rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Flat Feet: Solutions?

Anyone else suffering from flat feet? I basically have no arches and lately have been experiencing lower leg pain, although I would describe it more of a discomfort. Anyway, I run on the treadmill about 3 times per week but it's just getting worse and worse on my legs. I don't want to stop running altogether. The doc says inserts will help. Any other possible solutions?

And when you run, you are using highly supportive 'athletic' shoes, correct?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, of course, but in this case the prevention and the treatment are the same. Humans evolved to walk barefoot. Next to that, the best thing is to wear moccasins or some kind of shoe with very thin soles and no support. I personally love my Asics Tai Chi shoes. The sole is super thin, and I can really feel the ground underneath my feet.

[Image: 572d1269638691-asics-tai-chi..jpg]

http://www.drgangemi.com/2012/03/flat-feet/

Maybe try running with a forefoot strike or mid foot strike. Some videos on YouTube to show how it's done and some good articles around to read. Thin soled shoes as mentioned above and forefoot striking go together.

When I switched to a more miminalist shoe, my arches actually raised to the point that I now wear a different shoe size. That doesn't seem to happen for everyone and I wasn't flat-footed to being with, but I'd definitely suggest giving it a try since it will also force you to adjust to a healthier running style.

Just make sure to ease yourself into it. I had to drastically cut down my running when I first made the jump.

Go with your doctor's advice and get custom inserts.

Can't help you there. Mine look like this

[Image: gateway.jpg]

^^Haha, dick. Yea, so I'm going for inserts today and will report back on the progress. Thanks for the advice so far, guys.

Inserts didn't help alot for me. I eventually had to switch to the elliptical machine, way easier on the joints and feet. Maybe try that or try running on trails outside? Treadmills can be very hard on your feet.

I also have flat feet. Is it possible (likely even?) that my ultra-supportive high lace steel toecap boots (and my use of them daily since age 16) has caused/exacerbated this? And if so, would switching to a thin soled shoe whenever I'm not around heavy machinery help my arches to re-develop?

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

I had good luck with "Superfoot" inserts. Not custom, but they were pretty good. Did an analysis at the Walking company on their machine to measure the arch and chose a support based on that.

https://www.superfeet.com/ About $50 I think.

Orthotics 100%. I practice about 16 hours a week for rugby and have REALLY flat feet like the rest of my family. Got them checked out and my brother had to wear them for a year before his feet "healed".

When I said I spend 16 hours a week and then some on my feet she said "oh my gosh" and it looks like I'm gonna be wearing them for the rest of my life.

Start soon! If it is unfixable, then being on your feet will only wear you out faster.