rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Polish Language Thread

Polish Language Thread

I've been studying Polish seriously for about 6 months or so since I can take it as part of my course at college (along with Russian and other stuff). Although I already knew some basic phrases and slang from the months I spent in Wroclaw, it was more recently that I actually learned the grammar, cases etc. From the books that I use, I estimate my Polish to be at about high A1 level/low A2 (see CEFRL chart) and although I'm making decent progress, I find that my Polish is really lagging behind my Russian. I attribute this mainly to the easiness of finding useful material in Russian and the good quality of the textbook we use in class (this one - it's really good, check it out if you're a beginner of Russian). Anyways, I believe there's other forum members who have an interest in the language. Obviously, as opposed to Russia or Ukraine you can easily get along in Poland speaking only in English but even then, the experience of living in a country changes a lot when you actually understand what's being said around you.

Without further ado, here are the books/resources that I use to learn the language:

Hurra Po Polsku 1: (textbook+Workbook)

[Image: attachment.jpg25867]   

Although this is widely thought as THE book for learning Polish from scratch, there's quite a few things I don't like about it. First of all, it tends to introduce a lot of new vocab at once without going over it at all in the subsequent chapters (following the spiral learning approach, which is better for long term memory). In addition, I find the order at which it teaches the cases to be quite confusing and weird. If you follow the book chronologically, you don't learn the Nominative plural until you've already studied the instrumental, accusative and genitive which I found a bit annoying since you can't form plurals until you're halfway into the textbook (I found the approach I learned in Russian to be much more logical, where you learn the nom. plural at the beginning). In addition, the book is completely in Polish, meaning that you won't find any explanations or anything in English so either you understand things intuitively from context or you'll have to use google translate for certain parts. Other than that, this book is just ok. The chapters and vocab are very generic for a beginner's textbook (hobbies, going on holidays, professions etc) and it more or less does the job. The exercise book is quite good as you will need to practice certain things over and over again until they stick (more on that later).

Gramatyka Dlaczego nie? (grammar exercise book)

[Image: attachment.jpg25869]   

Now this one I can definitely recommend. It's a lot thicker than the other books (250 pgs) and it focuses mainly on grammar. The reason why I like it is because it's very comprehensive and I like the way the different sections are divided into (one chapter for nouns, adj and pronouns in a variety of cases, another one just for pronouns, prepositions etc). It's hard to explain but the exercises seem to follow a logical repetition pattern and at the end of each chapter you apply at random all of what you've learned and it helps a lot with the case endings (repetition is really important). The only downside again, is that it's completely in Polish although it has a preface in several languages.

Polish Grammar in a Nutshell:

You can find this pdf all over the internet. It's supposed to cover all of the grammar but mostly I only use it for reference when I can't remember something very specific. Today for example I forgot that the verb słuchać is always followed by the genitive (unlike in Russian), so I quickly looked up the genitive in the pdf and read a brief list of the main verbs that happen to be followed by it for no apparent reason.

Other resources:

List of almost 500 conjugated verbs

Wikitionary- occasionally if I run into a new verb that doesn't happen to be in the above list, I'll look it up in here, it's pretty good.

Polish movies and music:

As always, it's very useful and painless to listen some music or watch a film in the target language (even if you don't understand everything)

A few Polish songs that I like:

Songs are specially useful since they usually repeat many words. You can look up the lyrics by googling the name of the song and "tekst" or just through this site: http://www.tekstowo.pl/

You can also find many full Polish films on Youtube although they usually don't have subtitles or the video quality is very poor. Search "Cały film" on youtube (full film) and you'll get many results there. This one is called "Galerianki" ("Mall girls"), which fellow RVF member Magicone shared on the Poland thread a while ago. It details the lives of several teenage girls that go to shopping malls in search of older men to sponsor them and get them out of poverty (Greek Kamakki's wet dream [Image: tard.gif] )

If you are curious, you can also watch Polish TV on this site, although it costs about 5 dollars/month:

http://www.ipla.tv/start

Also, here's a video by a good comedy Polish channel: (RODZAJE SINGLI - "types of single people")

^Apparently from 0:58, "żeglarz" (literally "Sailor") means player in Polish. [Image: banana.gif]

I think that's about it. Obviously Polish is not as popular as Russian but it's still a great language to learn. On my last trip to Wroclaw I was able to chat a few girls that spoke little English and overall it was a cool experience to see how I had improved after several months of study. Be sure to share any other useful resources, particularly if you are learning several slavic languages at the same time.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского

Polish Language Thread

Nice work with opening post and congrats with getting better in our language.

Quote: (04-10-2015 03:58 PM)Luisaceo Wrote:  

^Apparently from 0:58, "żeglarz" (literally "Sailor") means player in Polish. [Image: banana.gif]
Only in context of video you included:

- "Any problem (when blonde "girl" is struggling with her phone network)? I have an access to a few nets (networks)

- Hopefully you wont catch me in one of them

"Zeglarz", even if in context "Fisherman" seems to be a better choice.

Polish Language Thread

Polish is actually a pretty fun language. With a really colorful phonetic inventory. The joy of being able to say those seemingly impossible to pronounce words like"przpraszam" or "razczochrany" is very rewarding.

I "discovered" Polish by accident when I stole a book from my old German gf who was an exchange student at my college. She was still in a relationship with a Pole, while I was givin her the chocolate stick and had purchased the book to be able to communicate with the guy's family.

I look through the book and realize it's for German speakers but this was perfect since I knew enough German to use the book - I was simultaneously reinforcing my German while learning a whole other language.

I've since stopped studying Polish and went on to learn a bit of Bulgarian, but now I'm completely obsessed with Russian! I hope to return to studying Polish and other Slavic languages soon. Poland has a a very interesting history at the dead center of Europe wedged between what once where the Prussian. Austro-Hungarian, and Russian Empires.

The book that I stole: Polnisch für Selbstlerneren. It's published by Langenscheidt and I think it was pretty good although I did not have the audio discs.

Polish Language Thread

I should also add that since learning Polish, I've had the most amusing time, especially in the military where you always see each others last name, og being able to identify White Americans of Polish descent and tell them the proper Polish way to say their surnames. A brotha educating White folks on their European heritage - priceless!

Polish Language Thread

KUUUUUURWA!!! Mój polski jest jak papier toaletowy. Do dupy!!! Kocham, kocham, kocham końcówki polskich słów I gramatykę. Nigdy nie zrozumiem!!! To jest kurwiście szalone i nie ma sensu!!!

Ale próbuję… [Image: wink.gif]

Polish Language Thread

Control yourself, are you 15?

Polish Language Thread

I guess you missed the sarcasm. Oh well…

Have a great day!!!

Polish Language Thread

Quote: (04-10-2015 08:34 PM)choichoi Wrote:  

Polish is actually a pretty fun language. With a really colorful phonetic inventory. The joy of being able to say those seemingly impossible to pronounce words like"przpraszam" or "razczochrany" is very rewarding.

I "discovered" Polish by accident when I stole a book from my old German gf who was an exchange student at my college. She was still in a relationship with a Pole, while I was givin her the chocolate stick and had purchased the book to be able to communicate with the guy's family.

I look through the book and realize it's for German speakers but this was perfect since I knew enough German to use the book - I was simultaneously reinforcing my German while learning a whole other language.

I've since stopped studying Polish and went on to learn a bit of Bulgarian, but now I'm completely obsessed with Russian! I hope to return to studying Polish and other Slavic languages soon. Poland has a a very interesting history at the dead center of Europe wedged between what once where the Prussian. Austro-Hungarian, and Russian Empires.

The book that I stole: Polnisch für Selbstlerneren. It's published by Langenscheidt and I think it was pretty good although I did not have the audio discs.

Knowing Russian certainly helps a lot with Polish. Even if the languages are not that similar in terms of the content, words etc (Polish has more slavic words while Russian has more English and French cognates for example) I find the grammar to be very similar. The cases seem to work in almost identical ways and I often find it useful to think of Russian equivalents of certain words (dokąd? + GEN = куда? +ACC) etc. Bulgarian I've heard, is the only slavic language that lost the case system so I'd expect it to be relatively easy.

Тот, кто не рискует, тот не пьет шампанского