rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best book recommendations you have ever received? Post them

I could say that those of Robert Greene..

Here a review,amazing channel..

[Image: 9781846042843.jpg]

[Image: Viktor-Frankl-quotation.jpeg]

Meditations - Marcus Aurelius

Given to me by my Dad when I was about 15/16. It had a profound effect on me, and my philosophy on life. I still read it regularly. If I showed any wisdom in my younger years, it was in recognising the profound importance of this text. It has been an invaluable companion in my growth into masculinity. It is my belief that it is the greatest work of philosophy ever produced, and should be the nearest thing to a religious text for Godless heathen, like me.

Here are some of my favorites., in no particular order. There are reviews/summaries on this forum:
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
Arnold: Education of a Bodybuilder by Arnold Schwarzenegger
Enjoy the Decline by Aaron Clarey
Influence: The Psychology of Persuausion by Robert Cialdini
Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery
48 Laws of Power by Robert Green
Tao Te Ching by Stephen Mitchell
Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway by Susan Jeffers
Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl
Dhammapada, Teachings of the Buddha
Walden by Henry David Thoreau
Myths to Live By by Joseph Campbell
The Bhagavad Gita
The War of Art by Steven Presfield
7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
The Millionaire Course by Marc Allen
How to Fail at Everything and Still Win Big - Scott Adams
The Luck Factor - Richard Wiseman
A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

I myself have slowly been going through Mike Cernovich's (Mike CF on this forum) list of book recommendations.

Think and Grow Rich is the best book I have ever read.

I like the old original version even with its outdated examples of success: 'he went on to create a fortune of 34,000 dollars'.

For me, I hate how many people ignore literature as a means of gaining insight and knowledge. You can learn just as much or more from a good piece of literature than any non-fiction work.

These are some of the best books I have ever read.

Russian Literature (my personal favourite):

The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky
The Idiot - Dostoevsky
Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky
Demons - Dostoevsky
The Adolescent - Dostoevsky

Dead Souls - Gogol

Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
The Death of Ivan Ilyich - Tolstoy

The Master and the Maragrita - Bulgakov

General Literature:

Oliver Twist - Dickens
David Copperfield - Dickens

The Trial - Kafka

To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee

Catch-22 - Heller

A Clockwork Orange - Burgess

Les Miserables - Hugo

Don Quixote - Cervantes

History:

Trail of Socrates - Plato

History of the Peloponnesian War - Thucydides

The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Gibson

Das Kapital and The Communist Manifesto - Marx

Helter Skelter - Bugliosi and Gentry

Philosophy/Science/Politics:

Cosmos - Sagan

Two Treatises of Government - Locke

The Leviathan - Hobbes

An Inquiry Concerning Human Understanding - Hume

Critique of Pure Reason - Kant
Fundamental Principles of the Metaphysics of Morals - Kant
Critique of Practical Reason - Kant

Federalist Papers - Jay, Madison, and Hamilton

Philosophy of Right - Hegel

Democracy in America - Tocqueville

The Origin of Species - Darwin

Civil Disobedience - Thoreau

Civilization and Its Discontents - Freud

Political Order in Changing Societies - Huntington

Read all of these books and you will have a much greater understanding of the world around you than you did before.

Fiction:

A Moveable Feast by Hemingway. Losely based around Hemingway's life in Paris as an expat with other famous writers, undoubtedly embellished.

Non-Fiction:

1491 by Charles C Mann. Fascinating history of the America's before Colombus, the old world before contact with the Americas, and the effect that the contact had on the whole world.

A1, Can you post a link for Meditations?

Found several translations, each with mixed reviews.

Thanks

Quote: (06-08-2015 12:36 PM)dro323 Wrote:  

A1, Can you post a link for Meditations?

Found several translations, each with mixed reviews.

Thanks

https://hrvip.files.wordpress.com/2014/0...relius.pdf

Many people seem to swear by this edition, translated by Hays.

Quote: (06-08-2015 12:22 PM)Sonsowey Wrote:  

Fiction:

A Moveable Feast by Hemingway. Losely based around Hemingway's life in Paris as an expat with other famous writers, undoubtedly embellished.

If I recall at the end of the book, he talks about how one night he was drunk and Fitzgerald was upset about the size of his penis because of something that his girlfriend or wife said. so Hemingway took him down the street at one of the Michelangelo sculptures and made him look at the dick on it and said, "See bro, you're not so bad."

Cool book, Hemingway was legit.

Atlas Shrugged. The Count of Monte Cristo (talk about inner game!). The Bible. The Rationale Male.

Desert Solitaire - Edward Abbey

Money Wrench Gang - Edward Abbey

Freedom - Jonathan Franzen (overly liberal at times but some of the best prose I've ever read)

Glass Bead Game - Hermann Hesse

Siddhartha - Hermann Hesse

great recommendations!

I stumbled upon this free gem from 1929 a few hours ago:

THIS UGLY

CIVILIZATION

by

RALPH BORSODI

http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0303c...i.toc.html

An appetizer:

If mankind is not to be made into appendages to machines, then domestic machines must be invented capable of enabling the home to meet the competition of the factory--the right kind of machinery must be used to free man from the tyranny of the wrong kind of machinery.

It is not the machine, therefore, but the factory which needs consideration at the hands of thoughtful people.

It is the factory, not the machine, which proliferates at a rate which man has found impossible to control, and which is so relentlessly mechanizing the whole of life and reducing all (except the relatively few blessed with administrative genius) to mere cogs in a gigantic industrial machine.

It is the factory, not the machine, which makes railroads and steamship lines absolute necessities and which makes city and country dependent upon our lines of mass-transportation.

It is the factory, not the machine, which is reducing all men and all commodities to a dead level of uniformity because the factory makes it impossible for individual men and individual communities to be self-sufficient enough to develop their own capacities.

It is the factory, not the machine, which destroys both the natural beauty and the natural wealth of man's environment; which fills country and city with hideous factories and squalid slums, and which consumes forests, coal, iron and oil with a prodigality which will make posterity look back upon us as barbarians.

It is the factory, not the machine, which is responsible for the fact that we now make things primarily for sale rather than primarily for use; that we make things as cheaply as possible instead of as substantially as possible.

It is the factory, not the machine, which encourages wastefulness and which makes us measure products in terms of money instead of in terms of the labor involved in making them and the worth of the materials of which they are composed.

It is the factory, not the machine, which tends to decrease the number of men engaged in production and which condemns more and more people to the idiotic task of flunkeying for one another.

It is the factory, not the machine, which is responsible for the class antagonisms and for the foolish and often bloody strikes which disgrace the supposedly enlightened and progressive industrialized countries.

It is the factory, not the machine, which is destroying the skilled craftsman to whom work is a means of self-expression as well as a means of support.

It is the factory, not the machine, which creates the citizen who lacks a sustained interest in government; which destroys the initiative and self-reliance of men by making them into mere machine-tenders and clerks in factory offices.

It is the factory, not the machine, which has transformed man from a self-helpful into a self-helpless individual and which has changed mankind from a race of participators in life to a race of spectators of it. By destroying the economic foundations of the home it has robbed men, women and children of their contact with the soil; their intimacy with the growing of animals, birds, vegetables, trees and flowers; their familiarity with the actual making of things, and their capacity for entertaining and educating themselves. If we live in flats and hotels, eat from tin cans and packages, dress ourselves in fabrics and garments the design of which we only remotely influence, and entertain ourselves by looking at movies, baseball and tennis and listening to singing arid music, it is due to the fact that we have applied the factory technique, not the machine technique, to sheltering, feeding, clothing, and entertaining ourselves.

Finally, it is the factory, not the machine, which is responsible for the extension of the soul-deadening repetitive labor that is the greatest curse of this civilization. Not only are the natural-born robots of the nation condemned to perform the same identical operation hour after hour and day after day, but those who are capable of creative work in the crafts, the arts and the professions are forced to conform to repetitive cycles because the factory leaves open no field in which they may exercise their talents and live. In some cases it entirely destroys the market for their services; in others, it limits the market to a small part of what it should be in a great civilization. We have a great market only for the mass-producers of culture--for mass-art: rotogravure; for mass-literature: newspapers and magazines; for mass-drama: movies. This is the ugliest crime of which the factory, not the machine, is guilty. Accepting the democratic dogma that the individual, no matter how gifted, must be subordinate to the welfare of the mass, mankind is forgetting that the destruction of conditions which make it possible for superior individuals to impose their tastes upon society means the destruction of any really desirable way of life for all of the race.

Deus vult!