rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal

Did a search for a metal thread, but didn't find one, so excuse me if there is one already. Forum needs some metal discussion.

Here is a link to a new High On Fire song. For those of you marvelous metal fans that haven't heard HOF, you need to get on that shit. All killer, no filler throughout their entire career.

https://soundcloud.com/eone-music/hofthe...ot/s-J12yh

Get on some Sleep while you're at it. Sleep is Matt's band pre-HOF.

Tim Ferriss has also done a podcast with Rick Rubin. By far the greatest producer of all time. Yeah, he's produced a lot of questionable shit, but he produced Reign In Blood, aka the greatest album of all time. So much respect.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/05/15/rick-rubin/

Enjoy!

Heavy Metal

Can we discuss nu-metal in this thread?

Heavy Metal

Quote: (05-16-2015 12:19 PM)Lion of Judah Wrote:  

Can we discuss nu-metal in this thread?

Discuss whatever you want, brother! It's all inclusive!

Heavy Metal

Speaking of nu-metal: I've been on a major slipknot and mudvayne kick. Ryan Martinie of mudvayne has some orgasmic bass riffage. I love the slight psychedelic elements of their music. They're very underrated in the current metal scene Because they're not "tech" or "br00tal"

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Heavy Metal

Sounds like music for when the Evil Dead chicks get possessed.

Heavy Metal

Metal fan here. Pretty much into all genres of metal.

Lately, I've been listening to Visigoth's debut album a lot (power/heavy metal); epic and crunchy with a ton of varied riffage. Not flawless, but a great debut.

Then there's a barrelful of great 2015 extreme metal releases from Greece - that scene is on fire. Been mostly spinning the new Macabre Omen album from that scene - great epic black metal with a thick atmosphere.

Finally, been spinning Pagan Altar (doom/heavy metal) for the last day or so, in memory of their vocalist Terry Jones, who passed away yesterday. Truly magical stuff, what a huge loss.

Heavy Metal

Quote: (05-16-2015 12:28 PM)Soothesayer Wrote:  

Sounds like music for when the Evil Dead chicks get possessed.

Good call!

What I love most about High On Fire is their progression from Sleep-esque stonerish metal to full bore doom. So fucking doom, so fucking heavy.

I've seen them three times now and my favourite memory from having seen them is standing in front of Matt and requesting Madness of An Architect until they played it, heh.

Hoping they tour here again on the back of the new material.

Heavy Metal

Quote: (05-16-2015 12:42 PM)Shadow Wrote:  

Been mostly spinning the new Macabre Omen album from that scene - great epic black metal with a thick atmosphere.

I don't listen to a lot of BM, but I highly recommend Akhlys - The Dreaming I. Holy shit, so brutal.

Heavy Metal

Quote: (05-16-2015 12:47 PM)Other Barry Wrote:  

Quote: (05-16-2015 12:42 PM)Shadow Wrote:  

Been mostly spinning the new Macabre Omen album from that scene - great epic black metal with a thick atmosphere.

I don't listen to a lot of BM, but I highly recommend Akhlys - The Dreaming I. Holy shit, so brutal.
Great namedrop; I'm a fan of Nightbringer (Naas Alcameth's main band) so I've been listening to that album as well. Very good stuff indeed - brutal, ominous and truly immersive. The combination of ambiance and punishing riff onslaught works very well on that album. One of the best BM albums this year so far, I agree. Been a good year so far.

Heavy Metal

Hey Shadow, have you heard Knelt Rote? Their album Insignificance is the only album I like, but holy shit it's good.

I would describe it as blackened grind. Man, it's heavy as hell. Check it out!

Heavy Metal

I've heard the name in a few contexts. That band used to be a power electronics/noisegrind -band and then turned into blackened grind on further albums, right? Never checked them out, but I've heard some praise, so I'll check them out. Thanks for the rec, man.

I'm a fan of black/death like Antediluvian (whose album "Through the Cervix of Hawaah" is a modern classic already) as well as bands like Anaal Nathrakh and similar artists that combine black metal with varying degrees of grind and industrial/dystopian overtones, so your rec should be right up my alley.

Heavy Metal

Just saw POD, AAF and Hoobastank in Manchester, UK. What a show

I was there the day feminism fell...

Heavy Metal

I love loads of metal (my handle is from the band Cynic), mostly black and death, and some thrash, but this band MANILLA ROAD is more traditional/epic and they're fucking killer

I've come to really despise most women in this subculture. They're all whores and either ugly/act like men or hot/act like men, in which case it makes no difference how hot they are, they still repulse me instinctively. Anyway more music.

Mithras who are one of my favourite death metal bands. More adventurous than your average Cannibal Corpse knockoff though there's a time for that too, just these guys are quite idiosyncratic.

"As wolves among sheep we have wandered"

Heavy Metal

going to see Mastodon in NYC next week. Saw them years ago on one of their first tours.

Heavy Metal

same old shit, sixes and sevens Shaft...

Heavy Metal

Props for a HOF mention, few know them... I saw them In New Orleans, great show, look into Orange Goblin, Eyehategod (bad name... great band from new orleans) Electric wizard--all of the above =doom metal, Typo O Negative is great too, Clutch, great band from Maryland, Look into Soilent Green ---Thrash metal----along with Goatwhore....these will keep you busy for awhile...

Heavy Metal

Quote: (05-16-2015 01:16 PM)Shadow Wrote:  

...similar artists that combine black metal with varying degrees of grind and industrial/dystopian overtones, so your rec should be right up my alley.

Also, you'll probably like Antaeus even though they don't really have the industrial element:

Heavy Metal

can we discuss 70s hard rock or is it outside of the scope?

Heavy Metal

Any thrash fans? this is one of my favourite albums

Heavy Metal

Quote: (05-16-2015 11:21 PM)catoblepa Wrote:  

can we discuss 70s hard rock or is it outside of the scope?

Sleep might be alright

Heavy Metal

Classics of death metal:

Modern day death metal I've been digging:

Do you guys dig death metal? I feel like it's one of those genrees that undergoes a massive change every 2-3 years. Deathcore was one of the most recently death metal shapeshifts. It was annoying at first but really grew on me.

I don't get to often hit up a real death metal concert too often. Vaun, you're into DM, right?

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Heavy Metal

Quote: (05-17-2015 09:46 AM)Fortis Wrote:  

I don't get to often hit up a real death metal concert too often. Vaun, you're into DM, right?

I am man, I have been a fan for over 30 years. I just didnt keep up with it over the years. I am a guitarist and a lot of my music selections are driven by what I like to play, at a time as a teen it was death metal. Between '88-91, I saw a lot of shows like Napalm Death, Slayer, Sacred Reich, Corrosion of Conformity, Sepultura, Iced Earth, etc. I am blown away at how technical the music has progressed over the years.

Heavy Metal

Quote: (05-17-2015 09:53 AM)Vaun Wrote:  

I am man, I have been a fan for over 30 years. I just didnt keep up with it over the years. I am a guitarist and a lot of my music selections are driven by what I like to play, at a time as a teen it was death metal. Between '88-91, I saw a lot of shows like Napalm Death, Slayer, Sacred Reich, Corrosion of Conformity, Sepultura, Iced Earth, etc. I am blown away at how technical the music has progressed over the years.

Same dude. Didn't know you played guitar. Do you play often? I started about 9 years ago. Really helped me develop my understanding of music. I definitely "hear" things now. Before learning music, metal was just cacophony.

Heavy Metal

Gorguts and (old) Cryptopsy are awesome. The Canadians have a really unique and impressive way of doing things.

this is one of my favourite albums (and band) ever. Riffs, solos, and fretless bass are just astonishing. I recently caught the official tribute act Death To All featuring former members (inc Steve Digiorgio and Gene Hoglan from this album) and it was a blast, the guy pretending to be Chuck was pretty good, awesome to get to hear those songs played live.

Heavy Metal

Quote: (05-17-2015 10:05 AM)Fortis Wrote:  

Quote: (05-17-2015 09:53 AM)Vaun Wrote:  

Same dude. Didn't know you played guitar. Do you play often? I started about 9 years ago. Really helped me develop my understanding of music. I definitely "hear" things now. Before learning music, metal was just cacophony.

yup, metal was a big part of that too. In the 80's it was all about being technical, that sort of went by the wayside in the 90's when everything went full PC, but now I see more amazingly technical metal guitarists than there ever were before.