rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do you determine whether a protein powder will be fast absorbing after a workout?

How do you determine whether a protein powder will be fast absorbing after a workout?

Are there specific ingredients I should look for in a powder which will ensure that it will be quickly absorbed post-workout?

Whatever is most insulinogenic, if I understand correctly.
So whey > casein.

Quote: (03-11-2016 05:21 PM)Hades Wrote:  

Whatever is most insulinogenic, if I understand correctly.
So whey > casein.

And whey over plant based? I've tried whey based and plant based(pea protein) powder that's 20g of protein per serving.

If you're eating 6 times a day you shouldn't have to worry too much.

Generally, "blended" protein powders ensure a slow, steady release of protein into the blood stream.

I never bought into the science that the body can only absorb 30 grams of protein per meal (or whatever it is now). Get a protein powder that scores high on labdoor and focus your energies on training and hitting your daily macros and sleep.

Fast or slow absorbing, it doesn't really matter much until you're at an elite level of physical fitness. Focus on the big picture.

I can't find the exact chart but this one here is pretty good.

[Image: 943ad42ccbc405c4e09dae65228e9ea4.png]

What you'll find is that some of the more hyped up powders are heavily protein spiked with the cheaper amino acids. You can do some more reading on protein spiking, but the general idea is that certain companies will use cheap amino acids to artificially increase the protein content. Technically, the protein is there, but since it is not a complete source of protein, the body can't use it very effectively.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Interesting, didn't know this was a thing but apparently it does make a difference. Pea protein is low in methionine which is necessary for growth - children with low methionine diets will be stunted. Presumably this would have a similar effect on muscle growth. Downside to high methionine diets is a reduced life expectancy and other health issues (see: "America"). I only use pea protein for this reason but if I were trying to bulk I'd have to research it some more and weigh the pros and cons.

Quote: (03-11-2016 10:21 PM)Gorgiass Wrote:  

Interesting, didn't know this was a thing but apparently it does make a difference. Pea protein is low in methionine which is necessary for growth - children with low methionine diets will be stunted. Presumably this would have a similar effect on muscle growth. Downside to high methionine diets is a reduced life expectancy and other health issues (see: "America"). I only use pea protein for this reason but if I were trying to bulk I'd have to research it some more and weigh the pros and cons.
Thank you. I'll likely use it for post-cardio sessions, then.