rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What are some forgotten rules of etiquette that every man should know?

I'd say that an effort to show up on time is a huge one and tipping, either cabs, waiters or others in the service industry is huge (I was a busboy turned waiter in college, so I get that we lived off of tips). What are your thoughts? Wish we'd bring back some rules for girls/women, too.

A lot of guys don't know that you are supposed to have some clean washcloths and towels available for her to clean up with after you surprise her by coming on her face.

Just something that every polite man should have in his personal courtesies arsenal.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Seems almost 80% of America has forgotten that chewing with your mouth open is disgusting. It's not just that it makes you look like you were raised by incompetent parents on a farm in the middle of nowhere but as far as success in life and in the business world, it can reflect extremely poorly on you.

Table manners, one of the most important branches of etiquette has largely disappeared due to poor parenting and a decline in social skills/values.

I personally don't associate with those with poor table manners or who chew with their mouths open, men or women. Those you surround yourself with reflect strongly on you, the individual. When I sit down to eat you can be damned if you think I'll sit there listening to or be accompanied by someone chewing like a cow.

Having some KY ready for those special moments when you go in the backdoor is a nice touch. Something that demonstrates you're a well-bred gentleman and not some run of the mill riff-raff.

[Image: KY_Jelly_0102crop__44032.1330037241.1280.1280.jpg]

I'm the King of Beijing!

Really just the golden rule is important to me. Etiquette bothers me b/c some of the people who best adhere to societal etiquette standards are some of the worst when it comes to how they treat other people. For instance, I know people who think it's perfectly acceptable to call others stupid or dumb when they disagree yet think swearing (not at someone, just in general) is a cardinal sin.

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

Remember guys, manners dont cost anything...

I've always done well with simple chivalrous acts such as opening a car door for a woman. Most are surprised and giggle while saying 'wowwww' when I do it. Of course I then proceed to fuck the living shit out of them, slap their ass and pull their hair.

One example of forget etiquette that all guys should remember is to always have that spare toothbrush laying around still in its packaging, so that your new friend can brush your pubic hair out of her teeth.

She'll appreciate this civilized attention to detail.

I'm the King of Beijing!

It's forum etiquette (which by default relates to men, and more specifically - the OP) to bring some value to the forum by starting threads that impart some form of knowledge (which you could easily obtain by researching the internet), as opposed to starting 26 threads over the span of 3 months that end in a "?"

Don't wear a fucking hat indoors.

If you're in a professional environment dealing with clients, or giving a presentation of some sort, don't chew gum.

Biggest one for me: if you need to check your phone, step to the side of the walkway to do so, out of the way of other people walking. I've started intentionally shoulder-checking people who are blocking the flow of foot traffic walking 1m/hr in front of me, or letting them walk into me when they're approaching me and not looking up.

Quote: (03-12-2016 12:55 AM)InsertNameHere Wrote:  

If you're in a professional environment dealing with clients, or giving a presentation of some sort, don't chew gum.

Biggest one for me: if you need to check your phone, step to the side of the walkway to do so, out of the way of other people walking. I've started intentionally shoulder-checking people who are blocking the flow of foot traffic walking 1m/hr in front of me, or letting them walk into me when they're approaching me and not looking up.

This is something i started to do as well.
When they look at me i usually give them a good mean look/stare down.
They usually apologize and continue on their way.

Quote: (03-12-2016 01:49 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

Quote: (03-12-2016 12:55 AM)InsertNameHere Wrote:  

This is something i started to do as well.
When they look at me i usually give them a good mean look/stare down.
They usually apologize and continue on their way.

I've been doing this to the morons that can't be bothered to let passengers off of a subway car before forcing their way on.

Don't worry, dumbasses. The train won't leave until everyone is aboard.

I can somewhat understand this behavior when their isn't enough room on the train for everyone who wants to get on, but when the traffic isn't at peak levels, there's really no justifiable reason for this stupidity.

I'm the King of Beijing!

When walking on the sidewalk with a girl, man walks on the side closest to traffic.

When helping a girl into the car, take her hand as she steps in. Helping a girl out will have the man step out first and offer his hand to the girl as she steps out.

When crossing a huge puddle...fuck that. Walk somewhere else.

Quote: (03-12-2016 01:54 AM)Suits Wrote:  

I've been doing this to the morons that can't be bothered to let passengers off of a subway car before forcing their way on.

Don't worry, dumbasses. The train won't leave until everyone is aboard.

I can somewhat understand this behavior when their isn't enough room on the train for everyone who wants to get on, but when the traffic isn't at peak levels, there's really no justifiable reason for this stupidity.

This is similar to idiots that wait for an elevator at close proximity to the doors (mostly women actually), without forethought that there may be people in there needing to exit. Even worse when they mindlessly attempt to enter.

Another one - letting women in and out of the elevator first.

Quote: (03-12-2016 02:12 AM)Windom Earle Wrote:  

Heck no. Until there is a housewife in every kitchen, they can politely enter the elevator in the order that they arrived.

[Image: picture-5.png]

[Image: Woman-Equality-396.jpg]

[Image: 082615_Celebrating-Women%E2%80%99s-Equality-Day.jpg]

I'm the King of Beijing!

If you don't know something, say "I don't know". Don't procure some 'opinion' out of your butthole and present that as an answer. That's rude. You've just left the question-asker in a worse position than he was before. He's lost time, he's become irritated, he may even be misled. Promptly saying "Sorry, I don't know" is polite.

Quote: (03-12-2016 03:55 AM)Suits Wrote:  

Heck no. Until there is a housewife in every kitchen, they can politely enter the elevator in the order that they arrived.

Hypothetical question - you're standing in the elevator with your boss (male) and a woman. Your boss values manners/etiquette. The lift doors open and everyone is getting out.

Do you:

A - let the woman out first, appeasing your boss; or
B - stick to your guns and exit before her, making for an awkward situation.

I've recently found that people who yell when they talk annoy the hell out of me, especially if its in a public place such as a cafe or bar. When dealing with such individuals I always get an urge to walk out.

Also, interrupting others before they finish what they have to say. Ugh.

Quote: (03-12-2016 05:26 AM)Windom Earle Wrote:  

Quote: (03-12-2016 03:55 AM)Suits Wrote:  

Hypothetical question - you're standing in the elevator with your boss (male) and a woman. Your boss values manners/etiquette. The lift doors open and everyone is getting out.

Do you:

A - let the woman out first, appeasing your boss; or
B - stick to your guns and exit before her, making for an awkward situation.

Irrelevant, I work for myself running a company that I have 100% ownership of just so that I can avoid these silly situations.

My clients are completely aware of how I view women and they either agree or don't care.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (03-11-2016 06:10 PM)johnbozzz Wrote:  

I'd say that an effort to show up on time is a huge one and tipping, either cabs, waiters or others in the service industry is huge (I was a busboy turned waiter in college, so I get that we lived off of tips).

IF they provide a good service.

The trouble with more wealthy countries that have tipping is its almost expected even if the service is shit.
Yet countries where there is no tipping but they staff do great work just because that is their fucking job.

Fucking scumbag taxi drivers trying to rip you off zone wise/longer routes.

I try to avoid the almost "strip club" restaurants where the women fawn all over you but would run you over to get a dollar outside the place...I can't stand that fake shit.

FWIW I tip very well but its been more than once I've felt like I had to leave money even when the service wasn't good....

Don't block both sides of the escalator. One of the sides is for passing. It's annoying when you're in a rush and some whale is standing in the middle of the escalator.

Quote: (03-12-2016 03:57 PM)WeekendCasanova Wrote:  

Don't block both sides of the escalator. One of the sides is for passing. It's annoying when you're in a rush and some whale is standing in the middle of the escalator.

Here's a guide to proper escalator use.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (03-11-2016 06:10 PM)johnbozzz Wrote:  

I'd say that an effort to show up on time is a huge one and tipping, either cabs, waiters or others in the service industry is huge (I was a busboy turned waiter in college, so I get that we lived off of tips). What are your thoughts? Wish we'd bring back some rules for girls/women, too.
I recommend reading the ebook version of Emily Post's etiquette (the most updated edition); some if it is a little too prim and proper but it's easy to filter it out and it provides a good foundation.

As far as I know almost no one actually gets "taught" etiquette anymore.

Don't be a dick or a cunt to somebody you don't know or have little or no rapport with, especially when you are in their home. A lot of women in particular seem to have an issue with this.

Closing your mouth when you eat. Best one.