rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Not paying UK TV License

Not paying UK TV License

Personally I find the BBC TV license tax to be a complete and utter joke.

Since i'm going to be moving somewhat often around the country, I'm probably going to be forced to pay it again.

Frankly, I'd rather tell them to stuff it. Between Doctor Who becoming a disgusting platform for degenerate "mixing" of humans among aliens (ahem migrants) and the Dorian Yates drive by hit, I don't want my money to support this degenerate machine.

I've asked a few local folks and they're sufficiently cucked into paying for it. The level of misinformation among the populace is so staggering I end up just Googling around myself.

So RvF gents: What tips can I use to get the TV licensing folks to bugger off?

Not paying UK TV License

Quite easy, you go online to the tv licensing site and state you dont want one. And then you are left alone.

On the off chance that they pay you a house visit to check if you have a TV, just don't let them in, I wrote about this in another thread, they have no jurisdiction to enter your house without your permission. They rely on the typical overly polite Brit to let them in when asked, if you just say "no you are not allowed, fuck off" you should be fine.

Not paying UK TV License

I've never paid it in 10 years.

Not going to start either.

Not paying UK TV License

It's often claimed that they have 'TV detector vans'. Whilst it is true that they have 'Licencing enforcement vans' complete with satellite dishes and ariels, I'm pretty convinced that this is just an eleborate way to scare-monger the populace. RVF sparkies, please chime in if I'm talking bollocks (wouldn't be the first time), but a TV receives signals, right? It doesn't emit anything that could be used to identify it as a television rather than another electrical device, much less allow somone to pinpoint it's exact location.

Or is that not the case?

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

Not paying UK TV License

Quote: (11-23-2015 11:16 AM)roberto Wrote:  

It's often claimed that they have 'TV detector vans'. Whilst it is true that they have 'Licencing enforcement vans' complete with satellite dishes and ariels, I'm pretty convinced that this is just an eleborate way to scare-monger the populace. RVF sparkies, please chime in if I'm talking bollocks (wouldn't be the first time), but a TV receives signals, right? It doesn't emit anything that could be used to identify it as a television rather than another electrical device, much less allow somone to pinpoint it's exact location.

Or is that not the case?

The equipment you're talking about is TEMPEST, and I can assure you the BBC could not afford to use it, let alone receive the legal right to use it as it is spying equipment. (It's use would be regulated by Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) 2000 for those interested).

Never open the door to TV licence gob shites. If they knock, lean out of an upstairs window and tell them to go fuck themselves. Never have, and never will pay it. Besides, it's meant to be getting scrapped soon.

Edit: Also, never confirm your name when they knock, and never respond to letters from them. If you confirm your name, there is the possibility of getting a summons.

Not paying UK TV License

It's such a crock of shit. If anyone asks you to give your name or prove you have a TV License you can tell them to fuck off.

Not paying UK TV License

Quote: (11-23-2015 11:16 AM)roberto Wrote:  

Or is that not the case?

When an electronic device like a radio or television is on and receiving programming through the air the device itself can emit a faint signal on a fundamental frequency and harmonic frequencies of the original channel. For example, say you are listening to 105.9 MHz in the FM band. You radio will re-radiate that signal very faintly on 116.6 MHz, 211.8 MHz, and 317.7 MHz. So it is possible to have a device that detects the fundamental frequency and harmonic frequencies and then do a little math and return back the station you are listening to.

I never really tried it before but since I have a spectrum analyzer here with me I may as well mess around with it and see how noticeable it is.

See here an expire patent that goes into more details:
System and method for detecting harmonics of RF broadcast station survey signals
http://www.google.com/patents/US6684054

Not paying UK TV License

Go on their website and make a declaration that you don't receive broadcast TV. They will leave you alone.

Why would anyone want to watch broadcast British TV anyway, it's garbage.

edit: NewMeta beat me to it.

Not paying UK TV License

If they knock on your door, just say you're not the homeowner if they ask. Then they will leave. Works every time.

Not paying UK TV License

Probably a good idea to not have the TV in plain view from the outside, either through windows or an opened front door. Also good to mute it or turn it off when answering the door.

On the topic of signal detection, how would they be able to pinpoint the source as definitively you and not a neighbour?

Not paying UK TV License

At least in UK you can tell them to bugger off. In Croatia, it doesn't make any difference. A bill still arrives to your address, and if you don't pay a foreclosure from a public notary forcefully takes money from your bank account, along with late penalties and other expenses. Some people have been thrown out of their houses simply for not paying a few installments of that parasitic "TV fee".

It's basically a tax on existence.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

Not paying UK TV License

^^^
What if you don't have a TV?

I heard that in Germany this is a hard one to dodge as well.

Not paying UK TV License

I have often tried to avoid paying my TV license but in the end it was more hassle than it was worth. Constantly receiving threatening letters, phone calls and on occasions visits from the TV authorities.
You can dodge as much as you like but the whole thing just made me feel uneasy. I want an easy life and when somethings niggling away like that it's just less hassle to pay the damn thing. I think thats how they get you in the end.

Not paying UK TV License

I'm American so pardon my ignorance, but you boys across the pond have to buy a license to watch your own TV?! Who the hell came up with that!?

Not paying UK TV License

Yeah £145.50. The licence is just for the BBC as its a public service broadcaster. You have to pay additional subscription fees for cable/sky/sports etc.

I personally don't mind paying it. The documentaries are pretty good, and by it's nature the news is usually well-rounded as ultimately the broadcaster is answerable to Parliament - I prefer this to Rupert Murdoch and his News Corp. The licence fee also funds the BBC World Service which is one of the UK's biggest cultural exports and source of soft power. It also means there are zero commercials!

Not paying UK TV License

Quote: (11-26-2015 06:00 PM)Alpha_Romeo Wrote:  

On the topic of signal detection, how would they be able to pinpoint the source as definitively you and not a neighbour?

The detection device would use a highly directional antenna so they would be able to hone in on the actual area where the device is. Of course this applies to only televisions using antennas/over the air broadcast.

Not paying UK TV License

Question, if you use a projector and you stream tv from the Internet, would they still charge a tv tax?

Not paying UK TV License

Quote: (11-28-2015 02:47 PM)tomtud Wrote:  

Question, if you use a projector and you stream tv from the Internet, would they still charge a tv tax?

Technically you need a licence if you watch any tv as it is broadcast, live so to speak, over the web. Anything else, no.

So if you watch the Apprentice, as it is broadcast generally, on Iplayer, you need a licence.

If you only watch catch up and web stuff, then no you don't.

The method by which you watch it, i.e. a projector, is irrelevant.

Not paying UK TV License

Quote: (11-28-2015 06:07 AM)gadabout Wrote:  

I have often tried to avoid paying my TV license but in the end it was more hassle than it was worth. Constantly receiving threatening letters, phone calls and on occasions visits from the TV authorities.
You can dodge as much as you like but the whole thing just made me feel uneasy. I want an easy life and when somethings niggling away like that it's just less hassle to pay the damn thing. I think thats how they get you in the end.

Here's the crazy thing with me. I pay £120pcm for my Sky Tv package in my house. I just object to the licence. The £ amount means nothing to me.

I see it as a battle of wills.

I don't want to pay it. They want me to pay it.

There can only be one winner. So far it's me.