rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Metric free weight increments

In the States, free weights at my gym are separated in half,5, 10, 25, 35, 45 pounds increments.

How is this done in the metric system?

Standard weights are:

1.25kg
2.5kg
5kg
10kg
15kg
20kg
25kg
50kg

I have seen 0.5kg plates in the past but most gyms don't buy them.

We have 0.5kg and 0.25kg plates at my powerlifting club, but most gyms wouldn't have them.

I bought 2x0.5kg rubber plates for $9 years ago to use in the press (if Í'm not at the club), as it's a hard lift for me to add 2.5kg on.

I'm going to be moving over to the UK this July.

Lets say my bench is 200 lbs, squat is 250 lbs, and deadlift is 300 lbs.

Would it makes sense just to convert it over to Kg and round it to the near tenth?

Quote: (05-21-2015 08:50 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

Would it makes sense just to convert it over to Kg and round it to the near tenth?

What other alternative is there?

Quote: (05-21-2015 08:26 AM)StrikeBack Wrote:  

We have 0.5kg and 0.25kg plates at my powerlifting club, but most gyms wouldn't have them.

I bought 2x0.5kg rubber plates for $9 years ago to use in the press (if Í'm not at the club), as it's a hard lift for me to add 2.5kg on.

I bought some diving ankle weights that were 0.6 kg and I just throw them on to micro-load on assistance movements, and to get as close to my percentages on my main 531 lifts as possible. Works great and cheaper than buying platemates etc which are quite expensive here.

Quote: (05-21-2015 09:04 AM)CrashBangWallop Wrote:  

What other alternative is there?

None, i'm more concerned about the way weights increase. The math just all made sense to me a little bit ago so pardon the dumb.

Whenever in my life I need to calculate pounds from meters or otherwise I always picture a 100kg barbell (two 20kg plates on each side) and a 225pound barbell ( two 45 pound plates each side) and then calculate from there. Even trough this is not completely accurate this is what bro science has taught me.

Including the standard olympic bar (25kg)

220lbs is 100kg - 4 x 20kg plates or 2 x 25kg, 2 x 10kg & 2 x 5kg

140kg is 308lbs - 6 x 20kg or 2 x 25kg, 2 x 20kg, 2 x 10kg & 2 x 5kg

Depending upon the gym you go to you may have luck with the 1.25kg plates which are second to the smallest plate you can have. Major gyms do not have these or smaller but BB and weightlifting gyms do.

If you want an easy way to learn lbs to KG conversion just find out the weights of KG in pounds such as 70/80/90/100 etc. Depending on what lifts you do and memorise them.

Or simply download a weightlifting app. It has a bar loader on it with every type of weight and two different male/female bars as standard.

Olympic bars are 20kg.

Ah yes, I made a typo. I did the calculations in 20kg though.

I have used bars which were 25kg. Probably cheap chinese knockoffs.

Quote: (05-27-2015 12:36 PM)Foolsgo1d Wrote:  

Ah yes, I made a typo. I did the calculations in 20kg though.

I have used bars which were 25kg. Probably cheap chinese knockoffs.

Usually when I buy Chinese knockoffs, I end up with less metal not more [Image: icon_mrgreen.gif]

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

My thinking is,

I add 5-10 lbs to all of my lifts on a gradual basis.

From this graph:
[Image: aq2cg.gif]

A 5lbs gain on a lift does not equal a 5kg gain. It's much different.

Will switching from pounds to kilograms change how quickly my gains are made?

Just add 2.5 kg / 5 kg to your lifts instead then. It's a slightly larger increase, but no big deal.