rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Key Insight: 80s and 90s Pop Songs by Female Artists

Just listen to the lyrics. You can learn a lot about what occupies their minds.

I just spent an entire day hungover and basking in the glory of a (pat-myself-the-back-quality) notch, and I went to a local Korean coffee shop. They were playing some catchy Janet Jackson song that sounded familiar.

Nostalgia hit me unexpectedly, and I suddenly wanted to hear some R&B and pop songs from my formative years.

I listened to a bunch of songs by various female artists, and as dumb as it sounds, I feel like it was an edifying afternoon.

Some common themes: (1) they want to feel like they're not the ones in control, (2) they want to feel like guy has other shit to do but can somehow still find time to be around, (3) the guy can fuck the shit out of them, (4) girls are vicious towards any other girl who's getting close to "her man".

I think there are tons of other insights to be gleamed from these songs when you consider that the lyrics have resonated with so many girls.

It was bad by the 80s and 90s already.
Watch Eddie Murphy's old stand up movie Raw.
80s pop songs already reflected a new fucked up dynamic between the sexes. Songs like "Material girl", "what have you done for me lately?"

If you want to hear pop music from before american women went crazy go back to 50s and 60s motown. Female artists back then made songs that reflected the culture. Women praised men and were elated when they found one that wanted a relationship with them. They sought after strong men with Christian values and competed to be the one they would marry.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Material Girl by Madonna has to be one of the most infuriating and ridiculous songs I've ever heard regarding feminism and societal collapse etc.

Here we have this world music icon basically preaching about how she Is a gold digging whore and proud of It. The way the lyrics are written... its delivered in such a nonchalant, matter-of-fact way. In todays music world, with hiphop and Niki Minaj it hardly seems worth notice, but it really was the first song of its kind. And little girls back then actually believed and emulated this behavior. Fuck madonna.

Quote: (07-26-2015 05:46 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

If you want to hear pop music from before american women went crazy go back to 50s and 60s motown. Female artists back then made songs that reflected the culture. Women praised men and were elated when they found one that wanted a relationship with them. They sought after strong men with Christian values and competed to be the one they would marry.

Aretha Franklin made the greatest "alpha widow" song ever.

Dude, I have recently stumbled into a Carley Simon phase. She is the one who sings 'You're so vain'. Great music. Also can not forget about Gladys knight and the pips!