rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Work as a salesman in foreign countries

I am an IT worker, graduated B.A in business and worked in different kind of office jobs for many years. Recently, after reading the manosphere for a long period of time, I decided to go for the passion that I had for a long time ago which is being location independent and start a business.

I always struggled to stay in the boring office jobs, knowing that I'm smarter than the usual office rats. Didn't have the support from anyone for the step of quitting and being independent, so I neglected the idea every time that it came up.
I've started to learn programming more seriously and want to start a business ASAP.

Meanwhile I want to save some money and travel at the same time, I can't stand the office jobs anymore and don't want to stay at my current location. Many of you don't know that it's a typical western country, not so different than the US or EU, only more expensive.
Never traveled alone so I feel the need to do it even for a short time.

I never did sales and always thought this job is for losers, but I think it's a good skill that I should learn for the future business.
I can get a job as a salesman in a shopping center in South Africa/Thailand or even Canada, which will also improve the language skill.

Should I start the salesman position and travel at the same time, or just travel for a month then skip to the business when I come back? this step is the hardest for me cause I approach my thirties and can't lose more time.
May be I should stay at the office job for a while to save some cash, but how much do I really have to save so I would be able to start?

Sales is sales. Work part time first to see whether you have the skills to close. Don't risk everything and find yourself broke down the line. Since you are in IT, get a presales job if possible. Then after a few years, you can start doing corporate IT sales.

delete

I was talking about a specific job offer in sales which I consider because of the language improvement and traveling at the same time.

What about Capetown?

What kind of sales job are you talking about that you could possibly do in varied locations like SA and Thailand?

I've seen some western dudes abroad doing things like:

-Working in fancy tea shops as a "head waiter" or something, all suited up
-Working in a fancy cafe as a sort of greeter (i.e. holding the door open - lol)
-Some sort of "brand ambassador" for french wine in a mall

The common theme is, white face + fancy western product, and talk some BS to customers.

Quote: (01-08-2016 12:08 PM)RichieP Wrote:  

What kind of sales job are you talking about that you could possibly do in varied locations like SA and Thailand?

I've seen some western dudes abroad doing things like:

-Working in fancy tea shops as a "head waiter" or something, all suited up
-Working in a fancy cafe as a sort of greeter (i.e. holding the door open - lol)
-Some sort of "brand ambassador" for french wine in a mall

The common theme is, white face + fancy western product, and talk some BS to customers.

It's cosmetics products from the dead sea and other crap, mostly in different malls(a stand in the middle of the mall). I would like to move to Thailand anyway, but not sure this kind of sales will pay the bills. South Africa has more costumers that will pay for that.

Is Thailand cheaper than South Africa?

Ok yeah. I'd be surprised if they'd hire non-Thais for that since most Thai people speak terrible English. Then again, it's a luxury product and maybe they specifically want western faces.

In any case, your salary shouldn't really depend on the local wage (the going rate for a thai sales assistant would not be anywhere near enough for a westerner there).

Dunno about comparisons to SA, but you can live on $1k-$2k USD per month in Bangkok. $2k is comfortable but not lux (your own nice but small apartment, eating out a fair bit but nothing fancy), $1k would be base-level survival, but possible.

Thai sales assistant would earn $200-$300. But they would live in shared local shitholes, eating and drinking at local street stalls, or otherwise be subsidised by family. Budget $1k a month minimum, more like $1.5k.

Quote: (01-09-2016 01:42 PM)RichieP Wrote:  

Ok yeah. I'd be surprised if they'd hire non-Thais for that since most Thai people speak terrible English. Then again, it's a luxury product and maybe they specifically want western faces.

In any case, your salary shouldn't really depend on the local wage (the going rate for a thai sales assistant would not be anywhere near enough for a westerner there).

Dunno about comparisons to SA, but you can live on $1k-$2k USD per month in Bangkok. $2k is comfortable but not lux (your own nice but small apartment, eating out a fair bit but nothing fancy), $1k would be base-level survival, but possible.

Thai sales assistant would earn $200-$300. But they would live in shared local shitholes, eating and drinking at local street stalls, or otherwise be subsidised by family. Budget $1k a month minimum, more like $1.5k.

I compared some countries prices in Numbeo.com, it appears that Bangkok is more expensive than Capetown and even more than Bogota, so I don't know how much I can trust this data from the website.

numbeo gives you a rough idea but it will come down to your specific circumstances. Better to ask around and find out what people recommend for budgets for capetown and what it will get you there.

I'd guess BKK is probably somewhat cheaper for food and rent in a safe area than Capetown.

Quote: (01-09-2016 02:35 PM)RichieP Wrote:  

numbeo gives you a rough idea but it will come down to your specific circumstances. Better to ask around and find out what people recommend for budgets for capetown and what it will get you there.

I'd guess BKK is probably somewhat cheaper for food and rent in a safe area than Capetown.

I decided to stick to my original plan which is learning programming and being location independent instead of the shitty sales jobs. I'm going to visit Thailand for a short trip, although I prefer bigger asses, then decide if it suitable for me staying there in the future.