rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Where to buy jewelry for the boutonnière?

I want to experiment with my suit game a little.

Suits' lapels have a buttonhole on the left (the buttonière) that used to be there to button your suit together when it becomes windy. Nobody does that anymore, but they're still there and sometimes used to put flowers through, mostly at weddings:

[Image: xgboef.jpg]

Ted Baker like to show their suits with some really nice gimmicks in the buttonière, ranging from a rather low-key metallic button...

[Image: mdnymfsp.jpg]

... to ornaments ...

[Image: 2pfa4tis.jpg]

... to really extravagant stuff:

[Image: 2xgiw4ta.jpg]

But they don't sell any of these on their website [Image: undecided.gif]

Any idea or recommendations where you can buy attire like this?
Or where else to look and just turn it into ornaments for the buttonière?

P.S. Obviously, you can get carried away and your style can become "over the top" very quickly. But I go to swing dancing festivals and many people are rocking extravagant styles there. So if I find out something is too much for day-to-day style, I will just restrict my usage of it to the social dances.

Quote: (08-26-2015 07:35 AM)Sgt Wrote:  

I want to experiment with my suit game a little.

Suits' lapels have a buttonhole on the left (the buttonière) that used to be there to button your suit together when it becomes windy. Nobody does that anymore, but they're still there and sometimes used to put flowers through, mostly at weddings:

[Image: xgboef.jpg]

Ted Baker like to show their suits with some really nice gimmicks in the buttonière, ranging from a rather low-key metallic button...

[Image: mdnymfsp.jpg]

... to ornaments ...

[Image: 2pfa4tis.jpg]

... to really extravagant stuff:

[Image: 2xgiw4ta.jpg]

But they don't sell any of these on their website [Image: undecided.gif]

Any idea or recommendations where you can buy attire like this?
Or where else to look and just turn it into ornaments for the buttonière?

P.S. Obviously, you can get carried away and your style can become "over the top" very quickly. But I go to swing dancing festivals and many people are rocking extravagant styles there. So if I find out something is too much for day-to-day style, I will just restrict my usage of it to the social dances.

If you're going to have an 'ornament' in your buttoniere, it should be personal and congruent. If you have a fly like is in the picture in your button hole, and have never been fly fishing, you'll obviously look pretty daft.

Personally I'd stay away from them unless they are for a specific cause that is close to your heart, or a particular activity that is specific to you. Anything else looks try hard, and you'll come unstuck when asked about it. Fresh flowers are the best way forward if you are going to do it, because then it is an act of spontaneity and appreciation for your surroundings.

If you're after ornamentation, I'd personally suggest wearing a tie pin with an appropriate, congruent ornament. I have a tie pin that has the insignia of the yacht club I am a member of, for example. It is clearly sailing related, and is a conversation piece even to those who don't recognise the specific club.

If you are one of these people who wears a suit without a tie, then no amount of ornamentation can save you, and you might as well take to wearing braces over the outside of your suit jacket.

thetiebar.com

Highly recommended.

Quote: (08-26-2015 10:12 AM)Biz Wrote:  

thetiebar.com

Highly recommended.

Thanks, they have some really stylish stuff, but for the buttonière / lapel they have only flowers made from fabric.

I think I will get some of these "Noosa Chunks" and have a goldsmith attach a needle or something to them so I can wear them on my blazers / suits.

PM if you want the name of a cool place in Vegas that carries stuff like this. I'm not familiar with stores in Germany.

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

Google lapel pin. That's the American term for what you're looking for.

WIA