rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Emoticons while texting?

Emoticons while texting?

For some unknown reason, I have always felt a little weird while using emoticons during texting or emailing but used them anyway thinking they convey the message better. But lately, I've been reading at a few places that using them actually does hurt your game.

Thoughts?

Game is a necessary evil

Emoticons while texting?

Quote: (07-01-2011 05:36 PM)haywire Wrote:  

For some unknown reason, I have always felt a little weird while using emoticons during texting or emailing but used them anyway thinking they convey the message better. But lately, I've been reading at a few places that using them actually does hurt your game.

Thoughts?

I don't use them anymore, period. My game is better because of it.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Emoticons while texting?

Ive always used them as a crutch, and thats just what it is, a crutch. They make you feel safe because you think women respond to them better, they're cute, and both those points are true. They are cute, and women do understand the point better when you use them. Neither of those is conducive to good game. You dont want to be "cute" and you dont want her to have a clear idea of where you're coming from.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Emoticons while texting?

I use them and It has never hurt my game. I find myself doing it as second nature, partly due to women and societal norms.

Emoticons while texting?

do whatever you want, just dont be a pussy about it [Image: biggrin.gif]

Asking a question like this is more pointless than anything you can do while texting

Emoticons while texting?

What the f*CK is an "Emoticons"?

If you know, you problems don't end there.

Emoticons while texting?

I do, but I adapt to the girl's tastes. If she doesn't use any emoticons, I don't use any either. If she uses them moderately, I use them too, but if she saturates everything with them, I still use the moderately and make fun of her for it. So far it's been ok.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Emoticons while texting?

Quote: (07-01-2011 10:03 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

If you know, your problems don't end there.

Point taken, but it is practically impossible to grow up in this age without already being basically an expert purely based on exposure.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Emoticons while texting?

I use smileys and exclamation marks very rarely. As I always say: real men use periods. I don't try to manufacture excitement with punctuation and hieroglyphs.

Example:

Not Tuthmosis: I knew it!!! Next time I won't have to PRETEND like I'm not staring at your butt all night. [Image: smile.gif]

Tuthmosis: I suspected you were going commando, but I thought it was because you're poor. I didn't want to embarrass you.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Emoticons while texting?

Quote: (07-02-2011 02:07 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

I use smileys and exclamation marks very rarely. As I always say: real men use periods. I don't try to manufacture excitement with punctuation and hieroglyphs.

Example:

Not Tuthmosis: I knew it!!! Next time I won't have to PRETEND like I'm not staring at your butt all night. [Image: smile.gif]

Tuthmosis: I suspected you were going commando, but I thought it was because you're poor. I didn't want to embarrass you.

I think emotions look needy and I've stopped using them for that reason. If a woman used emotions and you don't I think it gives you the upper hand. I do use them sometimes online although I prefer this one ^^ instead.

If you do use an emotion just use it once and not more or it reeks of you seeking her approval.

Emoticons while texting?

Quote: (07-02-2011 02:30 PM)flashbang Wrote:  

If you do use an emotion just use it once and not more or it reeks of you seeking her approval.

I think you nailed it for me here - thanks. This is that unknown reason that used to make me feel weird while using them. Now that I think about it, when I'd use a "Smile" while writing something funny it was just to double ensure that she also took it as funny, while having a subconscious fear of losing her in case she thinks its not.

Game is a necessary evil

Emoticons while texting?

Quote: (07-02-2011 08:04 AM)Gmac Wrote:  

Quote: (07-01-2011 10:03 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

If you know, your problems don't end there.

Point taken, but it is practically impossible to grow up in this age without already being basically an expert purely based on exposure.

Seriously... I'd wager everyone on this board knows who the Jonas Brothers are or Justin Bieber, solely because of continual exposure and promotion of them, not because any of us are using that as our pre-game music.

Anyway, my advice, just avoid them. Easier that way.

Emoticons while texting?

It always feels weird whenever I type one in. I think it's my logical brain telling me to "stop using fucking emoticons you fairy". I don't even bother punctuating texts anymore unless it's something where a comma can make a difference in meaning. It's served me well

Go balls deep

Emoticons while texting?

For every 3-5 emoticons she uses, you are allowed to use one, assuming you have already had sex with her.

Before sex... no.

Emoticons while texting?

Emoticons are a crutch. If you can't convey the right tone in your text with words alone, you're doing it wrong.

And honestly, smiling in person never gets 'em wet. A smirk after a cheeky barb, sure, but not a smile.

Emoticons while texting?

i dont use emoticons at all.

Emoticons while texting?

Quote: (07-01-2011 05:36 PM)haywire Wrote:  

Thoughts?

They DO convey the message better. But, if you are trying to have her "lost" (which I enjoy having them lost) I wouldn't recommend it. However, there are times when you KNOW that you need that emoticon or you don't give a shit because you're like 99.9% sure that you are going to fuck her.

But, I usually try and keep things short and sweet anyway. So the use of them shouldn't be a big deal. But hey, different game suits different people.

Emoticons while texting?

I want to revive this old thread a bit and make a comment on emoticons.

A recent overseas trip last week has convinced me that mastery of emoticons has a place in your game.

Why?

1. Language is getting more visual than in ages past. The nature of language is changing, ever so subtly, into more of a visual form.

It's almost like we're going back in time to the Age of Pictographs, where Mayan, Egyptian, and other cultures' hieroglyphs played a part in communication.

2. Emoticons can express feelings that cross cultural barriers in ways that are very efficient. An emoticon can do in one picture what a phrase cannot.

3. Emoticons can enhance a feeling of lightness and playfulness that is sometimes needed when crossing cultural chasms.

4. Emoticons can add a dash of mystery to what is intended in a text. She will think, is he happy? Sad? Angry?

For example, think of what a WhatsApp "frog face" emoticon can do. What does it mean?

Planting a WhatsApp "frog face" in her field of vision is going to generate...emotion. And if you can engage her emotions, you can move the interaction along to your advantage.

Like anything else, emoticons can be overused. They can be used ineptly, clumsily, and inappropriately. Just like crushed red pepper. But placed at the right place and time, they can really light up the communication.

It's an art, like the entire seductive process. Emoticons are like humor, sarcasm, or heckling: a little is great, but too much is self-defeating.

I also think that they have more use overseas than here in the USA. Here, I don't use them as much. Emoticons play better with foreign women than with Americans. For a lot of reasons.

I know my brothers Roosh and Tuthmosis may disagree with me on this, but I and a fellow ROK writer just came back from a trip where we took notes on this issue. We don't believe we suffered any negative effects from using emoticons. When this thread was started in 2011, emoticons might have been of questionable value.

I think the time has come to reconsider this issue, and submit the issue to the council here for a second look.

So, it might be something for us to consider.

Emoticons while texting?

Quote: (12-30-2014 11:26 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  

I want to revive this old thread a bit and make a comment on emoticons. A recent overseas trip last week has convinced me that mastery of emoticons has a place in your game.

Why?

1. Language is getting more visual than in ages past. The nature of language is changing, ever so subtly, into more of a visual form. It's almost like we're going back in time to the Age of Pictographs, where Mayan, Egyptian, and other cultures' hieroglyphs played a part in communication.

2. Emoticons can express feelings that cross cultural barriers in ways that are very efficient. An emoticon can do in one picture what a phrase cannot.

3. Emoticons can enhance a feeling of lightness and playfulness that is sometimes needed when crossing cultural chasms.

4. Emoticons can add a dash of mystery to what is intended in a text. She will think, Is he happy? Sad? Angry?
For example, think of what a WhatsApp "frog face" emoticon can do. What does it mean? Planting a frog face in her field of vision is going to generate...emotion. And if you can engage her emotions, you can move the interaction along to your advantage.

Like anything else, emoticons can be overused. They can be used ineptly, clumsily, and inappropriately. Just like crushed red pepper. But placed at the right place and time, they can really light up the communication.

I know my brothers Roosh and Tuthmosis may disagree with me on this, but I and a fellow ROK writer just came back from a trip where we took notes on this issue. We don't believe we suffered any negative effects from using emoticons. When this thread was started in 2011, emoticons might have been of questionable value.

I think the time has come to reconsider this issue, and submit the issue to the council here for a second look.

So, it might be something for us to consider.

I totally agree with this. Great point on the foreign communication also. While stuff like a smiley face just makes you look like a wuss...actual emoticons are much more advanced now. I mean there are emoticons for dragons and hydras and flying saucers and shit. The key I think is that they must be used cleverly and creatively in ways that show sophistication, rather than just being "cutesy" and gross.

Not to mention our society is becoming so dumbed down, that actually reading text is probably too tedious for young women with short attention spans. They may actually need visuals to stay engaged in the conversation.

Emoticons while texting?

There's a big difference between using emoticons in the USA, versus overseas. I notice that in Europe (especially eastern europe, but even germany, sweden, etc), it's very acceptable to use emoticons, and not doing so can often be perceived like you're angry. Even guys will text other guys using smiley faces. So I'd definitely encourage emoticon usage there. However, in the USA, my experience has been that emoticon usage can be a turnoff for girls. The best texts seem to be short, aloof, lacking punctuation, and spiced up with some grammatical errors.

Emoticons while texting?

I do like to mix in a few emojis/emoticons when I'm texting a girl. But I do it sparingly, only with girls I know who have a sense of humour and can read the underlying playfulness of it all.

A couple of my favourites are:

Smiling Face With Horns

[Image: pXABi8w.jpg]

I'll use this one when I'm teasing with a hint of innuendo or using a double entendre.

Pile Of Poo
[Image: 0aiMxJs.jpg]

I'll use the this one too. When I'm being difficult or telling a girl no. Example of this would be:

Her: Let's hang out tonight!
Me: no can do. work tomorrow morning/with my other gf/etc
Her: You suck!
Me: Emoji poo (terminate conversation)

Emojis I Avoid

I never, ever use effeminate emojis like these ones:
[Image: o9oOZtq.jpg]
[Image: xWczJle.jpg]

Emoticons while texting?

After you've gotten the bang, and if the culture values overt displays of affection (e.g., Latin American), you can use the "lovey-dovey" emoticons here and there without undue harm. It's all in how you do it.

Try to use some of the more obscure ones, too. WhatsApp has tons of little glyphs that no one uses? Why? I say: spread 'em around, sprinkle them here and there like hot sauce.

Let 'em think about what you meant by them. The more they're wondering about you and your thoughts, the more you are leading the interaction forward.

Emoticons while texting?

I'm a fan of these two, used as a sole response to whatever she said.

[Image: tumblr_inline_n62prmtYu41qcokny.png]

[Image: sticker,375x360.u1.png]

Emoticons while texting?

Use sparingly, but they can definitely help with "push-pull" game. They are indirectly playful.

Emoticons while texting?

I agree with Roosh... use one fourth of what she uses. I use the snarky ones when I'm negging her or with sexual innuendo. I think they're funny sometimes and have their uses.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT