rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Asia Entrepreneurs Declassified

I am considering making a product/community that is a bit different from the other "blueprint" career-hacking information products for China.

ASIA ENTREPRENEURS DECLASSIFIED

I will basically conduct hundreds of video interviews with successful expat entrepreneurs across Asia-Pacific either live or via skype. All of the dirty stories, access to a network and community of seasoned expat entrepreneurs, all in an easily digestible video format.

The content of these interviews would include:

Insider information

Tactics

Strategies

Success/Failure stories from veteran Asia entrepreneurs

-Silicon valley entrepreneur turned nuclear import/export supplier
-Korean importing LG helicopters to Chinese CEOs
-1 million RMB, 8 months - the story of a hotshot 26-year-old Canadian broker in Shanghai
-Penthouses and Prisons - The highs and lows of working as the first foreigner in China's first privately owned newspaper

Industry-specific information

-How to not get your resort shut down by the Thai Mafia in Koh Samui
-Is your Shanghainese commercial real estate broker lying to you?
-Top ten coming trends in the Chinese luxury tourism market

-----------------------------------------------------

This is the general idea now. I wouldn't necessarily be giving a step by step plan to solve a certain problem or solution, but rather have a libary/archive/community.

CASHFLOW: Since this product/community/archive would be constantly updated, I would have recurring monthly payments for anyone who joins the community. This lies in contrast with my "blueprint" products in that the blueprints are a one-time fee.

I'd like the rooshvforum community's opinion on the commercial viability of this venture and if you would find value in such an archive and network of "declassified entrepreneurs" sharing their unique stories and strategies.

I wouldn't flinch at paying $99 a month for this product. The Success/Failure stories are especially what interests me because I learn best when hearing someone's life story. I have a strong interest in working/starting a business in Asia and this program would be valuable because it would open my eyes to the kinds of opportunities that are out there.

I would most certainly use it. Price would depend on the size and quality of the community and quality of content. In that order I think. I'm an entrepreneur and fascinated by doing business in Asia.

I really like the shift to the subscription model.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

When I read this book....

http://www.amazon.com/China-Entrepreneur...0470823216

...I felt like it wasn't "raw" enough. It wasn't hard hitting, tactical, and perhaps a bit boots-on-the-ground dirty. There were no stories about getting local government officials wasted at karaokes, trouble with the Triads, and vodka-fueled nights with Shanghainese Stunners. It felt too PC, too clean, and my instincts told me that there was a layer that was not being told.

I want to uncover some of the raw stories that this publisher would not have allowed this book to reveal.

It is also in a static format (written content in a book) whereas I think people would benefit more from a video/audio format + community for something like this.

Check out this website, Sardino:

http://www.chinasuccessstories.com

Caligula: I think I would build up a base of at least 100 interviews, conducted in rapid fire mode over the course of 1-2 months with a marketing launch building. I don't know how big the community would be in the beginning - the value would come out of the "insider information" aspect as I would be covering a range of industries and stories.

I almost want to make it kind of sexy and turn them into "Episodes" or "Webisodes".....but that might take too much effort in production. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, I like subscription models too. Recurring income is everything, although in this case it would not really be passive as I'd have to continuously update it in order to justify the recurring payments. Having said that, I kill two birds with one stone as my goal is to have a reason to reach out to and network with high-level seasoned veteran Asia entrepreneurs and possibly find a mentor. It's like I'm getting paid to get free consultations from those who have been there, done that.

I would definitely pay for this service! Pure Genius!

Please email me if you are considering this because I will definitely be a customer and if not then I will take the idea lol I just might either way (almost 200 countries out there). [Image: banana.gif]

Two Suggestions:

1) Dont be intimidated by having to produce the webinars or videos of interviews, there is a learning curve but producting videos is really not that hard, think of how many people upload videos and songs w lyrics on youtube. they wouldnt do this if it was too difficult.

2) Because foreign languages and accents are involved, please put subtitles on these videos so that people with hearing loss or whom have trouble understanding accents can use this service.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your feedback Defguy, I've made a note of it.

I've thought of the subtitles thing actually, because there are a lot of Euro and Middle Eastern expats here who would be more comfortable speaking in their mother tongues. I think this would be good, as there are many audiences that would benefit from an Arabic/Russian/French/Turkish presentation - they would be able to pick up on subtleties and nuances that would otherwise not be effectively communicated.

If anyone has any other ideas for things they would like to see included I would be glad to consider and oblige. My goal is to give a generation of young people a hope, vision, and opportunity for the myriad opportunites available for them outside of their borders - if they are willing to build the courage and forge the will to do so.

Quote: (06-23-2011 10:43 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Yeah, I like subscription models too. Recurring income is everything, although in this case it would not really be passive as I'd have to continuously update it in order to justify the recurring payments. Having said that, I kill two birds with one stone as my goal is to have a reason to reach out to and network with high-level seasoned veteran Asia entrepreneurs and possibly find a mentor. It's like I'm getting paid to get free consultations from those who have been there, done that.

Nobody says you have to give access to 100 interviews all at once. In fact if you gave someone 100 10 or 20 minutes interviews all at once they might feel overwhelmed and might not value each interview as much since they have so many of them. You could set it up so that you give people access to X new interviews every month or if they want them all at once they could pay a big lump sum in the beginning for them.

One thing I can see being an issue is whether or not these people will want to be associated with this product, or give away their trade/industry secrets in order to be featured in a private membership website.

If that becomes an issue, I suppose I can focus more on the "stories" side of the equation. I personally learn a lot hearing about people's stories of failure and eventual triumph in business - probably just as much as a bullet point they might give me about their ten step plans to success. It's easier to pull analogies out of those.

What I am thinking of doing is taking the book I listed, China Entrepreneur, and turning it into a digital/video membership site format. The entire thing will almost exclusively be video interviews, or possibly powerpoint screencast interviews if the person does not want to be featured in video form. Example:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/muselife/videos/31/

Just at the conceptual phase at the moment. I've got to focus on my other products that I've got in the pipeline. If/when this launches, it would be more of a long term project with the dual purpose of creating cash flow and possibly finding a mentor.

I WILL PAY FOR THIS.

This is a gold! goldmine!

holy shite batman! why havent you get this kicking already?! If you've started 2 years ago, by now, who knows how big it would have been already!

There will be some few minutes of fun interviews posted on youtube or what-have-you...the remaining detailed interview will be behind subscription walls. Leveraging social media to the hilt, affiliates, adverts, etc, the works. Of course, you can write a book about it after two or so years. Also illustrating how you've personally applied these lessons to your own professional life.

One more thing: the interviewers should be preferably you and some rotating crop of hot, very smart female asians. To keep things fresh. There are plenty of hot arse, smart asian women with dreams of being in the media business that will see this as an opportunity. That is the reasons for all those women hanging around timothy delaghetto.

Also, why are you worried that some of the interviewees wont want to share their trade secrets? come on! Just ask your questions..and put the burden on them to worry about how much to share.

Are you familiar with the three Market Wizards books by Jack Schwager?

Anyways, make the site cool and hip. Include as much of asia as possible. targeted subtitles, etc....

this is gold shite, man; gold shite.

the TYT(the young turks) started with nothing...the founder(Cenk Uygur) is now worth $3million or so. They went from that--with the horrible sound and video quality; they couldnt book their own mother on the show if they tried; but now, they have celebrities left and right and over 1 billion views. Yes, the network too.

Who knows, your site could later be bought by an aggressive asian media company who looks to expand into cool, hip, young demographics with business side.

the HuffPo was started with pittance in 2005...and 6 years later, it was acquired later for $300million by AOL.

YOU NEVER KNOW, MAN.....

P.S.THE bigger and bigger media exposure means: more access to elite asian society and more elite poon. Domino effects.

A year from now you will wish you had started today.....May fortune favours the bold.

If you are that close with those important personals for them to give you valuable info, why don't you do something with them using their network? instead of making only $100 bucks per head?

Quote: (07-13-2013 06:59 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

If you are that close with those important personals for them to give you valuable info, why don't you do something with them using their network? instead of making only $100 bucks per head?

I dont know, but i think it is possible to chew gum and walk at the same time. It is not a either/or situation.

If you've read youngglobalmobile other threads, he is aggressively doing this(networking). case in point is the asian elite circles.

ANYWAYS.......

i am about 1/3rd of my way done through all of YMG threads. I have a few questions:

First, off what happened to Asia Entrepreneur Declassified? I think that was the solid stuff.

#2. Can you send me a PDF of Network Infiltration? . I will PM you my email. How does it compare to the info on this thread? When i have time, i will also try and look into other network infiltration threads.

#3. I couldnt find the link here anymore. Escape Artist Colombia. Curious as to what is it about. the link is not working.

#4. Any future updates on YMG blog? The thread stopped dead. Your website is non functional too, it seems. Oh yes, on a sidenote:I have a rule: dont do business with friends. I have been severely burned in the past.

#5. Whenever you see any cool TED videos, feel free to send them to me. okay? thank you.

#6. Brit abroads is cool stuff. I like the other series...took me some time to watch all of them. Will try and jot down some business/life lessons, and see where i can apply them. So are your own china business hacks series.
If anybody have info or links to series like these:about expats doing business in different countries, please, let me know.
I think SCOTIAN and Hooligan Harry may also have some good stuff on doing business in frontier markets. I will try and read them next two weeks or so.

I give it to you, man; you have some serious stuff. I have been digging through them all fracking day.

ANYWAYS, as i finished reading the rest of your remaining threads tomorrow...i will ask more questions...i am only 1/3rd through all your threads.

A year from now you will wish you had started today.....May fortune favours the bold.

Here is a inspiring success story :

"While Juwai might be a young company, it is no longer a “start-up” having quickly become the world’s number one destination for Mandarin speakers looking to buy ­property overseas.

Last year, that was a $US54 billion ($58.8 billion) global market and Juwai, which attracts 1.5 million unique visitors a month, is usually the first place China’s newly rich begin their search."

http://www.afr.com/p/national/the_proper...jkjTVnB1WI

Quote: (07-13-2013 06:59 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  

Yes, exactly. This is the reason why this thread is 2 years old and I didn't update it. I realized that there were better opportunities for business outside of the context of an information product here and I moved on that opportunity instead.

#2. Can you send me a PDF of Network Infiltration? . I will PM you my email. How does it compare to the info on this thread? When i have time, i will also try and look into other network infiltration threads.

Sent you a link via PM.

#4. Any future updates on YMG blog? The thread stopped dead. Your website is non functional too, it seems. Oh yes, on a sidenote:I have a rule: dont do business with friends. I have been severely burned in the past.

I realized that I had no purpose or direction with that specific blog besides just having a website. I decided to invest my time and energy into profit producing activities instead of just having a voice on the web. It was a good decision. I was also doing my thesis and working a full time job at the time and did not have the time/energy/resources to keep updating it.

If anybody have info or links to series like these:about expats doing business in different countries, please, let me know.
I think SCOTIAN and Hooligan Harry may also have some good stuff on doing business in frontier markets. I will try and read them next two weeks or so.

Look up "BBC Adventure Capitalists" on Youtube

Just read your PM. i understand and respect your concerns.

i completely understand.

All future correspondence with regards to such matters will be through PM only and only.

This is a weird place.

Thread closed.

Quote: (07-13-2013 11:39 PM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Sent you a link via PM.

I realized that I had no purpose or direction with that specific blog besides just having a website. I decided to invest my time and energy into profit producing activities instead of just having a voice on the web. It was a good decision. I was also doing my thesis and working a full time job at the time and did not have the time/energy/resources to keep updating it.

Look up "BBC Adventure Capitalists" on Youtube

Membership sites normally have an average retention rate of 3 to 4 months based on my and fellow colleagues experiences.

I think this type of info would have a lower retention rate unless you are offering something more. Not everyone will be interested in each month's topic. A lot of these interviews will read the same even if they may be different.

If you are doing some sort of archive, expect people to sign up for a month, download everything and stopping membership at the end of their first month. You would be better off spreading access of the content out every month instead of giving them complete access.

If you go with a membership site, I think you need something else to help your stick rate. An interactive community, updated contact lists, etc... You have to sell the next month as well. Make them want the content of the next month in order to keep them paying.

I didn't notice this was a 2 year old bump.

Quote: (07-14-2013 12:50 AM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Membership sites normally have an average retention rate of 3 to 4 months based on my and fellow colleagues experiences.

I think this type of info would have a lower retention rate unless you are offering something more. Not everyone will be interested in each month's topic. A lot of these interviews will read the same even if they may be different.

If you are doing some sort of archive, expect people to sign up for a month, download everything and stopping membership at the end of their first month. You would be better off spreading access of the content out every month instead of giving them complete access.

If you go with a membership site, I think you need something else to help your stick rate. An interactive community, updated contact lists, etc... You have to sell the next month as well. Make them want the content of the next month in order to keep them paying.

Again....

.....two year old thread....

.....idea was scrapped because better opportunities were found....

[Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (07-14-2013 01:05 AM)youngmobileglobal Wrote:  

Quote: (07-14-2013 12:50 AM)worldwidetraveler Wrote:  

Again....

.....two year old thread....

.....idea was scrapped because better opportunities were found....

[Image: smile.gif]

Yeah, I just noticed it was from 2 years ago. I wish people wouldn't bump these old thread.

Either way, what I posted is still something for others to think about if they decide on the membership model.

I think that with the right marketing it is a huge "Fastlane" product.