rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Minds.com social networking

Minds.com is a new open source social networking platform that I'm hoping will not necessarily replace Facebook, but perhaps live along side it as a refuge from the mundane and inane mindlessness that permeates every aspect of the online social world.

The landing page reads:

Quote:Quote:

Regain control of your social world.

Free and open source. Encrypted messenger. Unrestricted newsfeed. Unlimited reach

It seems like they've taken the steps towards encouraging a safe place for open minded discussion, though it seems there are more viral marketing types on there than actual users, it looks like it has potential to be something special.

Are any of you guys on it or heard of it?

Not as simple at it seems:

Quote:Quote:

A Network that rewards you with reach.
for every mobile vote, comment, remind, swipe, & upload you earn points which can be exchanged for views on posts of your choice. It's a new web paradigm that gives everyone a voice.

So essentially you are paying for views with your participation to the site. Instead of cold hard cash like Facebook wants from you, this site asks for traffic essentially. I will check this out and see how it works.

Meh, the "participate to get heard more!" mechanic seems to force unneeded use and participation, that's like a viral marketer's wet dream. Spam likes and comments to get heard easier. Seems pretty trashy, FB seems like the more "sane" alternative for normal discussion. Rewarding pwople for inane participation is even worse than twitter

If you don't like Facebook, you shouldn't be into any of this crap. The only reason someone would participate in this over FB is to be a contrarian.

I like the idea of Facebook, I just don't like the ridiculous amounts of inane shit that it attracts. I sort of envision minds attracting a slightly more sophisticated crowd.

Also I can support the idea of increased reach for public development - if it weren't for spam marketers. It would be a way to encourage openness and interaction between product developers and the public to come to a greater understanding of the desires and requirements. This is a way I can see that both developers and consumers could benefit from the site. Almost entirely unlikely to pan out in that direction, I guess.

I have recently set up an account on Minds.com. Anybody want to connect?

I just signed up myself as well.