rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Michael Douglas: American Male Actors are Too 'Asexual' to Get Film Roles

Michael Douglas isn't too impressed with the current crop of American actors - do you guys agree?

Michael Douglas: American male actors are too 'asexual' to get film roles

Quote:Quote:

Days after Dustin Hoffman said that films had never been worse than they are today, fellow actor Michael Douglas has spoken out about what he believes to be “a crisis in young American actors right now”. The actor said they are overly concerned about their image and lack machismo.

“Everyone’s much more image conscious than they are about actually playing the part,” Douglas said in an interview with the Independent. According to the two-time Oscar winner, an American obsession with image and social media has enabled international actors to take many of the top American roles away from US male actors.

“Clearly, it breaks down on two fronts,” he said. “In Britain they take their training seriously while in the States, we’re going through a sort of social media image-conscious thing rather than formal training. Many actors are getting caught up in this image thing which is going on to affect their range.”

Douglas added that Australian male actors are favoured over US talent for their masculinity. “In the US we have this relatively asexual or unisex area with sensitive young men and we don’t have many Channing Tatums or Chris Pratts, while the Aussies do,” he said. “It’s a phenomena.”

This doesn’t mark the first time that Douglas has spoken about his concern for the current generation of young American male actors. In a February interview with Entertainment Weekly, the actor addressed the “crisis”.

“The issue I hear from casting agents is that young American actors now are very self-conscious of their image,” he said. “So rather than playing truthful and themselves – it might be because of so much cable, so much stuff on the internet – they’re almost kind of capturing an image of what they think they should be, rather than playing it.”

I think there's definitely a lack of alpha men in US movies right now. There's hardly any main American actors as masculine as guys like Lee Marvin, Yul Brynner or Charles Bronson.

Time to get a self portrait and make a portfolio!

Name: Snowplow
type of character: bad guy

[Image: banana.gif]

Chicago Tribe.

My podcast with H3ltrsk3ltr and Cobra.

Snowplow is uber deep cover as an alpha dark triad player red pill awoken gorilla minded narc cop. -Kaotic

I've noticed that a lot of new American actors today don't have unique looks anymore. There are a lot who have the shaved chest, shaved face thing going on where even though they might be jacked they're not all that interesting. I guess this is to pander to young girls and gays? I don't know.

You mentioned Lee Marvin, Yul Brynner, and Bronson. I'd like to add Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Lance Henriksen. All of these men have unique looks about them and are undoubtedly masculine but very different.

[Image: tumblr_n4j7xtvq5l1s2wio8o1_500.gif]

[Image: 5s4Z22R.jpg]

There's also, of course, Charlton Heston:

[Image: laugh4.gif]

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

This is actually pretty evident. Haven't thought about it until now. All the manliest actors on the big screen these days are English/Australian.

Quote: (07-08-2015 02:39 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

All the manliest actors on the big screen these days are English/Australian.

Let's not forget Irish.

Come to think of it, I'd have to agree with Douglas.

American actors have this metrosexual, feminine look to them in most movies.

Ever notice regular commercials nowadays ? Look at the guys closely

-They dress hipster, not usually sharp
-Dad bods
-Prescription glasses
-You'll see neckbeard/beards
-They act feminine, almost weak like

This shit bugs me so much about the adverts I see.

Rx glasses are now effeminate?

Quote: (07-08-2015 02:38 PM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

I've noticed that a lot of new American actors today don't have unique looks anymore. There are a lot who have the shaved chest, shaved face thing going on where even though they might be jacked they're not all that interesting. I guess this is to pander to young girls and gays? I don't know.

You mentioned Lee Marvin, Yul Brynner, and Bronson. I'd like to add Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Lance Henriksen. All of these men have unique looks about them and are undoubtedly masculine but very different.

[Image: tumblr_n4j7xtvq5l1s2wio8o1_500.gif]

[Image: 5s4Z22R.jpg]

There's also, of course, Charlton Heston:

[Image: laugh4.gif]

What you dont like Tatum, Efron, Franco, Gosling, LeBeauof, Pattison, Lautner, Lutz? hmmm.... didnt think the list was going to be that long. Hollywood CA's cast foreign, english speaking actors because they are ususally clasically trained and can actually act, they not just culled for their looks like their American counterparts in Follywood.

"Time will tell who are the real revolutionaries"-Robert Nesta Marley

Quote: (07-08-2015 03:40 PM)Natural Born Gyalist Wrote:  

What you dont like Tatum, Efron, Franco, Gosling, LeBeauof, Pattison, Lautner, Lutz? hmmm.... didnt think the list was going to be that long. Hollywood CA's cast foreign, english speaking actors because they are ususally clasically trained and can actually act, they not just culled for their looks like their American counterparts in Follywood.

This article explains that English actors are frequently cast because they are trained in acting. Many young American actors today got their start as children, and don't get the proper training to get meaty roles.

The actors of the current generation mostly started going before the camera as kids, and got their training on the job: in commercials, then on TV shows, and then, for the lucky and/or unusually talented, in movies. Leonardo DiCaprio (who turned 40 last November) came up that way. So did Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jennifer Lawrence, Reese Witherspoon, Keri Russell, Michelle Williams, Emma Stone, Michael B. Jordan—practically every young American actor you want to see has the same story.

The British send their actors to school for the sound reason that playing Shakespeare well takes a ton of technique, and Shakespearean actors are what English theatrical culture is designed to produce. American culture is in the business of making stars, which is more a matter of finding people who are able to be themselves—or some likable, reasonably plausible version of themselves—onscreen.

I've noticed this with American actors. A guy like Mark Wahlberg is basically the same dude in every movie. DiCaprio is the only one I can think of that has range and can act with the best of them.

There aren't exactly many masculine roles for them to play.

I don't know. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Pine, Tatum, Pratt, Chris Evans, Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel, even possibly gay dudes Tom Cruise and Jeremy Renner. Wouldn't exactly label them 'asexual'

The only non-US actors I could think of are Colin Farrell, Tom Hardy, Daniel Craig, the aforementioned Liam Neeson and Henry Cavill (the new Superman). For the longest time I thought Jude Law was gay.

What I've noticed is the invasion of Canadian actors...

Every 'American' movie and TV show is stacked with Canadians. Of course, it's hard to tell by the accent.

But what's up with that?

There should be enough homegrown talent here without having to import Canucks.

I think the last true masculine flick played by an American was "Faster" with The Rock. Law Abiding Citizen was kick ass also but Gerard Butler is Scottish.

So, I guess Michael Douglas has a point.

Quote: (07-08-2015 02:19 PM)WalterBlack Wrote:  

I think there's definitely a lack of alpha men in US movies right now. There's hardly any main American actors as masculine as guys like Lee Marvin, Yul Brynner or Charles Bronson.

Yul Brynner - Russian
Charles Bronson - Lithuanian

There one variable thats missing here and thats Tax credit when you shoot films in UK/Canada.

If you wanna shoot part of the film in the UK or do your VFX there then you are required to have at least half of the leads or the director to be local talent. There is a very detailed formula that goes as deep as low talent like 1st AD. Hollywood studios take advantage of this and if you look at where all the big budget films are shot(or where their post work is done), this will all make sense. They can't qualify for the 25-30% tax rebate unless they hire local talent. UK/CAN/AUS is a no-brainer because they have great incentives and are filled with talent.

Wether these countries profit form this is a different story. I am not sure british tax payers would be happy paying $35 million in tax rebate just so their local talent can get work if they knew most of that money went to the talent's agent/publicist/manager(LA) and an overpriced mansion(LA).

Quote: (07-08-2015 03:50 PM)Game_Started Wrote:  

I don't know. Robert Downey Jr, Chris Pine, Tatum, Pratt, Chris Evans, Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel, even possibly gay dudes Tom Cruise and Jeremy Renner. Wouldn't exactly label them 'asexual'

The only non-US actors I could think of are Colin Farrell, Tom Hardy, Daniel Craig, the aforementioned Liam Neeson and Henry Cavill (the new Superman). For the longest time I thought Jude Law was gay.

Consistent with his criticism. The dudes you named are almost all old enough that they couldn't reasonably be called "millenials".

I would not be shocked if Irishmen take over the film industry.
Well, I take that back, it is a small country after all. But they're considered to be fairly manly and good-looking. Some of the more "in demand" Europeans.

Its not like acting is a masculine hobby. I remember gays and possibly gays filling those classes in school. The Hollywood gay Jews probably just want foreign butts to poke right now, its a phase.

Some of the older American actors play pretty masculine roles.

Brad Pitt in Fury. George Clooney in The American and Michael Clayton.

Younger guys, not so much it seems.

- One planet orbiting a star. Billions of stars in the galaxy. Billions of galaxies in the universe. Approach.

#BallsWin

I posted Pajama Boy in another thread but it fits here too. There is a very obvious difference in the average American man these days.

[Image: lqzulFH.png]

Quote: (07-08-2015 03:40 PM)Natural Born Gyalist Wrote:  

What you dont like Tatum, Efron, Franco, Gosling, LeBeauof, Pattison, Lautner, Lutz?

Unjust to put Gosling in there; he can act.

Aside from the Asexuality of the actors in America, another issue is the "Apatowization" of actors (i.e. look at the male characters in Judd Apatow films). They're clumsy, foolish, and none look like they've ever seen the inside of a weight room. I just watched Neighbors with Seth Rogen ( yes neighbors wasn't directed by Apatow, but Seth Rogen and the typically character type he plays was bred from Apatow's films) and his character is cringeworthy. Watch the scenes where he gets into an argument with his wife. He's supplicating, wants her to lead, and is overall clumsy and wimpy. Like Ray Romano of the small screen, these characters are depicting men as foolish chumps who would be lost without their wives. Sadly, I think men take cues of these shows/movies and think it's ok or even endearing to behave this way. Me personally, I've been trying to live life by the acronym WWGKD: What Would Ghengis Khan Do?

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.

He's got a point but calling American men 'Asexual' is wrong, wrong and wrong!

If anything we are hypersexual and overly masculine. Let me explain.

1) American Male Hypersexuality: We glorify, pursue, idealize and pedestalize sex more than any other males on the planet. I didn't realize this until i started partying with international students at my school. Asians, Euros, South Americans mostly. For these guys, sex and getting girls was simply a part of life not an indispensable metric on which they based their self worth. They were happy with or without girls. They would rarely lower their standards for a quick lay after last call. I've also noticed they would talk to girls more like normal people instead of the typical American approach of immediately switching into game/i gotta impress her mode. Most would just go to clubs and have fun among themselves, drinking and laughing instead of lurking around the dance floor like predators like most of us Americans do.

2) We are overly masculine: We sure have our share of skinny hipsters and effeminate sissy boys but on average I'd say we are taller, more muscular, louder and more assertive than most men in the world.

Our masculinity however is an exaggerated caricature type of masculinity which seems fragile & lacks any semblance of subtlety or class. European and Aussie men have a sort of quiet mellow sort of confidence.

American masculinity is like gold chains, ice grills and a Camaro. In your face! Euro/Aussie masculinity is like a custom suit, Aston Martin and Cuban cigars.

Example: Vin Diesel is arguably the most masculine American actor at the moment

But who would you trust more as your boss or leader of your tribe? These British/Aussie guys ...

[Image: jason-statham-image-body-1323057301.jpg]

[Image: gty-462604308.jpg?w=1000&h=1192]

OR THIS GUY???

[Image: vin-diesel.jpg]

Macho posturing (our style) Vs Quiet confidence

Maybe that's what Michael Douglass wanted to say. Regardless, quiet masculinity and class should be taught in American public schools.

Maybe american male actors are not well liked world wide. North American box office receipts are about 33% of total revenue, 67% from overseas. I imagine more Chinese males will be used as revenues from China increase.

bottom up, top down

Not really a surprise, its society in general.

Americans are dreamers too