rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do you handle compliments?

I was wondering how can you handle compliments giving by girls you approached? I usually get compliments, but I end up saying thank you with a smile or having an awkward answer like "yeah..". Is there a way you can handle a compliment without coming off as too cocky or turning you into a shy 10 year old?

If this is Japan, I heard people downplay compliments to each other. I would be humble with your supervisor, but embellish with your date potentials, be like 'of course', like a strong gaijin.

Out of the woodwork, into the night, onto the moonlit veranda.

Quote: (03-20-2015 01:40 AM)Nightwing Wrote:  

If this is Japan, I heard people downplay compliments to each other. I would be humble with your supervisor, but embellish with your date potentials, be like 'of course', like a strong gaijin.

Ya that's true, with my supervisors I'd take them humbly and to be honest with most people, but do you think it is a good idea to take compliments with a joke or a slightly cocky reply? I don't want to come out as an asshole or cocky I'd rather take compliments like a man

Just say "thank you" and carry on. Jokes and cocky replies are only warranted if the compliment itself is a joke or cocky in nature.

Shush her with 3 short shushes like you would a child wile holding up your hand or placing it over hers depending on how far you are with touching.

"Shush shush shush".

You've heard it before and don't want others to hear.

This technique also works with basically anything that comes out of a womens mouth.

Thank you is usually enough. You can use the occasion to touch her.

If situation allows and you are feeling cocky, add "yeah I know/I got that a lot"

Some good comfort building way is "thanks, you have some good taste" branch out to talk about her tastes.

Ass or cash, nobody rides for free - WestIndiArchie

Depends on the compliment. If it's about physique, I go the Vegeta route:

I don't say exactly that, but it's the idea that counts. If they ask what type of exercise I do, which is often, I'll answer something like "I walk to work everyday/I do hot yoga/I do tae-bo." If they ask, specifically, "do you lift," I say something like "I lift burritos to my face"

If the compliment is something like 'you're gorgeous,' I don't really know what to say because I never get that [Image: sad.gif] but if I did, I'd probably say something like "you think so? You should talk to my mom, she always said I was ugly." Segue!

What compliments are you getting?

Smirk, say thank you and go back to making the conversation about her.

"I get that a lot" in a nonchalant tone.
It surreptitiously conveys high value while downplaying your interest in her opinion.

Her: You have the biggest dick I've ever seen on a white man.

Me: I get that a lot.

"Thank you but you can't complement me too much as it'll go to my head"

I sometimes jokingly respond with "I workout"
For example:
"Wow your car is so nice!"
"Yeah, I workout"
Say it with a dumb smirk on your face and your golden.

Grant me serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference

Her: You're (something positive - smart, handsome, fit, bald, whatever)
Me: I know

Always puts a smile on their face, assuming their English is at least decent, otherwise the cocky humor is likely to fly over their head. Else a simple "thank you" does the job.

I generally say I know or something along those lines but I'm definitely going to start shushing instead

Quote: (03-20-2015 01:46 AM)merzk Wrote:  

Quote: (03-20-2015 01:40 AM)Nightwing Wrote:  

Ya that's true, with my supervisors I'd take them humbly and to be honest with most people, but do you think it is a good idea to take compliments with a joke or a slightly cocky reply? I don't want to come out as an asshole or cocky I'd rather take compliments like a man

You don't need to take compliments like a normal man, you are gaijin, so you have to play up your gaijincard streetcred. You will always be 'other', so there is no point taking compliments normally with women. Unless, you want to mimic a normal Japanese man, which I don't think is a lifestyle you want to lead.

Be aggressive, cocky, different. Why do you think you are there? Because you are the token gaijin that provides entertainment, sort of like the thrill we get when we host New Zealanders and their wonky accents.

You are Godzilla, this is Japan. DANCE MONKEY, DANCE!

Your boss is another story, be humble, but make jokes that trigger his/her laughter, always be on the good side of your supervisors, make your superiors feel good, compliment like a goodytwoshoes.

If it's a women superior, you already know how to get it done.[Image: whip.gif]

if you are a Japanese man, act like a strong gaijinkoka around potential lovers, don't stick to the norms.

Out of the woodwork, into the night, onto the moonlit veranda.

"Thank you."

Real rocket science, this game stuff. [Image: biggrin.gif]

Kidding aside, if you're acting bashful about it, OP, the issue isn't what you're saying or what she said so much that you're just still a bit nervous around women. So I'd work on your mindset. Meanwhile, just say thanks, mean it, and then change the conversation to something else.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

This use to be an issue for me when I didn't have confidence.

Say, "Thank you, blah blah blah"

Example:
Girl - You look like you work out.
Me - Thank you, I go to the gym 4 times a week. *Be sincere* I'm glad that you noticed.
Girl - Oh that's a lot.
Me - Yeah, it is. How about you, do you workout?
Girl - Not as much as I should, but i'm trying to get to the gym more.
Me - *smile* yeah, what kind of workouts do you like?

I really like compliments. People are going out of there way to tell you how great/awesome you are. This makes me feel important. Everyone loves to feel important and needed.

Accept the compliment, but don't go off bragging about yourself. Adjust the conversation to include the other person, so they can talk about themselves and feel important too. Everyone wins!

Quote: (03-20-2015 09:14 PM)Moreless Wrote:  

This use to be an issue for me when I didn't have confidence.

Say, "Thank you, blah blah blah"

Example:
Girl - You look like you work out.
Me - Thank you, I go to the gym 4 times a week. *Be sincere* I'm glad that you noticed.
Girl - Oh that's a lot.
Me - Yeah, it is. How about you, do you workout?
Girl - Not as much as I should, but i'm trying to get to the gym more.
Me - *smile* yeah, what kind of workouts do you like?

I really like compliments. People are going out of there way to tell you how great/awesome you are. This makes me feel important. Everyone loves to feel important and needed.

Accept the compliment, but don't go off bragging about yourself. Adjust the conversation to include the other person, so they can talk about themselves and feel important too. Everyone wins!
Thanks for all the constructive feedback, actually yesterday I went out and hooked up with this Japanese girl and this happened:

Her: I like your beard! *touches my cheek with two fingers*
Me: Thanks, but you should come closer to check it out *pulling her from the waist towards me*

and we kissed! BOOOM! hahahah I think I was just over thinking it [Image: whip.gif][Image: banana.gif]

I tend to act semi oblivious to what she says, like for example

her:you have really nice cheekbones [Image: biggrin.gif]

me: really? i get that alot, but never really understood why.

this usually prompts her to feel validated in her claim that you're attractive, or built, or funny etc. kinda like being humble?

Don't know how well this does in game, but I like to act like a smart ass by evaluating the content of her compliment like a scientific statement and either agree or disagree with a straight emotionless face. It's honest, too, and absolutely doesn't come of needy - it's like completely overhearing the possibility that the compliment could affect you emotionally.

Book discussion platform: Alpha Book Club
Blog: Man Without Father

'Thank you my dear, you are not too bad yourself [Image: smile.gif] (The smile has to be there)..'

Guess this will never get too old.

Quote: (03-21-2015 08:40 AM)Edgemell Wrote:  

'Thank you my dear, you are not too bad yourself [Image: smile.gif] (The smile has to be there)..'

[Image: barf.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Quote: (03-21-2015 11:44 AM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Quote: (03-21-2015 08:40 AM)Edgemell Wrote:  

[Image: barf.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: blush.gif] But it works....[Image: angel.gif]

By the way, is that gif girl legal (at the time of the shooting anyway)? I kind of like her [Image: wink.gif]

Quote: (03-21-2015 01:08 PM)Edgemell Wrote:  

By the way, is that gif girl legal

Who cares.

Book discussion platform: Alpha Book Club
Blog: Man Without Father

Her: I like your eyes.

Me: OMG really!? That means so much to me. I want to spend the rest of my life watching over you with these eyes. They are a mirror to my soul, which I submit to you unconditionally.