rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

International 3G with 1 SIM

I just snagged this product that lets you access 3G in over 120 countries with pretty reasonable rates. Obviously you dont want to be streaming an episode of the Simpsons on this, but if you ABSOLUTELY have to check & respond to email with zero issues from pretty much anywhere (there is a cell signal) it is seems like the only no hassle solution. Recalling some of the shit I have gone through in airports and even with local 3G cards, its a no brainer. Also some countries wont even allow you to get 3G unless you get on a post paid plan, which requires residency documentation (basically impossible).

http://www.mobilitypass.com/

The convenience is also great because you have 1 username/password no matter what country you are in. I will report back if it sucks. Im crossing my fingers that it works as advertised.

Anyone got the scoop on a global SIM for a quad band cell that is not highways robbery? I am looking for something that will work for the times I am in-between SIM's.

TD

Which countries are you going to test it? I wonder if there is actually working 3G in 120 countries around the world.

All through Asia and SA. On the site they list the countries and you can click them for more details. If there is a rate listed, 3G is available. The downside is its very expensive, like $2.50 for 100kb. Thats about enough bandwidth to check and have text replies for about 5 emails, but not replying could cost me far more. Worth it if I am out of touch for a long time and Wifi is not available.

My guess is that "3G is available" for most of those 120 countries means you have a chance to get 3G reception in the country capital. Maybe just in the city center.

If you get a Kindle 3G it has free 3G service worldwide. It has a web browser so it'll do e-mail, facebook ...etc.

Global 3G Coverage
Travel the globe and still get books in under 60 seconds. Kindle uses GSM technology—the most popular mobile wireless standard - with wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories

You can browse internet websites such a google, wikipedia, et cetera. This feature is experimental however, meaning that amazon may cancel it if they want to. But so far there was free 3G web browsing for the past three years, ever since kindle 1 was released.

Battery life is about 2 months between charges.

OMFG. Thats awesome. Thanks for that info.

Quote: (08-03-2011 06:37 PM)truedat Wrote:  

OMFG. Thats awesome. Thanks for that info.

You're welcome. =) the screens are kinda fragile from what I've been reading. Just be aware. I'd love to see a touch screen version with a color screen.

Quote: (08-03-2011 04:10 PM)MacNcheez Wrote:  

If you get a Kindle 3G it has free 3G service worldwide.

It can only use 3G where there is 3G, no difference from the mobilepass.

Quote: (08-03-2011 07:32 PM)oldnemesis Wrote:  

Quote: (08-03-2011 04:10 PM)MacNcheez Wrote:  

If you get a Kindle 3G it has free 3G service worldwide.

It can only use 3G where there is 3G, no difference from the mobilepass.

True. But for a one time payment of $180 you get a ebook reader and free internet for life. If it breaks just take it apart and steal the sim card out of it and put it into something else. I found one article where somebody did that and put it into an Ipad and it worked fine.

Quote: (08-04-2011 08:46 AM)MacNcheez Wrote:  

True. But for a one time payment of $180 you get a ebook reader and free internet for life.

Not really "free Internet"; it is more like "free Google and Wikipedia".