rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting annoyed by trivial things

I'm one of those people that quickly gets irritated by little things. Example:

I'm currently on holiday in Bucharest, having a good time, decided to go to a Turkish shoarma place for lunch but when I got there, a large group of elderly Israeli tourists had just arrived. They were being rude, loud, jumping ahead in the line etc.

My mood had been fine 1 minute earlier but from one moment to the next it felt like a dark cloud came over me. Being exposed to their behavior felt like some sort of personal attack on me, even though it obviously wasn't, it just felt like that. It took about 30 minutes to calm down after this.

I know suppressing isn't the answer and doesn't work. Has anyone ever successfully dealt with such anger issues, is there some sort of programme that can help with this? And I'm not referring to anger management classes here like you see in the movies.

Thanks

Z

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

Quote: (08-28-2015 08:07 AM)zanetti Wrote:  

I'm currently on holiday in Bucharest, having a good time, decided to go to a Turkish shoarma place for lunch but when I got there, a large group of elderly Israeli tourists had just arrived. They were being rude, loud, jumping ahead in the line etc.

My mood had been fine 1 minute earlier but from one moment to the next it felt like a dark cloud came over me. Being exposed to their behavior felt like some sort of personal attack on me, even though it obviously wasn't, it just felt like that. It took about 30 minutes to calm down after this.

I know suppressing isn't the answer and doesn't work. Has anyone ever successfully dealt with such anger issues, is there some sort of programme that can help with this? And I'm not referring to anger management classes here like you see in the movies.

Thanks

Z

You can control your emotions, even if you cannot control the situation. You can choose how you react to a situation. Try reciting to yourself whenever the anger starts building up: "I am responsible. I am responsible." It's difficult to maintain anger when you are intellectualising which emotion to choose.

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

=DELETE=

Quote: (08-28-2015 08:33 AM)Nonpareil Wrote:  

I spent summer in a resort town that's demographically about 50/50 retired seniors and kids there to party. Both did minor shit to jam me up that - looking back - was really nothing.

Ever been out to the corner store to buy smokes or mix...and been behind a senior that has like seven lottery tickets to check - and they don't use the automatic kiosks because either they don't know how or they distrust them? Your five minute trip to the store is now 20 minutes. USE THE FUCKING KIOSK!

Or, you live near a campground that hosts 300+ 19-23 year old kids a week, and when one accidentally tosses their frisbee over the fence and when you retrieve it for them you strike up conversation and ask if they can score you a dimebag, they say 'Yeah man, give me like five minutes...'

And then, FOUR HOURS LATER, when you're eating dinner with your parents they hop and knock on your backdoor with your weed? Appalling lack of tact (my parents don't care, but still).

I'm gonna go ahead and say the second story is 100% on you.

Anyway this shit happens to me fairy often because I have little to no patience and very little bullshit-tolerance. As years have gone on I've learned to let shit slide off my back pretty well, but ever so often it builds up and I end up snapping when I'm alone over something innocuous like making a PBJ sandwich and jelly squeezes out from the back of the sandwich when I go to take a bite and falls on the floor. I lose my shit and get it out of my system.

[Image: calvin-hobbes-serenity-prayer.gif]

Quote: (08-28-2015 08:16 AM)Paracelsus Wrote:  

Quote: (08-28-2015 08:07 AM)zanetti Wrote:  

Thanks

Z

You can control your emotions, even if you cannot control the situation. You can choose how you react to a situation. Try reciting to yourself whenever the anger starts building up: "I am responsible. I am responsible." It's difficult to maintain anger when you are intellectualising which emotion to choose.

Agreed.

There's no reason to get bent out of shape for things that are completely out of your control. Shit happens to all people, everywhere. The key is to realize that all these other people are going through their lives too - they're in different places in their own lives and may be completely oblivious to the fact that they are annoying or irritating someone else. Maybe they don't understand the local customs. Or... maybe they're really are just assholes, but if it's out of your hands it isn't worth adding to your own stress level.

Now that's not to say you shouldn't check someone when they cross the line, especially if they have truly wronged you. I firmly believe you should call people out on their shit when it's warranted and there's limited potential for retaliation.

I came to a number of realizations like this over the past couple of years and I will still get a bit pissed off when someone cuts me off in traffic or jumps the line. But you know what, at the end of the day I'm still going to get where I need to go and I'm going to forget about that radar blip in a few minutes anyway. You'll be much happier in life when you stop worrying about all the minutia. Life's too short. My 2c.

Vice-Captain - #TeamWaitAndSee

Once again the Red Pill and hanging out on this site was important training for that. It taught me -- for pretty much the first time -- that when some fuckwit says something said to be "offensive" on the Internet, the first and preferred option is to shake your head, grin, mutter "Fuckwit", and move on with your day as if nothing happened.

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

Greetings, Zanetti.

I do not know your age but generally speaking, as you grow older, you will start calming down and start giving lesser fucks about trivialities. That said, meditation may help you,too.

Quote: (08-28-2015 08:58 AM)General Stalin Wrote:  

Quote: (08-28-2015 08:33 AM)Nonpareil Wrote:  

I spent summer in a resort town that's demographically about 50/50 retired seniors and kids there to party. Both did minor shit to jam me up that - looking back - was really nothing.

Ever been out to the corner store to buy smokes or mix...and been behind a senior that has like seven lottery tickets to check - and they don't use the automatic kiosks because either they don't know how or they distrust them? Your five minute trip to the store is now 20 minutes. USE THE FUCKING KIOSK!

Or, you live near a campground that hosts 300+ 19-23 year old kids a week, and when one accidentally tosses their frisbee over the fence and when you retrieve it for them you strike up conversation and ask if they can score you a dimebag, they say 'Yeah man, give me like five minutes...'

And then, FOUR HOURS LATER, when you're eating dinner with your parents they hop and knock on your backdoor with your weed? Appalling lack of tact (my parents don't care, but still).

I'm gonna go ahead and say the second story is 100% on you.

Anyway this shit happens to me fairy often because I have little to no patience and very little bullshit-tolerance. As years have gone on I've learned to let shit slide off my back pretty well, but ever so often it builds up and I end up snapping when I'm alone over something innocuous like making a PBJ sandwich and jelly squeezes out from the back of the sandwich when I go to take a bite and falls on the floor. I lose my shit and get it out of my system.

I agree on the assessment of scenario #2. You're irked that a college kid you propositioned for weed did not give you an expeditious return? It seems like you lucked out in stumbling upon a supply more than anything. Hell, I'd almost commend the kid for making good. Four hours later in those situations usually mean whatever happened five hours before is a forgotten memory.

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
William Shakespeare, from Macbeth

For me the trick was to truly learn to not give a shit. I mean about anything, Abso fucking lutely nothing. I don't mean being depressed or suicidal. More like a state of apathy that was a blank canvas.

Sort of like this

"That's why I'm here"

Then I chose a handful of those things that I wanted to matter (travel, sex, surfing, scuba diving, reading, films, etc) and pursued them with passion. Now only the things that I'm passionate about matter and so little things don't even blip my radar.

I know all of this sounds cliche' , vague and overly simplistic. And if I had more time today I'd share more detail of my personal journey. I will suggest that you search for reading materials about "controlling one's mental state". Like anything else one might want to change it's only possible if you take action with conviction. You've posted here and that's a great first step so youre on the road already.

"Leap, and the net will appear". John Burroughs

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
Joseph Campbell

Thanks guys - some helpful views and advice

Detective Rust Cohle: "All the dick swagger you roll, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

Talk to yourself in your own head when. Start asking, "Why am I annoyed? Why does this bother me? What parts of this situation can I control and what can I not control?" When you start engaging the rational part of your brain, the emotions are easy to handle. Experience them and work through them. Be your own dad talking to your 6 year old self.

"Who cares what I think?" - Jeb Bush

For all practical emotional purposes, and most other purposes as well, there is nothing out there. It's all inside.

Obviously in order to do scientific research, say, this must be ignored. In order to make any sense you must assume "all other things are equal". But in real life all other things are never equal. All causes and effects are linked to each other and to the way each of us perceives things. You've heard of the blindfolded group of people describing an Elephant, and each of them describing it differently. In the same way we each react, emotionally, to the same thing differently. If you don't like the way you react you just have to change it.

Not to say that there is any one "best" way to react. as far as I'm concerned "righteous anger" is sometimes better than just going with the flow, but it would have to be a pretty serious stressor. Otherwise I just see people getting bent out of shape by the most ridiculously trivial things.

Perspective.

I live in a country where things work 99.9% of the time, where most people are reasonably polite most of the time and so on.

If you've just left a war-torn country, been diagnosed with cancer, been fired, been evicted, have a family member die, the fact that the line at the post office is slow is so small in comparison that it's like a speck of dust on the sole of your shoe.

Focus on your glass being 99% full,not 1% empty.

Meditate

I normally don't mind waiting when I'm walking about. I think it's because I normally think of all that time as 'wasted' anyway and I like to just think about things in my head.

I hate it when I'm in traffic though, because there's no choice a lot of the time and it feels like your freedom has been taken away to leave and your trapped here... waiting because of some stupid idiot.

The trivial things that get me really angry and that I need to learn to control is:

Pointless arguments with family members. - it's not normally the trivial issue that winds me up but the being ignored or disrespected.

Losing things, getting stressed out trying to do something or work at home, and someone has hidden the thing I need. I get pissed off, sometimes I find what I need and I'm STILL pissed off! I'll be shouting things like, 'for fucks sake, you show up now, why the fuck were you over there!!?!'.

"Especially Roosh offers really good perspectives. But like MW said, at the end of the day, is he one of us?"

- Reciproke, posted on the Roosh V Forum.