rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Forgefulness/leaving things behind

I've had a look on the forum and there seems to be no direct topic on the issue of general forgetfulness.
What I'm talking about is regularly forgetting or losing items, leaving them behind me when I'm out and about and also in my workplace.
I've always been a bit forgetful but in the last year or so, it seems to have gotten worse.
In the last year, I've left my wallet behind me on three occasions (each time it was found by someone and handed in whereby I retrieved it, twice untouched, once with my cash gone, but all cards left untouched).
I've almost lost my mobile phone on a few occasions, again I've been very lucky, one time it must have fallen out of my pocket near a train stop. Luckily I noticed it was gone a few minutes later and doubled back to where I thought I had lost it, and found the phone untouched on a pathway, ten minutes later.
I lost my a bank card a week ago and had to reorder a new one.
I lost a scarf also about a week ago.

Sometimes I get distracted by something or someone, and lose my focus for a few crucial seconds or minutes and in that time, I somehow 'forget' about minding my stuff and this is often when I leave something behind.
Other times, I'll put it down to tiredness(have problems sleeping sometimes) however most people can still carry on their days without losing things, even when tired.
I've also had a bit of stress lately, partly due to hyerpacusis in one ear(which I can live with), but seems to have gotten a bit worse lately(probably due to some late nights, one of which involved being in an extremely loud late night club).
So have been hearing subtle sounds and pressure in the same ear lately which might be tinnitus, which means I've been very anxious at times (I will get this checked by a doctor soon, am hoping it might be due to an infection rather than damage due to exposure to loud music).
This also, may contribute to a certain lack of focus on the everyday things I'm doing.

I don't think it's a lack of intelligence, people generally regard me as quite intelligent and knowledgeable but others have noticed there's a bit of 'the absent minded professor' about me.

Anyway, the point is, it's not normal to be regularly losing things, it shouldn't be happening.
My diet is pretty good and I've been working out regularly since the start of the year.
I also take cod liver oil , B12 and why protein regularly.
I'm in my early forties, very slim, low body fat, a little unfit admittedly but generally in good health

Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce or eliminate forgetfulness and how to not let sudden interruptions distract my focus so much that I forget items?

I have a very strong tendency to do this also, and I've had to form special habits to safeguard from it. That said, even recently I left an irreplaceable document somewhere, which I was fortunate enough to get back.

My tips are:
- Make a habit of checking your sitting/standing place whenever you leave. Whenever I get up, I will scan the floor, seat and table for anything I've left there.
- Don't tuck anything away such that there is a risk you'll leave it (visually obscured). Put something on the table rather under it. Don't put anything above head height - you never look up there.
- Don't put anything in loose pockets. My phone goes in a front jean pocket, or in an inside pocket of a jacket, or an outside zipping pocket which is then zipped.

Thanks for the advice.
You're right, forming habits such as the ones you suggested, should help.
I drink coffee every day, and would struggle without it, especially during the working week.
I'm a bit mentally sharper and focussed when am taking coffee but I'm aware that that has it's positives and negatives.
The frustrating part is I can be incredibly focussed and single minded sometimes, in getting things done.
Yet later in the same day, I'll inexplicably leave something important behind me and have to go back to retrieve it(or possibly lose it outright).

I would guess that this is partly a function of your character, and partly a function of day to day pressures and interests. I worry sometimes that I am getting more forgetful or clumsy, or whatever, and of course at these times the mind races - if you're not careful you'll have convinced yourself you have the first signs of MS before you know it. But I know, for myself, that my life gets more full, more interesting, more complicated, and more demanding by the day at the moment. If you are reading things that make you think, and engaged in work that holds your interest, as well as having hobbies that occupy your spare moments, it is a wonder we have any time at all to pay attention to all the little things that make up the necessities of every day life. There is so much in day to day life of interest, so much that is more interesting than a scarf or a wallet, or whatever trinket it may be, that one cannot help but become distracted.

Get in the habit of doing the pocket pat down every time you change a location. And by location I mean every time you start moving from one place to another.

Phone, wallet, keys, chapstick. Done.

Quote: (03-10-2016 05:39 AM)Phoenix Wrote:  

- Don't tuck anything away such that there is a risk you'll leave it (visually obscured). Put something on the table rather under it. Don't put anything above head height - you never look up there.

I forgot my bag/jacket so many times on the trains in Japan, I was fortunate enough to always get them back but I finally opted to keep my items in my lap just so I would prevent forgetting them another time.

As creatures of habit, it's easy to forget an item you bring when it is out of your field of vision.

Make a habit of keeping everything in the same spot. Phone goes in front right pocket, wallet back left, keys on the same hook at home, etc. Everything has a specific place in my life and I can't remember the last time I misplaced or lost something.

I have a buddy who would lose his own dick if it wasn't attached to him. He's asked me to call his phone on multiple occasions and every damn time it was in one of his pockets. He's constantly searching for his keys and wallet too. I've noticed he always puts things in different pockets or sets things down in different spots. I'd lose my phone too if I put it in a different pant or jacket pocket every time I stood up.

Did you leave out the "t" in the thread title?

I see what you did there

Always put your keys, phone, wallet in the same place at home, or the same pocket when out.

Quote:Quote:

Spectacles, testicles, wallet, keys... [Image: wink.gif]

If only you knew how bad things really are.

This sounds hokey but ever since I start meditating regularly, I tend to forget less things. When I stop meditating for a bit, the forgetfulness comes back. I actually started meditating for improved focus, I guess it helps with forgetfulness as well. I've locked myself outside my own house, so my forgetfulness was pretty bad.

Redundancies are very helpful. Have a back up and then a back up of your back up.

G

This will get worse as you get older, the key is develop better systems to compensate. Make checklists, take notes. Get in the habit of checking your pockets as a regular thing.

Quote: (03-10-2016 09:07 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Get in the habit of doing the pocket pat down every time you change a location. And by location I mean every time you start moving from one place to another.

This is great advice and an easy habit to start. I've been doing it for years - a quick four-pat around my hips. I probably do it every time I stand up. Even if I'm just standing, wasting time, idle. I've had huge waves of panic when I pat my left pocket and it's empty, just because I've briefly moved my phone to the inner pocket of my jacket because a pair of pants are too damn tight. It works.

I'd also recommend getting a catch-all to keep things in the same place while at home. Keep it by your door. You'll never be rushing in the morning because you can't find your wallet, keys, phone, chapstick, cigs, etc.

Thanks everyone for all your advice, some of which was very helpful.
I've noticed I'm less forgetful/absent minded now, probably for a number of reasons.
1) Being more vigilant about keeping a diary with tasks to be done
2) Less stressed out now and therefore more clear and focussed in my thoughts, thanks in large part to my ear health improving (I will expand on this in one of the 'Tinnitus' threads
3) Working out at least twice and sometimes thrice a week, I think has helped my overall mind and body health
4) I've started taking several supplements daily like NAC, Zinc, Magnesium, Fish Oil & Vitamin D, and started taking herbal teas daily and make some green juice at least once a week, all of this extra nutrition seems to have boosted my system, and helped my overall health and productivity in my daily life

Cargo pants and shorts have kept me from losing my wallet many times.

Team visible roots
"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
Quote: (02-11-2019 05:10 PM)Atlanta Man Wrote:  
I take pussy how it comes -but I do now prefer it shaved low at least-you cannot eat what you cannot see.