rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"All Experience Is Equal"

Roosh wrote a very compelling article a few years ago. I'm pretty sure I read it before, but this time around it's given me much to think about.

It's not long so I won't bother with a synopsis, but I will paste it here.

Thoughts? I find this an interesting subject to say the least.

Quote:Quote:

All Experience Is Equal

There was a man who had two job offers on the table. One job was at a large corporation. The pay was high and he would work with the eminent experts in his field, but the company’s culture was boring and there were many layers of stifling bureaucracy. The second offer was at a startup. The pay was low, but the stock options meant a small chance of getting rich in an IPO. The culture was fun, with a segway scooter that could be used during work hours, but the work environment was raw, with not even an IT guy to help solve computer problems. The company may not survive the year.

The gain and loss from either experience is the same. There is no difference. The benefit of one will be balanced by the loss of the other, and less than one hour of this man’s time should be spent in reaching a decision.

The rich man’s stress and anxiety is balanced by the impoverished man’s leisure. The entertainer’s fame is balanced by the humble man’s privacy. The explorer’s adventure is balanced by the government official’s comfort and stability. Nature favors balance and equilibrium, preventing one man’s life, as a whole, from exceeding the other. This is obvious when listening to the dreams of men; they always pick a quality that their opposite has. The rich man dreams of leisure while the homeless man dreams of wealth. The entertainer dreams of privacy while the office clerk wants to be a star. No matter what you achieve, there will be a quality you lack, and movement to the other extreme in order to satisfy it will merely bring upon another missing ingredient.

Nature’s balance must be recognized and obeyed, not fought or analyzed. Any perceived benefit to one decision over the other is due to your own bias and character. The horny man will be more satisfied if he picks Thailand over Saudi Arabia, but taking into account his whole organism, and not just his penis, he will suffer no loss in Saudi Arabia, where time freed from chasing women can be spent on growing a business or reading books. There is no incorrect choice. What you gain from one you lose in another. All is equal in nature’s ledger.

A man is faced with dating either a girl who is a 9 or one who is a 7. He picks the 9, a choice that most men would make. He is validated with her in public when many other people stare at his catch. His ego is stroked, and he enjoys her beauty. But she is harder to manage. Suitors keep sending her offers of courtship, and it is a constant challenge for him to prove he is better than them all. She puts little effort into the relationship and the sex is average. She inevitably dumps him for a better man.

He then seeks out the 7. He apologizes for passing on her. She accepts his apology and they enter a relationship. She provides him with no ego validation, but relations with her are easier and more enjoyable. She becomes his sex slave in bed. Her profuse affections make him feel loved, but at the same time he is frustrated at seeing many girls on the street who are more beautiful than her. He is constantly filled with a need to do better. He takes a break from the relationship to travel to a country where he heard beautiful women are plentiful and easy.

In the eyes of nature, both girls are equal. They gave no overall difference to the man’s happiness—they just provided different kinds of happiness.

It is not important to use logic in making decisions, because nature doesn’t operate on logic. While there are exceptions to this rule that stem from a lack of virtue, such as killing a man and then losing one’s freedom, it makes little difference if you pick one job over another, one girl over another, one country over another.

Most decisions in life offer two propositions: one is easier but makes you weaker while one is harder but makes you stronger. One month you can be weak, and the next month you can be strong, or vice versa. It makes no difference. Only a fool who denies human nature uses computations in deciding on a course, because it is a guarantee that those computations are incorrect, and don’t agree with nature’s formula. In the entirety of your being, outcomes are the same. Your penis may hate you in Saudi Arabia, but your brain and liver will love you. Your bank account will hate you in the startup, but your adventurous and entrepreneurial spirit will thank you.

I picked a wrong city to live in for two months. It’s boring and dull. That’s fine, because I can work hard. Another time I picked poosy paradise. Everything is great, and I’m bedding many women. But I did no work, and now I’m fatigued and short on money. It then becomes the right time to pick a boring city again. This is the cycle of nature, where the order of one experience over the other, or the conscious application of logic, makes no difference to the final benefit (or detriment) to your self.

You can’t appreciate the good unless you’ve experienced the bad. You can’t enjoy wealth unless you’ve been poor. You can’t enjoy women unless you’ve gone without them. The contradiction of life is that what you see as failure is actually needed to enjoy success, and success is then needed to make you complacent and revert back to failure, which then pushes you back to success. This is what nature prefers, and by starting experiences without doing a cost-benefit analysis, without agonizing over needless details, you are like water in the river of existence. Attempting to manage your experience with logic and predictions, or developing firm expectations in an unfirm world, will only lead to suffering and stagnation. You must let go and flow with outcomes, one after the other, squeezing out the pleasures of life, whether sweet or bitter, before moving on to the next experience in store. Taste life as it is, and enjoy the balance that is the destiny for us all, no matter where our journey finally ends.

http://www.rooshv.com/all-experience-is-equal

I agree with this entirely, however I think the universe balances people out with each other as well. Basically the next level up from this.

You have an awesome week, things go your way and opportunities present themselves. Meanwhile, the guy you work with all day has the whole world cave in on him.

Don't get too complacent, next week it could be you.