rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cold Emailing, is it viable?

I'll keep the intro short and sweet here.

I just relocated to a larger area with my LTR recently, as it shaves a total of 2 hours from her daily commute. I am freelancing from my home office, currently splitting my time between graphic and web design as well as copywriting, but am looking to get something full-time at one of the marketing agencies here. Experience is not an issue, but I have no connections in this area that are in the field I want to pursue.

Curious to know if you guys have had any success with just cold emailing prospective employers. Is this a practical technique to getting my foot in the door or am I just wasting my time mashing keys that will get me nowhere? What should I include/exclude about my experience, my education, and myself?

I have landed clients this way.

I like to keep it very short and sweet. Unless there's something about the company I'd really like to hit on, I make it clear I know what they do (in other words letting them know it's not a cookie cutter spam email) and inquire whether they work with freelancers.

I think most people overcomplicate this. Just ask if they're looking for help - you're offering a service and if they need it than they need it and will be interested to talk more.

What you do NOT want is an essay about what you bring to the table, links to your website, a promise to revolutionize their business with SEO, etc. It's not that this type of thing can't work but in the case of a cold email it comes across very impersonal and spammy because the info was not requested or invited in any way.

If using the approach I've suggested, the purpose of your first email should be to the break the ice, and then you can provide more information when they invite it.

Of course, I have gotten hits on longer, more in-depth emails but they were generally well-tailored to their company. So, I won't say my way is the only way. But it has delivered some results for me and I should probably do it more often.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Cold emailing worked really well for me... Over 20% response rate and 2% conversion rate for me

just keep it simple. Short letter of introduction and a link to the website

Both of my former jobs were found through cold-emailing. I would google around for companies in my field, and then read the bios of the top people at the company - I search for something that we have in common. Usually this was i) alma matter, ii) other languages spoken, iii) nationality. I would then craft an email where I wrote 2 sentences about that that person did, and that I found it interesting. Then I wrote 2 sentences about what I have done related to that experience, and briefly introduce my background. Then, I asked if the person would be free to meet up for a 10 minute cup of coffee, at any time and place of their convenience, at which I wanted to learn more about their work. At the interview ask about how the person got to where they are and casually mention that you just moved and are looking into the field as well, and would like to keep in touch. Be nice.

I think this is way more effective than emailing resumes to HR, to be honest. This way you are speaking directly with a person who has the power to hand your resume to a decision maker, or is the decision maker himself. I read / heard somewhere that only 30% of employers actually publicly post job listings - most non-disposable employees are hired by connection or referrals before the public job posting ever hits.

Links below may be helpful. There are marketers and niche saas company's that test this stuff for a living.

https://attach.io/sales-email-templates/

http://blog.quickmail.io/

http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com/50scripts/

Maybe it was luck of the draw, but the main place I was interested in just contacted me this afternoon regarding an open position they have. Haven't heard back yet from the other seven media/design marketing agencies around here.

I made sure to keep my emails short, concise, and directed at how I wanted to help their business and at least one has responded positively to it so far.

Appreciate your input here guys.

That's awesome, Man, and kudos to you for taking action.

I suspect it was not luck of the draw. Contact more companies and you'll get more responses.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Cold emailing could work.

Have you thought about direct mailing a consulting proposal to the companies you are targeting?

A short direct response style letter delivered by fedex I'm talking about.

I've been cold e-mailing with some success lately. Not in relation to finding employment but I'm in ecommerce, have a good website, ebay and amazon stores. I've been cold emailing companies from the shark tank offering to sell their products and actually have gotten some enthusiastic responses. Now I havn't partnered up with anyone yet but I am getting discussions started. I have a few companies who were featured on sharktank recently who have gotten back to me asking me for a marketing plan, where I plan to sell their stuff, etc. Cold e-mailling if done right can work.

removed