rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Regulation Consultant Datasheet

What is a Regulation Consultant?

The world is full of laws and regulations. We usually get mad at them, because let's face it - it's annoying.
However - One company's problem, is another mans fortune.

A regulation consultant knows a specific field of regulation, and can advice companies (and people) on how to "go around" or comply.

What do you need in order to be one?

First and foremost – EXPERIENCE.
You must work the field for some years. Whether it is 6Sigma, commerce list, ITAR, health, environment or finance - You must show articulacy in the subject matter.

Second – you have to be a "salesman" .
You will need to present yourself, sell your skills and be able to play on people's fear.
Let's face it - you are selling "insurance" (You are hired so they will not be sued).
That is of course relevant to a lot of freelancers.

Third – Detail oriented person
You cannot "wing it". In regulation consulting, attention to details is key.
This is part of what you sell.

Fourth – knowledge seeker
Regulations tend to change, and one must be on top of it. You may need to read a lot, talk to people and maybe go to conferences (hopefully to lecture).
If you are not "that guy", drop it.

Pros

•Niche – there usually aren’t a lot of those. Having a reputation will make the clients come to you.
•You can work as a freelancer, but also be on the payroll (Some people prefer it).
•All the PROS of a freelancer..

Cons

•Legal responsibility (prepare to have Professional liability insurance, in case you messed up).
•Competition - Most regulations have a lot of consultants in the area. This means that you will need to drop your pants (as well as your price) to get the gig.
•Attrition - I have witnessed some regulation consultants burn, because you are at least one level removed from the core business of the company.
Also - you become "that annoying guy" who "keeps on stopping us".

Career path

You have to work the field for at least 2-3 years, specialize and build a reputation.
I became a national expert in Export Control regulation in less than 2 years time, because I worked for the regulator. That got me in contact with hundreds of companies, and helped me understand how the regulator thinks.
Some of the consultants learned it, being on a company payroll, or had something to do with it.

Do I recommend it?
Not for everyone.
It usually happens "by chance".
One can study the subject matter, but it is very hard.

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Sorry for hijacking your writeup, but during my studies I had some projects in CSR/compliance related fields and (briefly) worked in compliance, therfore...

1) what exactly are you consulting ? More like CSR or more like compliance or more like classic law? These are completely differnet things.
2) Who are potential clients? In my experience, compliance is a field which is mostly relevant for companies with more than 1000 employees.

On a personal note, it was my experience that compliance was dominated by wymminz (as any field where no actual competion is in play: government jobs, HR..) with a snarky / SJW-ish attitude. After all, they are being paid to know it better.

That being said, it is a heavily growing field. I had an interview with a dude who got a VP-like position at Siemens more or less after completing his doctorate in compliance /law, because exactly when he finished a huge scandal at Siemens blew up and he got hired. So any corporate scandal is hiring time for compliance (I imagine this for VW as well).

They wanted to hire me with a good offer, but I just couldn't imagine creating all these questionnaires that everyone hates (yeah, the mandatory ones) or similar for work. It still is a solid career option, though, because the competion is, well, ... mostly older, fat women.

I am wondering if there is any opportunity to do this job location independent. What are your experiences?

Quote: (10-26-2015 03:18 PM)ssvle Wrote:  

Sorry for hijacking your writeup, but during my studies I had some projects in CSR/compliance related fields and (briefly) worked in compliance, therfore...

1) what exactly are you consulting ? More like CSR or more like compliance or more like classic law? These are completely differnet things.
2) Who are potential clients? In my experience, compliance is a field which is mostly relevant for companies with more than 1000 employees.

On a personal note, it was my experience that compliance was dominated by wymminz (as any field where no actual competion is in play: government jobs, HR..) with a snarky / SJW-ish attitude. After all, they are being paid to know it better.

That being said, it is a heavily growing field. I had an interview with a dude who got a VP-like position at Siemens more or less after completing his doctorate in compliance /law, because exactly when he finished a huge scandal at Siemens blew up and he got hired. So any corporate scandal is hiring time for compliance (I imagine this for VW as well).

They wanted to hire me with a good offer, but I just couldn't imagine creating all these questionnaires that everyone hates (yeah, the mandatory ones) or similar for work. It still is a solid career option, though, because the competion is, well, ... mostly older, fat women.

SSVLE
Per question 1 - I'm consulting export control laws. The Eurpean name is Dual use goods and munitions.
It is a specific compliance area, although it is a "classic law", since every country has that sort of law.
Per Question 2 - Exporters of dual-use goods and services (there are a lot of those).
Once you know the material (US - commerce list, Europe - Wassenaar arrangement) you can locate industries.

Don't look at it like that (questionnaires) , you should inquire more about what exactly you will be doing.

As per fat women - the field as I saw it had overwhelmingly male population. However, as I stated, it is in a specific field.

Quote: (10-26-2015 04:06 PM)Fractal Wrote:  

I am wondering if there is any opportunity to do this job location independent. What are your experiences?

Fractal
It can be, but it is tricky. You have to have massive reputation for it.
Some of the work is done face-to-face.

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi