'll get on as a first year which is basically a helper and you'll learn the basics of the trade and eventually go back to school and write some tests then become a second year. You do the same thing for 3-5 years (depending on the trade) and eventually become a journeyman. If you can't get on with a union shop (it can be difficult) then knock on some non-union doors to see if you can get an apprenticeship started. Another way in would be to take a course at a local vocational school

Most of my friends are tradesmen too and we live pretty decent lives, especially us that worked in Alberta during the oil boom, I've run into more than a few legit blue collar millionaires. Then again I know a lot of guys who blew all of their cash on hookers, blow and big trucks too. Here's some specific advice I can give on the trades:

Pick one you can see yourself doing for 5-10 years: Check out some Youtube videos, call a local contractor and see if you can stop by a job site for a visit, call the union, etc. You will need to work for at least 5 years "on the tools" before you can advance or start your own business. Contrary to popular belief, just because you begin a trade, it doesn't mean that you'll be doing manual labour for the next 30-40 years. On commercial/industrial job site, the advancement ladder looks like this: tradesman-foreman-general foreman-superintendent

There's a lot of other related jobs that aren't on the tools which you could get into such as safety, QA/QC, planner/scheduler, dispatch, etc. Really its up to you but having a journeyman ticket in a trade can open a lot of doors, if you take night classes or online courses and get a degree in management then you could get into the office pretty easily.

Pick a trade that works in a variety of industries: Electrician and plumber are two of the best since you can work in residential/commercial/industrial so if one sector slows down then you can just bounce to the next. I have a few buddies who started out wiring houses as first year electricians, then moved onto office towers and finally ended up in the oil sands doing heavy industrial work, they are well rounded tradesmen and when they aren't working up north, they wire people's houses for cash. Unfortunately a pipefitter, millwright or industrial insulator won't find work in the residential sector, which is non union anyway.

Move to where the work is: I'm not too familiar with the markets in the US but pick your destination wisely, you want to go somewhere busy so you're not sitting on your ass too much waiting for a call. Find out where there's a housing boom going on, where they're putting up lots of office towers/arenas/infrastructure or where there heavy industrial expansion going on. The union websites are a good place for this.

Work Safe: This is priority #1, people get killed and injured on job sites every day. Union companies tend to have better safety records but shit happens everywhere, no amount of money is worth losing a limb or your life, so pay attention at all times and always wear proper PPE.

That's about all I have for now, I've been at this for almost a decade now and I still like working in a blue collar environment where I can act like a man and not have to worry about being politically correct at work. It's a lot of fun too, a job site is like one big locker room where a bunch of men scream and yell all day, tell jokes and bust each other's balls non-stop, if you have any other questions just let me know.

UNIONS:

Electrical- http://www.ibew.org/
Carpenters- https://www.carpenters.org/Home.aspx
Operators- http://www.iuoe.org/
Iron Workers- http://www.ironworkers.org/

Trade skills/ Union work

I'm a member of the untied brotherhood of carpenters. A lot of work has gone non union up here, but the union still survives because they are the safest, most well trained, and best at maintenance especially. It wouldn't hurt for you to join a union in my opinion, but pick a trade first

Trade skills/ Union work

Thanks a ton for the responses. That was very helpful for me. I'm going to head back state side in a few months and will ask around at some of the electrical unions. After spending the past few weeks looking over videos on youtube, that is the most likely route I see myself taking.

I definitely wish I was around during the Fort McMurray days! Must have been nice. How often do you guys work a week and what is your vacation time like at this stage in your careers?

Trade skills/ Union work

Ive had shifts that were anywhere from 21/7, 14/7, to 7/7 and my absolute favourite the 14 and 14! Right now its a 14/7 coming to a close soon, so i'll be back on the war path soon

Trade skills/ Union work

Quote: (06-16-2016 12:30 PM)musashi Wrote:  

I'm a member of the untied brotherhood of carpenters. A lot of work has gone non union up here, but the union still survives because they are the safest, most well trained, and best at maintenance especially. It wouldn't hurt for you to join a union in my opinion, but pick a trade first

You guys also have some of the highest pension contributions in the trades, $7.25/hour, isn't it? Mine is $5.50, I wish they'd increase it, I'd even take a cut in pay if it meant a raise in the pension. I know a few older fellas who are now drawing their pensions and they can double dip by coming back for a few weeks a year to work shut downs, mostly for beer money, vacations or toys.

Quote: (06-16-2016 12:55 PM)Jl65514 Wrote:  

Thanks a ton for the responses. That was very helpful for me. I'm going to head back state side in a few months and will ask around at some of the electrical unions. After spending the past few weeks looking over videos on youtube, that is the most likely route I see myself taking.

I definitely wish I was around during the Fort McMurray days! Must have been nice. How often do you guys work a week and what is your vacation time like at this stage in your careers?

When you're on the job, you usually work everyday, 10-12 hour shifts although with the recent cut backs, 10s are now the norm. We don't get paid vacation, you can accrue vacation pay but I get mine paid out on each pay cheque at 10% of my hourly rate. Basically I work as much as I can from April until November then leave the country for the winter because Alberta is so damn cold. However, I recently landed a maintenance gig up in Fort Mac that I was supposed to start last week but I ended up having to cover for another technician at a fertilizer plant out of province, I should be in the Mac in a few days.

Quote: (06-16-2016 01:19 PM)musashi Wrote:  

Ive had shifts that were anywhere from 21/7, 14/7, to 7/7 and my absolute favourite the 14 and 14! Right now its a 14/7 coming to a close soon, so i'll be back on the war path soon

The new gig I"m starting is 14/14 and I'm pretty stoked although it is a bit too much time off, I"m hoping to pick up some work around Fort Mac or Edmonton on my days off until it starts snowing then I"ll be fucking off to Mexico or wherever on my 14 off.

Shut downs: Every industrial plant out there is required to do maintenance shut downs or turn arounds in order to remain insured by the big companies like Lloyds of London. Usually these jobs last 1-4 weeks but sometimes they can be quite long like 3-6 months or even longer. The industrial plants will put a call out to the unions who will hire members for the shut down, once its over, you're free to do whatever you want and you will be cashed up so if you're like me, you'll gtfo and travel somewhere. These jobs happen all over the country, so you could be a road whore and live out of a suit case and chase work all over the country in nuke plants, oil refineries, fertilizer plants, pulp/paper mills, power generation stations, etc.

Check out this website and you'll see a ton of jobs for a variety of short term maintenance gigs in the US: https://www.roadtechs.com/

Trade skills/ Union work

I found a job on that site (there's a lot of them) that basically sums up what I wrote about in the above post: https://www.roadtechs.com/const/wwwboard...nbr=415695

Its a 6 month job and the schedule is 6 days on, 1 off, 10 hour days. The pay rate for electricians and pipefitters is about $30/hour and you get $100/day per diem (tax free), they also pay for your travel there and back home (flights or gas mileage if you drive). It likely will look like this:

Monday to Friday:
8 hours per day at straight time- 30X8=240
2 hours per day OT at 1.5X- 45x2=90
240+90=330

Saturday:
10 hours at 1.5X- 45X10=450

Sundays off

So your weekly gross pay would be 330x5+450=2100
Plus you get $100/work day per diem which is non taxable so add on another $600. Lets say your gross is $2700/week and you finish the 6 month job, 2700X26=70,200

70 Gs isn't too bad for 6 months work, that buys a lot of beers in a place like Mexico or Thailand, or you could always pack your car up and chase the next short term job.

Of course, depending on the job, if they get behind on schedule, which often happens, you could end up working 7 days per week and longer hours like 12s+. The numbers posted would be the minimum, you could end up making 90-100K on that job.

That particular job is in Nevada, Iowa which probably sucks balls but at least you won't be tempted to spend all of your money, hotels there are surprisingly expensive ($100+ on Booking.com) but you could always look online for a cheap furnished apartment or to rent a room, or get a house with other tradesmen or if you have a truck, haul a travel trailer with you which is what a lot of road whores do, the per diem more than pays for it in a couple of years.

If you spend a bit of time on that site, you'll find jobs like that one all over the place in a bunch of different industries and trades.

From Kellog, Browan and Root (a fucking gangster company): http://investors.kbr.com/investors/press...fault.aspx

Quote:Quote:

KBR (NYSE: KBR) today announced it has been awarded a contract for engineering and procurement services for DuPont’s first cellulosic ethanol plant in Nevada, Iowa.

KBR will provide front-end engineering, detailed engineering and procurement services to DuPont’s Industrial Biosciences Group for this first-of-a-kind plant to be constructed in the Midwest United States. The ethanol facility is designed to process 1,300 tons per day of corn stover and produce 27.5 million gallons of ethanol per year. The cellulosic ethanol product will be used as a blending component in gasoline by fuel manufacturers and will enable them to meet U.S. EPA-mandated requirements for ethanol derived from cellulosic sources.

KBR is executing the project from its Wilmington, Del. Operations Center, a bio fuels center of excellence. Ground breaking is scheduled for the second half of 2012 with a 12-18 month construction period.

Trade skills/ Union work

Great, thanks for the website and the tips. I don't think it gets much better than Nevada, Iowa haha sounds like a hoppin' town.

That's definitely a sacrifice I'd be willing to make for that kind of money and time off.