rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Movie about N.W.A.: Straight Outta Compton

Not sure if this should go in the Dr. Dre thread but this looks like it could be decent:

They did a good job of picking actors who look like them. Edit: Ice Cube is played by his son.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Not sure about the movie, but that album and that group are one of the best ever.

I saw the trailer a while back. I can't wait to see this.

“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”-Otto von Bismarck

They already made a movie about NWA back in the early 90s: Straight Outta Locash

I''ll fuck ya sister, I'll fuck ya cat, I would fuck ya mom but the bitch is too fat!

You know it's legit because a dude was murdered on the set...

Quote:Quote:

Suge Knight Allegedly Killed Someone On The Straight Outta Compton Set

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Suge-Knig...69483.html

Video: http://www.tmz.com/2015/03/09/suge-knigh...rking-lot/

"Our art is a reflection of our reality."

I love that. I'll definitely watch this. Even though I've never listened to any of their stuff (minus Straight Outta Compton and Express Yourself).

Quote: (05-31-2015 11:27 AM)Basil Ransom Wrote:  

You know it's legit because a dude was murdered on the set...

Quote:Quote:

Suge Knight Allegedly Killed Someone On The Straight Outta Compton Set

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Suge-Knig...69483.html

Video: http://www.tmz.com/2015/03/09/suge-knigh...rking-lot/

More thorough report of incident here..

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/fe...ta-compton

Terry Carter(the deceased)was the guy who started Heavyweights Records with Ice Cube. Suge Knight co-founder of Death Row Records(who has a real chequered history) is the accused,although they were said to be friends.

Looks like things from the 90's are still simmering!

Quote: (05-31-2015 05:54 AM)scotian Wrote:  

They already made a movie about NWA

I'm definitely going to see this movie.
I grew up listening to NWA.
What makes this movie a must watch for me is that Dr. Dre and Ice Cube had a hands on approach to making sure this movie was accurate in what acutally happened instead of what a bunch of people that weren't there were told through gossip.

Quote: (06-01-2015 12:16 AM)kinjutsu Wrote:  

What makes this movie a must watch for me is that Dr. Dre and Ice Cube had a hands on approach to making sure this movie was accurate in what acutally happened instead of what a bunch of people that weren't there were told through gossip.

I hope the actors playing Ice Cube and Eazy-muthafuckin-E knew what they were in for. It's a pretty tall order to try to represent those extreme personalities. They were also really exceptional at what they did, which isn't always easy to recapture.

I want to see this the weekend it comes out, but trying to portray the late Eazy-E is such a tall order I hope it doesn't come off as a joke.

I remember when that album first came out. I was in college. It's hard for guys to imagine now, but those songs were mind-blowing (at least to me). I couldn't believe they were saying the things they were saying. No one had ever made a record like that before.

On an unrelated note, I heard that the D.O.C. was getting his vocal chords operated on, and may be able to rap again.

Quote: (05-31-2015 09:06 AM)JayMillz Wrote:  

Take an already hugely successful song and sample the baseline and folks think you did something

Eazy-E was always one of my heroes. The little guy with a high-pitched voice who started from nothing and achieved fame and fortune. His early death ensured his place in history.

Learn Spanish Game Latinas
http://pickupspanish.com/

Quote: (06-03-2015 11:27 PM)JayMillz Wrote:  

Take an already hugely successful song and sample the baseline and folks think you did something

Well I don't see the big deal since the whole rap genre is based on the sampling premise, but yeah, 90's g-funk is largely based on samples of 70's p-funk.

Looks like dudes from LA are trying to bring back jherri curls too

G-funk as a kid brought me to P-funk, which I fell in love with as a teenage bassist. Which, of course led me to other artists in the funk genre of that era, as well as disco, and older R&B. Pop, too - I mean, you remember "Regulate" right? I ate it up. Bootsy was a hero of mine.

So that's what hip-hop is good for - teaching kids a slight history of music, if you look for it.

Puffy did it with 80s pop songs, in the 90s. Pharrell has done it. Lots of artists do it, and I love finding the originals.

So yeah, you could say that I have NWA to thank for the introduction to those older songs.

I'll catch a matinee.

Ice cube in the movie is played by Ice cube's son O'Shea. From what I've heard regarding the screeners, the movie is going to be fire!

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

Have any of you guys read Jerry Heller's book "Ruthless"? I'm thinking of buying it.

This movie was the shit!!!

i watched it yesterday with a couple of my guys. I loved it! Seriously great. I couldn't wait to watch it. Ice Cube's son killed it in portraying his father. I liked the fact that Dr. Dre was there making sure that every scene was accurate as possible.

One thing I didn't know was that even though artists became rich back in the day, they still kept it real gangster, as in they killed people who posed a threat to their albums. Almost like some Mafia, cartel type business.

I was also interested to see how the Jerry Heller character was going to be portrayed. I heard in the news that Jerry Heller went to the movies last night with lawyers, ready to sue if he was portrayed in a negative light.

All in all, I liked the movie. Two of my white friends were taken a little bit back at the portrayal of the white cops. They thought they made them look exaggeratedly evil. It is what it is though.

Quote: (08-15-2015 12:46 PM)MidWest Wrote:  

i watched it yesterday with a couple of my guys. I loved it! Seriously great. I couldn't wait to watch it. Ice Cube's son killed it in portraying his father. I liked the fact that Dr. Dre was there making sure that every scene was accurate as possible.

One thing I didn't know was that even though artists became rich back in the day, they still kept it real gangster, as in they killed people who posed a threat to their albums. Almost like some Mafia, cartel type business.

I was also interested to see how the Jerry Heller character was going to be portrayed. I heard in the news that Jerry Heller went to the movies last night with lawyers, ready to sue if he was portrayed in a negative light.

All in all, I liked the movie. Two of my white friends were taken a little bit back at the portrayal of the white cops. They thought they made them look exaggeratedly evil. It is what it is though.

That movie was tight. Probably the best biopic i've seen in the last twenty years.

I mean, this did involve surge knight, and it was pre-Biggie vs. Pac. So some of that violence made sense.

And the cops - well, probably some exaggeration, but hey, rodney king happened. An unnecessary drug war happens. You can't argue with that, you know? It's funny how small government conservatives lambast government bureaucracies for being corrupt (rightly so), but they always have a blindspot for the PO-LICE, a generally underpaid bureaucracy with a lot of power ie. the recipe for corruption.

Really powerful at the end how you see the entire progeny of these guys. The influence they had on hip hop, and by that extension, modern pop music is profound - Pac, Snoop, Eminem, 50 Cent. Really makes you appreciate Dre.

i watched it yesterday with a couple of my guys. I loved it! Seriously great. I couldn't wait to watch it.

F Gary Grey the director said the DVD directors cut will be almost 4 hours long..

I highly recommend it, and even if you're not a fan of NWA, it's a great drama on it's own too.

I just got finished seeing it too it was good. Thought it was interesting that Heller was the only major character from the movie not consulted when they were making the movie.