rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cryotherapy salon employee freezes herself to death

This is why women and science don't mix well.

Quote:Quote:

[Image: 27freeze-blog427.jpg]

HENDERSON, Nev. — Chelsea Ake-Salvacion felt she was on health care’s cutting edge, working at a cryotherapy center in this Las Vegas suburb that promised to help clients burn calories, reduce pain, strengthen immune systems and halt aging by embedding them in freezing tanks for a few minutes at a time.

In her off hours, she engaged in the practice, and dreamed of opening her own cryotherapy center once she had learned the ropes.

But last week, Ms. Ake-Salvacion, 24, was found dead in one of the tanks, discovered by her colleague and friend Elise Iverson. After working an evening shift on Oct. 19 at the Rejuvenice spa here, which offers two forms of deep-freeze therapy, in tanks that can reach temperatures of minus 240 degrees Fahrenheit, she had stayed to give herself a cryotherapy session. She was found the next day.

A local coroner’s office said the cause of death had not yet been determined. But Ms. Ake-Salvacion’s uncle said the coroner had told him his niece’s body was found “rock-hard solid.”

“Something went wrong,” said the uncle, Albert Ake, 48. “What she told me is that there is nothing dangerous about doing this. That the only thing that could happen is you’re there a little too long and you get frost nip on your fingers.”

Ms. Ake-Salvacion was a Hawaiian who had moved to Las Vegas in recent years with her boyfriend. When her boyfriend returned to Hawaii, Ms Ake-Salvacion stayed in Nevada, eager to excel at her new job as a manager at the spa, said Mr. Ake, her uncle. “She loved that work,” he said.

On Monday, Oct. 19, Ms. Ake-Salvacion was working a closing shift. About 7:30 p.m. she sent a text message to her boyfriend, telling him that her body was aching and that she was going to hop in one of the tanks for a bit. “That was the last she texted him,” said Mr. Ake. The coroner’s office told Mr. Ake that his niece died just minutes after getting into the chamber.

Ms. Ake-Salvacion used to work out at a gym across the street from Rejuvenice, Ms. Cap said. “She was working out a lot,” Ms. Cap said. “She would post her workouts on Instagram.”

Cryotherapy is billed as being excellent for muscle pain. “She must have been really sore,” Ms. Cap said. “I don’t know why she would go in there alone. We don’t do that.” One reason people do not try it solo, Ms. Cap said, is that the nitrogen gas used to chill the air can be debilitating

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/27/u...en....html?_r=0

I bet they tell clients the same thing, there is nothing dangerous about getting into tanks which can go down to -240F [Image: dodgy.gif]

Just like women used to say tanning beds were safe because it's not real sunlight, until they found out it caused skin cancer.

I wonder though, would it be possible to thaw her out in the future with future tech?

WB

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

I'm sure she fucked it up somehow, but even when performed correctly this seems like an awful idea.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

This is a really weak thread, and not something to celebrate.

There are plenty of men who use that technology, and clearly she had been using it many times fine in the past.

It's not like she suddenly became stupid, the various articles I've read on this point out that they still don't know where the problem occurred.

More and more top athletes are getting interested in cryotherapy and other forms of recovery, are you gonna pat yourself on the back if an NFL player has an accident?

Tasteless thread.

Also, What's with the wb post?

I wonder if she passed out or fainted somehow?

Too bad. Young cute girl. Definitely tasteless the way this thread was made.

That shit sounds so dangerous that the regulations ought to say that someone must be monitoring you at all times.

What are the odds that that is indeed what the regs say, and she ignored them?

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

That sucks, would unfreeze with my raging boner

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

Had no clue this was a thing. Humans hanging out in -240 F temperatures on purpose? Sounds retarded to be honest. I can see there being therapeutic value in exposing yourself to cold temperatures at times, but that's pretty extreme. Shit can kill you in a matter of minutes.

Did a little reading on it and it looks to me like the research of adverse effects are not extensive enough. Tasteless thread intentions or not, this woman was an idiot for doing this unsupervised.

-240 degrees Fahrenheit makes Antarctica look like Miami.

tasteless yes, my guess is she stayed in much longer than the 2-3 minutes that you are supposed to.

This is a warning to everyone not to believe the latest extreme wonder fad, along with the sage advice of moderation in all things.

It seems like people are taking the idea of icing sore muscles as a good thing and saying "well, more must be better right?"

Dying ain't no way to cure a sore body.

Most NBA and NFL teams are using this technology. I wouldn't say its a fad considering these guys dump 10's to 100's of millions of dollars in finding cutting edge ways to rejuvenate players. I doubt these teams would be doing it if it wasn't safe.

[Image: Cleveland_Cavaliers_offer_cryotherapy_as...20_240.jpg]

Quote: (11-08-2015 04:03 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

tasteless yes, my guess is she stayed in much longer than the 2-3 minutes that you are supposed to.

If I remember correctly these use liquid nitrogen. You need to be careful to set the height of the nitrogen to be below your head. While nitrogen is inert (and mostly what we breath) it displaces oxygen when it is in pure form.

Most likely she set the height incorrectly and fainted due to oxygen deprivation and then suffocated. After that she was frozen.

Quote: (11-08-2015 04:57 PM)Gringuito Wrote:  

Quote: (11-08-2015 04:03 PM)Vaun Wrote:  

If I remember correctly these use liquid nitrogen. You need to be careful to set the height of the nitrogen to be below your head. While nitrogen is inert (and mostly what we breath) it displaces oxygen when it is in pure form.

Most likely she set the height incorrectly and fainted due to oxygen deprivation and then suffocated. After that she was frozen.

Yeah, its been proven safe for many years, its just now getting all this attention in the press. My guess is that she misused the equipment. Since she was an experienced attendent you can only guess that she was pushing the envelope with the exposure, or the equipment failed and it was a freak accident.

Quote: (11-08-2015 04:51 PM)EuphoricWizard Wrote:  

Most NBA and NFL teams are using this technology. I wouldn't say its a fad considering these guys dump 10's to 100's of millions of dollars in finding cutting edge ways to rejuvenate players. I doubt these teams would be doing it if it wasn't safe.

Just because professionals use it doesn't mean it is safe. They aren't paying 10's to 100's of million dollars to be safe. They are paying that kind of money to get an edge on performance for their athletes. The same reason why some athletes may use drugs.

Quote: (11-08-2015 03:04 PM)RioNomad Wrote:  

I wonder if she passed out or fainted somehow?

Too bad. Young cute girl. Definitely tasteless the way this thread was made.

She was probably really short.

[Image: 63799c000124b596e97283403aa6686f.jpg]

If she was a avid user (more so then regualrs who pay the pricy fees) she likely got to comfy with the cold and maybe tempted to stay in a minute longer then usual. This is no different than getting cocky in the gym with your deadlift and fucking up your back, or tearing your cuff or pec on the bench press. The chief difference is that instead of a injury her activity had a fine line in killing someone. That seems like the most plausable thing.

It is stupid to pin this on her being a female. If anything since women are risk shy then likely you would see more men die from this if it wasn't a pseduo beauty procedure which likely has a lot of female staff present (and users).

Its a fucked up way to go out. Its a poor outcome from being risky and testing your luck. Nothing points to this being a female/male thing, I find it bizzare when folks go for that all the time. It is VERY EASY to point out when female flaws and male flaws shine through in situations.

I want to know though how this pseudo freeze stuff gets away (legally, business lic., etc) with what it does especially with that fine line in being able to kill somebody.

I wonder if doing cryotherapy has any has much of an advantage over taking cold showers or an ice bath. Most studies that I've seen seem to show that basic ice baths are pretty beneficial and safe, so I'm not sure about the upside of going into -240 degree temperatures unless it really helps a ton. But I'm curious to here more about it from anyone who knows.

I wonder if it has any similar effects to this cooling glove from stanford I heard about awhile ago

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/augus...82912.html

As a guy who has taken plenty of ice baths (no more than 15 minutes at a time) there is nothing wrong with cryotherapy as long as you use it safely. The optimal time is approximately 3 minutes but anymore than that and you're risking severe damage. Also you cant submerge your head in these cyrotherapy tubes if she did then she could die like a few people have already said on this thread.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/11/cell-pho...death.html

Sounds like she may of dropped her phone in the chamber and went after it.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT

Introducing the new Iphone 6 Plus.
More important than life itself.

Think different.

Quote: (11-08-2015 07:10 PM)RIslander Wrote:  

"The whole point of being alpha, is doing what the fuck you want.
That's why you see real life alphas without chicks. He's doing him.

Real alphas don't tend to have game. They don't tend to care about the emotional lives of the people around them."

-WIA

Quote: (11-08-2015 07:36 PM)SpiderKing Wrote:  

Introducing the new Iphone 6 Plus.
More important than life itself.

Think different.

Quote: (11-08-2015 07:10 PM)RIslander Wrote:  

[Image: iphone_rok.gif]

[Image: iphonelove_rok.jpg]

Well... Have any men died in this way? If not, it's probably safe to say it was indeed because of her gender.