rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Free to Roam. Where would you go?

I have the unique ability to live anywhere in the country. I will be working from home, and keeping my good paying job (about $100k/yr). If this was you where would you move to, and why?

I'm in NYC and this place is great. Having spent 2 years in SOCAL, I'll say it was fun. But I'm an East Coast boy at heart. Atlanta sux, except for the airport. Houston sux worse. The cost of living in Vegas is a bit much for my tastes.

Quote: (07-02-2011 10:25 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I'm in NYC and this place is great. Having spent 2 years in SOCAL, I'll say it was fun. But I'm an East Coast boy at heart. Atlanta sux, except for the airport. Houston sux worse. The cost of living in Vegas is a bit much for my tastes.

Yeah i love NYC too.. I love to visit. My only knock on NYC is the cost of housing. If you want to live somewhere cool in Manhattan, it's going to cost a fortune.

Yeah the other night a guy told what apartments cost in Manhattan. It was double what I expected. Are you required to live in the states? If not look into living abroad. You'll probably qualify for the tax break. I think it's up to $87.5K now. That in itself will save you a ton of money every year.

I've been to every city on your list.

To live? NYC, hands down.

Quote: (07-02-2011 10:15 AM)_DC_ Wrote:  

I have the unique ability to live anywhere in the country. I will be working from home, and keeping my good paying job (about $100k/yr). If this was you where would you move to, and why?

If you love latina american women then there is only one place to live in the US and that is Miami

If not Id live in Socal. Great weather!

Hawaii is jumping up my radar after meeting numerous hot ass unique looking local chicks.

Why wouldnt you be able to live abroad if you work entirely from ur pc?

NYC has no shortage of hispanics:

White: 44.6% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 35.1%)
Black or African American: 25.1%
American Indian: 0.4%
Asian: 11.8%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Some other race: 16.0%
Two or more races: 2.1%
Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 27.5%

16% some other race. Gotta love that variety.

Quote: (07-02-2011 11:38 AM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Quote: (07-02-2011 10:15 AM)_DC_ Wrote:  

If you love latina american women then there is only one place to live in the US and that is Miami

If not Id live in Socal. Great weather!

Hawaii is jumping up my radar after meeting numerous hot ass unique looking local chicks.

Why wouldnt you be able to live abroad if you work entirely from ur pc?

Yeah, right now I'm pretty set on Miami beach. It's worth a shot for a year at least. It appears all the highrises are on the Biscayne Bay, but its only short walk to South Beach. My main two reasons on Miami vs SoCal (because the women are great in both places) are: 1) One of my best friends lives there and 2) The housing is much cheaper. My diabolical plan is to squat there for a while and low ball a condo when they hit rock bottom.

As for international stuff, I'd love to, but I work for the Feds. They aren't too keen on you not being in America. The job is extremely flexible though, so 4 day trips to South America should be very doable. Apparently it's very cheap to fly outta MIA.

The consensus among my friends is that I'm a lucky m'fer. [Image: whip.gif]

Aliblahba -

"The cost of living in Vegas is a bit much for my tastes."

You live in NYC and think Vegas is expensive?

_DC_-

"My diabolical plan is to squat there for a while and low ball a condo when they hit rock bottom."

I think the new Case-Shiller (or some "official" data sheet like that) said that would be around 2016 in Miami. My guess is further out. Although maybe the rich Brazilians are going to buy the place up.

"so 4 day trips to South America should be very doable."

This makes Miami kind of a no-brainer.

4 day trips to South America from Southern California are not really doable. Trust me. This is one of the reasons I think I may base myself out of Miami moving forward.

With your dough, you would get the most bang for the buck I think in Chicago.

Chicago seems to be the best big time city in America on a discount.

Quote: (07-02-2011 12:43 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Aliblahba -

"The cost of living in Vegas is a bit much for my tastes."

You live in NYC and think Vegas is expensive?

_DC_-

"My diabolical plan is to squat there for a while and low ball a condo when they hit rock bottom."

I think the new Case-Shiller (or some "official" data sheet like that) said that would be around 2016 in Miami. My guess is further out. Although maybe the rich Brazilians are going to buy the place up.

"so 4 day trips to South America should be very doable."

This makes Miami kind of a no-brainer.

4 day trips to South America from Southern California are not really doable. Trust me. This is one of the reasons I think I may base myself out of Miami moving forward.

With your dough, you would get the most bang for the buck I think in Chicago.

Chicago seems to be the best big time city in America on a discount.

I'm going to Chitown in a few weeks. I hear its the best city ever in the summertime.

I guess ideally, I'd have a place somewhere like NYC/Chicago for the 6 summer months and move to Miami in the 6 winter months. Moving is a bitch though, and I don't have the sort of finances to have two places.

As far as the housing market, who really knows? All I know is currently, even if the bottom is still far away, I can get a way nicer pad in Miami than DC.

$100K??....Chicago or Miami

$100K in NYC is not really doing a whole lot.

Quote: (07-02-2011 12:08 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

The latinas in nyc and miami are a bit different no?

Id imagine the nyc latinas to be alot more urban / ghettofied and harder to game for most normal white guys. Miami has a great variety to satisfy all tastes imo.

Anywhere but the east coast. I would go somewhere on the west coast.

Quote: (07-02-2011 10:25 AM)Aliblahba Wrote:  

I'm in NYC and this place is great. But I'm an East Coast boy at heart. Atlanta sux, except for the airport. Houston sux worse.
The feelings mutual. I would hate to live on the east coast, especially somewhere where I couldn't have a car.

I can't vote because San Francisco is not on the list.

With that kind of income I would think NYC would be too expensive .Have you thought about becoming a snowbird? I would do coastal Maine for three months and the rest of the year in Sarasota FL.

there are a lot of factors to consider. i love nyc and would choose it, but you have to bounce that off of the cost of living. 100k in nyc is a hell of a lot different then other places. i like the snowbird idea, although i might choose a place other then coastal maine. if you could bounce to south american for 4 days at a time, you could think hard about miami. flight to colombia is only around 3 hours and my first flight from boston was only $450......from boston.

if you're younger, you might try arizona, but some place other then phoenix. one of the places in or close to arizona or arizona state will give you plenty of beautiful women, etc.

if you're a little older you could try a place like hoboken to take a smaller chunk of your 100k and still have access to nyc. tough call, but look at everything- that's how i ended up in bogota and love it.

Quote: (07-02-2011 03:28 PM)rinestone Wrote:  

there are a lot of factors to consider. i love nyc and would choose it, but you have to bounce that off of the cost of living. 100k in nyc is a hell of a lot different then other places. i like the snowbird idea, although i might choose a place other then coastal maine. if you could bounce to south american for 4 days at a time, you could think hard about miami. flight to colombia is only around 3 hours and my first flight from boston was only $450......from boston.

if you're younger, you might try arizona, but some place other then phoenix. one of the places in or close to arizona or arizona state will give you plenty of beautiful women, etc.

if you're a little older you could try a place like hoboken to take a smaller chunk of your 100k and still have access to nyc. tough call, but look at everything- that's how i ended up in bogota and love it.

Coastal Maine = sex with French Canadian girls all summer.

Quote: (07-02-2011 01:12 PM)Dash Global Wrote:  

Quote: (07-02-2011 12:08 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

The latinas in nyc and miami are a bit different no?

Id imagine the nyc latinas to be alot more urban / ghettofied and harder to game for most normal white guys. Miami has a great variety to satisfy all tastes imo.

Correct. Plus the NYC latinas are more Dominican or Puerto Rican, heavier on the African admixture and basically indistinguishable from African Americans. The few Miami girls I've met in New York are predominantly European with a minor Amerindian component, wealthy girls who are studying or otherwise passing through. If the sampling of Miami chicks in NYC is fair, MIA seems to be great place for latinas; however, do not go to New York for latinas. Fortunately, New York does have a large volume of decent white girls, by pure numbers.

So NYC seems to be winning overwhelmingly, wow.

The housing and winter would kill me tho. As people have said, 100k is a nice living in most places, but not Manhattan.

I also like a beach type deal, being from DC, it's a complete opposite atmosphere.

Quote: (07-03-2011 08:45 AM)_DC_ Wrote:  

The housing and winter would kill me tho. As people have said, 100k is a nice living in most places, but not Manhattan.

I also like a beach type deal, being from DC, it's a complete opposite atmosphere.

It is only slightly hyperbolous to say 100K is living paycheck to paycheck in Manhattan. For what it's worth I would pick Honolulu and try and pick off tourist chicks. Grass is always greener, etc.

What people are saying about 100k being nothing in Manhattan is BS. Sure, that money will go MUCH further in other places, but you can live very comfortably in Manhattan for 100k.

I have tons of friends in Manhattan and you can get a nice apartment there for $2000 per month if you're willing to have a roommate. $2500-3000k for a nice place if you want to live solo. Food and other expenses are only maybe 50% more expensive than other places. So a $10 meal in Chicago will be $15 in Manhattan.

You could live quite comfortably there on as little as $60k. Especially if you don't have a car (which honestly, why the fuck would you want a car in Manhattan?)

And by the way, Miami Beach is no cheap picnic either. In fact, I personally think it's the most overpriced place in the country. Clubs and restaurants are just as expensive as Manhattan, apartments aren't that much cheaper either.

Quote: (07-03-2011 10:01 AM)Miley Cyrax Wrote:  

Quote: (07-03-2011 08:45 AM)_DC_ Wrote:  

It is only slightly hyperbolous to say 100K is living paycheck to paycheck in Manhattan. For what it's worth I would pick Honolulu and try and pick off tourist chicks. Grass is always greener, etc.

I know many fine ass Hawaiian chicks! It be a damn shame to just focus on tourist chicks! lol

Entropy4 -

I think 60k in NYC you would be beyond dead in the water. Even by your math. What is the take home on 60k? 40k? That gives you about 3k per month to operate.

2k on rent, you are finished.

"Food and other expenses are only maybe 50% more expensive than other places."

I love how you say "only" 50% more expensive. That will eat you alive.

Agreed with you that Miami Beach is not cheap. Clubs and drinks and restaurants are comparable to Manhattan.

Apartments are leaps and bounds cheaper.

You can live extremely well in Chicago on 100k/year. Nice high-rise apartment downtown in a building with a dope pool, hot tub, etc. We have beaches here (right in the city, not 30 mins. out) that are super busy in the summertime. Obviously they don't compare to the likes of Miami quality-wise, but for being beaches in a Midwest city they're great. I guess the kicker is that you can only take advantage of them 4 months of the year.

My main gripe with Chicago (besides the winters, of course) is that the latinas here are super ghetto. Finding a classy one that could be girlfriend material is very tough. But I guess the good part is that ghetto broads like to fuck. So it's a mixed bag.

-LS