rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

moving to Medelline

moving to Medelline

Hello & thank u for taking the time to read my post!
I have been contemplating the thought of moving to colombia,specifically medellin.
I am currently residing in LA ...to be honest I really don't know if I love this city or if I am in a comfort zone...I'm constantly unhappy,but find myself to never being able to leave it...I work & make real good money,live in a nice house & drive an amazing brand new car...with all that, I can't find a descent social life here, a good circle of friends nor a descent lady to love & be loved by. I have no family around & find that I am in desperate need of a significant other & few good friends ...
I feel everyone is tired to do anythin other than spending all there paycheck on clubbing or trying to get into a club ...I find it hard to make friends & meet girls other than the nightclub scene...& y'all know what kind of relationships usually are when introduced in such places...with all respect to all whom found happiness there..
I went to medellin couple of years ago & fell in loooove with the city & people .to be very honest,I spent most of the time in the cottage house riding horses, drinking guaro & living the relaxed laid back life, which I adored.. I was in the city a few times & find it ok there..again, didn't really mix much ..but I sure did like the easy going night outs & most importantly the hot hot women...

I graduated in Business Admin. ,been working in high luxury retail for over 12 yrs...to name couple "versace & d&g" and much more...
I am currently working for one of the world's most exclusive men's clothin & hold a managerial position ..allowing me to make exceptional money ...which by the way, I see none saved by the end of the month & don't know how that happens...the system here is crazy scary,the more u make the more in debt u are, the deeper u sink ur roots in the swamp ..

Now with all this, if I get fired today,I'm dead tomorrow due to the fact of the high recurring fixed monthly bills such as the suppppper high housing cost along with car/insurance cost..so in other words I do not feel any secure ..and looking at the economy I find it super hard to find a good paying job at this moment anywhere, so that's another worry. Yes,I love my paycheck but I hate my job..that's why I'm thinking about all the other options...

Now do u think I'm crazy to leave a good source of income & move to medellin for a good happy social life? That if medellin is a good place to find friends & honest love..

I was hoping to teach english there until I learn the language ..do english teachers make any good money to help with appt, food & couple of dine outs?
Do you think after I learn the language,it would still be hard to find a descent paying job..living on the upper middle class ..

Or am I living in the non-reality of "the grass is always greener on the otherside"

Anyone can help?

moving to Medelline

Teaching English in Colombia will just BARELY pay ur bills. You will have to get shared accommodations, live on cheap, like most of the locals.

Id suggest getting a real plan before you make such a drastic change.

Even if you learn the language getting a real job is highly difficult.

moving to Medelline

Forgot to add, you need to get a CELTA (cost like 1-2 G's) or some other TEFL certificate too.

If your lucky after teaching for awhile and making connections you can land a Uni job.

moving to Medelline

not a good plan. U'll make about $500 a month. You can get work without a CELTA/TEFL. However getting a work Visa MAY require one, not sure, a Diploma might suffice. Without the work visa you can only stay 6 months. At least check the place out before you plan on moving there full time. A gringo with zero spanish in Medellin probably isn't getting much ass or quality ass anyway

moving to Medelline

Quote: (06-01-2011 08:02 PM)redneckpunk Wrote:  

not a good plan. U'll make about $500 a month. You can get work without a CELTA but without it you won't get a work visa, which means you can only stay 6 months. At least check the place out before you plan on moving there full time. A gringo with zero spanish in Medellin probably isn't getting much ass or quality ass anyway

I realize u said u went down there but for how long? There is a tremendous difference between a few weeks in a place and living there. You only notice the good things if you are there a short amount of time, but the crappy things start creeping out the longer you stay anywhere.

moving to Medelline

I left the US with next to nothing, so I had next to nothing to lose.

It's hard to get off that treadmill once you get on. Since you live in LA, good spanish would be a nice skill to have, but walking away from a well-paying job is a big decision. You are gonna make peanuts teaching English, although you will earn enough to live all right. Guaro is cheap, so is your daily bread. You have to want to live hand-to-mouth for a while and get your jollies learning enough Spanish to flirt with the girls here, learning how to dance, going to some kick-ass parties, and seeing some things you can't quite believe exist. If you get a warm fuzzy feeling from seeing the effects of your teaching, well thats another thing to consider.

The way these threads usually go, is that there's a lot of people on this forum who have the goal of making bank, making it fast, and then retiring 4 hour workweek style. Some people have actually done it. They will tell you not to walk away from a big paycheck. I never really wanted to go after money, I am doing what I want and trying to get the money later on from just doing what I love. You have all this money, yet you can't seem to save it, and you buy things that make you miserable enough to contemplate being a pauper in Medellin. And you don't feel like you have a social circle or women besides. I think you already know the answer, but you're scared to just dive in.

Worst thing happens, you go to Medellin for six months, decide you don't like it, and then come back and start from scratch in LA (or somewhere else). If you think that would be the end of the world, then stay put. Otherwise, life is too short to wonder about such things.

moving to Medelline

I really appreciate each and every input...
It is a real difficult decision I have to make...
AJAICO ...I salute u for the brave move...where did u move from? & are you happy in Bogota? Do you recommend the move to Medellin? Do you have any contacts that might be of help in medellin?
That's what is goin in my head... "the world is NOT coming to an end " & I can always come back & start from scratch which should not b of any issue...I am growing older by the day & not much memmories to carry along ...except my sorrow of not making the move..
But sometimes u gotta prioritise & think with ur head ,not ur heart... this said I would really need to consider finding an affordable SAFE housing & a descent job...any portals on where I can locate such?
do you think it would be feasable to find someone who is willing to provide an appartment/housing for free as long as I assist with there english language needs?

moving to Medelline

Hey Kharmakov,

I moved from LA myself. All that Spanish being spoken made me want to learn the language once and for all. Happy as a clam in Bogota. I have only really spent a week and a half in Medellin, had an awesome time. It's a wonderful city. There's a bunch of people on this forum there, maybe they can give you more of a lowdown on relocating there specifically. Bogota has more opportunities I reckon, simply because it is three times bigger than Medellin and the capital.

Try some websites to begin with.

http://medellinliving.com/

That one is run by a gringo who lives in Medellin part time. Lots of good articles and info there.

http://colombia.vanillaforums.com/dashbo...try/signin

Sign up for that forum, the moderator has to approve you. Lots of helpful folks there, many of whom live in Medellin.

Get your feet wet, surf around, talk to some people who made the move. Don't make any rash decisions, just do some poking around and see what daydreams it inspires you to have. You can ask about rent, neighborhoods etc. I tend towards the "it's all safe enough" end of the spectrum, but maybe I should worry more often. But honestly you should be fine in a normal stratus 3 or above neighborhood. I don't think it is feasible that you can pay your rent with English lessons, although I have had rent paid by the school I was working for. Depends on if you want to get that CELTA degree (it takes a month) and work at teaching.

If you have any more questions, feel free. At least LA has nice weather and good tacos.

moving to Medelline

the title of your post says it all. you probably need to learn how to spell the name of the city before moving there. having said that, i'm all for it, just don't rush, do you homework beforehand, then......jump!

moving to Medelline

If you're earning Great money and not saving,and want a way out:

Sell your house or better rent it out ,downsize and cut all your costs!
Bank some coin...$20,000 min if you want to move proper.
Go to Medellin or wherever it is you want.
See if you like it enough longterm.
Stay if you do.
If you don't you still got your house in LA!
Sorted [Image: smile.gif]