rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best home defense weapon (excluding firearms)

What is the best home weapon is when you're unable to have a firearm? In this scenario, your attacker is using a crowbar to gain entry into your house and then pulls out an assault knife when he saw you in your pajamas.

Deciding would involve two factors. First, it should frighten the attacker into leaving. Second, it should be suitable with fighting the attacker while minimizing your risk of being wounded.

Here are some known options:

1. Baseball bat
Pro: good range, no skill needed to use
Con: hard to get full power in constrained spaces like hallways and doorways

2. Collapsible baton
Pro: hard weapon, can inflict serious damage
Con: may not scare attacker, short range

3. Standard baton
Pro: more scary than collapsible baton, longer range
Con: hard to use in constrained spaces

4. Crowbar
Pro: similar to baseball bat
Con: shorter range than bat

5. Assault knife
Pro: may not scare someone with larger knife
Con: short range, takes training to use effectively

6. Pepper spray
Pro: effective from distance
Con: risky to use indoors, may end up impairing yourself

7. Whip, sjambok
Pro: good range, extremely painful
Con: takes skill to use, might be hard to use indoors

8. Spear, machete, or sword
Pro: scary, deadly, good range
Con: may take training to use

9. Nunchuks
Pro: medium range, painful
Con: requires extensive training

To scare your attacker while having a superior weapon that could defeat a knife or club (but not firearm), it seems like a spear, machete, or sword is your best home defense option. Chances are your attacker will run when he sees he's up against something like this:

[Image: anti_personnel_tactical_riot_spear.jpg]

[Image: machete-pic.jpg]

[Image: 1160_robb_stark_sword.jpg]

I think a spear is best because it has the longest range and only one movement to learn (thrusting). You can do that in narrow spaces. A crazed attacker who rushes you would just impale himself.

As insurance, maybe a collapsible baton on your belt in case he parries your spear and it gets to close combat.

Thoughts?

If I can't carry for whatever reason I usually carry a Kimber Pepperblaster:

[Image: Kimber-Pepperblaster-2-Grey-One-Size-0-0.jpg]

It's not a spray; it shoots out a chunk of OC gel at 110 mph, so using it in close quarters carries less chance of spraying yourself. It's small, cheap, light, and effective. Here's a good review of it.

Not on here much anymore. I'm either out on 2 wheels or trying to kill something.

Spear sounds good. What about a spear gun?

Also look up a monkey fist. Not too hard to make and good for travel. Also when traveling and conventional defense methods aren't available, I keep a couple handfuls of change in a sock. It can pack a hell of a hit.

Most likely a short sword like a wakizashi. The problem with a spear is maneuvering inside a house. Also no layman can suddenly switch weapons in a fight if an assailant successfully parries past or grabs the spear. The advantage of a short sword is: out-lengths a knife, can be shiny (intimidating), can't be easily grabbed by the attacker, can slash indoors (katana or long-sword too long for that), and if the enemy closes the distance you can switch to half-swording it.

I would not be keen to rush someone holding something like this:
[Image: DSC05295ag.jpg]

Also on using half-swording, fairly safe apparently:

A huge fucking dog like a German Shepherd or Husky.

- Will alert you before they are even in the house
- Will attack them if they still come in
- Strong visual and audio deterrent
- Dogs are cool

I would also then have a secondary weapon like a machete or baseball bat.

None of the above.

The best is a video surveillance system. Get the perp caught on camera.

The make cheap wifi video cameras that are only a couple hundred bucks each and record on SD card chips that overwrite after a few weeks.

Then someone with your public profile would also be able to post that footage on the net for embarrassment against the perp as well.

Otherwise one of those taser guns that police use. You don't want to kill anyone for the legal reprecussions alone, even if its in your own home.

I'd want something like this, cold steel gladius.

Shorter then a full size sword so easier and quicker to maneuver, double edged for more attack options opposed to a machete, intimidating appearance.

[Image: ColdSteelRomanGladius-1k.jpg]

[Image: 9_526175.jpg]

Most people wont be able to keep their cool in an actual fight. You've heard of "professional fighters" who spend years training and then step into the ring or cage and have a glass jaw. Running is best for MOST people. But if through sports and other endeavors youve proven your ability to fight and not flight, I believe 1 person (fighter) wielding a stun gun and pepper spray can take out 7 people single handedly. Pepper spray burns anywhere it lands, and can shoot 15 feet. Get it on the face and that person is extremely marginalized. Stun gun someone once, stomp on their balls or soccer kick their balls like your life depends on it and they are out of commission. They arent getting back up to attack you. It's not as sexy as a knife or a sword but real life Kata involving stun gun and pepper spray is realistic and pretty legit. You can conceal both on your person at all times. FYI I dont mess around, if someone attacks me I hit the back of the head, spine, stomp on their balls 3+ times, whatever it takes to ensure they DO NOT get back up to attack me when I leave. This is probably an overlooked key, knowing how much damage to inflict and not kill the person but enough damage where you are safe from harm.

I've Had to deal with quite a few Breakins in my line of work.

Lead pipe / steel pipe about 36 inches long. Used it to bash someone in the face breaking in to first floor window. He lost a few teeth.

Also a good friends pitbull is good. I had a fixer upper in a rough area and put the dog in the house. Someone broke in, got attacked by dog, left about a liter of blood on the floor traIlng to snow in front yard before running away. No one tried breaking in after neighbors saw that

Something you can always keep at arms length. Doesn't weigh too much and packs a very serious punch in a matter of seconds

[Image: latest?cb=20150909161442]

Can't have any hesitation at all though. you go for a quick decisive blow to the stomach, quick knee to the head a massive wack to the knee cap or side of the quad muscle.Everyone should have basic training in restraining someone while they are down. If you can pin successfully, cable tie his hands together.

I have a SOG Tomahawk sharpened and ready by my bedside. Use it for camping trips and splitting logs for fire. Great tool regardless of self defense.

This cop has the right idea
[Image: attachment.jpg30183]   
This Marine has the right idea
[Image: attachment.jpg30184]   
[Image: attachment.jpg30185]   

The best home defense weapon is to live in a safe neighborhood..

Possibly in a gated community, so that people must pass through a security checkpoint before even entering the community..

And/or.. On the 5th floor or higher of an apartment building so that no one can even consider entering your house from the street level.

And/or.. Keep a guard dog..

And/or.. A cross bow.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdiKaFs053XeQjgP2bxBW...Lhkscg3Pxn]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlZ9nM7aq1nJ07QNCCnkE...SUEAJ5uUbT]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzNg2xSy9XZOuA7DMnxF3...vWmxq1DOXR]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3iqqrxtQiV5ibzAhSdk3...yNh_fGdhaw]

These things have bladed tips and are designed to take down large animals.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlag9P8W4cS40o36_1Clj...FSnIAr7LzA]

And/or.. I might have a metal baseball bat and/or a ninginata:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8OQRZtdHM1eRiVzdK9aV...MkLZQiHudz]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSE7gPagdINj3pRaxDqIsW...QLzuTni7-Q]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQSJJW-4CSCYNJ1Vw06jx...Ctqa8PCnPw]

--

I also like the idea of stun guns and high powered pepper spray.

If for some reason I couldn't have a gun and I had to fight, I'd go with a sword and shield. I might bring a short spear as my first weapon, to be thrown opportunistically before going to the sword. A short spear is pretty effective with a shield as a melee weapon as far as that goes.

I suspect most burglars would gtfo if they saw a large man coming at them with a spear and shield.

Most of those are illegal in Europe at least.

If legal in Europe, I would go with an axe, has good range and will definitely incapacitate with one blow on target.

A rather unusual option:

I would furnish the home with things that don't catch fire too easily. I would have a fire extinguisher ready (this is a good idea either way). Then I would have some professional carb cleaner and a reliable lighter ready, like this guy @1:12:

I think this is pretty effective at scaring people off when you demonstrate it before they think of something stupid. If the attacker doesn't run - you make him melt.
I know, it's a little risky inside, but the possibility of this happening is very low despite the invasion but especially since Poland doesn't take them in. If this actually happens, I would rather burn some furniture than let him stab me and take my stuff.

In addition to that, I think a machete is the best option (makeshift flamethrower might not work or the attacker just comes at you through the flames). A machete looks sufficiently intimidating, is easy to handle and has the right length for indoor swinging-radius. What aeroektar posted would probably do the same job.
Just having such a thing at hand is already intimidating because it shows the attacker you're prepared for the scenario.

Problems I see with...
... an Axe: the end could be too heavy to correct a missed hit fast enough - especially with cramped room. It could be an option if you go for a small one like TheMadGreek posted, but then you lose range. A machete is lighter, even when longer and can be used to swing AND stab.
... a spear: the only damage that would stop an attacker would be a first-strike with a stab. If you miss/he dodges, it takes again too much time to correct and he might be so close by then that stabbing isn't pragmatic anymore.

Quote: (03-01-2016 03:11 PM)nomadbrah Wrote:  

Most of those are illegal in Europe at least.

If legal in Europe, I would go with an axe, has good range and will definitely incapacitate with one blow on target.

I don't know about other European countries but in Germany you can have all these as long as you don't take them outside your home.

Bruce Jenner

On a serious note, a Taser/Stungun? Don't know if those fall under 'firearms regulations' tho.

How do I have sex without losing the vitality that comes with the high levels of T? - Elmo Louis

Easy bro - pull out and cum in your hand. Then shove that cum in your mouth and swallow to avoid losing your vitality or lowering your T. - Yardog

Think about the scenarios in which you are likely to use it. Tight spaces, corridors, objects on hall tables - think about how some of these weapons are likely to perform in a confined space.

Long weapons - cumbersome, if you swing it you are likely to catch a wall or door frame reducing the impact or negating it all together. If you thrust and miss with the tip, you provide a long, blunt handle for your enemy to grab. Terrible home defense weapon.

Pepper spray - in a confined space? Keep in mind that if you are on the offensive you are trying to drive your enemy back/out. With pepper spray, you will be spraying and then engaging forwards. You are likely to experience the effects of your weapon on yourself, and diminish your ability to fuck up someone's day. Neutralise the threat if you are going to engage, or don't engage at all.

Crossbow - like higher calibre pistols in confined spaces with plaster walls, projectiles can easily pass through and injure or kill children/animals etc in adjacent rooms. in the split second you engage in lethal combat for the first time you do not want to be questioning whether you have a safe shot - you can't afford to hesitate.

'Assault knife' - Fighting knives have good things going for them. If you have a tight grip on the handle then your enemy is unlikely to wrestle it off you; you can slash and stab, they are short range and require you to be up close, and face to face will work best if you are prepared to engage in frenzied stabbing.

My personal choice is the Kukri. For those that don't know, this is a Gurkha fighting knife, a bit like an edged boomerang with a very heavy blade. It is a true killing weapon - and is better shaped for the purpose than a machete. It'll shatter bone, concuss, carve off limbs, cleave through to organs - the works. There is no better hand to hand killing weapon than a kukri. The back of the blade, though blunt, is about 1/2" thick. This gives you the option, if you know what you are doing, of using it as a cudgel (though the Gurkhas would say that once it is drawn it must draw blood).

A close second in my view is a ~14" length of 1 1/8" thick rebar. This is short enough to swing in a tight space, and will break forearms if put up to protect more vital targets. A very useful tool for incapacitating a bad guy. Can also be used in a stabbing motion to concentrate force to the solar plexus, throat, eyes, etc.

I have a Tramontina latin machete under my mattress. It costs me 12 bucks and I can shave hair with it.

Cold Steel sells a lot of viable melee options, as well.

Their products have the added bonus of being cheap and really fucking durable (because they generally forge their blades from a single piece of carbon steel and then differentially temper it to have both a sharp edge and a flexible spine).

I'd recommend the Tomahawks.

[Image: 90TH_m.jpg]

If you can't get your hands on that, a fiskars hatchet would do the trick too.

[Image: Fiskars-X7-14-Inch-Hatchet1-300x270.jpg]

They are the exact same thing as the Gerber hatchets, except they are orange and only cost $20.

If you want something reasonably priced with more range, go with the Cold Steel katana machete (2 handed).

[Image: 97THKL_1.jpg]

There are a number of disgusting on and two handed weapons you can get from Cold Steel for $30 or less.

You can even get a buckler from cold steel.

[Image: medieval-training-buckler-[2]-3046-p.jpg]

H1N1 brings up a good point about kukris. I believe Himalayan Imports was the reputable seller on the internet.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/khuk1.html

As far as heavy knives, I might get the Condor Hudson Bay in the very near future, they're only $40 and it's 1.25 lbs of 1075 high carbon steel.

[Image: 31DLwZyUY4L._SX425_.jpg]

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Quote: (03-01-2016 12:59 PM)J. Spice Wrote:  

If I can't carry for whatever reason I usually carry a Kimber Pepperblaster:

[Image: Kimber-Pepperblaster-2-Grey-One-Size-0-0.jpg]

It's not a spray; it shoots out a chunk of OC gel at 110 mph, so using it in close quarters carries less chance of spraying yourself. It's small, cheap, light, and effective. Here's a good review of it.

I've look into these and watched a few videos on their effectiveness.

A few issues:

1. They can misfire and you have only two shots.

2. You have to hit someone dead in the eyes for it really to work. In the heat of the moment, its very hard to get an eye shot between one's own stress and the attacker(s) movement.

3. Like all pepper spray variants, a mist will still be present after use. If the exit in a hallway is blocked by a mist of this stuff for example; it could be a problem.

4. There can be a delay of a few seconds before a reaction occurs. In close quarters combat, a few seconds is an eternity.

I would just get regular pepper spray between the two; especially since wind won't be a factor indoors.

Tasers for home defense aren't particularly a great solution either. Limited shots for starters. You miss your 1 to 3 shots and you're fucked. In a home defense situation also, you are likely dealing with cramp spaces/barriers and short distances when you want open spaces and some distance (to allow the prongs to spread while in the air after firing).

A trained guard dog is VERY effective as a deterrent and defense force. But that requires constant maintenance and pet ownership.

If you want to limit yourself to largely non-lethal force (but lethal if necessary), a baseball bat, think mag light, or as mentioned, thick rebar is your best bet in combination with pepper spray. The spray can be use to disoriented from a distance and the blunt object can be use to knock the attacker unconscious. Use spray in your non dominant head and the blunt object in the dominant hand.

If you want lethal force, it's a shotgun.

Excluding firearms (this is for shits and giggles, you should NOT seriously be considering lethal force options outside of firearms but anyway...), a short sword is probably best but you will have to get close and getting close is always dangerous; especially if you are bringing in a sharp weapon into the equation. You could use the short sword along with pepper spray but that's a bit silly since you are wasting time trying to temporarily disoriented someone while having a weapon meant to kill in the other hand. You should be using those precious seconds going for the kill instead. You are not on a battlefield in Braveheart; you're in a cramped space and will likely have a split second to decide to use lethal force or not. It's retarded to be half-way about it and waste time.

How you want to fight back is dependent on your willingness to kill, the layout of your residence, the legal realities of where you live and ultimately what you are willing to risk and tolerate.

If someone breaks into my house, I assume my life is at risk and legal consequences be damned, will act accordingly. The law, especially in libtard jurisdictions however will not see it like that though.

As they say: I rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I think aeroektar has the right idea here. Look to the past, when men didn't have a choice about whether to defend themselves with a gun or not. Ignoring bows (need a lot of training and useless in close quarters) and crossbows (slow to reload, also limited in close quarters), pretty much all killing was done hand to hand. And what sort of weapons did the most effective fighters use?

A short sword and a shield. The shield is the most important thing here. It's hard for us today to appreciate how important and effective shields were (and are, really) in hand to hand combat. A shield is both a weapon itself and an enormously effective defensive barrier. I think we tend to discount shields because most of our exposure to hand to hand combat comes from movies and video games, where we often see exotic weapons or daring fighting styles employed. But the reality is that hand to hand fighting is almost always ugly and brutal to watch. And if you fuck up even once, you will end up dead, grievously wounded or maimed for life. The best way to stay alive is having a very strong defense combined with a reliable offense. A short sword is small enough to be maneuvered easily but large enough to inflict devastating stabbing or slashing wounds. He may not look cool, but a guy bashing you with a shield, deflecting all your blows and stabbing at you relentlessly with a double-edged 20" blade is not someone to fuck with in a dark hallway. That being said, I have absolutely no idea where one would even buy a real fighting shield these days. I would also feel kind of dumb having a shield laying around (perhaps a modern bias), but there's no denying its proven effectiveness for hand to hand fighting.

"Come at me, bro"
[Image: sword1.jpg]

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

The head of a tomahawk can be taken off fairly easily once you get rid of the allen screw (you really don't need it on there). The axe head can then be rolled up into a sock or stowed away somewhere if you have to travel with it.

The trail hawk has a hammer on the other side, which makes it somewhat more useful.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

In order to take off the nasty black paint, use denatured alcohol.

Here is a video with some simple modifications.

If the handle should ever break, it's easy enough to make a new one.

As far as the spear route, cold steel has another $20 answer.

There are two models, the bushman and the bowie. I recommend the bushman because it's easier to get a sheath made for it. I use these as butcher knives for carving up large chunks of meat or butchering game.

[Image: 31oZq3hCtyL._SY300_.jpg]

[Image: 51eU5n9lhqL._SY355_.jpg]

These are great because they are forged from a single piece of steel and the handle is rolled and welded together. These are very, very strong knives. The blade is fairly thin but it's tempered well so it will bend instead of break. After 10 minutes with a whetstone, the bushman was the sharpest knife I have ever owned, partly due to the hollow grind and the thin blade.

Here is a torture test performed on the bushman. There are six parts to this video series and the bushman holds up to a lot more abuse than many knives 10 times it's price. Guy spends a whole hour trying to break this knife.

The handle is also hollow. The bushman has a hole drilled into the handle to put a pin through it; it is designed to be used as a spear point. You could easily modify it to become something else, like a short handled spear. This satisfies the traveling requirement, you can take the spear point off the handle and it's still a knife. Depending on how long the handle is, you can get rid of it or take it with you. Hide the knife in a pair of jeans or something.

[Image: 2mguirt.jpg]

As a rule of thumb, the blades I use are inexpensive and built very strong; they are working tools. That way I won't feel bad if I lose them, break them, or beat the shit out of them.

It doesn't make sense to buy weapons worth hundreds of dollars if they have a chance of getting confiscated. It doesn't make sense to train with a weapon if you're scared of chipping the blade or scuffing the finish.

These are easy to replace and easy to have a few extra lying around in case you want your friends to also be armed. Both options can be had for under thirty dollars.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

[Image: pioneer-intro-1.jpg]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqMkjYjmtw

More powerful then a typical compound bow (at 450 feet per second it definitely shoots faster!)and can be used to hit attackers with the butt of the rifle if things get nasty up close or to further pacify the intruder. It shoots up to 8 arrows before needing a recharge. I'm sure you can add a knife to the bottom of the rifle like a bayonet. Also safe to travel with internationally as it's not a firearm [Image: lol.gif]

Anyone who is decently handy can make a very strong functional shield from 3/8" plywood, canvas, rawhide, and leather. Some designs call for a center boss and those are available for like $15-20. Total cost in materials for making a shield is, oh... $40 or so plus labor.

Or you can buy a shield for $100-250, or much more if you're a medieval arms and armor geek and want a super fancy exact replica.

^ making a shield

^ trying to destroy the shield

-------------

I haven't had much luck with Cold Steel stuff other than their smaller fixed blades. I'm pretty unimpressed with the tomahawk I bought from them a long time ago. I'd rather just save up and buy a Gransfors Bruks small forest axe (which I did, and it is amazing).

None of this stuff is travel friendly, unfortunately, if you're going somewhere weapons and self defense are discouraged.

Kinda surprised nobody mentioned push daggers (that I noticed):

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/SAFE.20...ERIES.aspx

I have three push daggers, all different models from Cold Steel, and they're really nice. Very secure in the hand and they came razor sharp.

----------

There's always the good old net and trident, too:

[Image: 0aed9ba09f907480eddd2fd77f3ba195.jpg]

Which cold steel hawk did you get?

I put a convex edge on mine and it works fine. It's no gransfors bruks though.

― Donald J. Trump