rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Moving to Downtown Toronto

Hey guys, decided that now is as good time as ever to move out of the family house.

I've heard that spending a 1/3 of income on rent makes sense. Though I'm definetly going to end up spending closer to half. Trying to avoid this as much as possible by getting a roommate.

Any suggestions on how to find a good place here?

What's your monthly income? Based off of that it will be easier to see what you can afford- with or without a roommate.

Quote: (07-30-2015 12:57 PM)CH-Toronto Wrote:  

What's your monthly income? Based off of that it will be easier to see what you can afford- with or without a roommate.

Have you read the Toronto nightlife thread?

I'd strongly reconsider and move to Montreal [Image: lol.gif]

2015 RVF fantasy football champion

With that income you're going to be living hand to mouth if you try and get your own pad.

Get a room mate. As for location, have you scoped Craigslist?

Quote: (07-30-2015 01:16 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

With that income you're going to be living hand to mouth if you try and get your own pad.

Pretty much this. You MIGHT be able to find a bachelor close to $1000.00 - granted there are some 'finds' out there if you get lucky. Otherwise, a roommate is recommended- and even then you might find yourself closer to mid/up town than downtown.

Roommate for sure.

Also, I've got to work with what I have. Not moving cities until I graduate

Quote: (07-30-2015 01:16 PM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Yeah. There's a few spots for $1200 . split that between 2 and its decent. However, they get taken really fast.

Snowhugger, is getting a studio apartment an option for you?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Quote: (07-30-2015 01:14 PM)SnowHugger Wrote:  

Are you really committed to downtown or would scoping out transit/subway/go train lines work and then picking a neighbourhood to rent in that is close to a convenient line with a good schedule?

I mean taking the train from York Mills is like 10 min to Union station.

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

Quote: (07-30-2015 02:33 PM)Dr. Howard Wrote:  

Are you really committed to downtown or would scoping out transit/subway/go train lines work and then picking a neighbourhood to rent in that is close to a convenient line with a good schedule?

I'm pretty committed. It's either downtown or I keep living in Halton. Which blows.

Quote: (07-30-2015 06:11 PM)SnowHugger Wrote:  

Quote: (07-30-2015 02:33 PM)Dr. Howard Wrote:  

I'm pretty committed. It's either downtown or I keep living in Halton. Which blows.

Completely understand. Either go with a roommate (find someone cool) or find a really small place and then jazz it up with some clever interior decorating.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Check Viewit.ca for places

Dude,,, you don't have to live downtown.... You could get a spot close to a subway line spot for $800 per month etc. after 2 am, a short cab ride if you have a one night stand ready.

$2,300 living downtown is not going to be easy. Snowhugger from skimming your past posts it seems you are an engineer but are intending work an for an airline. I can't imagine as an Engineer you can't make more scratch elsewhere.

It's a livable amount, but no savings and limited extracurricular fun. I mean just going to a jays game you'll spend a whole day's net pay cheque or more.

You can't have really have a decent lifestyle making $2300/month.

I live in a 1 bedroom condo in the clubbing district and my rent is $1650 and that's considered a STEAL.

You could probably find a place with a roommate for $1000-$1200/month but IMO for that kinda of money it isn't worth it if you don't even get your own place.

My advice: live outside of downtown but on the subway line. Commutes/convienance will be a breeze but your rent won't be as steep.

Or what my friend does is he shares a house at Duffering and St. Clair with 2 other roomates and pays $600/month. Personally if I was only making $2300, I would choose the $600/month option.

Quote: (07-31-2015 11:57 AM)lavidaloca Wrote:  

$2,300 living downtown is not going to be easy. Snowhugger from skimming your past posts it seems you are an engineer but are intending work an for an airline. I can't imagine as an Engineer you can't make more scratch elsewhere.

It's a livable amount, but no savings and limited extracurricular fun. I mean just going to a jays game you'll spend a whole day's net pay cheque or more.

It's an internship hah.

Definetly a livable amount. I may consider living on the subway line. Wouldn't be too bad.

If I can't find anything decent 600-800, I'll end up saving it for something. Don't know what yet

Is 2300 before or after tax?

Quote: (07-31-2015 09:53 PM)Peregrine Wrote:  

Is 2300 before or after tax?

I'd probably assume before tax. I've never heard anyone in Canada speak about their income after tax unless they are business owners or in a cash business.

Why would you say your monthly earnings pre-tax? I tend to say my earnings post-tax, post-pension, post-save as you earn share scheme - that is the money i actually see deposited in my account and available to spend

That's after tax. If my roommate bails, I'll end up saving the cash. Don't know what to do with it though.

Halton isnt that bad. Tons of hot white girls in the summer.

You can find something decent for 600-800 close to downtown for sure, if you're willing to live with roommates.

If you can find some cool roommates, its well worth it to have downtown logistics.

Quote: (08-02-2015 04:46 PM)SnowHugger Wrote:  

That's after tax. If my roommate bails, I'll end up saving the cash. Don't know what to do with it though.

You don't have to do anything with it. Trick question: how often does the average police officer use his gun? Answer: every time he responds to a call.

Savings are the same. If we define power as extent of control you have over your own circumstances, savings grant you power. If you have no savings, your answer to a shitty boss' order to jump is to ask how high. On the other hand, enough savings to cover your living expenses for a natural lifetime is what we call fuck you money.

Stack that cash, brother.

I hate to say this but the last few times I've been downtown for court, I've seen lots of highly attractive girls...way better than the suburbs where I work.

Fuck you money is a lot and regardless of career takes a long time to save. At minimum barring exceptional returns 10+ years and that's pretty optimistic for most. Minimum amount of savings guys should be saving is $1,000 a month in my opinion if you ever want to reach fuck you money. More realistically though $3,000+ / month will be required to reach that point by a young age. (35-40)

Saving $600 / month by living with roommates is huge in the long run when you are so young as long as you don't spend those savings on other stuff.