rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

16 years old, need help deciding on career paths
6 years old, need help deciding on career paths
I’m entering junior year in high school in a little over a month. I have been putting a lot of thought into potential careers ever since i found Roosh’s works, this forum, the manosphere, etc, which was about a year ago. I’m extremely adventurous and I hate things being routine, so obviously I know I want a job where it involves traveling and going to new places. Here is the list of potential career paths i could take:

Plan #1: Get a TEFL certification immediately out of High school, teach english, save up and eventually invest in property

Personally, I believe this is the best career path for me. The countries that I mainly want to live in are Brazil, Colombia, China, Mexico, Spain, and Peru. Most of these countries have a decent to good demand for English teachers, and from my research you don’t need a degree to teach, and you are qualified with a TEFL cert. And yes, I do understand this job has more of a ‘break-even’ salary, however all I need to be happy is a decent apartment, a gym membership, hot girls, and a beach, not some fancy 4K TV, designer clothes and a video game addiction. However, I understand that as I get older i’ll need to be earning a little more money to retire and invest. My plan is to save small chunks of my salary for about 10ish years, and then when i’m in my thirties I will invest in real estate. Also, this path gives me the option to go backpacking/couchsurfing around Europe for years without fucking over the progress I made in my career.

Plan #2: Teach english for 4-5 years, go to flight school and become an airline pilot

The idea of becoming an airline pilot seems so badass. Once you get enough experience, you essentially go to new places for a living. My family seems to like this one, I think it’s because its a stable and successful career that they can brag to others about, but I’m not sure. The pay is good, but at first you’re given shitloads of hours, flying to places that other pilots don’t want to, and don’t get paid shit. But once you get past that, you’ve truly made it. You will get paid a good salary to fly to a new country every week and bang flight attendants. But there are more problems with this career. I would have to go to a flight school and go in debt, only to start out my career being treated like shit from management and earn 20k annually. Also, With the exception of China, I would need citizenship to live in a country that I want to live in (Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, etc). Most likely I’d work for a middle eastern airline because of the pay and lifestyle is apparently good. One solution around this is to teach english for a little while in south america and then go to flight school.

Plan #3: Go to college, study comp sci, work as an engineer

Honestly, this option sounds awful to me. But EVERYBODY is telling me to follow this route. Everybody. My parents, brothers, uncles, aunts, cousins, friends, guidance counselors, teachers, you name it. Why? Cause its stable and pays for the materialistic lifestyle that they all desire. Honestly, 40-60 hours a week in exchange for a salary that’s higher than what I need is not appealing to me. Also, I would be in debt from college. However, there are two good reasons that I can think of that might lead me down this path. I can telecommute from anywhere, essentially giving me the ability to pick up and move wherever the fuck I want to. Also, its not as important but I get 4 years to fuck college chicks who are in their prime and have fun. I do understand this is not a reason to go to college but its a perk. But another problem is my grades are inconsistent. Freshman year, I got near perfect grades as I believed it was my “destiny” to be the smartest kid in the grade or some cheesy shit like that. However, I got frustrated and quit giving a shit about school and my grades dropped quite a bit. Not enough where I struggle to get into ANY college, but to the point where I couldn’t get into a decent school without scholarship money like my brother, who I know I will inevitably be compared to for as long as I live (almost a full ride to a liberal arts school. Major: undecided xD). Sorry for digressing, but I figure it's important for assessing my personality.

Plan #4: Out of high school get certified and become a personal trainer

I actually like this path because it pays decently and it provides a flexible career path that allows me to work in many cities in the US and Europe. I’m already decently big as i’m 155 and 5’8” (At least for my age). If I did this path I would probably work as a trainer for a few years in either Miami or Montreal, as they are my two favorite cities in North America (And yes I’m aware of the chaos in Montreal over the weekend), and then move abroad to teach english.

So those are the 4 main choices I am considering. Are any of these realistic? If you were in my position what would you do? Any advice is appreciated. Also, If it is of any importance to anything, I can get EU citizenship through spain because of ancestry, so no worrying about getting visas or anything like that in europe.

Ps. Please don’t interpret this as “choose my path for me”. I just need to start thinking about my future and would rather get advice from you guys than my parents. And also I'm new to posting so if theres anything wrong let me know

Thanks guys!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson

2019 COLOMBIA MOTORCYCLE TRIP DATASHEET
I did grad school in C.S. and code for a living currently.

When I get into the work an 8 hour day flies by. You need to enjoy coding though and getting into a mental labyrinth for it to work.

I'd say teach English for one year, come back do the fitness instructor thing for a year or two then decide on flight school or not. That sounds like what you'd want.

It sounds like you already made up your mind a 9-5 type job isn't for you.

I dream about changing career now and then, but my list to change to would be very small:

Firefighter/Paramedic (can't mobile commute - moving cities is hard)
Bartender
Yoga Instructor

If I get tired of coding I have the same idea as you... except be a bartender some nights, yoga instructor during the days.

If you want a family though you need some $ so be sure to save and invest carefully if you don't make much.

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems
Quote: (08-10-2015 09:40 PM)Travesty Wrote:  

I did grad school in C.S. and code for a living currently.

When I get into the work an 8 hour day flies by. You need to enjoy coding though and getting into a mental labyrinth for it to work.

I'd say teach English for one year, come back do the fitness instructor thing for a year or two then decide on flight school or not. That sounds like what you'd want.

It sounds like you already made up your mind a 9-5 type job isn't for you.

I dream about changing career now and then, but my list to change to would be very small:

Firefighter/Paramedic (can't mobile commute - moving cities is hard)
Bartender
Yoga Instructor

If I get tired of coding I have the same idea as you... except be a bartender some nights, yoga instructor during the days.

If you want a family though you need some $ so be sure to save and invest carefully if you don't make much.

Last year I bought a couple of books on C and learned it. I was cool building small apps but I easily got bored by it, but that might just be because I was stuck building smaller apps. I may take the Java class they offer at my school and see if I enjoy it when I have a thorough understanding of everything. But regarding English teaching, do you (or anyone reading this thread) know if its hard finding an English teaching job directly out of high school at 18 years old?

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson

I taught English abroad after getting a TEFL certificate, the CELTA.

You have to be very careful about where you work and the deal. Basically the only place to work with no experience and make decent money seems to be Korea or Japan, for which you have to apply well in advance. I don't know if they accept 18 year olds, look into it. Saudi Arabia or the other gulf states may be another option for you if you really want to save up money.

Look at http://www.eslcafe.com for their forums.
"Advice is more for the person giving it because the person receiving will do whatever the fuck they want anyway"

Bearing that in mind, I would recommend a compromise between career paths and go to a community college, take AP, Clep exams to bang out your GE credits quick and cheap (in one year, faster if you're motivated enough) then transfer to a better brand name 4 year school. This has 2 benefits; 1) it gets everyone off your back since you got the little piece of paper everyone's so hung up on. 2) a degree is nice insurance to have if you ever want to teach in Asia and the Middle East. Also you can translate it to a different career path if you feel the need to.

If you're dead set against school, I would pick up a trade that will have you working hard for 6 months, pay you well, and give you half the year to go travel. I think Scotian is the lead authority on this option, he works in the oil fields in Canada and does well for himself. You should search his 'Canadian Oil Fields' thread, it has tons of great information.

Other than that I want to say good job and congratulations. You've found a great forum where there are a lot of members you could look towards as role models here. I wish I had access to this kind of community/information when I was in high school. You're definitely ahead of the curve young player.
Oh and regards to teaching English in Korea and Japan you need a bachelors degree to qualify for a teaching visa. I don't know about Thailand or some of the other countries but Korea and Japan I know for a fact that a degree is a must.
Quote: (08-10-2015 09:56 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

You have to be very careful about where you work and the deal. Basically the only place to work with no experience and make decent money seems to be Korea or Japan, for which you have to apply well in advance. I don't know if they accept 18 year olds, look into it. Saudi Arabia or the other gulf states may be another option for you if you really want to save up money.

From what I understand, You need at the very least a bachelors degree to teach in those countries. I've read that In china you don't need a degree and you earn at most 20,000 usd. However compared to the cost of living thats a decent salary. And thanks for the link, I'll do my research there!

― Hunter S. Thompson

Quote: (08-10-2015 10:07 PM)Cortés Wrote:  

From what I understand, You need at the very least a bachelors degree to teach in those countries. I've read that In china you don't need a degree and you earn at most 20,000 usd. However compared to the cost of living thats a decent salary. And thanks for the link, I'll do my research there!

Makes sense, Korea yea that is true.

Had you thought of any particular country or region that would allow you to save money?

Teaching English abroad can be a great way to just see the world and kinda slum it if you're young, and if you want to do that - cool.

But as an 18 year old with no experience, think about it, who would really hire you and pay you good money? What reason would they have to pay you a good salary when there are at least people with experience floating around the world as well? If you want actual money and not just barely-scrape-by money, you need to provide actual value.
Good move on thinking ahead, Cortes. I would say the ESL route can be good, but make sure you at least enjoy teaching. I taught domestically for 3 years, but I am over 10 years older than you.

The visa requirements are changing quickly in china. It used to be that you could easily get into TEFL without a degree but my city now requires a college degree, native english and 2 years of teaching experience! If you have questions about TEFL you should talk to Suits. He is doing quite well with it in china.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.
Quote: (08-10-2015 10:00 PM)Sigma Wrote:  

Oh and regards to teaching English in Korea and Japan you need a bachelors degree to qualify for a teaching visa. I don't know about Thailand or some of the other countries but Korea and Japan I know for a fact that a degree is a must.

Yeah that's what I though. China's requirements seem less strict in the sense you don't need a degree nor a certificate.And in regards to the oil fields, once school starts up in September, I'm going to talk to my guidance counselor about the possibility of transferring to the vocational school and if I can get out being certified within a few years, then I would go to the oil fields and save up some money. But The problem is I'd be two years behind the other welding/plumbing/whatever students. But I've definitely considered the trades

― Hunter S. Thompson

1) In general, I agree getting a degree is very helpful unless you're sure you can save up a lot without it. (more below)

2) Are you SURE you want to live in those places? Have you been there? Don't get caught up in jejune anglosphere bashing, every culture has its good and bad points and when it comes to avoiding violence, inefficiency, illness, corruption, the First World is AFAIK in First place. I consider myself "post red pill" in that I see the reason the women in the First World are bitchy is just that the economies work so well for the skilled that there are a ton of good men to pick from. Simple market forces driving the price of good women up, and perversely fattening the rest up lol.

3) About 80% of people don't like their jobs. Unless you are going to get one you love ( Airline pilot with experience to get good gigs. ) think also about how you will get OUT of your job, both in the vacation sense and the forever sense. Teachers in most cultures get summers off, which is HUGE. It means you are never far away from a TWO MONTH vacation, for many people that is a hopeless fantasy, although many of them are humble bragging. I picked my career because many people work it part time, and stumbled into a State pension so now I have a lot of free time.

4) Free time is MUCH more valuable when you're young or middle aged. I'm moving from middle age to old age ( almost 60) so I know and am not speculating. This is the REVERSE of what the machine has planned for you. You can have more sex, adjust to time zone changes easier, learn languages easier, meet people near your age more easily, get travel discounts til 27....

The MACHINE wants you to bust ass working your most vital years, THEN relax when you can't enjoy life as much (60+) .

5) Due to # 4 , figure out how you will get FREE TIME BEFORE 50. I did it with being a professional student until early 30s which worked pretty well but student loans prevented me from ever getting wealthy. It was a trade off, not too bad because I hardly worked full time for ANY of my twenties. LOTS of playing guitar and bicycle riding.
You can do it at the other end too, save up until you can buy income property when you're 30s, then you're still in good shape.

6) There is some anti-education bias here, I am of the opposite opinion. I think it gives you a much deeper, broader understanding of life so it can be much richer, and it gives you an idea of THE SIZE OF YOUR MIND. Many fools think they are very bright, bright people think they are geniuses, etc. College will help you see where you really are in the hierarchy of mind. Statistically, college graduates make much more money, this could be confounded by how wealthy their parents are, but it is still the reality.
Quote: (08-10-2015 10:10 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Quote: (08-10-2015 10:07 PM)Cortés Wrote:  

Makes sense, Korea yea that is true.

Had you thought of any particular country or region that would allow you to save money?

Teaching English abroad can be a great way to just see the world and kinda slum it if you're young, and if you want to do that - cool.

But as an 18 year old with no experience, think about it, who would really hire you and pay you good money? What reason would they have to pay you a good salary when there are at least people with experience floating around the world as well? If you want actual money and not just barely-scrape-by money, you need to provide actual value.

I figured schools abroad in certain regions would be desperate enough to hire based on the fact that I'm a native speaker, but I'd also rely on getting a tefl certification. If I taught english I'd probably take a gig anywhere in South America, even if it meant breaking even or saving tiny amounts to invest in.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Quote: (08-10-2015 10:11 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

Good move on thinking ahead, Cortes. I would say the ESL route can be good, but make sure you at least enjoy teaching. I taught domestically for 3 years, but I am over 10 years older than you.

The visa requirements are changing quickly in china. It used to be that you could easily get into TEFL without a degree but my city now requires a college degree, native english and 2 years of teaching experience! If you have questions about TEFL you should talk to Suits. He is doing quite well with it in china.

As of right now I'm researching TEFL and TESOL programs, seeing if I can get certified without a college degree. Your signature says you're in China, are you teaching there?

Edit: Sorry that I'm creating separate replies for each comment, I'm trying to figure this out

― Hunter S. Thompson

I've been teaching in china for a few months now. I'm not sure if you can get a certificate without a college degree, but you're certainly welcome to try. I know a few people who actually purchased a degree, ha.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.
Quote: (08-10-2015 10:16 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

1) In general, I agree getting a degree is very helpful unless you're sure you can save up a lot without it. (more below)

2) Are you SURE you want to live in those places? Have you been there? Don't get caught up in jejune anglosphere bashing, every culture has its good and bad points and when it comes to avoiding violence, inefficiency, illness, corruption, the First World is AFAIK in First place. I consider myself "post red pill" in that I see the reason the women in the First World are bitchy is just that the economies work so well for the skilled that there are a ton of good men to pick from. Simple market forces driving the price of good women up, and perversely fattening the rest up lol.

3) About 80% of people don't like their jobs. Unless you are going to get one you love ( Airline pilot with experience to get good gigs. ) think also about how you will get OUT of your job, both in the vacation sense and the forever sense. Teachers in most cultures get summers off, which is HUGE. It means you are never far away from a TWO MONTH vacation, for many people that is a hopeless fantasy, although many of them are humble bragging. I picked my career because many people work it part time, and stumbled into a State pension so now I have a lot of free time.

4) Free time is MUCH more valuable when you're young or middle aged. I'm moving from middle age to old age ( almost 60) so I know and am not speculating. This is the REVERSE of what the machine has planned for you. You can have more sex, adjust to time zone changes easier, learn languages easier, meet people near your age more easily, get travel discounts til 27....

The MACHINE wants you to bust ass working your most vital years, THEN relax when you can't enjoy life as much (60+) .

5) Due to # 4 , figure out how you will get FREE TIME BEFORE 50. I did it with being a professional student until early 30s which worked pretty well but student loans prevented me from ever getting wealthy. It was a trade off, not too bad because I hardly worked full time for ANY of my twenties. LOTS of playing guitar and bicycle riding.
You can do it at the other end too, save up until you can buy income property when you're 30s, then you're still in good shape.

6) There is some anti-education bias here, I am of the opposite opinion. I think it gives you a much deeper, broader understanding of life so it can be much richer, and it gives you an idea of THE SIZE OF YOUR MIND. Many fools think they are very bright, bright people think they are geniuses, etc. College will help you see where you really are in the hierarchy of mind. Statistically, college graduates make much more money, this could be confounded by how wealthy their parents are, but it is still the reality.

Regarding first world vs third world, no I haven't been to these countries. However I grew up in a half white half hispanic household with a stonger Spanish influence. I've always loved spanish culture and can speak Spanish conversationally. I've always been adventurous and love exploring the "unknown" in the large forest behind my house. I probably will at least go backpacking through Latin America before I make the leap to live there.

From my observations, there's is a correlation between a college degree and the amount of working hours. I have a cousin who's going to med school and it's pretty much a full time thing. IMO, she's wasting her 20's getting educated just so she will earn 200k a year. This is what I'm trying to avoid. Also, nowadays tuition and overall college expenditures have greatly increased, and when coupled with unemployment, sounds like a possibly youth-ruining situation.

Thanks for your response, yours especially raises some great thinking points and questions!

― Hunter S. Thompson

Just throwing this out there but have you thought about the military? Before you say anything let me give you a possible military scenario.

Join the U.S. navy as a cryptologist. Which is supposed to be spy shit but basically it means you sign a six year contract, 2 of which you are in school learning a foreign language. Not sure which are available but I know for a fact Chinese and Farsi are options.

Pros
1.You get paid to learn a foreign language.
2.Your job is to sit in an air conditioned room and listen to audio files that the Intelligence community has collected and translate.
3. You have more than enough time to get a 4 year degree, on the Navy's dime.
4. You can save a decent amount of money.
5. You will get stationed overseas.
6. You may finagle a signing bonus because it's not a job anyone can get into.
7. You pick up a new language.
8. You get Top Secret clearance which costs around $50,000 (don't quote me on this figure) to get in the private sector (makes you an attractive prospect to future employers once you get out)
9. Health benefits
10. VA loan you can get for a house in the future with 0% interest, since you're interested in investing.

So basically when you're done with your contract you will be a 24 year old that's bilingual, has a bachelors (hopefully), has money (5 figures) saved in the bank, top secret clearance, 4 years work experience, and have the status of veteran.

Now the Con(s)
1. You have to join the U.S. navy.
2. You have to stay in the U.S. navy.
: /

Just giving you another option to think about.
Quote: (08-10-2015 10:34 PM)Fortis Wrote:  

I've been teaching in china for a few months now. I'm not sure if you can get a certificate without a college degree, but you're certainly welcome to try. I know a few people who actually purchased a degree, ha.

I've been researching TEFL/TESOL, and from the looks of it I have to be at least 20 to enter. So I'll need to find something for the years between High school and that.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Quote: (08-10-2015 10:41 PM)Sigma Wrote:  

Just throwing this out there but have you thought about the military? Before you say anything let me give you a possible military scenario.

Join the U.S. navy as a cryptologist. Which is supposed to be spy shit but basically it means you sign a six year contract, 2 of which you are in school learning a foreign language. Not sure which are available but I know for a fact Chinese and Farsi are options.

Pros
1.You get paid to learn a foreign language.
2.Your job is to sit in an air conditioned room and listen to audio files that the Intelligence community has collected and translate.
3. You have more than enough time to get a 4 year degree, on the Navy's dime.
4. You can save a decent amount of money.
5. You will get stationed overseas.
6. You may finagle a signing bonus because it's not a job anyone can get into.
7. You pick up a new language.
8. You get Top Secret clearance which costs around $50,000 (don't quote me on this figure) to get in the private sector (makes you an attractive prospect to future employers once you get out)
9. Health benefits
10. VA loan you can get for a house in the future with 0% interest, since you're interested in investing.

So basically when you're done with your contract you will be a 24 year old that's bilingual, has a bachelors (hopefully), has money (5 figures) saved in the bank, top secret clearance, 4 years work experience, and have the status of veteran.

Now the Con(s)
1. You have to join the U.S. navy.
2. You have to stay in the U.S. navy.
: /

Just giving you another option to think about.

That's definitely an interesting prospect that I will research. The main problem is that its a HUGE commitment that I cannot back out of if I don't like the environment. But during this program I could do my degree while working for the Navy? Although the prospect of learning languages for a living seems like a cool and efficient way to learn, I'm not exactly sure if I'd care to learn Arabic, Farsi, or Russian, which are probably the 3 languages to learn in the military (just guessing). But that actually could be pretty cool.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Cortes,

If you're teaching in Latin America without a degree you will be broke 9 times out of 10. I was in Colombia, and almost everyone there was broke, left after a short time. The few who stayed long term ended up working in ritzy high schools that were bi-lingual, which likely would not hire an 18 year old with no experience, they got these jobs after a few years' worth of experience.

Teaching ESL in Latin America could be cool but if anything you will end up in debt doing it, not saving any money.

Looking at it another way though, you'll probably get less debt doing that then attending a private college for a year. And you'll learn Spanish and get real world work experience, as well as travel and all the fun that goes with it. So it can be a valuable experience, just not a money-making experience.
It is a huge commitment but I will tell you something a recruiter will never tell you. The first six months of being in, you are allowed to get out due to "not being able to adjust". This isn't what you want to go in thinking but it's better than doing something silly like running away or hurting yourself.

And Korean is an option because of those silly fucks living upstairs of Seoul.

And yes you can totally get your degree while in the Navy. They will have classes on base or you can do online courses and the Navy will pay for it through Tuition Assistance or the GI Bill. Also you could probably get into a better school through the military than you could on your own due to schools giving special consideration to active duty military.

Also I know there are other languages available than those that have been mentioned.
Quote: (08-10-2015 10:52 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Cortes,

If you're teaching in Latin America without a degree you will be broke 9 times out of 10. I was in Colombia, and almost everyone there was broke, left after a short time. The few who stayed long term ended up working in ritzy high schools that were bi-lingual, which likely would not hire an 18 year old with no experience, they got these jobs after a few years' worth of experience.

Teaching ESL in Latin America could be cool but if anything you will end up in debt doing it, not saving any money.

Looking at it another way though, you'll probably get less debt doing that then attending a private college for a year. And you'll learn Spanish and get real world work experience, as well as travel and all the fun that goes with it. So it can be a valuable experience, just not a money-making experience.

Maybe I should do the personal trainer job in USA for a few years and save up while living frugally and maybe invest it and try to get passive income and then go abroad? Sounds to me like teaching English in South America isn't a sustainable lifestyle.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Quote: (08-10-2015 10:38 PM)Cortés Wrote:  

Quote: (08-10-2015 10:16 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

I probably will at least go backpacking through Latin America before I make the leap to live there.

From my observations, there's is a correlation between a college degree and the amount of working hours....

Thanks for your response, yours especially raises some great thinking points and questions!
The number of working hours has always been a concern of mine as well. That's why I talked about having a plan for NOT working. If you don't set up that time for yourself, NO ONE will do it for you. They all want you working on something, either WITH them or FOR them. Hardly ANYONE figures how how to get free time as early as possible in life. Good idea.

Also, the military idea is decent as well, maybe not cryptograhy, network security or the like if they have it might be good and transferable.

Six years sounds like a lot, but as I thought when I went to grad school, what ELSE will you be doing in that time? If it's scrambling around with shitty full time jobs and you have nothing at 24 -- which is a pretty strong possibility-- the military idea is good--24 is still very young, and I didn't feel a LOT of physical decline until late 30s.

You might even get a station that's enjoyable, and then I think it's half pay after 20 years, which is only 38-- total retirement at 38. Almost unheard of.
Quote: (08-10-2015 09:34 PM)Cortés Wrote:  

Also, its not as important but I get 4 years to fuck college chicks who are in their prime and have fun.

Kid you've got this backwards, it's the MOST important thing! You're already here at 16 -- spend the next two years getting in top shape and learn game and you'll clean up with the hottest girls you'll ever see for the next four years straight. Now maybe you're killing it in high school to an unreal degree and this isn't as important to you -- but probably you will do much better in college than you are now!

Plus Comp. Sci is generally a good degree and if you're strong academically with a good HS record you can probably minimize your debt substantially through scholarships.

Teaching English without a degree is a very, very dodgy prospect. Trades are good and better than a worthless degree, but a strong degree like Comp. Sci, especially if you're going to a school with a good program where top tech companies actively recruit from is better.

I think if you learn game, go to a good college, spend four years having fun with your boys and banging hot girls and come out of it with a legit degree that will give you relatively easy access to well-paying jobs, you will be very, very, very unlikely to regret having done so.

The idea of debt can tend to scare people more than it should. It's worth being worried about if you're staddled with a debt from a worthless degree. But if you rank up a 20-40 thousand getting a strong degree, be real, that's not going to kill you and you can pay it off over time without any pain. You'll have enough wiggle room to teach English for a year or two if you want, or to do whatever else.
I'd choose college with comp sci. It's the one place in life you can do almost anything (short of killing someone) and have no serious consequences, have tons of fun, and get away with almost anything.
Quote: (08-10-2015 11:20 PM)chagataev Wrote:  

Quote: (08-10-2015 09:34 PM)Cortés Wrote:  

Also, its not as important but I get 4 years to fuck college chicks who are in their prime and have fun.

Kid you've got this backwards, it's the MOST important thing! You're already here at 16 -- spend the next two years getting in top shape and learn game and you'll clean up with the hottest girls you'll ever see for the next four years straight. Now maybe you're killing it in high school to an unreal degree and this isn't as important to you -- but probably you will do much better in college than you are now!

Plus Comp. Sci is generally a good degree and if you're strong academically with a good HS record you can probably minimize your debt substantially through scholarships.

Teaching English without a degree is a very, very dodgy prospect. Trades are good and better than a worthless degree, but a strong degree like Comp. Sci, especially if you're going to a school with a good program where top tech companies actively recruit from is better.

I think if you learn game, go to a good college, spend four years having fun with your boys and banging hot girls and come out of it with a legit degree that will give you relatively easy access to well-paying jobs, you will be very, very, very unlikely to regret having done so.

The idea of debt can tend to scare people more than it should. It's worth being worried about if you're staddled with a debt from a worthless degree. But if you rank up a 20-40 thousand getting a strong degree, be real, that's not going to kill you and you can pay it off over time without any pain. You'll have enough wiggle room to teach English for a year or two if you want, or to do whatever else.

Haha when I said that its not the most important thing I meant that I'm not gonna go to college solely for the poon. But you make a good case. I have something like a 3.1-3.7 so my grades aren't bad but organizations won't be approaching to give me scholarships. I want to get as far away as possible from my shithole state so idk about state colleges, although they're my only option for an affordable education. That is unless I go to Europe for college but, I've heard there isn't as much campus life as here in the states. And just for the record my game is weak except for night game, where i gamed a group of girls the night before the running of the Bulls in Pamplona, and if the logistics were better I may have pulled (datasheet anyone?). But yeah I'm also decent with social circle game so I think with some practice I could do well in college. But yeah I dont want to make important life decisions based on getting women.

― Hunter S. Thompson